Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bold prediction! It will be confirmed there will be at least one less race in 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

One change I do want is Indy style seven-segment displays on the air intakes showing the position of each car. It's extremely useful all around, and I'm sure some team could figure out some way to cheat with it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

One other change that really needs to happen: Fire Bernie into the sun.

Though that would be cruel and unusual for the sun.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bring back the F1 Indy GP. They redid the road course so Turn 1 isn't part of the course anymore.

Of course this is a good idea so it'll never happen.

Better idea: Race in Le Mans... on Sarthe :unsmigghh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm pretty sure Mercedes would do everything in its power to stop a grand prix happening on that circuit.

But think of how fast those cars would fly down the track! Use the pre-chicane config too!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Monaco getting dropped from F1 is as likely as the Indy 500 or Daytona 500 being dropped from their respective series.

Then again, this is FIA we're talking about and they have an inverse midas touch as of late.

Really, they need to bring back the French GP. Yeah technically Monaco is in France but seriously set up a race in downtown Paris.

I will give a driver who hits the Eiffel Tower a penny.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

Take them both off and replace them with Macau.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFSC9_O1H-w

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, and with the German GP out, they moved Baku so it's not conflicting with Le Mans anymore, so at least /something/ good came out of it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

julian assflange posted:

Paul Ricard isn't suitable for spectators is it?

Neither is F1 right now, to be fair.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GramCracker posted:

A new USA RACE at Road America. F1 will be fixed forever.

:allears:

As long as they don't make any changes to it, anyway (and you know they'll want to).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

None of the old layouts are ever coming back so why waste the calories?

Because salt miners need jobs

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And this is why I don't want F1 coming to Road America because they will try to change it.

Because someone will bitch that Turn 5 is too hard :qq:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

George Zimmer posted:

It'll never happen, but it would be cool if the old public road circuits came back. Montjuïch, Claremont Ferrand, or Rouen. That used to be a big, big part of the sport, and it's virtually gone except for Singapore and Monaco, which are tight and slow.

Melbourne, Sochi (Tilke), Montreal, and Baku (Tilke) are all street courses.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bring back the Dallas GP

(just don't, you know, have it in the dead of summer)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I say Are Dan, but only because he actually won a race and put on a good show in a non-Merc car :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HJB posted:

44 is half of 88

I'm reminded of that car Hitler was inspecting that had 44 as the number. I think it was posted in the in season thread

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HJB posted:

Oh yeah

Wuffles' response was pretty good too:

wuffles posted:

The irony of this image is still cracking me up.

:science: "Vell, mein Furer I have great news. In zee futcha, a decedent of zis very car vill bring Mercedes multiple Vorld Champships! But...um..."
:hitler: "But vhat!? Vhat iz zee problem!?"
:eng99: "I..I'm afraid to say, mein Furer"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Falken posted:

I just find it funny that for years they've been finding ways to slow the cars down, and make the tracks slower and safer with chicanes... and then suddenly make a bunch of sweeping changes to the cars which will make them faster, and then start cutting out the chicanes again.

It is admittedly a balancing act. Drivers (and fans) want faster cars, or at least faster lap times. Some of both want to come back home alive.

Speaking of which, halo is going in next year, right?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I want to see an F1 race at Macau...

Using nothing but Maldonado clones :unsmigghh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So NASCAR had a press conference announcing Monster Energy as the new top sponsor.

Monster dude threw shade at Red Bull saying this year and last year's WDCs were sponsored by Monster.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/french-gp-poised-for-surprise-f1-return-in-2018-855952/

:getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Now we need an American GP in the only place worthy of it: Road America :getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

The FIA would kill anything you liked about those (latter 3) tracks.

What exactly would they change?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/nico_rosberg/status/804678179017334784

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

dreesemonkey posted:

I really hope not. I haven't been impressed with Wehrlein at all. I'd like to see an established heavy hitter in there. Even someone sneaky like Perez would be fine. I don't want them to make Lewis obvious #1.

I don't want Vettel moving over, but I can almost guarantee he has exit clauses in his Ferrari contract like how he got out of RBR.

Nando would be amazing, Riciardo would be great, I might even tolerate Max (though his contract is probably iron loving clad) if he would demoralize Lewis. I can't think of anyone else that I feel would challenge Lewis.

I can possibly see Nando going, but Are Dan and Max seem to enjoy Red Bull, and they have a dynamic that seems to work.

Watch Merc sign GUT :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Astroclassicist posted:

Maldonado's time to return!

:getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Real talk: Rossi

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/RGrosjean/status/804686996581076992

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

learnincurve posted:

Oh I can think of a fair few drivers who would drive for almost free to be in that Mercedes. Vettel included. Lewis has traditionally not done well the first year after a big change owing to his not being arsed to do simulator work, a WDC and the price you can demand from sponsors and the like goes though the roof.

Who ended up roflstomping in 2014 after the change to V6T-H?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I don't get why everyone thinks Mercedes is going to be charge again when engine development gets freed up (split turbo honda in the works) and Red Bull is going to get better aero.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/wtf1couk/status/804693427363397633

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kidcoelacanth posted:

All I'm saying is that Tony Stewart just freed up his schedule............. ...... ...

Nah, he's to old. He'd be good for endurance but really that's it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MustardFacial posted:

At least now Nico can realize his true calling:

:vince:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alain Post posted:

Red Bull's main problem they will be faceing in the 2017 Formula One season is that both of their drivers are insanely bad and I want them both to suffer

Hmm... yes. Red Bull is poo poo despite taking 2nd in WCC, 3rd in WDC, and nearly 4th in WDC because

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

He hates the young. Don't worry about it.

Why did people start to hate Max anyway? Yeah he's an aggressive as gently caress driver but off the course he seems cool.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

track day bro! posted:

phwoaaaar id love to see that lad driving for the scud. also

https://twitter.com/max33verstappen/status/804720896367849476
haha

Gods the meltdowns here if he gets in the Merc.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bold Prediction A mysterious racer in a mask takes Nico's seat, going only by Rico Nosberg

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lewis on Nico's retirement:

quote:

"The sport will miss him but I wish him all the best. I am sure it is a surprise to many people. I am probably the only person who thought it was not a surprise because I've known him a long time, but this is motor racing," Hamilton said.

"This is the first time he has won in 18 years, hence why it was not a surprise that he decided to stop.

"He's got a family to focus on, and wants more children, and F1 takes so much time. Will I miss the rivalry? Of course.

"We had always talked about being champions and when I joined this team and Nico was there, which is also something we talked about when we were kids.

"It is definitely something very strange and it'll be sad to not have him in the team next year."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

Nico left the sport being the best. You either retire a winner or live long enough to see yourself become a fraud.

So... what happened to Alonso then?

• Locked thread