Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In non-videogame news we have a beer advent calendar and I am happy to finally start opening it.

Also someone in the previous thread suggested I try Dragon View and so far it actually kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Palpek posted:

The show with Joel McHale was art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaCso_b_PtY

Too bad that they'll probably never allow for something like that ever again.

Haha it's like when they brought Norm Macdonald to that lovely youtube awards show.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I was wandering the fire cave in dragon view minding my own business and killing bad guys when suddenly the game crashed :saddowns:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jay Rust posted:

So is FFXV... good?

as far as I know it's fun to play but the story is a trainwreck

So status quo as far as final fantasy goes.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I do very much appreciate that the Striker frees up the shotgun ammo in your briefcase but I'm more of a Riot Gun guy myself. Love me those focused shotgun blasts.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Actually all guns in RE4 are unironically good.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It deals the same amount of damage as a hand grenade, of course ammo is rare. It's handy for sniping, especially in the castle and island.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CJacobs posted:

Every weapon has a use! It's just that some of them, like the mine thrower, have so few uses comparatively that you should tell the merchant to go shove it up his rear end and instead buy a cool handgun.

I will admit it's not worth its price tag.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Guy Mann posted:

I wish he did more scavenger hunts like the one at the beginning of the game with the pendants, that was fun.

He does have other games though. He has shooting galleries.

Four of them.

That you have to play up to six times each to get the full rewards.

None of which are free guns... but they are at least huge piles of money

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

How can the newest blockbuster from one of videogame's hottest series have such terrible voice acting

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

I like the trend of the final boss in the game being 100% gimmicky and defeated by one weapon.

Making the hologram vulnerable to only Bubble Lead in MM2 was a brilliant and also frustrating "gently caress you."

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

Now that I'm approaching the end f the NES mega mans I'm torn on how to continue, to split each of the series out and approach them separately (eg # series, X and Zero) or to play all the games in order of release, platform be damned.

Well they are all quite different series. Even the X games with largely the same format feel way different from original Mega Man so base your decision on whether or not you want to mix it up a bit. Variety is the spice of life and all that. Also don't forget MM9 and 10 because they are Really Good.

At least play MM7 before moving on to X.

Report when you get to the final boss of MM7 :getin:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

I beat 5 in one sitting, I liked it more than 4 and it might be my second favorite behind 3, even though it was pretty easy compared to the others. There were some really inventive levels! I only played 2 levels of 6 so far but it feels like it's gonna be a fairly weak entry already, although things can turn around.

My favorite thing about 6 is that it has a canadian robot master

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mega Man 9 has a weapon that shoots bees everywhere.

This makes 9 one of the best in the series hth

Bicyclops posted:

7 kind of sucks though, and I remember 8 being a weird collectathon for screws in between anime movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ_FSVWR6ZE

also:

Lurdiak posted:

7 does not suck.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That was cool.

Lurdiak posted:

There's a password that unlocks all 8 bosses from the start.

That does not make it right.

Also MM7 has this rad easter egg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryxXAiVXVic

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

corn in the bible posted:

please make an aaa game about penguins

But Kojima already made one??

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

I just booted up MMX for the first time after marathoning MM4,5 and 6 in one day and oh my god. This game is insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8eLoCtHB4E

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Colonel posted:

rule #1 of mega man x: always chill penguin first

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

The menu also said there's a dash button but it doesn't do anything. Yet, at least.

Just go fight chill penguin already

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It's why Bugzzy gives you the suplex power in Kirby :)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Looper posted:

This is the one reason I could never consider X a perfect game. How are you supposed to know that

In blind Mega Man gameplay you typically keep trying the stages until you beat one. Chill Penguin's stage is one of the easiest and you can't skip the capsule, which lies only halfway in.

Also I'm pretty sure the original SNES manual says "Dash (requires armor upgrade)" or somesuch on the controls page but I could be misremembering that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Harrow posted:

Trico sometimes not following your commands is one of those things where... like, yeah, it's realistic, and maybe it makes you feel more like Trico is a real animal, but is it good for actually playing the game? I'm all for games trying to draw the player in more, make them feel like the world is more real, but when realism comes in the form of a frustrating game mechanic, I can't blame someone for dropping it.

In Shadow of the Colossus Agro would sometimes do stubborn horse poo poo like suddenly jank in the wrong direction, especially during battle, or avoid cliff faces. It was actually kind of neat and it never really felt overdone or intrusive.

Not that I'm saying Last Guardian's approach is good, but it is possible to convey "stubborn dumb animal" believably and not having it ruin a good gaming time.

Stealth edit: I'm not arguing with you, just adding to your comment.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Viewtiful Jew posted:

For some reason I remember Agro acting stubborn on the way to the bosses, but when it was serious time and colossi like Dirge were on your rear end she put on her A-Game.

I could be misremembering. It's been like 10 years since I last played it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Space for 4. Still going on!

I'm here but I don't have a chat account and don't want to sign up right now hope that's ok

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

I beat Mega Man X and holy gently caress thats one hell of a game. The movement, the weapons, the upgrades, the secrets hidden in the levels, the level design. All of it was pitch perfect, in the future whenever Im able to have my SNES set up again I'm going to get a cart and keep that one forever. Along with Kirby Super Star.

it's a good game

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mega Man 7 is good actually

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

It's OK but it seems super uninspired. I've only beaten 3 of the first 4 levels (WTF only being able to choose from half...)

I told you to play it before X for a reason. Now you've seen Mega Man's true potential and cannot go back.

In Training posted:

I think the emulator I'm using is sub-par because the sound in 7 sounds real grody and off tune. Didn't have any issues with X so who knows.

All SNES emulators are sub-par unless they're higan/bsnes

quote:

X6 is bad

I played through it like twice and didn't really find it that terrible. Mind I played exclusively as Zero and it's pretty fun.

Also the music is hella good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvm1aR8FrNg

E: i will admit that this fucker's stage and the volcano level are incredibly bad

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 6, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sorry if I'm a bit late to the sonic music chat but this is the actual real answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5g8XIlVYLI

also this:

Lizard Wizard posted:

For real though Supporting Me.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PantsBandit posted:

When I was a kid I stole the manual from a Blockbuster copy of Blasto for PS1. I felt a little guilty about it but I probably read that thing 50 times. It was my first real crime.

Same but instead for Frantic Flea rented from the corner store.

Edit: it wasn't a good manual or anything i just forgot to put it back in the rental case

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

Mega Man 8 is a really bizarre game. I kinda dig it but they broke a very basic design principle and made each boss stage 2 stages which is kinda hosed up and ruins the whole flow of Mega Man. Usually you want to reach a boss, try the weapons you have and if there's no weakness, give it an honest shot and then if it's too overwhelming just jump to a different level. You can't do that in 8 because there's a halfway point save that gets made, so if you leave you lose progress that you don't have to. So it always forces you to stick with the stage you chose which is antithetical to the spirit of Mega Man. Absolutely gorgeous sprites, although the art direction seems to have been somebody standing over a computer yelling MORE! COPY PASTE ALL THOSE SUCKERS!!

im aqua man but you can call me handsome guy

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Golden Goat posted:

Are there any good chrismas-y video game songs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_QFiVTdlh0

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO9yS_vwJck

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 8, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Harrow posted:

Are there any good Christmas-y video games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28TyIsCwkQo

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oh there's also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ftIeAw9iak

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

edit: nevermind I am a dummy, have some Christmas lemmings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBvFDcn7hKk

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

lets hang out posted:

hey remember EVO Search for Eden on SNES? It was actually a sequel to a pc98 game that has an english patch coming out sometime soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ISbJ0k0l0I

It was posted a while back but I just want to say again that as an ecologist and also a gamer i am so loving pumped

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

I thought the ice stage in MM8 was pretty rough, but then I played Astro Man's stage, which is, so far, the worst Mega Man stage in history. gently caress everybody involved with that level

Was that the one where you're in a mesoamerican pyramid? I did not like that level. It was bad.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Snak posted:

(I have never played a MegaMan game.)

You should play a Mega Man game imo

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Snak posted:

Maybe. It's probably way too hard for me. I tried to play Super Mario Brothers once, and that did not go well. Platforming is not my thing.

Mega Man Battle Network is an RPG and it's good :)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I know a guy who fell asleep while playing Ocarina of Time and slept for like 9 hours and when he woke up Link was just swimming in circles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phantasium posted:

Nonsense friend, now you can play the acclaimed Other M on your Wii U, available digitally! (for more than it would cost to get a new copy at retail)

yessss I'm always on the lookout for an excuse to post this picture I took at a Calgary Walmart in January 2014, three and a half years after it was released:

• Locked thread