Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

Also they updated their schedule report

PTU window is now set to somewhere between today and next Wednesday. Live release is still scheduled for next Friday.

You can't patch something a week before Christmas. That's when you have the fewest available employees. And you don't get back up to full speed till mid way through January. That release date is so unrealistic I can only assume since it is CIG it is accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Foo Diddley posted:

The possibility that Star Citizen might actually be bad is literally unthinkable to these people

Not just bad, they reject the idea that Star Citizen might be average, okay or good but fundamentally broken. Those possibilities represent the darkest timeline for cultists.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Good news for Australians who buy digital goods:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/video-games-website-steam-fined-3-million-for-refusing-refunds-20161223-gthdux.html

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Croberts: Men, there's a little crippled boy sitting in a hospital who wants you to release 2.6. I know because I crippled him myself to inspire you.
Milhouse: (to his mom and dad) I hope they release 2.6, or Croberts said he's coming back.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

It will also be the shortest lived victory in gaming history. As the final note of their victory song fades, the last thing that they will see is shadow as our Auroras blot out the sun. Then the real game begins.

The only thing better for goons than Star Citizen's failure is its success.

You won't even need to hop in your Aurora. When the Star Citizens were dreaming about that ship sale event being in game one of the biggest concerns was people jumping around like idiots. Just running around the safe zones being stupid is going to ruin a large portion of Star Citizens super serious sci-fi space simulation fidelity dream.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

The best thing is Star Citizens watched the video a ton, downvoted and commented. So Youtube is going to read that as strong engagement from people who watch Star Citizen videos and start recommended it to them. Increasing the number of people who see the video and start hacking.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Another company offering Star Marine cheats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uzVxc2QvKE

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

That was too subtle for /ds:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/5n1d7y/derek_smart_doing_a_body_language/

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

I mean I get that MWO is a bad game nobody plays but they literally just spent the last year and a half trying to deal with the fallout of not being able to detect cheaters. This is p common sense stuff.

Detecting cheaters isn't the hard part, it is not getting false positives. Cheat makers disguise their programs to match normal software as much as possible. So when Blizzard or Valve get a software detection it always flags a hell of a lot of legitimate users. And sorting through that is the slow tedious part.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

toanoradian posted:

Isn't MtGOX bankrupt? Like, actually financially? Last I remember in the hey days of bitcoin thread 2015 it's no longer a thing

Yeah. People just couldn't believe that Magic: the Gathering: Online eXchange wasn't a great place to invest your speculation funds.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
I'm not sure SC is the model for acceptable scope and quality:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/5nppbd/gdc_2017_survey_pc_remains_the_most_popular/dcdgmhu/

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

tooterfish posted:

We don't even know if the numbers at the end of the SQ42 video are even a date.

It's probably just a coincidence, "2016" could mean anything.

Maybe we have been wrong about SQ42 dates all this time. 2014 was how many days of development there were remaining. Then the "scope" changed so in 2015 there was 2015 days remaining and so on in 2016 and 2017. Every year they are adding 366-367 days of "scope".

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Star Citizen doesn't need VR because the development itself is "virtual" reality.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Streetroller posted:

On refunds...

It's a coincidence!

If you have a system where $50 gets spaceship X, $100 gets spaceship Y and $150 gets spaceship Z the default assumption is it is a simple purchase system and subject to local customer laws. In any case the onus will be on CIG to prove that their system is 'pledges' and 'pledges' aren't purchases. I'd to see how CIG in court would try to explain away how a 'pledge' can go on sale.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

I'd be more concerned at when Star Citizen is going to implement one system before speculating about secret system additions.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Phi230 posted:

Roberts is gonna pull a Jonestown but its gonna be the best drat Jonestown ever

Robertstown 2017 2018.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
With 2.6 and 2.6.1 Star Marine has started to introduce destructible props in the game. Shattering glass, explosive barrels and etc. The most recent monthly report mentioned that the team was looking to add more props and items that can be destroyed in the game. Presumably this work will carry into the Persistent Universe. Have you put any thought into how destroyed props will be restored in the Persistent Universe? Example being, if a player could shatter the glass windows in Port Olisar, how would the game "reset" to a point where the windows are replaced.

So the first thing that would happen is the duty commander of Port Olisar would put that area in emergency lockdown. Then he would create a job for the emergency response team. They would go to window and put in a emergence repair job to stop the immediate danger. They would also assess anyone near the area for injuries and will call a medical ship for the injured and a morgue ship for any one who died. At this point the duty commander would create a job for the repair commander to fix the window. His team will access the window and determine if the window is repairable or if it needs to be replaced. If it needs to be replaced an order will be made to the window manufacturer. At the window manufacturer a fulfilment officer will receive the order and relay it to the warehouse to prepare to send out a window and will create a transport job for any transport ships in the area. Once a transport ship accept the transport job and lands at the window manufacturer the warehouse supervisor will send a few employees to load the window on the transport. The transport will head to Port Olisar with the window. On the way to Port Olisar the transport will have to weigh up the potential dangers and may hire some mercs to protect the ship and the cargo. If so all the merc companies will receive a protection request and it is up to the merc officers to create an quote for services. Merc services include on transport mercs to fight boarders as well as merc ship to fight pirate ships. The transport captain will look at the merc quotes and if they find a good quote will accept the merc contract. On the way law enforcement might stop a transport ship and check for contraband, check the registration details of the ship and run criminal/immigration checks on the crew. Once the transport ship has arrived at Port Olisar the receiving dock manager will receive and take possession of the window. After processing the invoice the receiving dock manager will update Port Olisar's repair inventory which will create a job for the repair crew to get and then install the window.

But that doesn't go into detail on the window manufacture process. Obviously a busy manufacturer isn't going to wait for orders before constructing windows so there is a steady flow of windows being made subject to the long term trends of customers. So this means the inventory manager will be looking into the current and expect future demand for the companies windows. Of course a company isn't going to just be happy with their existing customers so they will have a sales team. The sales team will be divided into a call based teams and travelling salesmen who go out on sale ships(there is an upcoming ship concept for the Finchy travelling salesman ship) in order to find new customers. The windows are created by the factory workers but they need material to create the windows. That goes back to the inventory manufacturer who maintains acceptable levels of space glass and space metal. This means constant new jobs are created for delivery of space glass and space metal. Of course those are smelted products, the raw materials are space sand and space metal ore. The raw materials are mined on planets and sent to smelter plants on different planets to create base construction materials. which are then sent to window manufacture which is on another planet. The mining companies and the smelter companies have similar setup to the window manufacture, with inventory managers and sales staff and factory workers. And between each step transport jobs are created.

And while all this is going on a police report will be created about the damaged window. A police job will be created which can be handled by police ship. If a suspect is found the police will try to capture the suspect. If captured they will sent to space jail in a space jail transport, if they are killed a morgue ship will collect the body. If an insurance claim is made an insurance officer will be called to Port Olisar in an insurance ship to evaluate the claim and to make sure no insurance fraud is going on. And finally a news job is created in which a news van will be dispatch if the news organisation deems the window shatter event to be news worthy.

And the great thing is all the jobs detailed here can be done by either players or NPCS. So just one small event like a player shooting a window on Port Olisar means hundreds of jobs are impacted or created. So any time anything happens in game a thousand steps happen and all of them have to be done perfectly or the whole system falls apart because CIG have made a perfect economic simulation with no exploits and no bottlenecks and no faking. And it all just works because Chris Roberts something something, publishers are bad and lazy.

Personally I can't wait to be a fulfilment officer at a window manufacturer. What a fun and rewarding job to have within the context of a massively online twitch based FPS/space sim hybrid game.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Foo Diddley posted:

Star Citizen: Too much money has been invested for it to be a con

Bernie Madoff was innocent this whole time.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Bargearse posted:

I got some bad news

I actually paid real-world big cash money for ME:A and I'm actually enjoying it. help what do I do

At least the patches aren't going to be 30 gigs a piece.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

That reminds me, Celestia basically has every feature Star Citizens have asked for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestia

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

thatguy posted:

I have his July blog tattooed across my back.

Don't trust the skull.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

skaboomizzy posted:

I buy $50 of packs every expansion and justify it by saying I don't buy ever buy any new PS4 games at full price.

Yeah but they are moving to 3 expansion per year. No adventures which are cheaper and you get 100% of the cards.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Mr Fronts posted:

It's now reached Morrowind, Fallout 3, SWTOR.

Fallout 3 was 2004-2008 so 4 years. Bethesda completely restarted development. Nothing was taken from Black Isle's Fallout 3 into Bethesda's Fallout 3.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Wise Learned Man posted:

I love that they're still just using time between games in a series, and not actual development time. IIRC all of Blizzard North got laid off and ~5 years of development on the original iteration of Diablo III got shitcanned, but that magically adds to the development time of a completely different game made by an entirely different team.

All the games on that list didn't have smooth development. All sorts of crazy stuff happened to each of those games to make the development that long. Everyone that made those games(save Fallout 3) will admit it shouldn't have taken as long as it did. That's in addition to having the pre-production time included which is conveniently left out of Star Citizen. Star Citizen on the other has basically just had Chris Roberts standing in the way of development.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

AP posted:

I love how they think ship sales would end if the game made release. Chris Roberts said they'd still sell game packages, with lots of different ships in them. We're totally not still selling ships, packages with ships in them don't count.

That's really the craziest thing Star Citizen believe in. Having faith in CIG and Chris Roberts to deliver a proper product. Yeah, whatever. Agree to disagree. But to think that a business that has a successful whale model is ever going to voluntarily give it up, it is just beyond reason. Why would you turn down massive amounts of money from people with more dollars than sense? If anything the $45/60 buy in is the thing that is going to go because it impacts on the whale model.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

TrustmeImLegit posted:

The advertising/marketing pushes have gotten extremely aggressive in the last year and every article they've purchased in the last 2 years (through David Swoffords reputation management firm)

That reminds me to go see how our old friend and legitimate news site Pixelemonade is doing:

http://www.pixelemonade.com/

No new articles since January 21st. It's almost as if the entire site was created to plant a positive story of something or the other.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Chris Roberts: LV-426 WAS NOT A JOKE.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

A game studio that releases games? They mustn't know proper game development means having one game that is in a state of perpetual alpha fuelled by weekly disability check.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

Is this Sandi trying to summon the magic of the Infini-Game?

No, the lion is a graduate of the Sandi School of Acting. Lesson one: attack anyone else that is taking attention away from you.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

TheAgent posted:

jesus christ what a loving mess

http://imgur.com/Sks8VZE

like just reading this means they have to put in a new reputation system into 3.0. how do you get rep? how do you lose rep? who the gently caress do you get positive and negative rep with? how does the game know if you're a good or bad guy, as showed in that questflow?

so many loving questions. why aren't people asking these loving questions.

It's the same mission flowchart from Freelancer. Down to idling at a barstool to get missions.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

CaptainBtaksDad posted:

I remember when the holiday livestream happened and the relay boyz were all depressed. And someone asked if they will have to wait til gamescom next year to see anything.

All 4 of the dudes were like gently caress NO they need to get their poo poo together and show us something early in the year. Wheres your fire dudes. Its June.

Star Citizen 2.6.3 was an industry game changer.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Daztek posted:

This is a really good article: The Story Behind Mass Effect: Andromeda's Troubled Five-Year Development

Especially when you change Andromeda to Star Citizen and Bioware to CIG

:allears:

quote:

Designing the large maps of Andromeda’s planets became a struggle on Frostbite, where the maximum size of a map was initially 100 by 100 kilometers. The Andromeda team needed their maps to be way bigger than that.

Jesus loving Christ. 10,000 square kilometres for one map and it wasn't enough. Nothing in Mass Effect 1-3 suggests you need maps 1% that size. That was some real CIG thinking.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
So on the subject of networking and dreams how is something like a MISC Hull E suppose to work? The specs say it has 98304 standard cargo units. When it is just travelling through space you don't have to update cargo, you can just assume the cargo system is working. But what happens when some players come along and start blasting a Hull E? For fidelity reasons are they really going to have thousands of objects just start floating around needing constant updates on the 64 bit position, direction, speed and rotation for each object for say 20 players? It is just absurd to think about the gulf between what their stated goals are and what can actually be done.

kilus aof fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 16, 2017

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Breetai posted:

What movie is this?

TV show. American Gods.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Amazing Zimmo posted:

In other scammy news, Garriot is doing an AMA about Shroud of the avatar on reddit tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/ShroudofAvatar/status/876867653947850753

They are using the dead official subreddit rather than the unofficial one that is currently being used by anyone who cares about Shroud of the Avatar on reddit.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Episode

:laffo:

I think it is season 3 episode 39 not the 339th episode of Around the Verse.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Viscous Soda posted:

I'm going to disagree with you there, Star Citizen isn't a knockoff of one or two franchises, it's a knockoff of every single sci-fi that Crobberts is aware of, all mixed into a bland chunky rubbery goo that lacks any personality.

Mass Effect shows you can just knockoff all the sci-fi you love and still make a decent universe. The fact Crobberts can't just shows his incompetence.