Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Adiabatic posted:

Decembers gonna own

You heard it here first folks

hell yeah, my company goes on christmas break from the 23rd thru the 2nd. 11 days off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

the spyder posted:

God. loving. Dammit. I am beyond pissed. Enough so that I may take the rest of the day off just so I don't accidentally rage at my job. The worst part is it's not work related. I just got 100% hosed on a car I *was* buying by a fellow enthusiast. A local guy offered his 36k FD (RX7) to me for a smoking deal. I mean smoking. It needed some work, but nothing I couldn't handle in a few weekends of work. For some reason he also put it on CL (incase I backed out?). Literally 30 minutes ago I got the cash together and just this morning we had setup a time on Saturday to pickup the car. He just called me and let me know a "FRIEND" of mine stopped by and bought the car with cash. I can't decide who I'm more angry with, the seller (who I've been talking to for months), or this "friend" of mine that just loving stole a car out from under me. Ok, I lied. I'm definitely more pissed at the "friend". What little self restraint I have right now is stopping me from driving the three hours to his house and ripping him a new one.

This. This is why the local community is hosed. I've hooked this guy up with deals, hell the last car I COULDN'T afford I passed on to him! No wonder there's no real events or meets. Everyone has something against someone else. I give the gently caress up. There's no point in helping these people. This was a deal that will literally never happen again and due to all the personal poo poo going on right now, I really could have used the project/money. But no, just like the last few months I get hosed regardless of my intentions.

Ok, I'm going to go for a long walk and try to calm down. Excuse the rant.

did your "friend" know the seller had offered it to you?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Dedicated Car Forums are the worst.

political subforum on dedicated car forums are the worst

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Door Frame posted:

That's why I won't ever do Hulu. There was a time (might still be a time) when the paid version had less ads than the free version. Unless they're also streaming without me needing an ISP to connect to the Internet, they can gently caress right off

hulu plus only has ads for like 4 or 5 shows out of the hundreds they offer.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Door Frame posted:

You can stop right there, it's the principle of the thing that offends me. If I'm paying for a service, and it interrupts anything that I am doing for ads, guess what service I'm no longer paying for

E: It's half the reason I stopped paying for Xbox Live, because being connected to the Internet meant that almost my entire dashboard was ads. Clearly, my money isn't going towards the overhead, since so many ads are necessary on this exclusive, paid service, so what am I paying for, exactly?

it impacts none of the shows i watch so i dont care to grandstand about principle on it

edit, here's the list of shows:

• Grey’s Anatomy
• Once Upon A Time
• Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
• Scandal
• Grimm
• New Girl
• How To Get Away With Murder

they're all poo poo anyway

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Door Frame posted:

They are competing with free, they must provide a service that is as good as what I can get for free, otherwise I won't bother paying for the service

It's like when Amazon video asks me to rent MST3K episodes. The entirety of every single episode is on YouTube for free, so why would I pay? I have prime, so Shout Factory has already been paid their licensing fee for the Prime episodes, and I have Adblock so pirates don't get a penny off my youtube views, so what possible reason would I pay to watch a single episode of a decades old TV show?

what the gently caress are you going on about? i dont care if you dont want to spend money on hulu

if i'm going to pay for streaming of tv shows that my family and I watch, i'll gladly pay 4 bucks extra to not see any commercials. end of story.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Door Frame posted:

Not that serious, unfortunately. I haven't done my Christmas shopping yet... Maybe if I can find one in the spring for $1k- $2k

Oh, I thought you were defending the ads because they weren't in the shows that you watched, and I was trying to explain the folly in trying to compete with piracy with an inferior, paid subscription service. Wee bit of talking past each other there

For me, it's about principles, so I won't spend money on things that are available for free, unless it's a reasonable price, creators are properly compensated, and they are offering more convenience than a 45 minute download can.
The only reason I pay for YouTube Red (still the worst name) is because I have Google music. I don't like how YouTube handles copyright laws and monetization, so I wouldn't have ever upgraded if it wasn't included in my music service

well i just dont care, not really a defense of it.

and piracy is easy but not everyone will jump through the hoops for it.

given that usenet is probably the best way to pirate tv shows these days you are probably on the hook for 5-10/mo for access to that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah but for how long? as if that's going to be written into the tax code changes

it's meaningless

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I left my loving debit card in the ATM this morning and it got sucked in and now I need gas and I don't have a way to get gas lol

why dont you have a credit card

paying with debit at gas pumps is a good way to get your card skimmed

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mariooncrack posted:

Honestly, when it comes to Android phones, the Nexus or Pixel or whatever they want to call them is the way to go.

I got sick of dealing with Android manufacturers and went to iOS.

same

piss poor update strategy is not only bad for security its just plain frustrating

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
is that the same BLU that got caught with spyware installed from the factory? gently caress that brand forever

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/2/13824940/blu-android-phone-chinese-user-data-theft-google

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

They fixed it!

still shouldn't be trusted

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The vending machine at work charged me a quarter extra for the privilege of using Apple pay. Of course there's no charge for swiping a credit card or a warning sticker to tell you that you're going to pay a fee for Apple pay.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
can't stop thinking about selling all my bmws and replacing them with a SS with the 6 speed. :sigh:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

iwentdoodie posted:

I forgot how much of a oval office it is to part out a car.

It always seems like a good idea till you get balls deep into it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Foresters are really ugly, even by Subaru standards

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I kind of want a bugeyes WRX wagon.

dont do it

did you sell the civic?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Even better we have apologists who just say "oh it's just angry goons"

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

InitialDave posted:

No, an apologist is someone who attempts to defend something that happens, which in this case would be people using 1488 as a Nazi reference.

We're saying it's entirely possible to be a coincidence, and the 1488 mean nothing at all in that particular instance, unless you have a further reason to suspect otherwise.

Remember when Top Gear had people in Argentina loving rioting in the street over a number plate? Yeah.

If skinhead has it tattooed on his face, fair enough, that's probably a solid example. But some random guy just having it as his PIN doesn't have to mean anything unless you want it to, and at that point it veers into numerology.

no i get what you're saying, its entirely possible to randomly have that be selected as your pin number and not know what it is and think to change it (i wasn't referring to your post btw)

our country is full of terrible people though so i'm less inclined to believe in coincidence when it comes to that number.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
feigned ignorance about the ability to set your own debit pin :chanpop:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I can agree with that.

Love my new job that I fought so hard to get, but am not as good at it as I had hoped. Won't be surprised if I get fired soon. GF dumped my rear end about 6 months ago because I replace smoking weed with drinking and she didn't like that. Blah.

Hey at least you got your choice of lovely president

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Hell yeah sounders won the MLS cup! :boom:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I got a Wagner steam cleaner and as boring as it sounds, has completely revolutionized cleaning loving tile floor grout. Im sure it will be great for cleaning all sorts of poo poo but not having to bend over to clean the floors is the best.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well i guess maybe one positive of trump's presidency would be to simplify the CAFE regulations, which might bring us back to more NA engines

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Hooray, more bad air in the city.

we can loosen up cafe standards without changing emissions requirements

i think we will see that the pursuit of small displacement engines that require turbochargers will result in a lot of cars that only meet mileage requirements for the first 40k miles and will prematurely poo poo the bed or be junked a lot sooner than they would have been if they were naturally aspirated.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 12, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gas stove, good. gas oven, not so great.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yup. ideally you'd want gas stove with electric element oven

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Induction is nice but I still think i'd take gas for a range. i have a portable induction burner that I use sometimes. being able to use gas to char stuff directly in the flame or blast heat into a wok is better than the everyday benefits of induction imo.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah they harassed me too, gently caress those guys with a sword

garbage compressed quality radio anywhere you want to go, great!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My VW that i bought in 2013 had a free trial and I don't think I set it up. Maybe the dealer did it for me? i'm not sure but that's how they harassed me.

Enourmo posted:

My oven's okay, but electric burners are got garbage as is, and on my particular unit the heat drops to effectively nothing* below about 1/4, and at that setting it'll still burn rice that's left to simmer; i have to use excess water to compensate for the fact that I have to pop the lid and stir every couple minutes. It's fine for big pots of stew and such, but god do I miss gas when I'm doing a fried egg or w/e.

*by cooking standards, the burners are still warm to the touch but can't even sustain a simmer on my smallest pot with like 1/2 of water

you should get a portable, single burner induction cooker. they're like 50 bucks or so.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i hope tickets were cheap, that sounds awful

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yahoo is so incompetent i can't even delete my account

why the hell is verizon interested in buying them? idiots

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Goober Peas posted:

I just killed my account this morning - what are you experiencing?

well i finally got it to go through, maybe i needed me to re-login with the newly reset password?

good riddance

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I only know this because I deleted my yahoo account years and years ago, and completely forgot I had it. A decade later, I re-signed up with my desired name but 100% different info. Then, my birthday after that, got emails from forums I hadn't used since 2001.

Looked it up, and apparently it's policy they have. The big reddit thread is full of similar tales, as well as links to their policy docs.

Hmm i thought i specifically seeing something that it would not be available again? (maybe that was just the associated flickr account?)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Now is the time of year to get a new fridge btw

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I replaced my fridge earlier this year after it had issues with the auto defrost function in the freezer...it would collect water at the bottom because it didn't drain property, leading to a leak that caused over 10k of insurance repairs.

But I got a new fridge and replaced almost all of the ugly carpet with pergo flooring so it worked out pretty well in the end.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

what kind of college programs aren't a net loss? i'm all for funding engineering programs but they frequently require tons of capital investments compared to a lot of other programs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

spog posted:

Okay, I watched Sons of Anarchy to the end of season two and I am officially done.

It's just a stream of bad decisions and personal angst.

Worst, every single crisis was their own fault that could have easily been solved had they shot the bad guy when they first met them and had the opportunity. Time after time, they are in dire straits with someone they could have easily killed 5 episodes ago and avoided the whole issue.

just imagine this: it only gets worse.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

Maybe instead of making a 4-panel strip and a 2-panel one, he could make a single 6-panel strip that actually finishes up the joke, jape, or jest.

Oh good I'm not the only one who thought this was terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kastein posted:

I do that when washing things that I got greasy. Works great. Wonder how many of the seals and O-rings it has destroyed in my washing machine, but don't really care because it was $150 on craigslist.

What the hell does ASMR stand for? I am soooo not googling that.

it's not NWS, just stupid

• Locked thread