Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Palpek posted:

Somebody sum up what was shown at the awards please. I don't give a crap about who won but rather what premiered or what title's gameplay was finally shown etc.

Newest teaser for the Hideo Kojima game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Buca di Bepis posted:

Stux is the best poster in this thread

Stux is good because he adds variety to the thread by having lots of wrong opinions backed by furious typing. When he has a good opinion its like thread christmas.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

Fez is really cool regardless of the creator and I'm sad there is no Fez 2

There's a documentary i think called 1up that follows him, the super meat boy guys, and some pretentious french canadian dev. The fez dev was hilariously childish. I recommend watching it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Looper posted:

What is wrong with Battleborn? I don't know anything about this apparent debacle

Fps moba released at almost the same time as Overwatch.(in a smart move Blizzard did a free weekend when bb released)
Fps fans discovered the shooting to be not very good.
Moba fans discovered that the abilities were not balanced.
Everyone discovered that the match is decided in 10 minutes, but lasts 30-40.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I'm playing the opening of Phantom Pain, please send supplies so I can survive this month-long trek.

Good luck, please keep us updated, as there's some pretty hilarious things that can happen.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Anyone know of any games that have a base building aspect, but not as the core aspect of the game? It doesn't have to be particularly deep. Could be something like the Suikoden series, or Fallout 4.

You said it doesnt have to be deep, so i would suggest Pillars of Eternity. The devs themselves said they didnt do as well with the home base as they wanted, but it adds some fun new fights, the massive multi trip dungeon of the game is underneath it, and you get a neat large scale battle to keep it.

The Colonel posted:

valve's development process is weird and eventually led to just nobody really wanting to bother i guess

Iirc the valve devs work on what they want, and aren't assigned anything. I know i would not be willing to work on a boring fps in a boring setting instead of making stupid fun hats or another puzzle game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Excuse me sir, but bell peppers belong to the same genus as peppadews, and are in fact the same species as jalapenos

Though if you want to be technical none of them are real peppers since pepper originally referred to peppercorn specifically, but was a fad word used to describe any pungent spice around the time we started stealing seeds from the Americas. Which is how it became the common name for the delicious fruits we all love.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I want an assasin game to have a mission that plays out like Franz Ferdinand's death. You meet a buddy at a bar to plan it out and suddenly the person walks or drives right by you so it's just this chaotic moment of opportunity that escalates into figuring out how to escape in all the chaos.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

In Training posted:

SOTN and Super Metroid are at like polar opposites of 2D exploratory game design though

This is why Metroidvania is good term. By referencing both ends of the spectrum it covers everything in between.

The reason it's a bad term is because it's so long of a word.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm gonna try to play some Sacrifice, that neat Shiny RTS game.

Also, I just remembered this cool fuckin poo poo exists. Proclick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqh0ogsF_js

We got Anki Overdrive last year and it's indeed pretty rad. Expensive as all getout though if you want track expansions. The weirdest thing is the like singleplayer RPG thing and the rng drops from races.
Definitely the best F-zero game we're probably going to get for a while.

Edit: my goty is looking like FFTactics. Crashing at my moms and my brother got it for the ps3 apparently and having no access to my PC i decided to try it out. It's real good so far, though i think ive already won. The MC has already mastered Monk and Geomancer by chapter 2 :V

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 10, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

The Gamecube's memory cards being so small that at launch sports titles required an entire card to save their career mode was the worst. Even Nintendo themselves had to just give away a memory card with Animal Crossing since one save took an entire card.

Gamecube memory cards were the first time offbrand was better than the real deal in my life. Iirc we had one that was twice the size of nintendos largest.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

I said come in! posted:

How come 3D never took off for games? Or does it really not matter anymore now that VR exists?

The same reason its mostly family films that do 3d. It's extra development time for a novelty that hurts your eyes and has worse image quality than 2d.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I'm playing Dead Space 1 for the first time and here are my thoughts so far:

-The Plasma Cutter or whatever it's called (the default gun) seems to be by far the best thing to use. I've tried some of the other weapons and it's the only one that can seemingly kill anything, including bosses.
-However I'm finding that I burn through the ammo super quickly. Like I just finished the boss at the end of Chapter 6 and went from around ~120 bullets to less than 20. I have the Force Gun to use for a while but again, it feels like it kind of sucks compared to the Cutter.
-Game is good but also very stressful.

Buy ammo for other guns or dont get other guns. The game drops ammo for what you dont have, so if youre full on everything else it will only drop ammo for the cutter.

The easiest achievment is besting the game using nothing but the cutter. I missed it because i didnt learn that tip until too late.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

GUI posted:

Deadly Premonition is one of the best Dreamcast games ever made.

I mean what other games on the cast are actually good besides Powerstone 2 and Nights?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

glam rock hamhock posted:

Bangai O, Shenmue 1 and 2, Sword of the Berserk, Canon Spike, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Soul Caliber, Skies of Arcadia, Space Channel 5 part 1 and 2, Toy Commander, Jet Set Radio, Armada, Ikaruga, Typing of the Dead, Grandia II, Project Justice, Chu Chu Rocket, Virtua Tennis and Crazy Taxi to name a few.

There was no Nights game though

Cool, i genuinely didnt know since i got a Dreamcast well after it died while i was still young enough to not have disposable income. Though im taking it with a grain of salt because Toy Commander was Janky Controls vs Tank Controls:the game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

GUI posted:

There's some minor changes in levels and dialogue but for the most part it's the same. The final level is the exact same unlike the first game where it changed significantly depending on your Chaos level.

Having just started the first game, i can see how that might be offputing, because kills raise chaos and like 90%of the upgrades are about murdering people. It takes an upgrade and limited ammo to knock people out if you get seen, and at least for the first assassination, the nonlethal version is a bit of a burden. So the amount of chaos is based more on your skill than letting you make decisions.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

jackpot posted:

I like hurting people and walking around a lot, so I've loved Skyrim, Fallout 4, and Shadow of Mordor. I only get a few games each year - what would I like this Christmas for the XBone?

I'm seriously thinking of getting the Skyrim SE unless there's some newer, cooler world for me to obsess over for a few months.

Witcher 3 or the newest Just Cause. The new GTA as well.

I will say Skyrim SE gives you minor mods, so thats cool too.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

plz dont pull out posted:

I think I bounced off The Witcher 3 three or four times. Not because any of it was bad, but just because it's so dense. Every new area seems to open up at least one new multi quest plotline that could potentially be the main quest in some other RPG. While they're all interesting and complex, it's easy to feel overwhelmed.

I didnt get a chance to mention it when we were talking about episodic content, but witcher 3 does it really well with the dlc, where it starts you at an appropriate level for the dlc which is nicely self-contained. I highly recommend doing hearts of stone if the main quest and area has you feeling lost like this.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Re: combat
I feel like platinum games are pretty widely regarded as great. Its just that they're pretty bad at even mentioning, let alone explaining advanced mechanics.

I know dota chat is frowned upon in games, but in case anyone else plays the dumb game I turned into a banana as the new hero, the new update is hilarious and ridiculous. We HotS now boys.

Back to good games though, been playing Black Flag and it's great. I love being a pirate going from a low chaos dishonored run. Did that guard have a wife and kids? Who cares, gently caress him, got mine.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think next year someone will come up with a VR app that will let you watch replays or live MOBA battles through a VR headset and allow you to control time, angle, zoom, and maybe even picture-in-picture so you can follow more than one character at a time, all while being able to provide you with additional information above the field of play or with different types of overlays. Watching the matches now is a little disorienting if you're not very familiar with the game, but if you could see all the action from above as well as lean in for a closer look or otherwise manipulate the playback it would take the experience to another level.

Valve is already on that like white on rice my friend.

FirstAidKite posted:

Different kinds of games. Different strokes.

Some people are good at crazy fast on-the-fly thinking and muscle memory required for combo memorization and counters in fighting games. Some people prefer learning a specific role and working as part of a team as part of a longer, more management/rts-style war game, some people prefer just racing each other to see who can complete a game the fastest, and some people prefer games where the goal is to just get the most kills with whatever gun you have.

In addition to this, DOTA specifically has 112 different heroes that could potentially fit someone's brain and playstyle perfectly which feels even better than winning imo.
Which kind of comes back to the feel of combat like we were all talking about earlier. I know how to play all 112, i know how to play 110 well, but i probably only really enjoy playing 30 or so.

Re: HotS, i think the reason it's not as successful as planned is because people who like mobas think it's a bit too simple, and people who dont like mobas dont like mobas.
Though iirc plenty of high skill dota players play hots and/or hearthstone during their stupidly long queues.

Ps. Black Flag owns, my quartermaster owns, and now that ive impersonated an assassin and pissed off the templars both, i cant wait to wreck a bunch of ships before i continue the story.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ostentatious posted:

what game/anime are u spending the holidays with and sitting down for a pleasant turkey dinner to talk about what's going on with ur lives while family argues about politics

Gundam 0080: war in the pocket is my favourite xmas movie because it's the right amount of action, politics, ethical questions and crying. All set around xmas and featuring a child's point of view.

But i know im getting a 3ds xl, so ill probably play something on that.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

Don't pro gamers have to retire at like 27 because their reaction times get dulled just a hair and they can't keep up with the new generation? I think one of the oldest players is 30. What do you do once you retire from pro gaming? It seems like a profession where you get picked up by a sponser in your teens and I don't think getting a degree is something your coach cares about. So you start pushing 30 and you're off the team, hopefully with a nest egg. What then? Coach? Commentate? Commercials? There's got to be scores of washed up gamers working at local grocery stores by now, forever reliving the gank that lost them the championship and sent him back to Ashtabula.

A lot of them can continue to have good revenue via twitch. And for the se asians and eastern europeans, they can retire after like two tournaments due to the exchange rates.

In Training posted:

There's a neat game hidden in there but it needed a lot more work IMO. Or someone to mod it and make it more interesting.

As an aside how possible is that? Could I make the really really cool Doom I think is partially in that new game?

Remake it as a wad for og doom.

boy are my arms tired posted:

all this dota talk is making me kind of want to load it back up

shameful on my part, sorry

Read the patch notes and laugh, its more fun than playing since maybe 20% of players read the patch notes games are stupid right now.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

plz dont pull out posted:

Yeah, thinking about it I'd might say Syndicate is a better Starbreeze/Machine Games FPS than Wolfenstein, though it's been a while since I played it.

gently caress yeah, Syndicate is my #1fps ive ever played. Everything in that game is fast and fluid, whether it's running, sliding, shooting, or using your weird augment powers. Even the music is hype and cutscene are either actiony or just quick.

Harrow posted:

That's a pretty boneheaded decision for a game that otherwise seems to be all about high-octane firefights and dual-wielding shotguns. I'm glad DOOM just lets you walk over health, armor, and ammo to get them.

Wolfenstein:TNO is about a former neo-nazi realizing real nazis are bad and killing them all with throwing knives. I literally only used guns for the robots and bosses which is why those enemies were loving stupid. Let me pry open that robo brain with my knife. Let me kill the final boss with a knife to the skull through his wide open cockpit.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Ahahaha Black Flag, you had such a good setup for an interesting take where the MC is neutral and caught between a group of murderers and a bunch of fascists.

But nope, native Americans are naturally assassins and Mayan magic stones. I love it. Ramming brigs to death and putting captain hats on random dudes owns though, so ill probably stop doing the mq as soon as i get the diving stuff and just see how many ships i can take on at once.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Speaking of Styx, how is that Orcs and Gobbos game that's in the same universe? It looks vaguely interesting.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cant wait to read their diet and workout routines. Extremely jealous of whoever is going to work on the costume team too.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

tap my mountain posted:

I believe that is intentional, since it's the first game where he's not putting on an act as a triple agent. This is the one game where you get to meet the real Ocelot, and he's kind of boring guy who tells you to avoid getting split in half by a helicopter's machine gun.

He twirls a gun literally once in mgsV. Actually my biggest grievance against the game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
What's everyones favourite thing they've done in a game recently?

For me, playing Black Flag, I saw a spanish blockade, jumped off my ship, swam to each ship and covertly murdered every single crew member on all 7 ships before geting back on the Jackdale and instantly capturing every single one for my growing trade fleet.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Recommended 3ds themes anyone? Leaning towards snake eater just so its all boxes.

New fire emblem is good, but so far i feel like normal is a bit too easy. puckLilith is cool.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I did a twelve hour drive in one sitting as the only driver a few months ago(my roommate's runaway sister was detained in utah and he cant drive)
Nightvale and Xience energy drinks were the only reason i made it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Red Bones posted:

What is the average age of a 3DS owner, do you think? Because there's stuff like this where it's like, oh, nobody has talked about Federation Force since it came out, but then the 3DS sales numbers are pretty rosy iirc. Maybe people talked about it a lot in playgrounds and in kindergardens?

Federation Forces did poorly enough we dont know their sales figures because they never charted.
For example, the first week it was available in Japan we know it sold less that 4,000 copies but no solid numbers. That's already small enough to be damning though.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Red Bones posted:

Metroid is definitely not dead for good, it's just gonna sit on the shelf until Nintendo has a gaming platform or a gameplay mechanic that they think would mesh well with the Metroid IP. No IP that ever turned a profit is dead for good in this day and age, c'mon.

F-Zero

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I have problems finishing games, i think the first game i beat was warcraft 3 using cheat codes so i could beat everything to death with the night elf buildings.

I think the first game i legit beat was either Cubivore or Windwaker.
First game i 100%ed and really mastered was TES4: Oblivion. Even today im pretty sure i could tell you where to find and how to finish any quest as well as tonnes of bugs/exploits to get things like the 100% magic resist shield from an arena opponent or how to cheese umbra at level 1.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Harrow posted:

Demon's isn't particularly vague at all, and neither is Bloodborne (at least with the DLC involved). There are definitely open questions about why the Great Ones need humans, but beyond that, the history of Yharnam and why it got hosed up is really clear.

I might be overstating the vagueness of Dark Souls, but Bloodborne and Demon's Souls are both really clear, and Demon's is especially straightforward.

While i agree with you, in the other persons defense, i believe Demon's is much more vague about the player character than Dark Souls. Who they are and why they're alive, why they're tiny but important.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I have 2k+ hours in Dota 2 if we're talking about wasting our lives playing video games.

Re: difficulty chat, i like variable difficulty because everyone has different skills. And also because most AAA devs dont know how to balance higher difficulties.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Im clopening my restaurant :fork:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Got off work early, been catching up on the Boston Major and playing meteos, man i suck at tetris attack style games. Gonna be a while before i unlock Meteos, but it's the last thing to unlock.

Looks like im going to start my new year brokering peace between my moms though :(

• Locked thread