Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

You know BB has New Game+ right?

All the souls games have boss weapons that don't even drop until the end of the game, so its kinda a necessity.

New Game + starts you off with all your equipment/stats/ect which isn't as fun as a fresh run.

Yes, men hate Life is Strange and women hate Overwatch ...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

...but you were just asking for the ability to start a new game with weapons you've earned :psyduck: seriously Imp what.

And the enemies are balanced for your new stats, that's why its NG+. Its still every bit as hard, if not harder. If you haven't tried NG+ you really should. If you want "new game but with weapon I got from halfway that I like" that's literally it dude.

A) I wasn't the one who asked that, so...?
B) "Starting with the weapons you earned" is not the same as "Starting with fully-upgraded +10 weapons and gems." People who ask for this are asking for the ability to start with fresh unupgraded weapons, which would allow the early game to have more variety.
C) The enemy balancing in a NG+ of Bloodborne is not really well as designed because it has to compensate for a wide variety of potential builds and while NG+s are fun they are not fun the same way as a fresh runs.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 1, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

If it's not like classic Resident Evil, and it's not like Resident Evil 4, in what way is it Resident Evil.

It is a game where you play a person trapped in a mansion filled with evil monsters who want to kill you and you must solve complex and somewhat nonsensical puzzles in order to escape. Also it will probably involve the Umbrella corporation and viruses.

I'm not sure how that isn't Resident Evil?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

You're not a cop/agent with a crappy gun :colbert:

Claire Redfield. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Trying to "change up the formula" is how you ruin a game series. Mega Man didn't change its formula and it took them a long time to gently caress up and make a really bad one. Not every franchise needs to be Mario.

On the other hand there is no long-running franchise at this point which hasn't changed up its formula. You change your formula eventually or you die. It just depends on what that change is.

Like the closest I can think of is Dynasty Warriors which is absurdly long running and has minimal changes, but it gets by that by selling itself on different IPs. I guess you can argue sports games but you don't need to be a sports fan to know how significantly those change things up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Total War is also pretty much the same as always, just iteratively better like Dynasty Warriors. And Civilization? Well, Civ has changed a bit...

But most games have changed, and the 2D->3D in particular has hosed up lots of games. Sonic and Megaman and Castlevania didn't fare so well, Zelda and Metroid did great.

Well, even then, a lot of those 2D franchises changed significantly and it helped them revive themselves.

Mega Man's biggest post-SNES success was when it became a weird JRPG/card game for example. Castlevania was given a huge boost from SotN moving it from pure platformer to Metroidvania. Franchises need to branch out and experiment. It doesn't always succeed but some of the best games of all times are experimental additions to a franchise. (RE4, Metroid Prime, Majora's Mask, SotN, ect, ect.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I feel like the gameplay kind of advanced in RE5 and 6 compared to 4 but the design of the levels you were running through with that gameplay got worse in 5 and unspeakably bad in 6

This is a really fair opinion. RE5 had basically straight upgrades to RE4's mechanics but the core level design was much worse, probably due to the forced co-op. RE6 was three different games stapled together.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Or you... make new games that aren't iterations on a franchise. And go back to that franchise once people actually want more of it.

A game based on a recognizable IP will sell better than a game not based on a recognizable IP. That is sort of the point of IP in general.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Are the stupid game awards being streamed? I assume so.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I guess Bethesda Legal wasn't too happy with how his Kickstarter for Jupiter Hell kept bringing up the fact it's a spiritual successor to DoomRL.

Yeah, I imagine getting actually DOOM-connected people to promote it probably was the final straw.

Edit:
That said, taking down DoomRL with 11 days to go in the kickstarter probably assures the kickstarter's success on spitedollars.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Palpek posted:

Somebody sum up what was shown at the awards please. I don't give a crap about who won but rather what premiered or what title's gameplay was finally shown etc.

Shovel Knight DLC looks awesome.

That's about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordja posted:

I have a feeling that Death Stranding's either gonna be a real loving good videogame or a self-absorbed, pretentious wankfest that'll cause a lot of people to sympathize with Konami all of a sudden...

After last night's Geoff sobfest I honestly felt a lot more sympathy for Konami.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

Has anyone seen Hideo Kojima and David Cage in the same room? I'm thinking Death Stranding is going to be Heavy Rain crossed with Silent Hill.

Don't be silly. Hideo Kojima doesn't include scenes of brunettes showe-

Oh. Oh poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Someone's probably already started writing a think-piece about either "Do we NEED a Part 2 for The Last of Us" or "Hopefully there won't be any combat this time around" haven't they?

I genuinely think a LotU2 starring Joel and Ellie is dumb because the original was a well-done self-contained story that resolved itself quite well and we don't really need a second trip with them.

LToU made good use of its ambiguity and leaving things unsaid, especially in the ending, and the sequel will pretty much undo all of that just by existing in favor of a story that almost certainly will be less satisfying because both characters already reached the end of their narrative arcs.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 3, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That's how creative people think, that's not how corporations with stock holders think, though.

Oh, I'm sure that they're going "Yeah, those characters are popular, bring 'em back!" I'm just saying that for me, personally, I'm not too hype to see them get back in the saddle and it's gonna have to have one hell of a concept to make me interested in it from a story perspective again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Whatever happened to Ganon the Boar Man?

He shows up pretty regularly as the 'final form' of Ganondorf. He was in Twilight Princess and Hyrule Warriors, which were the last two Zelda games to have Ganondorf in 'em.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I actually kinda agree with that it's just that there's few games with narratives that actually warrant this discussion.

It'd be like people wanting a new Mother game that followed the ending to Mother 3 or a Silent Hill sequel that starred James as the protagonist for some reason even though everything about him and his journey was wrapped up at the end of SH2

Yeah, there are a lot of games where 'make a sequel' isn't a big thing, but TLOU is one where I genuinely feel that a sequel shouldn't involve the same characters. I'll freely admit they may surprise me but I have a hard time thinking of anything (let alone a game) where I was really satisfied with someone 'coming out of retirement' for a story that was wholeheartedly finished in every reasonable metric.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Die Hard 2

Gonna say, wasn't very big on Die Hard 2.

That does however bring up Aliens, which I will say was a solid sequel for a finished story. (Of course then Alien 3/Alien Res/ect...)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

Sony have been knocking it out of the park this gen.

They seem to just think "what will literally make peoples dreams come true?" and then do it.

Hasn't Sony's thing been more "making huge promises, releasing average disappointments?" I remember a ton of hypes but none that really lives up to the hype. (lol, the Order.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Woah, a post from a parallel universe where the Xbox One is published by Sony.

Sony has been winning this generation almost exclusively due to the fact their competition shot themselves in the foot, not because of any particularly excellent successes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Final Fantasy XV is really good. The storyline is fine, people are exaggerating. The game is about 4 bros on a roadtrip, the story is told through their perspective and what they see, it makes sense that we are not going get told every single little detail. You can watch Kingsglaive if you want to know more of the backstory.

People are really not exaggerating.

The storyline is a complete mess. Plot events are obviously slotted in from unfinished storyline events, characters vanish and appear for no reason, the game goes full Xenogears Disc 2 later on, it's honestly a huge trainwreck. It isn't even just "well, it's from their perspective" because things from the character's perspectives are also weird and disjointed.

However the game is still really fun. You just have to acknowledge that it's like 3/4ths of a game they frantically stapled together to get a functional product in time for release and they clearly prioritized gameplay over story.

Edit: Like honestly and straightforwardly, if I listed off FFXV's problems it would sound like an unplayable trainwreck but the actual execution is more charming than annoying. I can unironically compare it to something like Deadly Premonition where it is janky but janky in a really engaging way.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 4, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

lol you have got to be making GBS threads me.

... Uh? What precisely there do you disagree with? Because I'm pretty sure nothing there I said actually is objectionable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So... the fact that I said FFXV is a fun game ergo means it's a terrible game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Speaking of unfair dogpiling, I just beat Paper Mario: Color Splash and that game was loving charming from start to finish. It's still going to get people's panties in a twist if they really loved the first two Paper Marios but, well, I didn't so whatever.

I think a lot of it is people thinking it would be basically identical to the previous game and the writing was a big step up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

I would never tell the merchant to shove anything up his rear end. He is my friend.

He just wants your money.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

Mega Man 9 is the best MM.

It gave us this mix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cA06uWV_-c

poo poo, that's good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, MM9 is either my 2nd or 3rd favorite. It has fantastic music, an amazing weapon loadout, really fun bosses and in general just does almost everything right without getting overly bloated.

People say "It's nothing but spikes and pits" and I genuinely don't get it, especially if you compare it to the other games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

I just booted up MMX for the first time after marathoning MM4,5 and 6 in one day and oh my god. This game is insane

MMX is really genuinely an amazing game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CrashCat posted:

Who said that

Pretty much every review both positive and negative?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snak posted:

Can you guys spoil it for me? I don't give a single poo poo about it, I just want to be in on mocking lovely things because I'm a sad and dysfunctional person

From what I understand, Frank West gets pulled down and devourered by zombies and then the other survivors talk about what a crappy glory-hound he was. The end, no moral, and no alternate ending.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't mind videos for some things but I frigging hate videos that explain how to fix/install/repair things. I understand why those are useful but I really don't want to sit through a 10 minute video when I just need a set of instructions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's Randy Pitchford, nobody is surprised.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Randy pitchford is a terrifyingly bad businessperson.

How can you say that after Battleborn?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Am I alone in not being interested in TLG, like, at all

I'm interested in it but I'm not particularly rushing out to buy it. I find the concept less interesting than ICO/SotC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phil Fish would have been way better off if he hadn't become the poster child for indie games. It both made him more of a target and stroked his ego to a level that probably wasn't good for him personally and the end result was putting a guy who would have done way better on the sidelines right into the spotlight and made him the target for everyone eager to take a potshot at an easy target AND gave him enough self-importance he wasn't willing to just disengage.

It's sad because if he were just a modestly successful indie developer he'd probably be a lot happier.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

It kind of bugs me when people kind of dismiss endless horrible Twitter harassment as "people laughing at him". I guess in general I'm just sort of annoyed that sort of thing has become normalized and seems to become the victims fault. I still think this is a pretty good video on the whole Phil Fish thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmTUW-owa2w

A lot of people genuinely don't seem to connect internet presence to real life. It's becoming less common as people who grew up with the internet become the older generations and the existing older generations begin to adopt facebook and the like but it's still hard for people to get that the internet is a real place with real people and getting harassed and threatened on social media isn't meaningfully different from getting harassed via phone.

Like yeah, people will post that "just turn it off and walk away" thing but you really can't do that in this day and age without cutting yourself off from people and even then you're still a target. (and that's ignoring the crazy internet people who don't leave it on the internet.)

Edit: I also think people downplay death threats because "well, everyone gets them" and ignore that actually getting death threats is pretty awful even if you know they're probably some tough 12 year old with poor impulse control.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordja posted:

What with Doom and Titanfall 2 (and Shadow Warrior 2 to an extent, but that took things in a different direction) I'd say there's proof that an excellent, linear FPS campaign is enough for people to love your game even if it doesn't reinvent the wheel or try to adhere to whatever game design trends are in vogue at the moment.

A major issue that unlike DOOM, which went back to a style of game that was increasingly downplayed, Half-Life and Half-Life 2 basically helped create things that are now omnipresent in games. It's a lot harder for Half-Life to do something interesting because the big things it did (cinematic story-driven plots) are now in every game.

It isn't about being original, it's about being interesting, and that's a lot harder.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I wish 5 was out already

It is and v. good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's not just that she gets spooked and yelps all the time, it's in the general way the character is portrayed. She emerges from swiming sections coughing, moaning and gasping for air, instead of doing a somersault out of the water or whatever old school Lara would've done. They deliberately make her seem out of her depth and vulnerable even when she's being competent. It sucks.

"A character needs to gasp for breath after being underwater for a long time" is a weird complaint not in the least because it applies to most characters including old school Lara Croft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Let's all be really obtuse because criticism of a game we like is a personal attack.

It's not really a sensible criticism is the thing.

PS1 characters barely had body language. Complaining that a modern character doesn't have the same body language as a PS1 character is silly. You can certainly complain that she's not portrayed as confident and enjoying her adventure (which honestly she isn't and I think that sucks) but things like "gasping for breathing after coming up for air" are omnipresent unless you're talking about a super soldier or something and even then the odds are pretty good it'll happen there too.

I do wish you had more games about confident characters who enjoy their adventures and are having fun, mind, and I think it's disappointing the new Tomb Raider is about murdering a hundred people per second when the original Tomb Raider had 5 human enemies in the entire game.

Lurdiak posted:

I don't need to play it to be right about it.

Oh, you're just being a poo poo. Nevermind.

• Locked thread