Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TacticalNecromancy posted:

The Spaceofoils provide Space Downforce, which provides better grip on the Higgs Field, which improves space cornering. Obviously.

It's a team race where your team mate has to fly upside down and below you at all times to keep you in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Decrepus posted:

When did I say any of this lol.

He's trolling.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TacticalNecromancy posted:

That actually sounds like a somewhat fun idea if done correctly and therefore can't be correct. I like the sound of it, but it's not quite :science: enough

Yeah, well, lol at the idea of CIG creating a physics model that involves ships being in contact with each other without instantly exploding. :D

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

starkebn posted:

Big Benny is all they've got

Oh wait, I get it now. Big Benny a joke about Ben being fat, isn't it?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I refuse to play anything that's not a fully immersive VR experience but I don't own a VR headset so I just shout at people on the internet all day.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

if I can't play a game on full settings I get a new graphics card, I am in no way saying this is the right thing to do it is just the way I am :v:

A dangerous habit. If you bought Dishonored 2 you wouldn't have been able to play it on full settings on any card and you'd get stuck in an infinite loop of buying new graphics cards.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

janssendalt posted:

I come to SA for my SC news now

how hosed up is that

hey guys

It is a little. So are you in the angry about the xmas livestream "my wallet is closed" camp, or the "all is perpetually forgiven no matter what" camp these days?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

aleksendr posted:

Thank to the recent industry trend of short first player story mode, a single hour of story for a prelude (if its a good story) is not that bad. Many first player AAA story (TIF2, IW) are now roughly aroung 2.5 hours long.

Although that's true, SQ42 is a single player story driven game where as IW and similar games are multiplayer with a single player campaign as a side dish. If you look at play time with a game like IW, 95% of time spent in game will be spent in multiplayer regardless of how much single player content you include.

Admittedly, it's just a prelude but I guarantee people will feel screwed over with a single hour of story and a bunch of filler because it's so obvious they're watering down their deliverables. It was meant to be that SQ42 was a single player campaign released to set the scene for the PU back in 2014. They've since had two more years to work on it and a poo poo load more funding, but the only visible differences appear to be a bunch of over paid and overblown Hollywood actors and the game itself being stretched out and watered down so much that it's basically transparent.

I mean seriously, at what rate are people meant to be expecting content for this game? 1 hour of story per year starting in 2017?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

aleksendr posted:

If the Crobblers could scale down his vision they could easily do it like Hitman episodes. Release one every quater, 1 hour of story with 3-4 hour of mission. Every new content (ship, zone, profession, ect) debut in the SQ42 game as a kind of tutorial and then goes to PU once the next episode is released. You get to tease the players in the PU with the new ship they just enjoyed in the latest SQ42 mission (Buy now !) and instead of stupid demos and sizzle reels you are actually making usable assets for your game.

Yeah, I mean poo poo if Chris could scale down his vision we could have a drat good space game out by now.

In my mind, there's no doubt that the future of the game is going to come down to which stops first, the funding, or Chris' egotism.

I'm shocked that they've not already scaled back to produce something reasonable, it feels like they're so focused on pushing out new ship designs which require new mechanics they can't stop to realise that they need to be heading in the other direction.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Primarily from old age

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

Holy gently caress, who makes those videos?

Regular forum poster and YouTube celebrity/dancing cat Peter Gabriel is responsible for these works of art. I'm a bit sad we've not seen one on the latest live stream but I guess pgabz is busy doing more festive things.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Blue Cross Blue Balls posted:

So Gillian Anderson is def out of the Chris Roberts 2k16 masterpiece AAA fmv movie SQ42.

Gary Oldman has been rumoured as wanting out of the project too

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Baxta posted:

Long story short, I googled around and found this thread.

Feelin pretty stupid right now.

Welp, absolutely ask them for a refund. There are a lot of people in this thread and over at https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/ that can help you with what you can say if they refuse. Unfortunately it seems like you probably paid your money after they changed the TOS to say you can't get a refund, but there's no way that poo poo will stand up to any consumer protection laws.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Baxta posted:

It's not about the money. I just want to play the stupid spaceship game but I can't see it happening because the more I look into it, the more amazingly stupid this company seems to be.

That FPS thing. Star Marine? Where the gently caress was that in the kickstarter? Why on earth would you suddenly make an FPS when there a million other things that need to be done? Who even asked for Star Marine? Where the gently caress did they gauge demand!?

I'm not mad, i'm just disappointed. :saddowns:

It's not so much about getting your money back, it's about taking money out of the hands of these literal scammers.

Are you familiar with the full list of promised features that this game has? The kickstarter list of features is about as reliable as its Nov 2014 delivery date.

Is there actually a website with a full list of promised SC features? I feel like it's something someone must have put together by this point.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

huh to me thats surprising. i assumed crytek closure offered a perfect sort of confused excuse for why something was delayed. was expecting cig to jump for that

Insiders say they've bought the cryengine source code so they don't need crytek - plus they've mutilated the engine so hard I'm not sure they even could get help on it from them if they tried.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

XK posted:

Happy to see the thread Derek linked to on anandtech (https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/is-derek-smart-right.2493837/) has reverted to "the door is a garage opener and scrap wood" argument, plus "you can't prove they implicitly supported gray market sales", and "you can't prove the demos were faked". Jst0rm is over there laying it down, though.

Jst0rm is a loving class act in that thread. Can tell he's reading this one too, so keep fighting the good fight mate!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

You do know how twitter works right?

No. I have a twitter account and my feed is always blank. I have no way to explain how other people encounter tweets. Also what do all these buttons do I am confused.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Nobody has to explain why they "should be able to" have civil rights. Honestly I don't understand how you could live in a place where the people in power are allowed to have things that are illegal for everyone else.

Do you have access to a fighter jet? Because if your definition of "people in power" is your own military, you presumably live on a desert island with no professional armed forces.

Seriously though, if you're expecting to need to fight for your life against your own military forces, I certainly hope you don't expect them to be firing a bullet at you.

The list of places that let people have firearms for sport and hunting is very long. The list of places with gun fetishism and paranoia to the point where they consider the ability to kill efficiently a "civil right" is very short.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TheLightPurges posted:

Extremely Low T. I expect more from the Star Citizen Thread. If you aren't careful FaceFuckerMan365 will be unleashed on this thread.

What if I'm looking for a good face loving what then eh?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

MeLKoR posted:

Are citizens circumcised in the future? :can:

I think those FYAD chaps already had this discussion earlier in the thread.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

What's your favorite gun?

My "Submit Reply" button.

*fake edit* The edit button is a close second.

*faker edit* u ded

Come on give me a god drat edit timestamp you shitass forum

Chalks fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 21, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

XK posted:

I don't believe I've ever had saffron, but it's on my list of things to try at some point.

I saw a video of people having saffron ice cream, and they seemed to think it was amazing.

I'd love to try it, but it's expensive as gently caress. It's as much, or even a little more expensive than high grade marijuana.

I guarantee the guys who had high grade marijuana ice cream thought it was amazing too

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Tippis posted:

So, doors are controlled client-side and the animations are culled in such a way that they don't run through their movements properly, apparently…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdXt2PHcOyo

That this bug could even exist is an achievement in ignorance on CIG's part.

Holy poo poo that is art

*edit* I would add a tax but that video is already beautiful enough.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

To be clear, the doors in an MMO that supports piracy as a mechanic are client side and are affected by whether or not you're looking at them when they open and close.

To say that this game has not been thought through is an understatement. It's like someone's gone through the project and intentionally made the wrong decision at every turn.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I just.. what, how?

That video is what happens when people try to touch the smoke and mirrors

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TheAgent posted:

the thing is, they can't. everything, everything about this patch is a broken mess. I hope they take it one step further and slam it into the PU as is

I thought the PU was also completely hosed when they deployed this build too? So they might as well if neither of them work anyway :D

The most depressing thing any of the Crytek employees have read this year.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

AP posted:

Jump to 32 minutes in and watch the guy who spent over $42k on Star Citizen, playing Star Marine.

https://beam.pro/Clifford_aka_Miku?vod=674543

I said depressing not hilarious

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ArfJason posted:

So what youre telling me is that you have a twitter and you use it for the express purpose of following a bunch people you literally hate and read all their tweets because they make/like the bad videogame?
In what way is this any better?

No, like I said, it's blank. Like, totally blank.

Look, I know how this poo poo works, I've been looking at this entirely blank screen for literally days and it's blank as hell.

I'm basically an expert on twitter at this point and I know for a fact that it doesn't constantly pop up with random poo poo from people you aren't following just because they think you "might be interested in" due to someone you follow also following an account that liked a tweet. No sir, not even once. This is a thing I have never seen.

You seem to be treating me like some sort of moron who has no idea how twitter works. That's a lie. Twitter doesn't have any "suggested" tweets or anything like that. Any suggestion to the contrary is completely false. And don't even get me started on retweets! That's not even a word let alone a thing that would cause something to appear on your feed!! Hahahahaha, what nonsense.

I mean what sort of dumbass would accuse people of using twitter in the "wrong way" when they've clearly got no idea how it works in the first place?

Certainly not I.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 21, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ArfJason posted:

So what youre trying to say in the most gbs way possible is that you have searched out such a volume of tweets about the people and videogame you hate that you trained the algorithm behind twitter to suggest you more?
This is even worse

Wait a good drat second, this screen isn't even turned on! It seems that I was wrong all along! Twitter does indeed include messages from people, even those I am not following!

In fact, looking down my Twitter feed for the last month the only mentions of star citizen are retweeted by one Richard "lowtax" kyanka, who seems to run some sort of internet comedy website.

My god, I certainly regret making all those retarded comments about Twitter now that I realise I have literally no idea how it works. I sure do feel like a bit of a twat. Let's hope I don't compound this mistake by incorrectly accusing someone of reposting poo poo from their feed in this thread, because I seem to be incapable of keeping track of who I am replying to!

Chalks fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 21, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Ayn Marx posted:

Shut the gently caress up

Hey buddy, I've seen the error of my ways already, chill out.

The on button was right there the whole time. Who designs this poo poo anyway.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

After following this thread for some time I have come to the conclusion that it is poo poo and so am I.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Iglocska posted:

Seriously, that graph shows a gross misunderstanding of how git works.

I'm glad someone said this because I keep looking at this graph and I have no idea what it is trying to illustrate. The first image shows LY branching from 3.8 and SC branching from 3.7. The second image shows exactly the same thing, except with the trunk coloured in red for some reason, implying that Cryengine branched from LY instead of the other way around, but in such a way that makes literally no difference to anything.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

AbstractNapper posted:

Parry explained it more on the frontier forums, and then some other guy also offered his understanding of it and Parry seems to have agreed.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4943960&viewfull=1#post4943960

Basically, second image shows the trunk red (but it's the same trunk as the first image) because it is now let's say labeled as LumberYard code, even though it is identical to the CryEngine "trunk" up to the point that LY forks off (3.8.x). (Ben or some other guy call it "LumberYard legacy code" up to the point of the fork off CE 3.8, where LumberYard proper begins). SC remains forked off the previous point (3.7) as it was originally.

No actual merge has occurred.

But they are now in "LumberYard" because Amazon has a license that gives them access to the CryEngine source code "history versions" before 3.8 (3.8 being the point where they forked off from and did their own thing); so basically SC can now say its a fork off LumberYard "legacy code" (ie Cryengine 3.7 as it always were) or has switched to LumberYard (marketing speak mainly).

So literally nothing has changed what so ever? How is anyone even talking about this?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

So Windows XP Media Center edition is branched from Windows XP. This move is basically the same as Microsoft announcing that they've migrated it to "Windows 10 legacy" without changing a single line of code.

How the hell is everyone involved in this so dumb.

Do they have to pay additional licensing fees to Amazon now? lol

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

It's true that as of right now, nothing has really changed. But this also represents a Hail Mary pass from Chris that Amazon can help them slog through their years of failures where the Crytek engineers couldn't. Now with Amazon's experience and success implementing (a different version of) CryEngine LumberYard with their AWS platform, Star Citizen backers can now experience NETWORK and MESH like never before.

You have to think like a visionary if you're going to be able to see things that aren't there.

I have a vision of two futures, one involving nothing changing and another involving massive additional delays, rewrites and extremely expensive consultancy bills.

Visionary indeed.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Did Lumberyard even exist before 3.8?

No, it did not.

Amazon built a house on a hill. CIG built a house on a hill. CIG claims their house is based on Amazon's because at some point in the past, they were in the same state.

The fact that, at that point, neither CIG nor Amazon had done anything at all is apparently a minor detail.

It's stupid and no developer in their right mind would say that Cryengine 3.7 is "Lumberyard Legacy". You might as well say that Crysis 2 was built on Star Citizen legacy code. It's a loving retarded, meaningless thing to say.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

D_Smart posted:

Yes. And technically Star Marine is same as SQ42.

Star Citizen is based on legacy code from failed Korean MMO Aion Online

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I'll have you know failed korean MMO Aion makes more money than just about every western MMO that isnt WoW.

Lets just say failed in the west at least :D

It was an Aion goon who bought me my account on this site many years ago. I can't remember what his name was though, sadly.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cool new Polack jokes posted:

lol

It doesn't show what he's saying it does.

It does. It's just what he's saying it illustrates is completely meaningless.

He's basically saying "This isn't a painting, it's a full history of every brush stroke I made on the canvas". Which is true, but it doesn't change anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Hey guys, I've just found out that CIG have upgraded Crysis 2 to use the Star Citizen legacy engine! It's a big deal I promise.

Here, I drew a picture to illustrate it: