Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

When do i get to say i told you so?

Mad max to mercedes, goes 20/20. Lewis retires before the last race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nando is old and won't even be able to get in and out of the car soon.

Mercedes has to look at the next 10 years, not the next 2. When you do that, only 2 words come up

Mad Max.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hamilton is getting on, too.

Schumacher won his last championship at 35 years old and then fell off. When he came back he just filled the seat and scooted around at a relaxed pace.

abuelo nando is going to be 36 by bucharest.

Maximum Verstappen won't be 35 for another 16 years. His last WDC will be a win over baby massa and the third rosberg.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mad max might be a dangerous idiot, but maybe that's what we need to make F1 watchable.

A full season of Verstappen, Hamilton, and vettel butting heads for an entire season, none willing to give an inch would be legendary.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Theophany posted:

He wasn't even dangerous though, Vettel was being a petulant oval office because he was expecting to sign for Ferrari and dominate like his hero Herr Schumacher the Great whilst casually forgetting Ferrari was a loving shitshow until 1999.

No, he's a hair unhinged. He's still an invincible teenager. Hell, he hit hulkenburg and spun in the first corner in the last race.

That said, he one-stopped, and where everybody said the supersofts would last ~13 laps, he went 23. If Anybody else one-stopped, they would have won that race. There is genuine skill there.

We haven't heard from Lauda yet, he probably hasn't stopped swearing long enough to give a reporter a coherent quote.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

djssniper posted:

Red Bull split strategies, and gave max the one that looked more like a race winning one, just like they did webber and vettel in Abby Dabby that time, RBR are cunts that screw over aussies

No, they knew he blew it in turn 1, and were using him to back Rosberg up to give Riccardo a better chance with the undercut. They didn't expect Hamilton to try to do the same.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, but logic would suggest at some point, in even cars, the 'faster" car would pass the one going slowly. Especially if the "faster" car would be the one to benefit from a collision.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

People probably said a lot of the same poo poo about Lauda.

Many probably still do.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

daslog posted:

Nico retired?

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyup.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think lewis loves it. He's going to go down as one of the greatest of all time, Rosberg (N) will join his father as a pub quiz trivia question.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

AgentJotun posted:

I got a trivia question for ya - Which "all time great" lost the easiest WDC ever to a pubtrivia grade driver?

Michael Schumacher, 1997?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bryter posted:

Can't believe it's 2016 and there's still no cure for being a McClaren guy.

i thought it was honda engines, but some seem immune.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24207/10681153/fleet-street-lewis-hamilton-made-nico-rosberg-retire-from-formula-1

quote:

'Hamilton lost the battle but won the war,' claim papers as Rosberg quits Mercedes and F1; Was the 'mental strain' too much?

The intense pressure of Lewis Hamilton forced Nico Rosberg into his shock retirement, according to Saturday's papers.

#blessed #44 #mindgames

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can't wait until Lauda eventually lets slip that he thinks Rosberg is a giant pussy and wouldn't have sabotaged Hamilton's engine if he figured rosberg would give up like that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think if Alonso didn't want the title, he wouldn't still be racing, and he's never going to get it at Mclaren.

I think Alonso to mercedes, Wehrlein to mclaren.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They might need to actually compete for the constructor's championship this year.

If they didn't give a poo poo, they would have announced Wehrlein in the seat yesterday.

They need a driver that can get ahead of the red bulls every once in a while.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

They need this man. He's the greatest German from an ancient family line of German champions.

The good Rosberg is Finnish.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

gret posted:

Who's the other good Rosberg besides Keke? :confused:

If i was forced to guess, i'd say Sina, and i guess she is german.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Ferrari let Kimi go a year early and paid his salary anyways, then hired him back four years later for more money to be a number 2 driver and he's now beating the number 1. I'm sure he's laughing himself to sleep every night.

Kimi don't care.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You Am I posted:

Maybe when he got married.

Maybe

Nope.

Car on fire won a race married someone whatever. Kimi don't care.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Carth Dookie posted:

Nah in his wedding photos he almost looks like an actual human capable of emotion.

Literally bursting with emotion.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Too bad nico would quit just as he first got to the city and she would have to walk to the hospital.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rosberg has a sense of humor?

I heard he laughed at joke once but it might have just been a burp.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Carth Dookie posted:

I wonder why. Its so hard to gauge McLaren's true quality this year. Is the chassis/aero great but the engine poo poo? Or is it a 50/50 split in crappiness between the two? The rules change next year is going to make it difficult to tell from the outside what the best bit of the car will be and give clues where the team's strengths and weaknesses lie on the engineering and management side.

Like, if the Merc drops back into the pack next year the likely reason will be the chassis/aero. Making that kind of guess for McLaren is harder.

Maybe the car was okay but the drivers were too old.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Carth Dookie posted:

Should've upgraded the firmware on Alonsobot?

After seeing what trouble he had with the camera, i'm not sure he's compatible with a modern F1 steering wheel.

I would think almost all aero is entirely computer designed at this point, and it all comes down to how complex of a form a team can build.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Alonsodor 64.

Fernandy 1000

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 11, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just put lauda back in the car. put his money where his mouth is. He's so good at pointing out what everyone does wrong, let him show them the right way.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raikkonen also got told to move over for Vettel a whole bunch. If he felt like racing, he probably would have more points than Vettel. He was only unleashed once Vettel crashed out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GramCracker posted:

That av is a black mark on this thread

Just like the posts beside it :smug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

I have nothing but quality well thought out posts and this avatar was inflicted on me because of other people's jealousy and petulance.

Bwoah

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

Most races are at dinnertime for me so it's also normal for me to have one or two or six beers

But that's what Sunday lunch means in Europe anyway

same but most are 6am here.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

iospace posted:

... why did he cut his hair?

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY :qq:

Mercedes wants a clean cut driver, not a dirty hippy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

El Hefe posted:

In the 80s a driver could have a season like this

In 2015, a driver could have a season like this

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Having successfully had a kid, i'm surprised he didn't quit that too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

some teenage hooligan is in deep poo poo for hooning his shitbox on a ski hill.

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/formula-1/red-bull-faces-23k-fine-for-max-verstappen-snow-stunt_sto5071149/story.shtml

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shimrod posted:

To be fair, you can't really lead from anywhere but the front.

counterpoint, nico rosberg's last 5 races of his career.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Dont make me make you the first casualty of 2017

Seems like that honour has already been claimed by your feelings :smug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Our Rossie is so skilled a driver he didn't even try to win and he still won.

If i remember correctly, he was trying pretty hard to get the team to tell Hamilton to let him by.

Really the only chance he had of passing.

Just like when he was trying to hit the apex.

He still can't believe Hamilton turned in on him like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And the germans are constant trying to stake claim to real estate they have no right to through force. In the end they always end up as just another black mark on history.

• Locked thread