Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I really hope The Last Guardian is good for everybody's sake :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

Mario Maker 3DS doesn't have the capability for sharing levels? What the gently caress?

Nintendo is afraid to let children use the internet :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I'll play that

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

New Hitman is really really good. Now that all the content is actually out it may actually be the best game in the series, as good or better than Blood Money.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

BB would be perfect if you could choose any weapon you'd previously picked up at the start of a new game.

You know BB has New Game+ right?

All the souls games have boss weapons that don't even drop until the end of the game, so its kinda a necessity.

corn in the bible posted:

my copy of MYTHOS TALES (a lovecraft-themed game based on sherlock holmes consulting detective) arrived and i've been playing through it. lots of notes:

I have this and I love it, although I haven't gotten a group together for it yet. Are you playing solo?

I used to have a CYOA thread but nobody really posted in it :( game-books are really fun.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 1, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

New Game + starts you off with all your equipment/stats/ect which isn't as fun as a fresh run.

...but you were just asking for the ability to start a new game with weapons you've earned :psyduck: seriously Imp what.

And the enemies are balanced for your new stats, that's why its NG+. Its still every bit as hard, if not harder. If you haven't tried NG+ you really should. If you want "new game but with weapon I got from halfway that I like" that's literally it dude.

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't find NG+ as fun as starting the game from scratch again.

I usually start from scratch to try a new build, but that isn't as much a thing in BB so I actually play more NG+ there than in mainline souls games.

In a souls game I'll roll a paladin, a wizard, a straight warrior, a punching street fighter, etc.

But in BB you can see everything there is to do with like 2, maaaybe 3 builds tops.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I haven't tried NG+ in Bloodborne, but in the Dark Souls series this isn't true. Having high stats and fully upgraded weapons absolutely destroys bosses in the first ~2/3 of the game, regardless of the slight extra health and damage it gives them.

Yeah but just knowing where every enemy is and how to fight the bosses makes things really easy for the beginning of the game even if you start a new game from the start :shrug:

Lurdiak posted:

Trying to "change up the formula" is how you ruin a game series. Mega Man didn't change its formula and it took them a long time to gently caress up and make a really bad one. Not every franchise needs to be Mario.

And sure enough the 3D Mega Man games were all super awkward.

That said, they didn't leave the 2D ones alone for long and they got pretty bad for awhile too.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 1, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand there is no long-running franchise at this point which hasn't changed up its formula. You change your formula eventually or you die. It just depends on what that change is.

Like the closest I can think of is Dynasty Warriors which is absurdly long running and has minimal changes, but it gets by that by selling itself on different IPs. I guess you can argue sports games but you don't need to be a sports fan to know how significantly those change things up.

Total War is also pretty much the same as always, just iteratively better like Dynasty Warriors. And Civilization? Well, Civ has changed a bit...

But most games have changed, and the 2D->3D in particular has hosed up lots of games. Sonic and Megaman and Castlevania didn't fare so well, Zelda and Metroid did great.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

re5 with a friend is some of the best co-op gameplay ever.

re5 alone is ok i guess

I dunno, RE4 was a goddamned masterpiece and a solo horror thriller. RE5 was... I mean, in co-op it was fun, but it was just a straight shot run through. I couldn't tell you really anything about it at all. It was basically exactly how I feel about Gears of War.

And even a bad game can be fun with a good co-op buddy. (Although to me, this means devs should really make more co-op games!)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Palpek posted:

The show with Joel McHale was art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaCso_b_PtY

Too bad that they'll probably never allow for something like that ever again.

:drat: I forgot just how cringey that was

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIuC_grsFb8

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 2, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

This looks brilliant

glam rock hamhock posted:

I can't even begin to figure out what type of game Death Stranding will be but it looks pretty cool

We don't know because they haven't shown any actual game yet, just concepts.

Its gonna be a 3rd person adventure game exactly like MGS except way trippier and with less shooting, calling it now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Speaking of unfair dogpiling, I just beat Paper Mario: Color Splash and that game was loving charming from start to finish. It's still going to get people's panties in a twist if they really loved the first two Paper Marios but, well, I didn't so whatever.

I want to like it but the combat just sounds so dull :sigh: The art and story seem very charming.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I just googled in case I missed some kind of news and -

This!

I've always been more a fan of Armored Core style mobile mechs that can fly all over the place, but I do sometimes like the realistic approach of mechwarrior. And drat that video nails the core Mechwarrior feel. The voiceover is perfect and the animations are slick.

MinibarMatchman posted:

so Let It Die is basically a Souls game with 200x the personality and style but also 100x worse combat and fighting. real shame because the game and everything about it is very cool but how the gently caress did they step back and say "yes this combat is perfect, no lock-ons no real counters just roll dodge like a loving moron all day btw your weapons break after 7 seconds"

It sounds bad, but its free to play? I may give it a shot then. Dark Sudas51 doesn't sound great but could be entertaining for a bit.

For real souls action, we have the DS3 DLC that's left and then Nioh coming out early next year.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

In Training posted:

Now that I'm approaching the end f the NES mega mans I'm torn on how to continue, to split each of the series out and approach them separately (eg # series, X and Zero) or to play all the games in order of release, platform be damned.

Play up to 6, then play the X series up to 3, then never play another megaman game again because they'll never return to that high water mark :smith:

9 and 10 are pretty good at least, and 7 and Rockman and Bass are okay.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Blaze Heatnix is probably the worst WORST level on X6. Like, first off you have to fight at stupid big rear end donut, like what four times? Then to top it off, you have to go through a slooooooow crawl up the platforms and there is the instan-death fire rising from below.

And then fight itself? Spoiler in case Looper wants to do it blind Even better when he's at low health is when he covers half the screen in instan death fire.

Only thing that stage going for it is the theme playing.

Plus wtf is a "Heatnix" ?

It should be Blaze Phoenix or Heat Phoenix. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

This is a fair point though

CJacobs posted:

:eng101:

edit: Also, stag beetles rule because they fight each other for female stag beetles' affection by suplexing each other

Oh he's a beetle?! Finally it makes some sense.

A boomerang beetle.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I tried to look up a video of stag beetles doing sick suplexes on other stag beetles, but a bunch of videos of beetles owning huge spiders came up and as most of you know I am 200% not about that life. So you will have to look it up on your own, but trust me it's great.

:hfive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwH7XxdK8NA

Now I know where Pokemon came from

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Looper posted:

What is wrong with Battleborn? I don't know anything about this apparent debacle

Its basically a shittier Overwatch that came out right when Overwatch did and was by Gearbox instead of Blizzard, so it was ultra hosed from the get-go.

Its not as polished as Overwatch, it tries to do a lot of different things because they realized directly competing with overwatch would screw them, but then it doesn't do those various things very well.

Its also got extremely garish UI design, some of the abilities that you end up using could probably give an epileptic massive seizures, its actively painful to watch people play the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Stux posted:

its nothing like overwatch, at all, at a base level

Its a team character-based FPSRPG, its absolutely competing with Overwatch.

The actual gameplay and objectives are closer to DOTA depending upon which game mode you're playing but its a first person team character-class shooter.

I guess that could be yet another reason for its failure though; MOBAs have become extremely over-saturated.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:eyepop:

Help Im Alive posted:

Why'd they never make HL2 episode 3 anyways

The plan for the episodes was they'd be shorter development cycles, shorter games, and cheaper. They were shorter games and cheaper but not shorter development cycles really. So they gave up on that.

So what we'd get would be HL3, not HL2E3. But there's so much "hype" expectation for that, and no way for valve to monetize it with crazy microtransactions like TF2, CSGO, DOTA2, etc.

They tried doing micros with portal 2 and it didn't work (of course) so it may be awhile before we see another single player valve game really.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 8, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bloodychill posted:

I wish instead it was another Judge Dredd movie from the Dredd people. That movie was just a lot of fun. The team wanted to make another but last I heard they were having trouble getting funding.

When it first came out I was down on it for basically being The Raid but worse, but in retrospect its a pretty great sci-fi action movie and I'd love to see them do another. Karl Urban nails it as Dredd.

Although I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes the Stallone Judge Dredd movie too. :shobon:

I said come in! posted:

Harrison Ford is in this too, which makes me even more upset because I originally thought he wasn't going to be in this which would have soften the blow. How is Harrison Ford even still alive?

Harrison Ford can basically do anything he wants as far as I care, because he was in so many loving awesome iconic roles, but man is he trying to ruin his legacy lately... needs to just kinda let it go. I'm worried about him being in the new Blade Runner, even in that movie it just seems like he's the same weirdo old-dad Harrison Ford from Star Wars; he's too iconic so you can't look at him as a just a character, he's always Harrison Ford now, and he's not as good as he used to be. Not that I'm holding that against him, but... yeah.

chumbler posted:

It is weird to me that Age of Empires II which technically came out 17 years ago is still getting new expansions, albeit for the HD rerelease. Gotta say I still love the game's art direction, though.

AoE 2 rules and the new expansions are super cool and more people need to post about them. There's an AoE thread and its a loving ghost town :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

VideoGames posted:

My favourite thing about Bladerunner is the cinematography and visuals. Watching it nowadays on Blu-ray it still looks dynamite. That the teaser for the sequel looks as good visually gives me tons of hope!

Yeah Bladerunner and Ghost in the Shell are both almost better as just works of art than they are as like, entertaining movies or plots. There is plot, but its not like... really huge. But the world and the visuals are just so rich and detailed it soaks you in. And both are cyberpunk.

Palpek posted:

A Bladerunner remake could actually ruin it as it would take the original's place in the younger audience's consciousness. A sequel, if it stinks, can be forgotten which was the case with many poor sequels of great movies. Like a few years ago I learned that Chinatown has a sequel, what the hell?

This is where we get into existential questions like, is it better for a kid to only have seen star wars movies 1-3 or is it better for them to have seen no star wars at all? :smith:

There are kids who were confused and don't know who Han Solo was.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Metal warriors was like the best multiplayer game of its time.

I always mix up Metal Warriors and Metal Marines.

Both are good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

1 - Ace Attorney 6: Spirit of Justice
2 - Doom
3 - Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows Darkest Dungeon
4 - X-com 2
5 - Stardew Valley

Uh... I think I can only do a top 5. I played a lot of slightly older games this year.

E: Wait, Plague of Shadows was last year...

Lurdiak posted:

GOTY 2017 will be Chrono Trigger for the 23rd consecutive year.

Lurdiak speaks the truth.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

anybody know anything about the sniper ghost warrior series?

I got a chance to play one of them for free so I decided to take it for science, and it was bad. Real bad.

Nothing like Sniper Elite.

Basically imagine the most linear, scripted FPS possible. Move forward, duck here, snipe this guy, cutscene, move to the next point, turn left, shoot these two guys, etc.

All the shooting was really dumb and mostly pretty close range and didn't even feel like proper sniping. Enemy AI was practically nonexistent. You have very little room to do much of anything. Its like somebody tried to make a stealth game using the Goldeneye 64 engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

yikes.

there's some funny poo poo in V2 too like how the guard's voices when they are alerted and searching for you aren't treated like a sourced sound in the environment but just play at full volume out of both speakers in a stereo setup so you have no idea where the guys are.

Plus you can shoot dudes in the nuts

Shooting Hitler's balls is pretty good for a laugh

• Locked thread