Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wait, what the gently caress, Mario Maker is coming out for 3DS? I totally missed that. Is it going to be stripped-down or what? I could see that being a crazy fun handheld game.

Nate RFB posted:

Funnily enough Bloodborne has never been on the shortlist, though I do expect to give it a go eventually since if I'm going to play any Souls-like game at this point it's probably going to be that.

I'm probably biased but yeah, if you're only ever going to play one Souls-like game, make it Bloodborne. It really is an exceptional game and I think it's the only one of the Souls(borne) games that I would recommend to just about anyone who likes games.

(I'm on record as saying that I think it's frighteningly close to being a perfect game, which I know a lot of people disagree with--blood gems and the worst online multiplayer system in the series are easily its biggest flaws, and I don't mean to downplay them--but frankly I stand by it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

You can only share levels locally.

And you can only play certain levels people made from the Wii U version (none of the ones involving costumes).

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Only so far as to remove the ability to share levels. That is, the entire point of the game.

God damnit, Nintendo, you could've had something absolutely incredible there. A game where I can make, share, and play Mario levels from anywhere would've been maybe the coolest handheld game ever, but nooooo.

Bloodborne would be perfect if blood vial farming wasn't a thing.

I've read some interesting defenses of the blood vial system:

1. It's intended to encourage you to fight enemies instead of rushing past them. If you fight the enemies on your run back to a boss you'll get some vials, usually. I don't think this really works, though, because it's not really effectively communicated (and you don't get very many vials that way). It's a good idea on its surface, but doesn't quite do what it's intended to. Maybe if enemies were more likely to drop blood vials if you've recently died to a boss, or based on their proximity to a boss door?

2. It lets you refill your healing without respawning enemies. This is something I do like. Enemies dropping blood vials means that using one to heal isn't as weighty of a decision as using an estus flask charge. Dark Souls 3 sort of kept this by having enemies randomly give you back an estus flask charge, but that felt a lot more random and less immediately understandable. That, and this isn't incompatible with just spawning you with 10 blood vials if you die with fewer.

I should note that I never really minded the blood vial system, though, so as a flaw in the game it isn't as big of a deal to me as it is to some people. I have a higher tolerance for farming than a lot of players, I think. Usually, by mid-game, I just head to the Lecture Hall, farm a bunch of souls, and buy hundreds of blood vials so I never have to worry about it for the rest of the playthrough.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Actually I guess Lamp warping is the one thing the game really lacked that I felt.

Lamp-to-lamp warping would've been nice, yeah. This is another thing that didn't bother me as much as it did some other people, though, because it just made the game feel more like Demon's Souls, so I shrugged it off. It also hurt a lot less when they cut down the loading times.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 1, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

In non-videogame news we have a beer advent calendar and I am happy to finally start opening it.

One of these days I'm going to splurge on a whisky advent calendar like this one: https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/drinks-by-the-dram/the-whisky-advent-calendar/

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does the Switch have a touch screen? I remember assuming it wouldn't because that wasn't shown during the reveal trailer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Excited for Zelda, Death Stranding, and Spectre Knight. Also happy I stopped watching the actual Game Awards stream early because gently caress that was getting unbearable. How is this even worse when it's not being put on by Spike TV?

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOIzH6UcoW4

e: Actually skimming the video now - the mako is back! :woop:

And I'm glad they picked a Vanguard to show off the gameplay and it's just as flashy and crazy as ever.

CJacobs posted:

I can't say because I did not watch

But what I can say is that I want a Schick Hydro character action game by Platinum now

I felt a little bad for Bosman. Going by his pre-hanging out with Geoff days, he knows exactly how embarrassing the whole affair was and how lovely the parts he was given were. He's usually quite a bit funnier than that but now a bunch of people just saw him as the annoying guy :smith:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 2, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

We'll probably be able to when they get around to that mode in the year 2019 :v:

Maybe an actual sequel starring Shield Knight? That'd be cool. I'm sure there'll be a true Shovel Knight sequel eventually, once they're done giving us new modes for free like total badasses.

I wonder who the third playable boss knight will be.

Also, I'm curious: when the Kickstarter was ongoing, what did they say about the playable boss knight modes? Did they say they'd get their own stories and unique challenges? Because if they didn't promise that then, I'm really impressed with how above-and-beyond they're going with those. They could've easily just grafted them in like Richter mode in Symphony of the Night where it's sort of a novelty that ends up being a little awkward, but hey, you can play as that dude you wanted to play as! But nope, they're doing it right, and that owns.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 2, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh yeah, didn't Yacht Club have a poll a while back about what kind of game they should make next? I think I responded that I'd love to see their take on a classic JRPG.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

boy are my arms tired posted:

i took a really regrettable leap into the rabbithole of fan theories based on 4 minute teaser trailers and jesus christ its weird

del toro lookin good though, glad he got to work on a game with kojima *pours a 40 for PT*

e: https://www.reddit.com/r/DeathStranding/comments/5g1nlf/the_game_takes_place_in_limbo/ this dude lmao

Any fan theory that isn't just "Mads Mikkelsen is a cool techno-necromancer" and that's it is reaching way too goddamn far. But he's definitely a cool techno-necromancer and I'm probably going to be bummed out that I don't get to play as him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I didn't really want a sequel to The Last of Us, and I especially didn't want it to star Ellie and Joel if it was going to be made. But, well, Naughty Dog has a pretty good track record with not loving up their stories, so I'll try to contain my extreme skepticism about this sequel.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Palpek posted:

I'm looking forward to The Last of Us 2. I also felt like the first one had pretty much a perfect ending but I can't say to no to more of that game. Naughty Dog hasn't disappointed me yet.

I figured there'd be a sequel to The Last of Us but I really hoped it would follow new characters and leave Joel and Ellie where we last saw them. I guess that's not really Naughty Dog's style, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Doing pretty good on that Patreon (depending on how many people are involved). I really enjoyed Danny O'Dwyer's stuff over at GameSpot but I didn't see that he'd set up something new after he left and clearly it is going well. But now I get to watch more Danny O'Dwyer videos, so, cool.

When I say "depending on how many people are involved" I'm thinking of Easy Allies, which is pulling down $38k/month in Patreon money but there are so many people doing it that it can't really be anyone's full-time job except I think maybe Brandon Jones.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 5, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I believe there's two or three people total with danny. And you have to keep in mind the patreon cut, as well as that a good chunk of that goes towards travel and lodging expenses since he does a lot of traveling to do these things.

Oh for sure, I'm sure that money is stretched pretty thin. Any good production is going to have a lot of costs involved beyond just paying the main presenter. With Easy Allies, $38k/month isn't as much money as it sounds like it is because there are like nine of them and it also has to cover things like traveling to conventions and expos and poo poo (plus the Patreon cut).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The complaints that I've read are just that the controls feel really janky in the way that people generally forgave for PS2 games but that feels outdated for a PS4 game. But I haven't actually played it myself so I have no idea how fair that criticism actually is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CrashCat posted:

http://venturebeat.com/2016/12/05/the-last-guardian-straddles-the-line-between-feeling-old-and-feeling-timeless/

Well there's one explanation of what they think makes it feel old and they mostly sound like positives to me

I mean, it sounds like that reviewer also holds the opinion that those are positives.

Really the only "it feels outdated" critique that has made sense to me has to do with the controls being janky, but having not played it, I have no idea. I think some people are really frustrated with Trico, too, either because the controls to tell him what to do are obtuse or because sometimes he just doesn't listen, which is realistic but can be frustrating when you want to play a game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I don't mind videos for some things but I frigging hate videos that explain how to fix/install/repair things. I understand why those are useful but I really don't want to sit through a 10 minute video when I just need a set of instructions.

Same for me.

I go to videos for things that really do need to be visual. Like, let's say I'm considering trying a certain character build in an RPG and I want to see how it plays. I'll go to a video for that. But more than half the time, any video about any given build is just somebody with the skill tree up just talking over it and hovering the cursor over things for 30 minutes with no actual gameplay. And I wonder, who wants those videos? Whose ideal method of finding that information is a long, disorganized video with nothing of visual interest? Clearly these people number in the thousands though so :shrug: I guess.

I do like some videos that explain how to install certain things, but really only for physical things. Like, I wouldn't ever go to a video to help me install or fix a piece of software, but I did find videos helpful when I first built a PC so I could watch someone physically work with the same kinds of parts I was.

Apparently book reviews on YouTube are a thing now and I can't imagine wanting to listen to some random person talk about a book for ten minutes. Maybe I'm weird, but I don't think a review needs to be a video unless it's reviewing something with a visual component and wants to include clips.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 5, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lobok posted:

Writing actual proper instructions that work for people with little prior knowledge is tricky and tedious.

YouTube videos are easy and maybe you can make some of that sweet ad money!

Yeah, maybe it's because I do that for my actual, real-life day job that makes me more sensitive to it. I value really good written instructions.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Jim Sterling's got a video on the last guardian, he likes a lot about it, but hates some stuff too. That said, his thing on "you can throw the food barrel at trico and sometimes he'll catch it in his mouth and eat it like that and it's really awesome, and other times he'll just sit there and let it hit him in his stupid gormless face" if anything sells me on it even more because that is totally something dogs do. Sometimes they'll have a preternatural ability to snatch something out of midair, and other times they'll just sit there and watch it hit them square in the forehead

Trico sometimes not following your commands is one of those things where... like, yeah, it's realistic, and maybe it makes you feel more like Trico is a real animal, but is it good for actually playing the game? I'm all for games trying to draw the player in more, make them feel like the world is more real, but when realism comes in the form of a frustrating game mechanic, I can't blame someone for dropping it.

Snak posted:

I think real literacy is a huge problem.

No, I don't mean that people literally can't read English. I mean they don't know how to parse sentences and turn them into useful information in their brain.

I taught freshman/junior comp at a university for a little over three years and yeah, this is a huge thing. My colleagues and I generally saw literacy as the real thing we were trying to teach, not writing, and it's hard as hell. Media literacy, too, figuring out how to sort good from bad information or judge the trustworthiness of a writer or speaker. Sometimes I'd get students who'd assume an outlet is "biased" if it has a point of view--I'm sure that's how they were taught in high school--but it isn't that simple, either, and thinking that way opens yourself to thinking that the only way a media source can be trustworthy is if it "gives both sides equal time."

Weirdly enough I'd love to go back to that if I could actually make money doing it but like hell I'm getting a PhD and not having one just lets universities pay you dangerously close to nothing so gently caress that :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

In Shadow of the Colossus Agro would sometimes do stubborn horse poo poo like suddenly jank in the wrong direction, especially during battle, or avoid cliff faces. It was actually kind of neat and it never really felt overdone or intrusive.

Not that I'm saying Last Guardian's approach is good, but it is possible to convey "stubborn dumb animal" believably and not having it ruin a good gaming time.

Stealth edit: I'm not arguing with you, just adding to your comment.

Yeah, it can absolutely be done well, I agree. It sounds like Jim doesn't think The Last Guardian does it well, but a lot of others seem to like it, so it could very well be that his personal tolerance for it is lower than others'.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

I started MMX over and beat Penguin Man and its night and loving day with the dash + jump boosting through every level and not giving a crap about enemies. This game is amazing now, why in the world do they hide this ability in one of the stages??

It's the only Mega Man game I can think of where there really is a "do this stage first, no, seriously" stage. Unfortunately that also tends to mean you're probably going to do the stages in the same order every time unless you intentionally don't go to the boss who's very obviously weak to Chill Penguin's weapon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

you're describing Zelda not dark souls

if your next post is to trash Zelda i will tell shigeru miyamoto personally of your transgression

To be fair, comparing Souls to Zelda isn't a terrible comparison, especially if you're thinking of the first Legend of Zelda. Souls doesn't have much in the way of puzzles and it doesn't do that Zelda thing of "get an item that unlocks new things, go back to old areas to find hidden items with it," but the first Zelda game hadn't really fully established that formula yet. I don't think it'd be too off-base to say that Dark Souls is like if you took the first Legend of Zelda and made it 3D (and more grimdark).

(I say Dark Souls and not Demon's Souls because Demon's Souls doesn't have an "overworld," so it's not quite as apt a comparison.)

I think that Souls compares more easily to Castlevania than Zelda, but Zelda comparisons aren't totally off, either.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

This isn't related to anything, and doesn't contribute to meaningful discussion, but Bravely Default is really good and makes me happy. Except when a character dies the same round round I kill the boss, which makes me sad...

I'm also pretty excited there's a whole 'nother game after this one.

I really loved Bravely Default. I have Bravely Second sitting around waiting for me to play it but I haven't been in a classic JRPG mood for a while. But I'm happy it'll be there when I need it. It's such a fun and satisfying game. I played on Hard and I'm glad I did, too, because I ended up really having to care about the job system and being smart about how I built my party, which is exactly what I wanted and was afraid the game wouldn't deliver. From what I've played of Bravely Second, that's still true, and it also decided to break pretty significantly from classic Final Fantasy jobs to deliver some pretty unique and fun new jobs. Most of the classic FF jobs are still there in Bravely Second, but they're all optional, while the new jobs are the ones that you get automatically and earlier, which I thought was a great move. My only real complaint about Bravely Second is that the new soundtrack isn't nearly as good as Bravely Default's.

I don't know how far you are in Bravely Default, but I'm sure you've heard that the second half can get extremely tedious if you don't come at it the right way. My advice is to turn off random encounters entirely starting in Chapter 5 and only turn them back on to grind and track down blue magic. But do all of the side quests available to you in either Chapter 5 or 6 (you don't need to do both) and definitely in both Chapters 7 and 8, which have some of the most fun boss fights in the game.

And because I can't resist giving this gameplay tip every single time: almost all of the game's most dangerous enemy attacks are physical, not magical, even if they're elemental. Dragon breaths, for example, aren't magic: they're elemental physical attacks. That means anything that blocks or evades physical attacks is significantly better than it seems and will be key to surviving the hardest boss fights.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 6, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think Bravely Second's random battles are a lot harder than Default's, and not in a good way, but I got around it for the couple chapters I played by just turning off random battles and then doing a little bit of grinding on easy mode whenever I found the Adventurer so I could save/tent up. It's sorta cheat-y but gently caress it, those battles were tedious.

The bosses definitely seemed easier, though, even playing on Hard again, and knowing what I do about how crazy Wizard abilities get, I'm sure the endgame fights are just going to melt when I get there.

In Default I stuck to a "no repeat jobs" rule that kept things a little interesting even when I could tear the game wide open by the end: if anyone in my party had a job as either their primary or secondary, nobody else could have it. That meant no all-Ninja teams, no multiple-Dark Knight shenanigans, etc. I still had a pretty easy time, though. Vampire/Spiritmaster Tiz, Red Mage/Salve-Maker Agnes as a BP battery, Dark Knight/Templar Ringabel, and Pirate/Swordmaster Edea. Combine that with passing around the Blood Blade's active ability so everyone self-healed on dealing damage and nothing was much of a threat. (Except a few of the Chapter 8 bonus bosses, where I actually had to change my party setup because status ailments were loving me up.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

I think I just started chapter 5 (just got to Eternia in the Grandship). Playing on normal, which is good for me. I'm pretty bad at the game and don't seem to understand a lot of the synergy. Like, I feel like I do, but it's not apparent in my damage output. Most boss battles take me 30 minutes.

That's Chapter 4, I'm pretty sure. You'll definitely know it when you hit the part people talk about.

Snak posted:

Part of it is that I just don't look closely enough at jobs. Initially I avoided Salve Maker because a class that depends on a huge variety of consumables sounded really tedious. But when I realized what the passive was, my healer more than doubled in effectiveness and I've since embraced the Salve Maker toolset.

Salve-Maker owns hard, especially once you get the mix that lets you double a party member's max HP.

Oh, one more Chapter 4 tip (job spoiler, not plot spoiler): when you get the last job in Chapter 4, look up a guide to finding its abilities. It's a classic Final Fantasy "Blue Mage" job and some of the very good abilities that are available in Chapter 4, like White Wind, don't show up again until like Chapter 7, so it's much easier to grab them while you can.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Is that for the duration of the battle? Presumably non-stacking?

For the duration, non-stacking. Combined with an item you'll get in a job side quest dungeon in Chapter 4, you can pretty easily become close to immortal by the time you start Chapter 5. The key to that item is knowing that you can equip a weapon, use its on-use ability, then unequip it in the same turn, and doing so lets everyone on your team do the same thing all in one round. So use the Blood Blade to cast Drain Sword on every physical attacker on the first round and enjoy fully healing yourself every time you attack.

Snak posted:

Yeah I've been doing all the optional side-quests as I go. I'll make sure I get it.

It's not just the job itself, but the blue magics. They're not marked as side quests or anything and you do have to hunt them down a bit. It's not super, super crucial--you can never permanently miss them--but getting them ASAP makes that job go from "really good" to "incredible" right away. And remember: almost all the most dangerous enemy abilities are physical, and that's true even when you're the one using them. So if you use the pseudo-Blue Mage job, give them a strong physical weapon, not a magic-boosting weapon, so they can nuke things real good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm hesitating to buy The Last Guardian because I know it's going to make me cry like a little baby no matter what the ending is. Like, it could have a fully happy ending for all I know and I bet it'd still make me cry.

But also I get all teary-eyed at the end of Final Fantasy IX so

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I'm interested in it but I'm not particularly rushing out to buy it. I find the concept less interesting than ICO/SotC.

This is how I feel, though I think the concept means I'm going to feel more ~emotions~ about it than I did in ICO. I'm definitely going to get it at some point but I'm not in any way hyped.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I've only played a few missions (and I'm on the beginner baby difficulty) but Invisible Inc seems pretty good

Gonna download it when I get home because it seems right up my alley. I've wanted some turn-based tactics stealth for a while and I'm a sucker for anything with even a veneer of cyberpunk.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I couldn't finish The Witness, some of the puzzle gimmicks were way too obtuse for me.

I didn't play The Witness, but I bought it for my girlfriend and watched her play it because I'm awful at puzzles and she loves them.

We both laughed our asses off at the "sit here and watch this video for a loving hour to trace this optional line." I respect the hell out of that. It's hilarious. That, and the one optional environment line where you have to (I'll go ahead and spoiler tag this one) send your boat around the island and sit there and wait for it so that the boat can "carry" your cursor across the gap was beautiful. It's a crazy game that I love but could never play myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RylQGkoZpSE

I guess the run got too rowdy. I think it was at like 2 AM. He and the couch kept making jokes about actors after being told not to, a couple times during the run he muttered swears. It was a fun run, and the audience messing with him by clapping was great. The stuff I quoted above was a pastebin he linked on his Twitter (because it was too long). Oh, he also told people to tweet at Air Canada, probably without realizing just how many people watching were stupid enough to spam them.

e: Actually it was at 11PM.

Wait, what's wrong with joking about actors?

I haven't paid much attention to GDQ lately. Are they trying to be "just about games" and very serious about it or something?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 7, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are there any good Christmas-y video games?

A few years ago I had an idea for a game where you play as Krampus and there's this one really nasty kid you have to drag to hell, but it turns out when you get to Santa's Workshop (which had a portal to hell in it, because he got his powers, along with Krampus's cooperation, in a deal with the devil) it's overrun by demons come to collect on Santa's debt, so Krampus and the kid team up to fight the demons. I think I envisioned it as a metroidvania and the final boss was Mephistopheles. The kid rides in a basket on your back and throws coal as your ranged attack, and your main attack is whipping with your long tongue.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Before playing Stardew Valley, I had no idea that people make jelly out of peppers, as if they were a tasty berry and not a ball of pure fire.

I've been trying to imagine what Pepper Jam tastes like and I just can't wrap my head around it.

A lot of peppers have a berry-like sweetness to go with their heat. Habaneros are a good example of that. There's a bar I used to go to that had a great habanero salsa, surprisingly sweet and then the heat creeps up on you.

I have a jar of jalapeno jelly in my pantry I should try out. I bet it'd be good on a turkey sandwich or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The only real platformers I like are Mario games. I mean, I also like Metroid and Castlevania games, but those series both have a lot of other stuff going on and aren't pure platforming.

I have a lot of affection for Mega Man but I'm just so insanely bad at Mega Man games that I never really have any fun. I did enjoy a couple of the Battle Network games and Legends, of course.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hot videogames take of the day: ban open worlds. I can't shake the feeling that both MGSV and FFXV were negatively impacted by having so much of their development resources dumped into building and populating open worlds that ultimately don't add enough to the overall experience to overcome poorly-told stories and, in FFXV's case, basically turning into FFXIII in the last act.

The only example of a late-franchise game that "went open world" and didn't totally poo poo the bed is The Witcher 3. That's it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You can sorta blow through FFXIII's first open-ish segment--just blasting through the required story quests doesn't take very long and then the game goes back on rails until the post-game. That said, eh, it's also not exactly an essential game so I'm not recommending you go back and give it another shot or anything :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

I was gonna say "But Witcher 3!" and then I finished reading your post.

The thing is, with level sizes being able to be so big now, "Open World" can't necessarily be rigidly defined. Witcher 3's "open world" is, without doubt, open, but it's not designed like GTA or Skyrim or anything. Each part of Witcher 3's open world is essentially a crafted area with its own little story. It doesn't use the premise of "you can go anwhere and there are X hidden collectibles and..." or whatever. If you were to convert Witcher 3 into a "non open-world" game, you would be cutting out smuggler's caches and that's about it. Existing storylines and events would be more strictly gated into discrete levels, but it wouldn't touch the guts of the game. Compare that to Skyrim, where taking out the open world" would remove 90% of the game.

"Open World" is a term that everyone accepts as having a meaning, but it's pretty grey what the difference between an Open World and an Over World is.

Yeah, and to be fair, I don't necessarily mean that all video games should be linear with discrete levels. Like, I wouldn't call Dark Souls "open world," but I think it's stronger for having its levels be connected and something you can traverse without hitting a loading screen.

There have just been so few games with wide-open worlds--the kind that the marketing calls an "open world"--where those worlds actually added to the experience that I really hope it's a trend that dies. If there's a game with a big, wide-open place to explore and that actually adds to the experience, fantastic! But otherwise, it's just busywork that takes up resources that could've been better spent elsewhere.

I guess Final Fantasy XII could be considered "open world" and I think it's a better game for it, but it also doesn't use that open world to bog you down with busywork or entirely abandon it at some point.

And I remain optimistic about Zelda: Breath of the Wild's open world, if only because it looks like they're treating it like a toy for the player to play with more than anything else. If it ends up being crammed with busywork collectathon side quests (y'know, worse than the Zelda usual, I mean) I'll be pretty sad.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really wished that the new Tomb Raider games didn't have in-combat regenerating health. I feel like it undermines the whole "be a tough survivor" aspect. I'm fine with it in Uncharted, because Uncharted is explicitly about fast-paced cinematic action and nobody wants to have to slow down and scrounge for medical supplies on a rollicking Nathan Drake adventure, but Tomb Raider doesn't really sell itself that way. I wouldn't have minded having to craft healing items like in The Last of Us, really.

I haven't played Rise of the Tomb Raider yet, but I did enjoy the first rebooted one despite that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

It still really bugs me that they redesigned Lara Croft to be a moe~ ellen paige lookalike so players would feel bad for her and 'want to protect her'. Lara Croft should be kicking people's tookis, not being grossed out by scorpions.

Is she still like that in Rise? In the first game of the reboot she sure seemed like a hardened badass by the end, and it at least made some sense that she was a naive kid at the start because it was her first adventure. If they went back on that in Rise that's kind of a shame.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The harder difficulties in Rise turn off in combat regeneration.

Oh cool. Is there any way to heal in-combat by bandaging yourself or something, or is it a "survive this fight" sort of thing?

I actually thought that Tomb Raider 2013 shouldn't have had health regeneration at all, even outside of combat, but I had also just played The Last of Us on hard and was on a "hell yeah, having a persistent health bar in this stealth action game owns" kick.

Lurdiak posted:

I only saw a bit of the start of the game but she spends most of it making scared noises at the things that happen around her.

Well that's dumb as hell.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd guess the point is that they wanted her to seem like an actual person who is tough, rather than an invincible action hero. So she responds to physical strain and pain the way a real person would (at least when she isn't being shot in combat) but powers through it anyway because she's a tough badass. But again, I haven't played Rise, so I don't know if they actually pulled that off.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lets hang out posted:

wasn't she supposed to be new at the whole surviving thing? It would make sense for her not be acting super cool all the time. Course that's totally at odds with you executing 20 sweet headshots in a row minutes later.

True, but that's pretty standard at this point. In cutscenes Nathan Drake doesn't seem nearly as good at fighting as he is when the player controls him but eh, you get used to it. I swore off arguing about ludonarrative dissonance years ago.

Lurdiak posted:

I don't care if it "makes sense with this new take on the character" or whatever. The take itself is lame. It's like if they rebooted Duke Nukem into a noodly-armed guy who's constantly screaming in terror at the aliens attacking him.

I don't know that I agree that it's a lame take, I guess. I like the idea of a video game character who does all the video game badass things but actually acts like she feels pain, gets tired, has to gasp for air after being underwater for a long time, etc. It gets across that she really is going through something difficult and that's she's mortal, and it makes it even cooler that she's doing those things because it's clear that they're not easy for a human to do. I'd have an issue with it if she, like, gave up and some guy had to pick her up and carry her the rest of the way, or whines about it and just wants to go home or something, or if other characters around her go through the same things and shrug them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To be fair to Lurdiak's argument, Rise of the Tomb Raider takes place after Tomb Raider 2013, a game where Lara's entire arc is intended to take her from a naive student to a hardened adventurer and killer. If the beginning of the sequel feels like it betrays that, I think that's a valid criticism.

• Locked thread