Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Dudley posted:

I used to use it back when you could still trick a jailbroken iPod into displaying it on a TV.

It comes out looking like one of the better illegal flash streams, but much worse than any other legal solution or even something like Acecast.

Sky go is a bit like that but the quality gets way better after about 30 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Judging the response of the return of the Martini liverery, a gulf one would be awesome

Edit; tbf excellent marketing

djssniper fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 9, 2017

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Begall posted:

Thinking about Silverstone this year - would I be happier with Luffield A, Village B or Farm Curve?

Spend your money going to Spa, you'll end up saving quite a bit

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Interesting film coming out
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3985516/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/how-f1-s-most-feared-track-has-hit-the-big-screen-872617/

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

learnincurve posted:

I did used to whine about the changes to Nurburgring until I saw a bbc documentary showing the actual death footage of the drivers. They were caused because the original track was designed for slower 1950s cars, and then in the mid 70s the cars simply got too fast for it and would literally take off and fly into barriers or be be flipped into them by the sloping grass at the side of the track. This documentary is a U which I suspect isn't going to do justice to just how dangerous it got . :(

Looking at the cast I think it will be a lot of talking heads plus footage, I'm happy with that, drivers experiences vs death videos

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

learnincurve posted:

On the one hand the footage is shocking and horrible beyond belief, on the other a U isn't going to stop grunting morons from saying we should go back to the good old days and that modern drivers are spineless. I'm not saying show the actual death footage, but a U classification is for 4 year olds and I don't see how the rating could be that low unless they don't even show the moments leading up to the crashes or any wreckage.

A U Classification is'nt for four year olds, and this isn't a film for grunting morons to use, it's a film with experienced drivers telling a story, there are plenty of F1 and other racing death films on youtube for people to find

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Watching the 1970s reviews has made me wonder why the gently caress everything is so regulated now. Ok the having the cockpit basically being a survival cell is cool and good, having wings that don't make the cars fly if they break is good, as are wheel tethers and fuel tank protection. Having a maximum width makes sense because you just know some dickhead would design a car around qualifying and make it too wide for the track to pass, but if today's rules had been around in the past then Lotus would not have been able to develop the double airbox and aerodynamics would never have become a thing, and so on and so forth. Every single cost saving measure which has been introduced in the last 20 years has ended up costing the smaller teams money, so just rip the rule book up and if a crazy new design won't effect safety then let them run wild with it again. It wasn't the cars that killed people so much as the sheer lunacy of track safety which caused those crashes and deaths in the first place, once they figured out how to make the fuel tanks not explode it was poo poo like drivers being decapitated by badly installed barriers which killed them.

Why can't teams make a car and sell it to other teams anymore? Why can't they have a spare car and sell it to a third pay driver? It's development which costs the money, being able to sell cars again would help the poors cover those costs.

I hope Liberty lets them do this again and kills any bitching by saying that they are reinstating the traditions of the past that an evil troll stole from the sport. Then maybe we will see a 32 car grid again. Also the qualifying format they had in the 1970s was awesome, fastest time in practice gets you on pole, therefore people have a reason to go to the Friday session and if you get a wet session then some backmarker can sneak in and steal it. James Hunt did that once on lovely old tyres and a McLaren which was driving like dogshit that weekend.

Did you miss the financial meltdown of the world or something?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Indian takeaway, wine and Formula-E, what a splendid evening this has turned out to be.

Formula E is so loving bland, it's hard to watch

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

No worry for him, he doesn't need simulators, well done Baku

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Lets see come testing, no team is stupid enough to launch their final car... should be fun, No bacon briefcase this year?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

wicka posted:

When the car was in motion it'd blur and look just like the Marlboro logo. loving genius.

Have you any evidence of this? I thought it was just subliminal advertising, as you knew what should be there

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

The problem with the McLaren livery is that no-one will listen to the GXF department and the sign off will be with someone that has no experience in design, I work in design and it is soooooo loving frustrating when this happens

EDIT: I just wish we could see the initial design concepts

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

There's a great book about when Subaru switched ad agencies in the 90s that has completely convinced me that any sort of group input into a creative project is going to turn it into a burning shitpile real fast. Nothing group designed ever has as strong of an impact as a single person's vision.

As an aside: Before today the biggest mystery of automotive history for me was what the Subaru SVX's design process was like. Now its "What was the honda people's reaction when they saw that car."

Just bought it on amazon, cheers

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Jamsque posted:

Sky F1 asked Adrian Newey about this yesterday, it's not actually a duct that leads anywhere, it's just a little loop of bodywork that allows them to have a higher nose while still complying with the regulation that requires the bottom of the tip of the nose to be a certain maximum distance from the ground.

Hmmm.... I'd be highly sceptical of anyone talking about their cars at this time

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

McLaren Honda split being weighed up?

http://www.planetf1.com/news/mclaren-considering-honda-split-report/

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

wicka posted:

It's just shorthand for "lazy pun."

Not lazy, usually not funny, though I suppose they go hand in hand

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

harperdc posted:

I would guess that at least half the teams only have one chassis at the test. they're very good at changing the one or two stickers for the car number depending on the driver.

I'm assuming they all take one chassis (with maybe a replacement), and interchange the race seats, or is there a rule to only allows one driver for each team at a time on track

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I dont underatand this. Internet=laughs, real life=serious business

And yet you still don't understand

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

My parents were poor as poo poo growing up so I spent my summers in butt gently caress nowhere with my grandparents and my grandfather yelling at the TV calling every second player of the Blue Jays a bum or a drunk at the television every single day. I don't know any other way to talk about sports.

I had to make do with a lovely old B&W TV to watch F1, it had a dial and a coat hanger aerial, all my grandparents were dead, lucky you

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

Why would anyone bother talking to Horner, it's not like he has anything to do with any decisions made at Red Bull, he's just the guy who talks to the media... endlessly

Pretty much,
Red Bulls Eric Boullier, Webbers book kinda shows that

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Tony Montana posted:

Its a culture that has grown here over many years. Many times, probably 3 or 4, I've come in here and posted a bit and then gone away when the sheer shitposting diarrhea overcame me. When I first came I made some big effort post about Ferrari without realizing I was basically addressing a bunch of Brits and was told to gently caress off.

F1 is some opaque poo poo. Even mid season youre hearing the same old poo poo, you have no real idea what they're doing with the cars and the driving is so niche that there is almost no relation to what you do with a normal car. Being an F1 fan is pretty much making sweeping generalizations from your experience, perhaps referencing some long gone event, then butting heads with another fan whose generalizations are at odds with yours. There isn't so much actual technical debate and my gf who now loves F1 after exposing her over the last couple of years usually makes better predictions than I do, just because I've got old and crazy ideas like the red cars might actually do well.

I bought some Ferrari shoes to drive in. They fell apart quickly. My gf looked at them and loled and said 'just like a real Ferrari! Overpriced and falls apart!'. I cried a little inside while I forced a laugh at her joke.

edit: she also thinks the red livery is classically obnoxiously Italian. I love her but sometimes it's hard.

edit2: so the point is jesus gently caress Ferrari can you please pull goddamn finger out. It a daily struggle fighting for the tifosi

Lewis thinks there is hope for you
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-ferrari-not-mercedes-is-current-f1-2017-favourite-880410/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

These indycar visor cam videos are fantastic. F1 should never do that because then F1 might not suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQr-aGob6Y0

They have done it in the past
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPNP9QqwFyA

• Locked thread