Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GramCracker posted:

They just wanted your mom to have something familiar on screen so she adjusts to watching F1 faster.

Should've stayed with the previous livery then. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-sandbagging-a-worry-admits-red-bull-882738/

So are the shitlords at Red Bull genuinely concerned or trying a bit of reverse psychology?

Seeing Vettel and Hamilton going at it hammer and tongs this season is a tantalising prospect.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Tony Montana posted:

it does impress the poo poo out of me how he seems to be able to pull on the helmet and still wring the neck of a current F1 car.

lol.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

It's enraging when people say dumb poo poo, in print, and then refuse to admit they said the dumb poo poo we can all plainly see and read.

Good election strategy though. :smugdon:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

daslog posted:

Again, you are reading what you want to read in my posts, not what I'm actually writing. At no point in any of those did I say anything close to "Liberty should do X or do Y." What I did say was that their business model doesn't make any sense to me as currently presented.

1) If Liberty cuts sanctioning fees, then they will lose revenue. I don't think that's all that controversial.
2) If Liberty raises sanctioning fees, then they push more tracks out of business. I don't think anyone disputes that either.
3) I don't think Liberty is going to be able increase the rights fees for Television and Internet enough to satisfy Liberty's investors.

Liberty's investors expect to make a lot of money on their investment. However, that seems unlikely to me because of 1, 2, and 3. At this point I'll just drop it unless someone besides Wicka is interested.

Liberty aren't a private equity firm or investment company like CVC or Waddell & Reed though, so your assumption that investors will want a poo poo hot ROI doesn't hold in my opinion. The chairman holds the majority of voting shares, so if he's happy with Chase Carey and co nurturing F1 to be a stable, growing business rather than trying to do a Bernie and run the sport like the mafia, then it's all gravy.

As Wicka said, the way that FOM was run by Bernie was unhealthy and unsustainable after the money started to dry up in the post-tobacco advertising era. The 'gently caress you, pay me' model made Bernie rich but was toxic for F1's long term financial future and should not be seen as a benchmark to compare Liberty's modus operandi.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 16, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

daslog posted:

There are many challenges with F1 and America.

1) The Race start times are terrible. Fixing that means less races that Europeans can see. (Think Canadian GP times)
2) No American drivers means no American interest.
2a) No Feeder system in America means no American Drivers.
3) Every year, fewer Americans have been watching racing.
4) Americans by and large don't watch sports where Americans are not competitive.

On the plus side, out of 318,000,000 Americans, only 482,000 watched F1 last year. That's 1/10th of 1 percent, so the only way to go is up.

Races hosted in North America are pretty sociable hours for Europeans, actually. More races in the US and less in characterless Middle Eastern shitholes would be good and cool imo. The only races I don't begrudge their ungodly hours are Suzuka and Melbourne - gently caress getting up early after a Saturday night bender to watch the Abu Dhabi or Chinese GP live. At least they had the good sense to host Bahrain and Singapore as night races.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

There really isn't a strong following for karting either. Canada has some decent clubs but you end up having to knock half the year off because of the weather. There's no place for kids to get their start which is has hurt even more now that the age for entering the sport is ridiculously low.

Just be a billionaire or dead racing driver's kid, I don't see why Canadians think they have it all that tough. :shrug:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://twitter.com/takiinoue/status/842376401198174208

loving love this guy when I work out what the broken English is intended to mean.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Human Grand Prix posted:

You sound like a real rear end in a top hat when you post like this.

He has a point though. Good drivers have competed in NASCAR (Montoya and Franchitti for example) but they cut their teeth in proper disciplines and usually only spent time in NASCAR for cynical reasons like white trash pay big bucks to watch that garbage. Just because they don't do well in it (the whole point system in that series is a ridiculous mindfuck that makes Bernie Ecclestone's poo poo ideas seem cool and good) doesn't mean that NASCAR is somehow as skillful as IRL or F1, if anything it's a bit like the townspeople in that film Fire Down Below.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 17, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

TurboDrizzle posted:

Ferrari given liberty shares? Is this supposed to be a good thing? I was hoping Are Chance was going to kick those Goombah Dago bastards to the curb and make them race for money like everyone else, and now they still have a seat at the big table? Strike one against Liberty.

All teams have been offered shares. Ferrari are just the first to accept the offer.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Norns posted:

I'm betting Sebs driving style fits more with these cars than the other hybrid years so far.

Yup, our glorious little aerofuhrer is going to gently caress poo poo up.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

I mean... I'll scroll a few pages back while drunk to laugh at my poo poo jokes, but you should consider counselling if you actively trying to catch up on this thread while sober.

This thread is my therapy. You fuckos are practically normal compared to the people I work with.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

gret posted:

Do you work at law firm?

Fund manager. I'm not enough of a sadist to work in law.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah I post primarily because my coworkers are loving terrible and the less I think about my job throughout the day the happier I am.

:brofist:

e: it's better to shout at strangers on the Internet over a sport in an impotent rage than email a coworker to tell them they are a loving brainless shitwit for being mentally incapable of completing the most basic task to the level of satisfaction that my retard dog could. Thank you, worst thread.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 17, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythEzCca5ng

This makes me laugh much harder than it reasonably should.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Massa, the old scared puppy has earned it at this point.

Yeah but equally I wouldn't want to sully the awesome memory of him winning MWDC in 2008.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlJWwuV9eBw

That Ferrari engineer and the look of incomprehension on Massa senior's face cracks me up every goddamn time. That is what a MWDC celebration looks like.

Alonso's face is also another brilliant MWDC look. The perfect blend of thousand yard stare and moral stoicism. I can't laugh at this one though because it broke my heart when it happened.

So I like to watch this to summarise what a loving hero the guy was that season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fHBHh6hbD0

Theophany fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 18, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

Rookies always have An Enemy they keep crashing into. Who will be Strolls?

I think he's going to be quite good at quali, much like pastor, just lacking in racecraft, much like pastor. Williams is looking good so that puts him top end of the mid field at the start. The five cars around him are in the danger zone. Ricciado will be ahead of him on the grid, Ricciado is poo poo at starts. Stroll will either repeatedly rear end Are Dan or swerve and hit Kvyat who wll be coming up the inside with blinkers on.

I have a funny feeling it's going to be Kvyat, the Williams is faster than the Toro Rosso but Stroll won't be able to take it to the limit and Kvyat isn't known for his amazing sense of spacial awareness.

Please let it be Hamilton. I just want to see stroll lock up at the first corner in Melbourne and loving torpedo straight into Hamilton's merc. It would be glorious.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Formula Parkinson's

loving :lol:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

See, I'm going to be serious for a second. This elitism literally appeals to me when it comes to F1. It's not some redneck moonshine swilling incestual lock 'er up'n'build dat dern wall fuckfest that is NASCAR. The elitism is what gives that image of F1 being the absolute top tier of motorsport to the general public when it comes to its brand.

It's a matter of waiting to see just how far Liberty goes but at least they did mention that the core European races are critical to the heart of F1 a few days ago. But, for fucks sake, it's literally an organization called 'Liberty'.

NASCAR makes bank. It's a dogshit racing series not because it's folksy, but because it's a dogshit racing series. Making F1 more accessible is exactly what it needs - as long as they don't start oval racing and dumbing it down to appeal to the lowest common denominator it will continue to be the pinnacle of motorsport.

What makes F1 elite is that it is the best engineers, the best drivers, the best minds and the best circuits. Being a loving shitlord about doling paddock club passes out to your rich rear end in a top hat friends is a beautiful explanation of why Bernie had to go.

The bottom line is exactly that. F1 needs eyeballs to generate revenue. Revenue attracts sponsors. It attracts teams. It attracts attention. The idea that being popular makes the sport crap is the exact kind of dipshit hipster bullshit logic that needs to do a Bernie and piss off. We have 20 goddamn cars on the grid - 20 years ago we had almost 30. Whether you admit it or not F1 is in a dire state of affairs as of the end of Bernie's reign.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Istanbul was easily in the top 5. I also quite liked the Korean track, although I know many didn't.

Istanbul was good, Korea always seemed like it had been made to steal the character of other circuits whilst having none of its own.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

Equalizing the revenue split should be the very first thing Liberty does.

Renegotiating Concorde Agreement three years ahead of schedule will be tough. I'll be thoroughly impressed if they manage that.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

enri posted:

Finally, the end is in sight.... it's race weekend this weekend baby! :dance:

:allears:

:getin:

I'm backing my boys Herr Vettel and Maximum Verstrappon.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

NtotheTC posted:

Basically what will happen is that it will create a raft of aggressive overtakes and ducking/weaving and people will go "wow so exciting! Why didn't we do this sooner?" and then some idiot in a midfield car will try it on a championship contender, ruining their race or a potential exciting battle, and get away scot free and everyone will go "gently caress why is this idiot allowed to do this? I feel cheated bring back rules"

Just call him Lance Stroll. That is his name.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Norns posted:

Yeah we are all pretty much garbage people

Some of us are hot garbage :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Ferrari is run by the Stronzo in the Sweater and is a publicly listed company.

Ferrari's F1 income is retardedly bolstered by the lovely "historic entrant" clause in the Concorde Agreement that no other team receives - even McLaren, who arguably fit the bill.

So the agreement which guarantees that clause is between the FIA and the Constructors. Liberty cannot trigger a renegotiation of the Concorde Agreement until December 2020, unless the FIA or the Constructors agree to do so.

Which means this is a pointlessly speculative discussion that bears no relevance to the immediate future of F1.

F1 Offseason 16/17 Thread: I can't loving wait until Friday

• Locked thread