Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iospace posted:

So... what happened to Alonso then?

We are about to witness a comeback as glorious as Napoleon's 100 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pirate Radar posted:

I'm honestly just torn about this because on the one hand it seems really lame but on the other he did go out on a high point: helping expose Lewis as a complete dickhead

I have to suspend my decision-making about who to root for next season until we all figure out who's driving aside against Lewis

I wish he'd have given another year a go since most drivers improve after their first WDC and I think it wouldn't be impossible for him to win another one, but it was painfully obvious he wasn't enjoying himself in the last few races and with the kind of cash he has I don't know why you'd put yourself through something you don't enjoy.

We'll miss you Are Rossie.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

thegasman2000 posted:

Imagine this thread if Nando went and got demolished by Lewis. More salty tears than Hamilton fans this year for sure.

It's very difficult to envision a scenario where the levels they've driven at the past year, Hamilton beats Nando. Not saying it can't happen, I just don't see Lewis keeping it focused long enough when he couldn't even do it with Rosberg.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If Rossi can still run competitively in MotoGP then there's like zero reason to question Nando's ability to continue.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Max had one over hyped result early on and will now fade into mediocrity and midfield crashes like his father did.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

He has provided more on track entertainment than any other driver in years.

I agree. That does not make him a skilled driver though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The irony is that if I was to pick a driver closest to Max's driving style I would say Pastor.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

This is the ultimate mindgame. Nico's masterpiece.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

There's probably some mileage in that, the crucial difference is that the quality of your driving when your style is banzai is limited by your talent. Verstappen demonstrably has that in amounts Crashtor Maldonaldo could only dream of.

Basically my view is that creating an reputation that you're going to crash into people unless they move out of your way is not a skill. Look at Abu Dhabi, every guy he passed pretty much leapt out of his way because they know he's going to create an incident if they don't. People keep comparing them to Senna and Schumacher for doing the exact same thing and I agree but it should be a criticism not looked at as a good thing.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

Except those two are widely regarded as two of the best the sport had ever seen...and both raced like assholes.

I think Schumacher had genuine skill and pace, particularly in the early Ferrari years and was worse off for racing like that. Senna not so much.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

NtotheTC posted:

I hate Senna, but are you sitting there saying he didn't have genuine skill and pace? Or did you just phrase that badly.

Dude lost a championship an incredibly stupid crash into Mansell who was already black flagged. I think that sort of cancels out any inherent skill.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

To this day I'm amazed he retained the title in '95 yet was disqualified in '97 for the exact same (but shoddily executed) dick move.

'97 was so stupid because he just drove the ever living gently caress out of that shitbox Ferrari and it would've gone down as the biggest tragedy in the world if he hadn't have tried that move at the last race.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

Senna was a fraud who only got his F1 seat by bullying poor Martin Brundle. Fact.

Seriously watch that F3 doc where Senna's performance absolutely nose dived because halfway through the season Brundle decided he had enough of Senna's bullshit and let him crash. I can easily envision that scenario happening with Max.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns you watched '85 right? You should watch '90 next and complete your Ferrari history lesson.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bottas would be as boring as eating plain oatmeal while watching paint dry. If Bernie has any influence left a rematch of Alonso and Hamilton would be a huge boost to viewership.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The man who struggled to beat Massa up against Hamilton. Christ you may as well call Fast Heikki out of retirement.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

Yeah but even Brundle admits Senna was the better driver. I'm sure there was some editorial creativity in the marshals favouring the local boy and whatnot, mind.

Ya brundle does but EJ said he had to spend the first half of the season convincing Brundle that it was actually possible to beat Senna and as soon as he did everything turned on its head. Honestly if you watch that doc my impression is that there wasn't a whole lot between those two drivers. That season was hugely political for both sides, I'm not a big fan of the British bias but I think it's fair to say both teams pulled tricks with the rules that year and Brundle being British had a negligible effect on the championship.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Did Brundle have a manager or did he represent himself? I can't understand his awful career choices.

He did make some really bad choices after he got to F1.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The undercut still would've worked if Hamilton was backing everyone up...

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The biggest thing that doc did was vastly lower my opinion of 1986 Osella driver Allen Berg.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Incidentally if you do casually run into 1986 Osella driver Allen Berg do not ask him in a joking tone "What was it like being lapped by Prost?" he will not find it funny.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

Senna said so. What more do you need?

Senna sounds like a poor loser much like Poois is.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Upon further review I have concluded that the Benetton must have relied on Verstappen, Lehto, and Johnny Herbert to set up the car. That's probably why it was so difficult to drive.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Also just off the top of my head I recall Monaco '97 where Schumi was the only guy on the grid telling his team on the spot to change the entire entire set up. Did Irvine tell him how to set it up and then just forget to do it to his car?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I get what you're saying but Prost said that about the Red Bull cars when he drove them. This isn't a new complaint and it's not going to be resolved next year.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

The good Rosberg is Finnish.

I think you will find that there are two good Rosbergs.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

This is a cool dude and I'd like to grab a pint with him in a pub some time with Nando, I think the three of us would have a great time.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Riso posted:

Also Toto doesn't want Wehrlein because it would create a situation like 2007 with Alonso when the upstart Lewis didn't respect Alonsos achievements and bla bla.

If Whorllion beats Lewis I will eat my Scud hat.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Basticle posted:

Big John and Perez.

Those two unironically would be great replacements for Nico and would probably give Lewis a bit of trouble.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 4, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Hill wasn't even that bad when you look at how he drove in 97 and 98 with poo poo cars. Nobody will be able to match Are Jacques in awfulness tbh.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I was moderately positive about him until Canada '98, he could've won that and it would've gone down as a career defining race. Instead he was complete garbage and I spit my beer out in laughter.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think its somewhere in the middle, they want to see the lay of the land before they let two drivers go at eachother's throats. So an unknown they can mold either into a Barrichello or the next Are Rossie is their best bet

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I honestly am curious how Perez would do, I think he'd be ready to have a go at him from day one in a slightly scrappy sort of way. I had really written him off before this year but he drove extremely well and wasn't making the sort of stupid mistakes he did in the past.

Grosjean would probably struggle a bit like Nico did and it would be a year or two of him fumbling around a bit before he got his bearings and got it into his mind that he could beat Lewis.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Grosjean always puzzles me, I think he lets the pressure get to him too much like Are Rossie used to. His best drives this year was the first few when there was very very low expectations for Haas and then as the season went on he really was on the dull end. I get that the car was poo poo but you shouldn't be finishing behind GUT in the same car under any sort of circumstance.

edit: I don't think its going to happen but I would be genuinely interested in Sainz since I'm pretty sure he is a better overall driver than frogboy

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

djssniper posted:

Grosjean and Maldonado were the pathfinders for Max, if the pack had treated him like they did those two, there would be a hell of a lot more RBR carbon fibre on the track

I can't empty quote this enough.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Khablam posted:

How hard would you push in a car whose brakes failed multiple times?
I don't think he felt secure after the mid season at all.

If I got to that level and had as shakey a career path as he has? Very very hard.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

But they weren't to anybody who karts competitively at even the lowest level. What is a mindfuck is that all these guys start in karting and yet they never accept that the rubbered in racing line is the most treacherous in the wet because it is basically like driving on ice. That's not to diminish Max's drive or ability, but he's kind of shooting fish in a barrel.

Driving a Rotax or shifter in the wet on the racing line is a drat quick way to get hurt quickly.

Ya this was pretty much my view of that race, it was a damnation of the rest of the field's basic wet weather driving skills. Not to mention the rake of the Red Bull minimized aquaplaning compared to other cars.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 5, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Khablam posted:

So Max isn't very good, he's just better than anyone else.
Hmmm.

Porsche your mental gymnastics are getting worse dude.

Not really, you can be a lovely racer and very good in low grip conditions. I'm probably the best example of that. Keep digging though :yum:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Actually I think you'll find that's why I like Nando the most.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think Perez probably has an exit clause though. FI claimed they had him signed about fourteen times this year and Perez kept saying he was eyeing up his options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Also Perez has had his chance in a big team and blew it.

When did this happen???

• Locked thread