Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

General China posted:

I think some kraut yid predicted this sort of poo poo.

We are living, materiasticaly in history.

It's about people and economics and the next loving riot.

There wil always be another riot.

Materialistic History Demands It.

I, myself love a good riot.

Yid can be a pretty offensive term, just fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Mister Adequate posted:

At this point, all us queer people being exterminated is still a bearable cost to pay in exchange for the rest of the world continuing to exist.

what's the point of the world existing if i'm not around to experience it?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TomViolence posted:

The worst thing is there's no shortage of guns and militias and there's even a tradition of armed revolt, but nearly all the guns and militias are in the hands of paranoid reactionaries and half the revolts have been against things like the abolition of slavery or school integration.

Bring back the panthers.

reminder that 30 years ago a black left wing group had a bomb dropped on them in philadelphia

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Miftan posted:

Yid can be a pretty offensive term, just fyi

It's his thing. He's a real life working class marxist hero and he can do stuff like that because he is legit.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Proposal for January thread title/theme:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
My review of the year, part 3:

https://my.mixtape.moe/syonba.webm

Happy New Year, all.

Non-maddening version

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The thing that everybody keeps very quiet about when they talk about the 2011 riots is how the Met very deliberately did not even attempt to stop the looting at White City and Tottenham Hale on the Sunday. They had the manpower - easily outnumbering the looters 2 to 1 - and in full view of TV news cameras stood aside, letting the looters take their time like it was a shopping trip. That was one of the main catalysts of the really widespread breakdown on Monday and Tuesday, an outcome that should have been blatantly obvious because they were pretty much laying out a red carpet.

So there are only a couple of possible explanations for the way they acted on Sunday:

- They were trying a softly-softly approach to de-escalate things. Hahahahahahahahaha yeah right.
- They were spectacularly incompetent and literally didn't notice the DIY Boxing Day sales going on less than 100 yards from their massive line at Tottenham Hale and on telly at White City.
- They deliberately let things escalate because Cameron had just announced a pay freeze and funding cuts for Plod (proving he really hadn't learned anything from Mummy Thatcher who gave them a 30% pay rise before flying the economy into Mount Monetarism) and lovely juicy pictures of the city burning down would result in them getting a shitload more money.

I mean if you want to get really :tinfoil: about it you can point at the massive boost to personal approval that Boris got out of the whole thing - if you take "cui bono" as the starting point of your conspiracy theories BOZZA LEGERND definitely "won" the riots with all those lovely photo ops of him wielding a broom, not to mention all that water cannon bullshit.

Where there is a choice, it's almost always cock-up rather than conspiracy. I'd say the same for Duggan. We will never know the full story, but I would hesitate to consider it anything malicious.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The real problem in the Duggan case to me is the extremely obvious coverup that none of the officers involved will admit to.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Ewan posted:

Where there is a choice, it's almost always cock-up rather than conspiracy. I'd say the same for Duggan. We will never know the full story, but I would hesitate to consider it anything malicious.

What? The institutionally racist and corrupt Met were just having a bad day? Did you miss the past 50 years ( likely beyond) or something? I wouldn't hesitate to consider it malicious, and a very obvious arse covering exercise. You'd better not get in bother with them, they won't extend the same benefit of doubt to you.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Trickjaw posted:

What? The institutionally racist and corrupt Met were just having a bad day? Did you miss the past 50 years ( likely beyond) or something? I wouldn't hesitate to consider it malicious, and a very obvious arse covering exercise. You'd better not get in bother with them, they won't extend the same benefit of doubt to you.

Don't get me wrong, there was certainly a lot of arse covering after the fact. But the actual shooting itself? I don't think the Met set out on that day with the objective of murdering a black man. It was more a compound of assessments and assumptions that caused them to overrate the threat he caused in that specific moment (combined with the officer in question probably genuinely in that moment assessing the threat was sufficient for him to shoot, even if the investigations suggest that he was wrong). And of course some of those assumptions may have stemmed from racially-based assumptions based on the community he was from. Incompetent? Probably. Undertones of institutional racism? Possibly. Malicious? Probably not.

You have to remember in an armed police stop, everything is literally over in seconds, and a LOT is going on. If you believe (rightly or wrongly) that the man you have stopped is armed, and perceived movements he make could mean life or death - you have a split second decision on whether to shoot him or not. You know that whatever decision you take your arse is on the line - if you shoot him, it might turn out he was unarmed, if you don't, he might be armed and shoot someone. In this case, they got it wrong, but you also have to remember there are 100s of these events (armed traffic stop, raids, etc) every quarter without a shot even being fired, they just don't hit the media because they end with an arrest rather than a shooting. I was vague acquaintances with a SO19 officer for a bit (haven't kept in touch) - we never talked about Duggan specifically, but the poo poo he was doing most days, frankly, would be pretty scary for most of us.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well, except their arse isn't really on the line since they will definitely get away with any dubious shooting.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ewan posted:

In this case, they got it wrong
They may have just got it wrong, but the things that they did afterwards smack of them getting together to make sure that their stories were straight and that the scene was laid out right in a manner that would be called conspiracy to pervert the course of justice if any other members of the public tried it.

If they were convinced that they acted in a manner that a reasonable person would facing the same situation then they should have nothing to fear. If they weren't convinced of that they don't get to adjust the scenario ex post facto any more than anyone else does.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Ewan posted:

Don't get me wrong, there was certainly a lot of arse covering after the fact. But the actual shooting itself? I don't think the Met set out on that day with the objective of murdering a black man. It was more a compound of assessments and assumptions that caused them to overrate the threat he caused in that specific moment (combined with the officer in question probably genuinely in that moment assessing the threat was sufficient for him to shoot, even if the investigations suggest that he was wrong). And of course some of those assumptions may have stemmed from racially-based assumptions based on the community he was from. Incompetent? Probably. Undertones of institutional racism? Possibly. Malicious? Probably not.

You have to remember in an armed police stop, everything is literally over in seconds, and a LOT is going on. If you believe (rightly or wrongly) that the man you have stopped is armed, and perceived movements he make could mean life or death - you have a split second decision on whether to shoot him or not. You know that whatever decision you take your arse is on the line - if you shoot him, it might turn out he was unarmed, if you don't, he might be armed and shoot someone. In this case, they got it wrong, but you also have to remember there are 100s of these events (armed traffic stop, raids, etc) every quarter without a shot even being fired, they just don't hit the media because they end with an arrest rather than a shooting. I was vague acquaintances with a SO19 officer for a bit (haven't kept in touch) - we never talked about Duggan specifically, but the poo poo he was doing most days, frankly, would be pretty scary for most of us.

I've been in those situations (army), and this is a load of crap. I'm not familiar with Duggan specifically, but you can always not aim for centre mass. You might miss and hit it anyway, but army and armed police are taught that if they feel even the tiniest threat on their lives it's better to shoot than to investigate because 'those people' are enemies.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Miftan posted:

I've been in those situations (army), and this is a load of crap. I'm not familiar with Duggan specifically, but you can always not aim for centre mass. You might miss and hit it anyway, but army and armed police are taught that if they feel even the tiniest threat on their lives it's better to shoot than to investigate because 'those people' are enemies.

the plod should have a duty to stand and be shot at before returning fire.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Jose posted:

crematoriums in america have burned down due to extremely fat people melting out of the oven and spreading fire

Truly the most American way to go :patriot:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

blowfish posted:

Way to miss the point completely.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Today is my birthday and im getting the best present ever. Tomorrow wont be 2016.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Happy birthday! :beerpal:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

New years eve is a good day for a birthday, parties everywhere and everyone's in a party mood.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I hope those people have a wonderful time.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

They may have just got it wrong, but the things that they did afterwards smack of them getting together to make sure that their stories were straight and that the scene was laid out right in a manner that would be called conspiracy to pervert the course of justice if any other members of the public tried it.

If they were convinced that they acted in a manner that a reasonable person would facing the same situation then they should have nothing to fear. If they weren't convinced of that they don't get to adjust the scenario ex post facto any more than anyone else does.

See also the apparent default setting to lie about innocent people they've shot. Even if you're as generous as possible about the killings of Jean Charles de Menezes and Ian Tomlinson (mistaken identity after a failed attack; shoved him but didn't expect him to die), the immediate instinct to slander the victims is horrible. And it works - I'm sure if you asked 100 people for their thoughts on the Stockwell incident, you'd have double-digit responses about jumping ticket barriers and behaving suspiciously.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Today is my birthday and im getting the best present ever. Tomorrow wont be 2016.

Happy birthday, next year will be worse!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Time is a stupid human construct and everything will keep getting worse, but I hope you have a nice birthday.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Miftan posted:

Time is a stupid human construct and everything will keep getting worse, but I hope you have a nice birthday.

I'm pretty sure events progress in a linear fashion regardless of humanity.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah times not a human construct.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I meant the division of time into our calendar, but I take your point. Happy earth revolved around the sun, everyone!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Miftan posted:

I meant the division of time into our calendar, but I take your point. Happy earth revolved around the sun, everyone!

Then so is any unit of measurement but I don't think they're 'silly'. They're really rather useful.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Then so is any unit of measurement but I don't think they're 'silly'. They're really rather useful.

You are correct. I hope you have a lovely year, 'flaps.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Happy birthday fellow christmastime person (mine was the 29th). :toot:

e: I think today's a good day for it for the same reasons as namesake suggests.

Laradus fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 31, 2016

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'm flying back from Arizona tonight, so I'm missing Hogmanay, but I'll be landing on the 1st on my birthday and my gf has some stuff planned so should be fun.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Happy advance birthday to you too then :)

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Coohoolin posted:

I'm flying back from Arizona tonight, so I'm missing Hogmanay, but I'll be landing on the 1st on my birthday and my gf has some stuff planned so should be fun.

And here I thought 2017 was meant to be getting off to a good start

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

blowfish posted:

This but unironically

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It seems completely possible that the shooting was for understandable reasons. Unfortunately there's no way for us to know because the officers involved did everything they could to obscure the truth.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Happy new year UK megathread, may it be better than expected.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It seems completely possible that the shooting was for understandable reasons. Unfortunately there's no way for us to know because the officers involved did everything they could to obscure the truth.

Seems a little obvious that if they're doing everything to disguise the truth, then the truth must not have been understandable/excusable.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Beefeater1980 posted:

Happy new year UK megathread, may it be better than expected.

That's not saying much but yeah, here's hoping for a less poo poo year this time.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

This but unironically

i wasn't being ironic, the plod serves the rest of society and should be actually prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice if there's even a small chance they might shoot someone innocent

of course that implies they deserve hazard pay in return and we can't have that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

• Locked thread