Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Axegrinder posted:

Just posting here at the end to say I love you all, and this thread has been the most entertaining and educational spot on the forums for many years!

All the same, I crave.. closure...

What a dork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Agony Aunt posted:

:five:

I'm beginning to think this thread will never be closed. It was probably all a scam to get more people posting. I guess beet gets paid by the number of posts.

Where is the funding tracker eh?

We demand open thread development!

This is open thread development. There is no thread like it in the world.
The fidelity that we will see in this thread will be better than any other thread out there.
In fact the whole of Facebook could fit into this thread.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
BDTCE

Best drat Thread Closing Ever

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I can't wait to see what amazing things we discover and share when we refactor into thread v2. Thanks for the good times!

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Hello thread, since several posters have been posting their SC-spanning bios, I thought I'd share a bit of my own recent life story. About a month ago, I had an adverse reaction to a psychiatric med I just started taking, and essentially had a massive, daylong series of panic attacks. After that calmed down, I developed a host of PTSD-style symptoms (basically PTSD, but they don't call it that unless it's been a while). So for the past four weeks I've been dealing with wild mood swings, severe bouts of anxiety and depression, dissociation, hypersensitivity, and some other fun stuff. Progress is also extremely uneven, meaning that I'll have a good day, followed by a couple of crummy ones. And on it's gone. But I'm finally starting to come out of it. The last few days have brought a lot of hope and positivity.

Throughout it all, though, this thread has been a lifeline of laughs. I've been too out of it to post myself, but needless to say you lot have helped get me through this. So as the curtain falls, I say thank you, and look forward to the same insanity in the next thread.

Two and a half weeks ago after sharp chest pains got rushed to hospital they thought I had clot in my lung pulmanery embolism (super bad). I work away from home so I was lying in hospital alone, getting rushed around while they frantically try to stop me from dying pretty scary stuff. Turns out I had an infection around my heart bad but I'm not dying and I have been slowly recovering ever since.

I remember thinking at the time oh my god im going to be one those people who dies waiting for star citizen to come out ! Even worse that is such a sad thought to have right now...

But then I love star citizen, this thread, how obviously hopeless the project has become, I enjoy being surprised at how the undead monster shambles along year after year... The daily lurk cheers me up, makes me laugh, I certainly feel more postative about my own projects.

I don't know where I'm going with this other than I can relate in some way.. Hope you get well soon, losing an important part of your health sucks, remember to laugh where you can, even at other people's expense.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/1bGF9YR.gifv

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Down with Beet!

Up with crisp sandiwiches!

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

trucutru posted:

This dude:

Toast

Is this the first time Chris was pictured in a shirt that isn't black?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

Yeah but that was the early days of shirt development.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
And he looks like even more of a washed out thumb than he did before.

(My god, that shirt looks so unflattering, its amazing.)

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
DigitalPenny and AquaSeafoamShame, sorry about your respective medical misadventures! Wishing you each continued improvement and all that.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

Shirt? I've never seen pics of crobo in a shirt.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah but that was the early days of shirt development.

Wait what? You meant that happened how long ago?

Its always early days for Star Citizen.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

GoingPostal posted:

And he looks like even more of a washed out thumb than he did before.

(My god, that shirt looks so unflattering, its amazing.)

That backer money he spent on a personal stylist was put to good use. 'just wear black tubby.'

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

no_recall posted:

Wait what? You meant that happened how long ago?

Its always early days for Star Citizen.

Ben is there in the picture so yeah that picture was taken a while ago.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
Following this video game like this is so mentally weird. One of the worst threads in all of sa. Ever

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The 5 years thing is great, but also they get asked about how missiles and mines are interesting in combat

"missiles are either too powerful or useless, how do you think the game could handle that?"

"balance... but its a problem."

Lmao, the answer is just "Balance!" :shrug:

Then Shiver goes on about how "that's the trope with missiles and mines in games, you need balance of chaff and flares, you need to be able to go into an asteroid belt and the missile is not prepared to turn as much as you--SOMETHING FUN AND INTERESTING NOT JUST PUSH BUTTON, CHAFF!"

"Yeah.... there needs to be a possibility that the chaff doesn't work"

Lmao these clowns. First, they have no idea what they're even on about. But second, thinking CIG can implement any of this at all.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

I get uh very annoyed when people ask uh “where is the new thread”, “has the old one been closed yet?”. The truth is uh that the new thread has always been here.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Hello commandos, I first learned about this shitshow when kickstarter was still running, and I though I would support it, because I though it would be cool to have high budget space pewpew like Tie Fighter or Freespace. So I went to their webpage to learn more about who is even developing this, but I only got more confused. There were CIG and RSI, but RSI was also an in game company and webpage was named after in game company? After my brain finally was able to comprehend that kickstarted game has already 2 companies behind it, and one of them is also a in game company (bonus points if it is named after you), I noped out of there. That's my story...

Also I'm still amazed that CI~G persuaded backers that "render to texture" is some "tech" that needs to be developed. I mean even WebGL supports it - in browser - on your phone... I think this is their greatest achievement to this day :downs:

danmckechnie
Oct 12, 2010

obsessive compulsive, relentless, insulting;
offensive like feeding a vegan some dolphin.
Guys and gals it's been a hell of a ride. Long time thread lurker just wanting to say thanks for all the laughs to the regular posters. The recipes were good too

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

This thread being closed by the mods is actually committing non consensual PvP on me and I feel an intense amount of grief. As a matter of fact it triples every second.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Sandweed posted:

This thread being closed by the mods is actually committing non consensual PvP on me and I feel an intense amount of grief. As a matter of fact it triples every second.

We need a thread close meter.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

kilus aof posted:

We need a thread close meter.

it's close

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandweed posted:

Well actually, it’s fully-fledged PVP.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Zaphod42 posted:

The 5 years thing is great, but also they get asked about how missiles and mines are interesting in combat

"missiles are either too powerful or useless, how do you think the game could handle that?"

"balance... but its a problem."

Lmao, the answer is just "Balance!" :shrug:

Then Shiver goes on about how "that's the trope with missiles and mines in games, you need balance of chaff and flares, you need to be able to go into an asteroid belt and the missile is not prepared to turn as much as you--SOMETHING FUN AND INTERESTING NOT JUST PUSH BUTTON, CHAFF!"

"Yeah.... there needs to be a possibility that the chaff doesn't work"

Lmao these clowns. First, they have no idea what they're even on about. But second, thinking CIG can implement any of this at all.

I tried arguing a few game design issues like this. I got that answer from the commandos as well. You can just Balance it.

Star Citizen will have the most balance fidelity of any game, i'm sure.

There is a recent reddit thread with a gif showing off a Constellation being one shot by a size 9 torpedo. One hit. The citterati were agog with enthusiasm at how great it was that torpedo bombers will just murder everything. It is a peculiar mental block that they cannot imagine it happening to them instead of happening to their opponents. Another case of the typical starwhale being more invested in the dream than a working game, I think.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 6, 2019

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I tried arguing a few game design issues like this. I got that answer from the commandos as well. You can just Balance it.

Star Citizen will have the most balance fidelity of any game, i'm sure.

There is a recent reddit thread with a gif showing off a Constellation being one shot by a size 9 torpedo. One hit. The citterati were agog with enthusiasm at how great it was that torpedo bombers will just murder everything. It is a peculiar mental block that they cannot imagine it happening to them instead of happening to their opponents. Another case of the typical starwhale being more invested in the dream than a working game, I think.

Yeah, but the torpedo bomber can only carry 2 torpedoes and you need 30 commandos to reload. Also, torpedoes cost real $$$ to refill. Balance

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
V2 of this thread needs transparent clipart in the OP. Like all the crobbears and that Ryan Archer signature but higher res. By this I mean that Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is great and I wish I knew how to use Photoshop.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Mailer posted:

V2 of this thread needs transparent clipart in the OP. Like all the crobbears and that Ryan Archer signature but higher res. By this I mean that Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is great and I wish I knew how to use Photoshop.

Photoshop is just a higher fidelity mspaint.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Who here remembers B'tak?

He's still on my list of priority targets should this thing ever turn into a game. Fortunately for B'tak, it won't.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Be patient you entitled brats, the new thread will be available in two weeks when they are done refactoring it.

My favorite posters in this thread are Sarsapariller for the hilarious trip reports (we should have a "citizens react" to his posts seriously), Thoatse for the cute animals and Beet for the crobear probe and Kayak updates. There, I said it. :3:

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Scruffpuff posted:

Star Citizen was coming along until about 2014. Something happened with Chris and he went all the way off the rails, they lost actual game developers,
I think that was the ELE, the point where they stopped working on a game.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Star Citizen will come out before this thread closes.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MedicineHut posted:

I get uh very annoyed when people ask uh “where is the new thread”, “has the old one been closed yet?”. The truth is uh that the new thread has always been here.

The old SC thread
was just a simple testbed
for our shitposting

Btw, I would suggest that the new thread's OP should include the "Chris Roberts plays Star Citizen" video, just to help new readers from the Games forum see what's going on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They can’t ban us all

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Michaellaneous posted:

Star Citizen will come out before this thread closes.

Some of us will graduate college and start families.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Posting here feels like I’m a loving squatter again chugging Bailey’s straight from the bottle

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I demand the AMD letter before I will let this thread be closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sandweed posted:

I demand the AMD letter before I will let this thread be closed.

It's been posted ages ago, just PM this guy for it.