Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

intardnation posted:

elite is ok but not beginner friendly in VR due to all the keybindings. you really need a hotas for it in order for it to feel right. I also run a g13 and condensing it is brutal.

Late post, but you could also try something like voice attack and use that for any commands that are not time critical. Landing gear, supercruise and so on. I only use a Logitech joystick for the flying, combat and menus, the rest can easily be voice controlled if you have a half decent headset and maybe 30-40 minutes to set it up once. Haven't tried VR, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ramadu posted:

Wouldn't that be, especially if there are multiple decks, the biggest world outside of maybe wow ever in a game?

Probably nowhere near it, really

http://www.hexapolis.com/2014/11/05/10-biggest-open-world-video-games-terms-map-size/

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

hello, some of this is prob rehashed

• 2017 is now looking like the last full operational year for CIG (*from the perspective of 2 people who recently left)
  • several office/staff moves (including the Brno move, disco lando, ben, etc) are still planned
  • roberts joked at one point "the cheap labor must flow"
  • the "must deliver" deadline is still march/q1 of 2017 for the sqlude
  • might be much less than what was planned to be released (think less than an hour of story content, highly repetitive missions to pad playtime, grind, etc)
  • sqlude will include the new footage shot earlier this year of hamill
  • direction/management are being shuffled around, some people with no experience are now in charge of dozens of employees
  • several employees and execs are now gone, including cashing out on promised bonuses or other monies when they left
  • motion capture problems include missing payments to studios where work was done (backend, most likely)
  • "If [we] didn't have money in the tank for refunds, delay. Delay, delay, delay. Promise, then delay. That was standard, yes."
  • had to cut one or several major characters from SQ42
  • additional mocap is required "to have the story make any sense" thanks to "constant" changes to the script
  • entire maps, levels, mocap, VA, music and SFX have been thrown out, reworked and thrown out again
  • what was promised for 2.6, especially networking, won't be in until late Jan/Feb 2017 at the earliest (maybe midyear)
  • 3.0 networking is a massive, complete mess and won't be anywhere ready for 2017
  • "They are walking the design back on a massive scale. Try and get a refund."
  • ^^ moma that one is for you because the guy who said it, lol, just lol
  • crunch time has continued now for over six months, some people over a year
if you're in this project for anything over $40, get a refund. get a refund like now. after 2.6 releases to the PU you're going to have a hard drat time getting anything back unless you pledged for the SQ42 package only

Fascinating.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Project sketch:

I like digital synthesizers and want to make my ownish design. This arduino-compatible has some interesting features and has the capabilities needed for some pretty cool processing:

However, I also want to be able to turn knobs and push buttons and stuff to adjust the sound. Making a functional keyboard from tactile switches is absolutely possible but I've thought of a dumber solution: buy one of these cheap chinese toy keyboards and mod the keys into input:

$1.50:

$5:

$10:

Now that's so cheap it almost feels stupid. I've bought one of each of these little plastic miracles, will let you know how it works out

This looks like an interesting idea. Good luck!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

EightAce posted:

Tribute to the exciting new lumber yard news

I'm a lumberhack and I'm OK
I snort all night and I lie all day
(He's a lumberhack and he's OK
He snorts all night and he lies all day)
I  bullshit whales, I wave my hands
I never play my game
On Fridays I'm on you tube
And it's always just the same
(He bullshits whales..)
(He's a lumberhack...)
I wear a wig , I've had Botox
I've hired a private chef
I cry myself to sleep each night
Cos Derek smart was right
(He bullshits whales...)
(He's a lumberhack...)
I promise dreams , I beg and plead
And none of you ask me why
There's someone at my space door
It's the loving fbi ......

(He bullshits whales..)
(He's a lumberhack..)

:golfclap:
Always room for some Python references

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Gosh darn it, one of these days tabloids will just leave me alone! Until then though, it's "oh so and so went down with her too" and so on and so on! I know guys, it's not easy being the talk of the town, but I'm confident once I get to New York City everything will be different.

If I can make it there, I can make it anywhere! :3:

Your gimmick amuses me :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Erenthal posted:

No you see CIG already told us that the operating costs of the big most powerful ships will be so massive when it comes to fuel, ammo, crew, rations and so on that players will only use these ships when absolutely necessary and then only when in huge organisations.

Even if Star Citizen came out (it won't), it would be hilarious to see all those whales with their giant ships that they could not use because they could not scrape together the resources to afford the costs.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Guys I know this is the place to talk about the greatest game ever made or to be made, but have you tried Speed Runners? It's probably even slightly better than Star Citizen, if you can believe it.

Also did they really just switch engines? loving lol, where do I pledge money for imaginary spaceships?

Speedrunners is quite good, not to mention an actual game that works.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

As a pasty white girl who is more vampire than human due to a lack of sunlight exposure, I say it lovingly and with care. It is ok friend, I am not exactly the great outdoors' best friend here to shame anybody. :shobon:

We can hardly blame you. Can't be that much sunlight down by the ocean floor.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AlbieQuirky posted:

I'm shocked---shocked!---to find out that scambling is going on here.

Was that a Spock vs Q reference?

Edit: Catte tax

Bofast fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 30, 2016

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sappo569 posted:

Ben offering to help someone move :lol:

And a WC Kickstarter, is someone selling more trash ? Wrf

Maybe it's about fundraising for the invention of a more comfortable Water Closet for "large" people like Ben?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kosumo posted:

You are Derek Smart; What would you do?

You are driving down I95 highway in your Tesla when you round a corner to find a truck that was moving old tires as roll over and the tires have all caught on fire.

Do you -

A - Get out of your car and proceed to doxx the driver, the drivers family, the drivers family's dog and the dog that that dog plays with in the park.

B - Send out a tweet about now this tyre fire will never work and it's impossible.

C - Proceed to get out and approach that fire with your fire extinguisher but stop and tell everyone you can't yet use it until you have heard back from legal .

D - Let it fucken finish.

E - Don't order pizza.

F - Yell "This is 100% garrantied to end in legal action"

G - Hop out of your car but as one of the many alts you use and then tell everyone how right Derek is.

H - Compare the tyre fire unfavorable to Line of Defence

I - Start a Warband.

J - Refure anyone that will listen, that this was all already in your July Blog post.

K - Don't care about it at all cos it has nothing to do with Star Citizen and Chris Roberts.

L - Have your Tesla transform in to a Derekbot and destroy the fire with long winded 'points' and 'logic'.

This 'You are Derek Smart; What would you do?' Is made possible by your catte tax. Always pay your catte tax - helping make the BDDSSE.

Thank you.

This is brilliant :allears:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

hanales posted:

Maybe :thejoke: but it's a reference to Casablanca.

Oh. I should watch that someday.
I can only assume that they were making a Casablanca reference here, as well, then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kTlGmmU4ao&t=109s

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DapperDon posted:

My best friend passed away Christmas eve. Went to the open casket service last nite. 2016 has been a monster. I haven't slept or eaten right in days. Glad to have this place and you guys to get my mind off of things. :negative:.

My condolences

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

The multiplayer in Goldeneye was developed by two people in six weeks. This made the Perfect Dark team's mission to make the multiplayer a lot better than Goldeneye a lot easier than anyone expected...

According to one of the devs, 8 out of the 10 people who worked on GoldenEye had never even made a professional game before. They still made something way more fun than anything Croberts has accomplished so far with 300-ish people and $140 million.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

Yeah, IIRC the only folks on the team who had previously shipped a game were the audio guys. It was basically a case of lightning striking.

If I'm not mistaken, the team lead was second programmer on one previous title at Rare just before that. Don't recall which job the other one with experience had.
There's a cool interview with the team lead here https://web.archive.org/web/20110718160021/http://www.zoonami.com/briefing/2004-09-02.php

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sunswipe posted:

Am I interpreting this right? They're playing some sort of DnD game (two of them in shirt, tie and waistcoat. We can only be thankful they at least took their fedoras off) and the people watching can pay real money to "help" them? Because that's pretty loving amazing. Paying so that other people can get imaginary objects. It's Star Citizen taken to the nth degree.

From the few DnD streams with this option that I've seen, the money usually goes to charities like Child's Play or various children's hospitals. If this goes to the streamers themselves (no idea if that's the case here), then I would consider it pretty dumb.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Lazy fuckers, only willing to work the maximum number of hours they can legally be compelled to

Are these stupid assholes worried about their widdle health or spending time with their iddy-biddy famiwies?

This makes me so loving mad.

If you're going to be mad at people being idiots on the Internet, you're probably going to be mad most of your life.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

his nibs posted:

I still find it amazing that after 4 years development CiG haven't nailed down the flight model on a spaceship game

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

I wonder how they reconcile that notion with the fact that “tactical” FPSes (anything from Rainbow 6 to ARMA) tend to have one-hit-kills for almost every weapon available, if employed correctly…

One of the streamers was testing this recently (because of the whole shooting through the walls thing) and headshots do seem to be 1-hit kills. My guess is it's just horrible network and/or hit detection issues messing that up in actual matches

edit: cattes

Bofast fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 7, 2017

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

*flails hands wildly*

I believe you may have contracted Croberts' Syndrome. The only known cure is to post more Kayak pictures :eng101:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Hello, thank you for coming, we are The Auditors and this is a song we wrote called "the tickler in black" take it away boys.....soft jazz and experimental dancing ensues

:five:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DapperDon posted:

gently caress it. I am finally going to ask after all these years. What is WH40K about?

I think this about sums it up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MeVxKZBOfM

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
A new Tie Fighter or X-Wing space sim would be hilarious, if only because it would further put pressure on Roberts and his non-progress.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

nawledgelambo posted:

alas, we cannot, as star citizen has transcended the Windows OS into its own, called Robertsware

Is Robertsware really just a reskinned ripoff of Microsoft Bob?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Everytime I see a refund, it makes me happy someone saved their money from being wasted :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Pfft, move aside goonie, let me show you how :smuggo: is done

:golfclap:
Well played, goon friend

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

Wasn't there a rumour about them selling a $3k ship this month?

Not a rumour I believed but they have to sell something new soon.

Perhaps CIG are renting out Ben to furniture companies so said companies can test how much it takes to break their sofas and such?
If Roberts saw someone play Normality back in -96, that would be very Croberts like of him to steal the idea.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

:same: except Titanfall 2 and I can't decide what color to dye my hair

Octarine, as a nice Pratchett tribute?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I find it ironic that the site includes how many "strokes" the various Kanji require, considering the subject matter.

Beet Wagon posted:

Her band is some shiny metal inlaid with kona wood harvested from naturally fallen trees because she's a big dumb hippie, and mine is tungsten with sharks printed on it (and she even got the guy to print my favorite kind of shark instead of the great white he normally prints on there) because I'm a big dumb idiot who loves poking dangerous animals. They were super cheap which is great because neither of us will feel that bad when we ultimately lose/break them. Similarly, the wedding itself is gonna be super low key because holy poo poo I do not understand how people spend that much time (and money!!) on one night, and also because I don't want my family anywhere near it. Just gonna go down to the keys for a weekend and relax.

Oh and also I got her four Starfarers.

Congrats, Beet!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Read his post again dude, she got the Starfarers

Well, he can borrow her Starfarers while making her feel like it's her gain, so win-win for Beet :smuggo:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Xaerael posted:

Pretty much just Pilot/gunner/snub fighter. They said "we just want to get these roles working and in the game, other roles may come later". So anyone with dreams of being Forward Toilet Scrubber First Class will have to wait.

Let's call it "doing the Wilco", in honor of past Sierra glories.

alf_pogs posted:

if i wanted to watch rape i'd just get hbo

:iceburn:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mangoose posted:

I'll not have the Wilco name soiled by being associated with this train wreck, thank you very much.

E: Call it "doing the Sandy" in honor of her past career

I was thinking of Elite, not money sink simulator 2014 2015 2016 2017

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I see a lot of mentions of Auditors in there. Might they be mainly Germans and is Karl one of them?

Wiz posted:

Too busy adding in the ability to genemod species to taste better and then nerve stapling them so they don't mind being eaten.

I'll put it in the backlog right after the space toilets.

Thanks to you and your team for making a game that is cool and good, even if I have spent more time on it than I should o7

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

:eyepop:

Reminds me of the old Tacoma Narrows Bridge (there is a short video clip on the Wikipedia page)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacoma_Narrows_Bridge_(1940)

SelenicMartian posted:

What if all performance improvements open to CIG at this point are disabling proper error handling?

They have error handling now?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

aleksendr posted:

Love the thousand hours in elite while saying its a bad game. FFS i dont even have that many free hours to play in a year. Paid shill detected.

I've "only" managed about 700 hours of Rocket League since it came out and that was with my being unemployed for 6 months or so shortly after its release. Would have been way less otherwise.
1100 hours in Elite and then not recommending it is just :rolleyes:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

It's a pity no one knows Stars!. It's the spiritual successor to VGA Planets and the graphics are rudimentary but I SWEAR TO GOD it's the best 4X game ever. I played that poo poo an unhealthy number of hours. You can fully customize your race to take wildly different approaches and gameplay styles, use mass drivers to send EVE sized asteroids to your enemy's planets, lay minefields, and a number of crazy poo poo you can't do in any other game. Since you can automate pretty much everything so if you go for a huge galaxy the whole thing devolves into an insane scale slaughter with dozens of battle fronts and a war economy that resembles WH40K. While you strip mine everything and send resources to foundry planets near the front your inner core becomes a factory of cannon fodder to fight in the massive invasions against whatever hosed up races inhabit the targets at the moment.

It's been over a decade since I last played it but if you get over the graphics there is genuine 4X gold in there.

e: I loving loved minefields, usually picked "extra mines" as a perk. planet killer sized asteroids are a valid strategy that is much harder to fight against but it's incredibly expensive to essentially make an asteroid out of rare metals.

e2: to clarify, the AI is perfectly serviceable to play solo, I doubt there is anyone in the world still playing this the BBS style multiplayer way

If you haven't already played it, I would recommend trying Space Empires IV (the older versions are all 16-bit and don't run on 64-bit Windows, and SE V is very different). Minefields, satellites, baseships, blowing up planets/stars, building ringworlds etc. It has a couple of cool mods, too.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

I'll definitely give it a go.

It's often sold for something like $5-10 during GOG and Steam sales, so I'd wait for one, at least.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

HycoCam posted:

And how can you guys be talking bad about onions on a hot dog--did you not see the ketchup all over that thing? Who over the age of 13 puts ketchup on a hot dog?

Hey, ketchup is an excellent condiment for hot dogs (and other things). It even hits all five basic tastes that we humans perceive :colbert:
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2004/09/06/the-ketchup-conundrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

$40 missiles, don't forget those.

https://i.imgur.com/UG7z54e.mp4

Yes, this as well. Apparently nothing can move you if you are emoting. Even if you are doing it on a ship that is trying to take off, or exploding.

I'm rather far behind, but I just noticed that only the first missile is actually held up by something. The other 4 missiles just sort of float along behind it somehow. How did they miss even that?!?