Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Golli posted:

That account has a suspiciously round follower count (500 even).

After checking out who they (the followers) are, I feel like taking a shower.

They're all a bunch of cunts. We could've told you that. :shrug:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/982326403273314304

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
A rare Grand Admiral makes an appearance. The result is hilarious.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/back-to-roots-fix-player-experience-first

My favorite comment is the first one. And 31 (as of this post) members found this tripe worthy of an up-vote:

I should perhaps create a Twitter thread about all the ways that what he wrote above is the usual head-in-sand apologist bullshit. The primary reason that the project is an absolute train wreck.

1) They're never - ever - going to be able to fix performance. Like ever. I recall when 3.1 was just out and the servers were empty, some idiots where making poo poo up on-the-fly that it was somehow faster. It wasn't even 48hrs after it was released, that it dawned on everyone that they didn't fix poo poo. It was just another card in the roadmap - marked as complete - which ended up being a placebo effect on some.

Our respondent is a moron.

What our respondent posted is pure and utter rubbish. Since 2016 CIG has been touting one thing (item 2.0, serialized variables, network bind culling etc) to the next, as they continued to make excuses for performance issues. They literally write about this in various bulletins, while talking about in their shows. I've also written several articles going all the way back to 2016 which laid out clearly why NONE of what they were saying, would make a difference. This proved to be true not only in 3.0, but in 3.1 which they stunned me by somehow releasing something in worse shape than 3.0 before it. Something they created (after trimming it by over 50%) based on their own "schedule".

What these guys don't yet realize is that, as 3.1 has shown, it's only going to get worse as they add more stuff to the game. There is NO way they're making an MMO out of this. No way. It's going to remain a session based game with 64 client max cap that will continue to suffer with bugs and performance issues.

Remember, they still only have these two moons and a planetoid. Imagine what will happen if/when they eventually get all of Stanton (1 system of the 100 promised) built. Hurston is coming in 3.3 and ArcCorp in 3.4. Well, take a look at the map.

2) It's cute that OP is talking about bugs, even as the list continues to grow. From what I can tell, they fix 10 things, and 33 more pop up. That's actually not an exaggeration; I track these things by comparing their bug fixes in the changelog, to the issue council.

It's amazing that the issue of bugs in a 7 yr, $180m+ project that's over THREE YEARS late and has had over 500+ people working on it at some point or another, warrants a flippant response and accompanying rhetoric. While ignoring the fact that in both 3.0 and 3.1, there were more bugs than gameplay features (planetary tech was the only notable thing in 3.0 - and it's a mess). And there are currently 5000+ known & reported bugs in issue council.

3) Like the entry before it, that's a standard bug caused by the fact that the elevator is an entity that's part of the ship model. Unlike the ship, it knows nothing about the world around it, let alone the terrain. Which is why it can go below it, and one hilarious video I shared last week, go up into the sky and out of the ship. Considering that they have had elevator related bugs like this for YEARS, is testament to the fact that these are considered low priority - and it's not like there's an easy fix.

He ignores simple facts above, while poking at the OP saying that "We all know, CIG leaves all the bugs in just to annoy you.". The people who tend to write things like that, are those who can't come up with reasonable counter or explanation.

4) The "flight" model has been broken for years. Each time they try to "fix" it, they somehow manage to make it worse. It doesn't have as much to do with being an fps engine, as it does it being about physics. It has to do with math and knowledge of flight dynamics, as well as parameters for each ship. They don't appear to have anyone who knows wtf they are doing with this. I have written so many flight models in my time, that I pretty much know that it's not simple and it takes LOTS of iterations to get it just "right" for the type of game.

Ignoring all this, our respondent comes up with arbitrary numbers which he pulled right out of his rear end - with zero context - while not even addressing what the OP was talking about the flight engine being poo poo. Yeah, because replacing an engine or making changes, somehow explains a flight model that's been poo poo for years now.

5) It's interesting that OP talks about "experience", ignoring the fact that it's a pre-alpha build of a tech demo proof-of-concept. Nothing is supposed to actually work at this point. So it's no surprise that something as simple as carting boxes of rubber dog poo poo from A to B, is fraught with issues. The issues are not related to the missions. They are related to the fact that engine which the missions and experience rely upon, is badly broken.

Yes, it's pre-Alpha, but that's not the point anyone is making at this point. And those who keep harping that bullshit, are using it as excuse. As I mentioned in one of my Tweets, at this rate, and considering everything they have yet to do - assuming they don't keep cutting things - this project has another +7 years to go. Which means that it's pretty much dead.

Our respondent is a moron. But you already knew that.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

orcane posted:

Is there a blog where I could read about that, Dr. Smart?

Yeah, I pulled parts of that into Star Citizen - State Of The Farce which I wrote over the weekend and published earlier this morning. :allears:

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Yeah, that Kazan fellow is Derek LASTNAME (he's on LinkedIn) btw. He's a moron. Which means Shitizen candidate. I blocked him on Twitter back in 2015.

https://twitter.com/Denidil/status/651088364062375936

No, I'm not Derek LASTNAME

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Warhawk109 posted:

Anything interesting happen in the past 800 pages or so? I’m having too much sex to keep up with the thread.

Your hands should be worn and tired by now if that's case.

----------------