Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Should have just used the estus flask system, other than that it's perfect.

I like BB's story and setting more than the DS games, the Lovecraftian forbidden knowledge thing appeals to me more than straight dark fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is it finally a capacitive screen?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ciaphas posted:

I feel rather guilty that without prompting I can never tell whether this sort of thing is sexist or just stupid

There's a pretty big overlap there

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

plz dont pull out posted:

RE4 is GOAT and also led to Dead Space 1 and 2 and The Last of Us which are pretty great.

Also Gears of War and pretty much the entire modern over-the-shoulder action genre.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
CliffyB specifically cites RE4 as his inspiration for Gears

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

Any fan theory that isn't just "Mads Mikkelsen is a cool techno-necromancer" and that's it is reaching way too goddamn far. But he's definitely a cool techno-necromancer and I'm probably going to be bummed out that I don't get to play as him.

Someone either here or in the Game Awards live thread called him a "tactical necromancer" and I'll be sticking with that until we get an official name.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Had I listened to all the clues in that music game I would have gotten 3 of them, maybe.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why are so many indie games about sad dads now

Or was it always like this and I just never noticed

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Snak posted:

I don't even understand that format of these things. Why is video-game centric media styled like talking head news bullshit. I can't stand to watch poo poo like that. It's like Fox News but about video games. So equally stupid, if less harmful.

It was formatted like an award show for normal media. Which might be appropriate for a widely respected century-old cultural institution like the Oscars, but not for a two-hour video game commercial.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Captain Invictus posted:

Jim Sterling's got a video on the last guardian, he likes a lot about it, but hates some stuff too. That said, his thing on "you can throw the food barrel at trico and sometimes he'll catch it in his mouth and eat it like that and it's really awesome, and other times he'll just sit there and let it hit him in his stupid gormless face" if anything sells me on it even more because that is totally something dogs do. Sometimes they'll have a preternatural ability to snatch something out of midair, and other times they'll just sit there and watch it hit them square in the forehead

Most of the stuff in the footage he posted looks fantastic, too, if I ever got a PS4 I'd probably buy TLG for an atmospheric piece. It looks wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZh_51AdYBo&hd=1

The last 30 seconds of this video is the worst. Like, don't buy this game the worst. It's supposed to be an epic moment of triumph and the game not only completely whiffs it but whiffs it in a manner that probably set him back a good ways (I don't know how checkpoints work in TLG). It makes both the characters and designers look like idiots and it's the sort of bullshit that just isn't tolerated in games any more so it's also a great example of "feeling old". Sure, cutscenes and prescripted sequences suck, but they also have a 100% success rate.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

For some reason I remember Agro acting stubborn on the way to the bosses, but when it was serious time and colossi like Dirge were on your rear end she put on her A-Game.

Agro was smart enough to object to being driven towards obstacles, which would conflict with players whose idea of "towards" was more flexible.

Whereas that TLG video is like steering Agro towards one path and he decides to randomly take the other, and the other is straight off a cliff.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

In Training posted:

The last 30 seconds is him missing a jump

In a really dumb and avoidable way that shouldn't be allowed to happen. The beast is supposed to take the initiative and catch him after the player surrenders control, you can tell it was trying to but it does it wrong so he dies.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 5, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also $50 is ridiculous for a remaster of a game that was a minor cult hit at best.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'll bite. Let's start with what could be considered core tenets of a "Souls" like system.

Third-person action RPG
Checkpoint system but no lives
Death results in currency being placed where you died to be collected before the next death
Stamina for running, jumping, and attacks
Scarcity of health and healing items emphasizes defense and evasion in combat

Those are just some "off the dome"

We can also look at games that have been called "Soulslike" to see what they have in common. Things like Salt & Sanctuary, Lords of the Fallen, and Nioh.

Add to that that real progress is measured in collection of inventory and unlocking parts of the environment.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lobok posted:

Did we ever figure out a term for the Arkham series' combat? Is it "free-flow" or is that not widely understood enough with saying mentioning Arkham in the same sentence?

IIRC "freeflow" is what the devs themselves call the Arkham combat system.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'm not very far in The Last Guardian at all right now, but so far it's everything I wanted it to be (with the exception of triangle being the jump button for god knows what reason).

Triangle is jump because X is descend. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phantasium posted:

*gets in car to go get Last Guardian*

*car won't start*

The curse continues for me.

Keep turning the key a few more times, then ignore the car for a few minutes and it'll start itself.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I only played the early access version of Sunless Sea and didn't get very far, but I think it's been toned down a good bit since then.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't care what he does on Twitter or wherever but he was an idiot to price his VR game 2-3x what it's worth.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lurdiak posted:

How is this jaggedy and blurry at the same time?

lovely jpg of a lovely scan/photo of the original?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Looper posted:

What is wrong with Battleborn? I don't know anything about this apparent debacle

I don't know anything about its actual quality but it was released with bad timing by a company some people have held grudges against for years, so the gloating will never stop.

Phantasium posted:

Worked for Evolve.

Didn't, actually, Evolve is dead in the water now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Anyone know of any games that have a base building aspect, but not as the core aspect of the game? It doesn't have to be particularly deep. Could be something like the Suikoden series, or Fallout 4.

No Man's Sky

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It annoyed me that sprinting doesn't make you jump farther in TR, that's how literally every other game works.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Oh, in ROTTR there's a popup that says explicitly that sprinting does not make you jump farther. I kept doing it out of habit anyway.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't that game just a straight line.

Yeah, but it's a straight line through very wide areas that constantly break out in collectibles as you walk around and unlock things. Also each area has a couple of things you can't do with the gear you have on the first visit, to wring a few more hours out of backtracking or postgame.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hey, if no one in the know will buy that poo poo even if it's on sale, may as well hold out for the one remaining person uninformed enough to pay full price.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IIRC there's an MGS5 mission where you can pop the guy with a sniper rifle from three hundred yards out and it doesn't even raise an alarm.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Quick Agent 47- blend with that random tightly-packed group of bald investment bankers before you're discovered!

I remember in AC2 they introduced this sort of "crowd stealth" mechanic where you could sort of hop between moving groups of people and it would be harder to notice you but it was kinda limited. Would be neat if that was expanded upon a little more.

It was present in AC1 too, in an unrefined form (just like everything in AC1). You could only join certain crowds and they would only move on fixed routes, they were like little streetcars that took you past guard posts and into secure areas. In AC2 they changed it so you could join any group of more than 3 or so people, and those groups could form or dissolve at random as the NPCs wandered around, so you had to hop between them to stay stealthy and keep going in the same direction.

Never got an explanation as to why your ridiculous assassin outfits didn't stand out, though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Should have just called them supercastles

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Scuapsetrlmeevtarnoiiad. Just rolls off the tongue

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The DLC is really, really good. I highly recommend picking it up at some point.

To be clear, Dunwich City Trials is not good, Knife of Dunwall/Brigmore Witches is extremely good and worth getting.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Palpek posted:

So is The Last Guardian good or not?

I'm having much fewer issues with Trico than videos led me to believe. Once you get used to the fact that Trico's size makes it take a long time to do anything and get a feel for when he's in a receptive idle state commands get more reliable, I don't think I've spent more than 30 seconds trying to get him to do something. And it's full of really clever, consistently inventive touches. I only just now, most of the way through, discovered that you can kill guards by pulling their helmets off when they're knocked to the ground. My favorite puzzle solution so far has been commanding Trico to dive into a pool so I can use the wave he generates to rise to a ledge that's just out of reach.

There's still a ton of jank, though. The framerate plummets whenever a lot of action is happening. The camera can get stuck in corners and behind walls in ways everyone else has figured out how to prevent now. Things are turned over to the physics simulation that probably shouldn't be; it's annoying when the boy fails to step over a piece of debris because one of his feet landed wrong and slid off or how boxes rotate when you push them off-center and force you to reorient. And there's no reason for the long limping animation after a bad fall, it's a stupid penalty considering how often it's the game's own fault you missed a jump.

It's an old-school sort of game that rewards patience and persistence and won't give you anything for free, so yeah, it's very much like training an animal in real life.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 11, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

plz dont pull out posted:

Help I'm Alive, you gotta Live it Out and try pizza. Only some sort of Sick Muse would go through their life without it.

What should Help I'm Alive's first pizza be?

Raw sugar

:barf:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

Does the rest of the world have Hawaiian pizza (pineapple and cooked ham) or is it just a Canadian thing? That's my suspicion

I see it all the time, it's great

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cavelcade posted:

Also I wasn't aware of many video game controversies this year. They seemed to blow over really quickly.

No one wants to post anything controversial because a swarm of locusts will destroy your site and the twitter accounts of all your staff.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*pours out a forty for Star Wars 1313*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

In Training posted:

More games should have the rondo of blood mechanic where you can spend in game currency to unlock super plays of bosses in case you get stuck on them and just want to progress.

Didn't Nintendo patent this a few years ago? If my memory is right, that would be why no one ever does it.

Mak0rz posted:

Which game is it that unlocks easy mode if you die too much? Devil May Cry?

This is pretty common, the God of War games do it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Souls games tend to be full of tiny subtle cumulative stat changes- world tendency, humanity, insight all affect you and could build to the point that they change the number of hits an enemy takes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Does the X-Wing VR mission for Battlefront count as a "new" star wars game? Because it's pretty great.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dead Space 2 is a very good game, it expands on the original in all the right ways. Comparing it to Aliens is very accurate and the devs themselves said as much at the time.

Harrow posted:

I always liked how Dead Space made your health meter part of the main character's suit. It never seemed like a particularly useful place for it to be for Isaac, but as the player, it's pretty neat.

I care way too much about nice-looking health meters in video games, I think. I don't know why. More than any other part of the UI, I want to see a nice, readable, aesthetically-pleasing health meter. I fully acknowledge that this is probably a weird fixation.

It was also neat how it was present (and accurate) on the other characters.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

glam rock hamhock posted:

Illbleed is probably the best game ever made that also happens to be almost unplayably bad

Deadly Premonition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There was a zombie game not too long ago (ZombiU?) where if you got killed, you respawned as a new character and could go find your old character who was now a zombie and fight them for your stuff.

• Locked thread