Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

spacetoaster posted:

I don't know much about tweeter, but does "no longer available" mean that she's erasing her tweets mentioning wtfosaurus?

This happens when:

You Quote Tweet person X’s tweet
You subsequently block (or previously have blocked) person X
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Twitter-sometimes-say-this-tweet-is-unavailable-but-you-can-still-click-through-to-the-tweet-that-is-linked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

My God, he really is a harbinger of failure

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

June - CIG release standalone cargo loading minigame for Vive and Rift complete with big cartoony floating glove hands.

July - Chris Roberts releases 8 page long coke-fueled manifesto about how by achieving VR support and integration Star Citizen is paving the way for space games of the future. Braben dies of laughter the same day (but police don't establish a link between the two incidents and Cobblers walks free with one more feature checked off his list).

August- CIG board members appear in 3 hot new commercials for McDonald's (Ben), Restoration Hardware (Sandi), and Whacky Willy's Discount Autos (Chris). Each cross-promotion features a new ship and stirring motivational Letter From The Chairman.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://gfycat.com/LastHideousBetafish

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

http://eq2wire.com/2017/01/05/closing-the-book-on-everquest-next-and-landmark/

Retrospective on the now-defunct Everquest Landmark and EQ Next:

• Trailblazer packs for the then-titled EverQuest Next Landmark were estimated to have made over $10 million and were sold with the obvious connection that it would eventually support development of EverQuest Next.
  • Development on EQNext / Landmark began before the technology had been sufficiently tested. It was not known if the engine/platform could support all the features that were announced on stage at SOE Live. NPC Pathing did not work until December 2014 and requires 6GB of pathing data per island per world.
  • The EverQuest Next “combat demo” shown at SOE Live in 2013 was entirely smoke and mirrors, with developers back at the home office “playing” NPCs.
  • The VoxelFarm engine adopted for Landmark and EverQuest Next was modified in such a way that upstream changes and improvements to VoxelFarm (including major new features like placeable flowing water and fixes for bugs that plague Landmark to this day) could not be integrated.
  • Landmark was only ever intended or built as a Development Kit for creating EverQuest Next geometry. As a result, it was not a “game” and never saw basic features such as Trading items, proper Guilds, or a Broker.
  • It was revealed at the “Tech Evolution” panel at SOE Live in 2014 that this was the fourth rendition of EverQuest Next. The first two had been cancelled as being direct sequels to EQ or EQ2 and “not thinking big enough”. The third was a fixed block size version of the game. The fourth iteration introduced scaling voxels.
  • Feedback from the existing EverQuest and EverQuest II teams was largely ignored. Instead, credence was primarily given to outside feedback from recently laid off 38 Studios staff and other outsiders in the industry. 38 Studios staffers in particular encouraged the exaggerated Disney character style.
  • Georgeson went around the office telling anyone within earshot that EverQuest Next “didn’t need designers” and that “players will make the content for us”. Suffice it to say, this kind of talk was rather demoralizing for other teams within the company that valued storytelling.
  • Sony Online Entertainment took a $62 million writeoff in 2013 for development costs associated with EverQuest Next and H1Z1.
  • When SOE was given access to see exactly what Storybricks was and wasn’t, members of the EQNext team found that it was not a good fit. Rather than immediately changing course to other solutions, or beginning development on traditional storytelling tools for designers to start creating content along the lines of EQ, EQ2, and more modern MMOs, Georgeson “doubled down” on Storybricks as the be-all solution for game content creation and would not waver from that course despite it quickly becoming clear that the software didn’t align with what had been announced.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

http://whois.domaintools.com/pixelemonade.com

An article from a site registered less than 5 days ago that claims 66210 Views on the article published about Star Citizen today. Alongside 5 random articles about Trump, tennis, and a Syrian car bomb.

I don't know what you guys are talking about, Star Citizen is clearly just making big waves in journalist circles.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Oh hey guess what else is hosted at the same IP?

http://www.andrewmahermarketing.com/

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

sandis nephew, how quaint

I don't know what you're talking about sir, he is clearly the editor in chief of this dignified publication. (Note that he is also credited as the author on every single other story, except this one)
http://www.pixelemonade.com/contact-us/

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 8, 2017

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't know what you're talking about sir, he is clearly the editor in chief of this dignified publication.
<snip>

Oh that's odd, several of his articles appear to be directly plagiarized from news.com.au

http://www.pixelemonade.com/entertainment/tv/neil-patrick-harris-finds-new-ways-to-be-awfully-awful/
http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...241839e09f49f16

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Citizens, if any of you still casually read this thread, this is a message for you: this isn't normal. Reputable companies with giant established fan bases do not float their big exclusive hype-generating articles to 5 day old SEO sites whose other articles are plagiarised from actual news organizations. This is naked, open contempt for your gullibility. This is Star Citizen actually transitioning from game to scam. Get out get out get out.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

He posted it on his own loving account.

https://www.reddit.com/user/vibiuspanzer/comments/#res:ner-page=2

The Author posted:

Wow this is really cool. You should use influencer marketing to reach out to people with large social media accounts who have blogs to see if they might be interested in sharing your url. More people need to know about this!

Hmm yes this is definitely normal tech journalist behavior nothing to see here

The Author posted:

I'm a digital marketer by profession so for me personally I would look at that and think this is scam because I don't know your brand. Anyone these days could start a website and make it look legit but there are scams that look like the real deal which are just there to grab credit card details etc.

YEP TOTALLY NORMAL STAR CITIZEN DOING GREAT

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Samizdata posted:

Look. If they don't know this by now, either their reality distortion fields are stuck on 11, they are too dream-driven to think about it, or both.

Maybe, but this is kind of new. This is CIG directly linking itself to transparently bottom-of-the-barrel scam tactics. Before there was always some shadow of a doubt, maybe they were just brutally incompetent or maybe Chris was kind of a perfect storm of greed and stupidity but the project wasn't a scam, per se. But this is the second or third time in a month that they've used a fake news site to push lies about the state of progress. It is really easy to see through. And it indicates some pretty loving serious contempt for the critical thinking skills of the fan base.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

or...buy back in???

No that was 2015

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh hey guess what else is hosted at the same IP?

http://www.andrewmahermarketing.com/

Ahaha removed within hours. Keep on shining CIG, you crazy loving diamonds. Hope nobody archived your poo poo.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Blue Cross Blue Balls posted:

Haven't caught up to the thread properly but i i i archered them. :cry: BrB taking a shower to scrub the diiirty Doxer from me.

Star Citizen 3.0 release promises revolutionary features
https://archive.is/6dvf0

Whois Record for PixELemonade.com
https://archive.is/yCc82

I'm Andrew Maher!
https://archive.is/Wadw0

Oh good, thank you for catching it. I need to get in the habit of archiving this stuff, it has a nasty tendency to vanish shortly after it gets posted. Almost like somebody obsessively reads this thread and is desperately thin skinned about accusations of dishonesty!

Edit: love that expertise section on the resume. "How are you with Wordpress?" "Oh, 85%."

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Unironically, that looks like the shittiest place to try and do any sort of focused creative work. Nothing better for focus than being crammed cheek-to-cheek with 6 other dudes in a seating plan that looks like it came out of the slave section of a 50-oar galley, right? I love having my train of though interrupted every time anyone within 3 departments of me takes a phone call or has a meeting! But it probably makes it really convenient for the big boss to storm through once a day and upend literally everybody's work cycle. Seriously no loving wonder they never get anything done.

Edit: Catte

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

I feel bad for the dudes with their backs to the kitchen door. I bet they don't get a loving thing done all day what with all the folks taking breaks to go get a two-thousand-calorie sandwich or whatever.

I like the audio team sandwiched between the machine room, server room, and emergency exit. Across from 16 artists and just down the way from the customer service team. Bet the acoustics are top-notch!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

peter gabriel posted:

I do always like that the 'Yeah but can you do this in elite?' frothings are one by one being answered by 'yes you can now'
Multi crew, planetary landings and soon walking around, we've been here many times and every single time Elite has put the features in. Eventually we'll be at the stage of 'yeah but does elite have Powered By Amazon on it? no, it does not' as we shrug and float in space in VR

My average play session in Elite:

Put on virtual reality headset because we live in the god drat future.
Start in the cockpit of my Imperial Cutter, which I have been grinding engineer upgrades on.
Physically get up, walk over to the end table in the back of my office, grab a bottle of water- VR mirrors my movement in the ship, so it's as though I'm walking around the bridge. Also there are invisible loving cats on the bridge that keep trying to trip me.
Sit back down and spend some time in map mode finding a planet with the appropriate materials on it.
Route plotted, initiate launch and get out of the docking bay.
Seamlessly fly from the breathtakingly enormous station to a new system, and then to the planet, and then down onto the planet, no loading screens, no interruptions except the seven thousand god drat interdictions that happen whenever you have any remotely valuable cargo, gently caress you Frontier.
Find a relatively flat spot and land. Deploy rover.
Spend several merry hours feeling like I am driving a tiny little rover on a barren alien world with the thinnest of glass between me and the howling void. Contemplate my mortality.

My average play session in Star Citizen (anecdotal because it's been a year now):

Disable SLI on my video cards because the game can't handle it.
Run game- wait for patcher to download 36 loving GB.
Launch game, pull out tablet and begin reading.
10 minutes later- game has loaded.
Attempt to leave wankpod, clip through floor, die.
Attempt to leave wankpod, get to ship spawning station, it doesn't loving work
Continue hammering on ship spawning station until it works.
Attempt to use airlock, it glitches out, slam face into it until you clip through.
Run to ship, attempt to board, clip through floor.
Attempt to board, clip through floor.
Say "gently caress It" and go float off the pad to get the weird zero-g effect. Float back over to top of ship cockpit. Press "USE" through ship wall on cockpit chair.
Magic teleport engaged, find self in chair.
Attempt to take off, ship clips into pad and explodes. Game crashes.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

ManofManyAliases posted:

Difference is that I can take my character, leave the ship and walk right unto a space station immediately after landing. What happens in E:D? You just "transfer" to another ship?

You know, you can do that in Space Engineers.

Also, in Kerbal Space Program.

Also, in No Man's Sky.

Also, in Star Rangers.

Also, in Call of Duty.

I look forward to hearing your report on why none of these actual playable-right-now games with walking around outside your spaceship are as good as potentially-a-game-someday-maybe Star Citizen.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Scruffpuff posted:

Lack of day/night cycles is what's killing E:D imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CBVqqRAwXs&t=141s

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Quavers posted:

Wasn't there an SC concept image that contained art archered from Mass Effect?

The main concept art for Star Marine was a photoshop of a Halo Master Chief action figure.

E: this one.
http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Star-Citizen-Dev-Details-Exciting-Features-in-Star-Marine-Module-480802-2.jpg

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 28, 2017

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUTyiMjjf7w

Man, look at all the progress that Dual Universe is making! With that many amazing mechanics in place, I'm sure they've had a team of 300+ people working for at least 10 years.

...Oops! My bad, it's a tiny French studio, with a 500k euro kickstarter, and 7 months of development time.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Decent salary managing a multi-million dollar marketing campaign for a company making a revolutionary game? Sounds good. Sign me up.

Is it really marketing though, if you're promoting a product that doesn't exist? I'm pretty sure there's another name for that. Glad you're on board for it though!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

Wait are we back to fighting about recipes now? Awesome, that means B_of_inforedux making his triumphant return is right around the corner, according to my charts!

Parp is a flat circle.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Here, journalists, I have researched a list of convenient questions for you to ask Chris Roberts in your next totally-not-a-paid-placement interview! No need to thank me- just be sure to read them verbatim.

At Gamescom in April of 2016 you demo'd the "Alpha" of Star Citizen's 3.0 patch, which was slated to introduce NPC's and a larger game world. At the time you indicated that this was set to release before the end of the year.
At the moment, it is 2 months into 2017, and several statements by employees have given the impression that you have not even begun working on 3.0. Is that the case, and if so, what was it that you showed off last year at Gamescom? What prompted you to give late-2016 as a release date?

In an interview with Forbes in 2013, you said: "[Then] an alpha of the single-player game, and then finally a beta of the persistent universe by the end of the year (2014)." Now obviously that was wildly off the mark.
What was behind your estimates at that time, and what has changed to push the release date back by 3+ years with no end in sight? Are you addicted to that little tingle that comes from making declarative statements?

On your forums in 2014, Ben Lesnick, then director of community engagement and content strategy, said: " [... We] plan to launch the Persistent Universe sometime in 2015 and expect to have all the features we’ve talked about to date implemented and functioning (with the help of the community which will be testing them) over the course of the ensuing year." In an interview with Geekdomo in April 2014, Erin Roberts said: "For the first chapter [of Squadron 42], we're aiming for it to be towards the beginning of next year (2015)."What was behind their estimates at that time? It appears that in each of these quotes, the strategy when discussing release dates was just to say something approximately 12 months ahead of the current moment. Would you say your company has some kind of issue with estimating more than 5-6 months out? Would you say that the "Con" in CitizenCon does not, in fact, stand for "Convention?"

In this video, you begin waving your hands while describing procedural generation for star citizen in 2014. In this video, you begin waving your hands while describing procedural generation for star citizen in 2016. These appear to be the same mechanics you've been waving your hands and describing for 2 years. What have you actually accomplished, you intolerable waste of skin?

In september of last year, you angrily denied rumors that the SQ42 was delayed. Less than a month later, you did a complete 180 on that statement and announced that the game was delayed, and promised an update in the near future. It's been 4 months since then and it is increasingly apparent that you weren't anywhere close to finishing the smallest part of this project. When you lie so blatantly, do your testicles kind of shrink up into your body or have you lost the ability to feel shame?

Virtually everything in this timeline is wrong. Are you a loofah-faced poo poo gibbon?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Look man Chris Roberts 2012-[LAST YEAR] was obviously an untrustworthy, lying scammer. However; Chris Roberts [THIS YEAR] has reassured me of his commitment to finishing the game with renewed respect for the backers and an unprecedented transparency,

In [LAST YEAR] we told you that we were just a couple of weeks away from showing [VERSION NUMBER]. Then we sold you more ships. Well, obviously we [GOT TOO MUCH FUNDING/BROKE AN ARM/FIRED HALF OUR DEVELOPERS] so those dates are going to slip a little bit. Don't worry- you'll see everything you pledged for in [CURRENT DATE PLUS SIX MONTHS]!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Even if you want to excuse away all the lovely date stuff, the ironclad counter-argument to this is that CIG is deliberately running articles through scammy bottomfeeder "News" sites. Why would they do that? It's clear that it isn't a misstep, it's a pattern of deliberate behavior, and more often than not those scam-articles also include dates and estimates that turn out to be wildly inaccurate.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

D_Smart posted:

Well, pick another game that models what we're discussing then. What's stopping you, exactly?

Dwarf Fortress. (Probably)

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Quavers posted:

Here's a good start, and about half of the comments in the thread:

All CIG has to do is exactly what they did in 2016- release a demo video around that time called 3.0 or 3.1 or whatever, and declare that it will be out for public consumption in a couple of weeks. It's a pretty well established play by now and it continues to throw just enough red meat to the superfans that they stay on board. None of them have really clued in to the part where the demo'd videos- Idris walkthrough, procedural planets, sand worm, new Crusader missions and ground combat, grabby hands, procedural damage, etc etc- never amount to anything.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Oh good, we're back to "I have a secret, teehee"

:rolleyes:

Why abandon the classics?

TheAgent has been leaking for a while now that they're planning to roll S42 into the existing multiplayer game as some sort of lovely mission packs. I expect it's related to that.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Lack of Gravitas posted:

45 minute developer let's play for a different space game. I'm not sure they understand how game development works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBF9t1REwsA

Wow, 9 months since the announcement trailer and they have mechanics! Functioning gravity, electricity, and life support systems! In-game monitors that are interactive and give actual information! They played live for 45 minutes and not once did the character model spaz the gently caress out and clip through the ceiling! The visuals are passable-to-good! How many billions of dollars must have been dumped into this boondoggle?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

peter gabriel posted:

Ben: Moving the gold posts

BOOOOOO

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

what is your favorite space anime? (LOGH not allowed).

Planetes

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

ManofManyAliases posted:

You have written a load of poo poo as an old-timed, indie dev with absolutely no insight into CIG's world, and you expect others to believe you? Give it a rest already - you're going to give yourself a coronary.

I like that every time CIG puts out even the tiniest sign of life, even a lovely ripoff of a literally free chat app that probably cost backers a million dollars and a year's dev time, you get your dander up and start doing little chihuahua aggression displays at Derek.

How does it feel that Frontier is literally handing CIG its rear end on an almost weekly basis? At this point it's starting to feel like you crave it. It's like you guys heard Frontier was passing out asses and you've known nothing but years of bitter rear end famine.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I kind of like the idea that a future spaceman in the year 3000 is going to have a blanket with child's cartoon depictions of space flight in approximately 1965. I mean I know that I personally go to bed every night in my blanket featuring iconography of the empereror Basil II of the Byzantine Empire circa 995AD.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

radd posted:

So - what is to stop CIG offering say $10m to the Hellion guys, release it as Star Citizen and say that is the MVP, job done, and Chris can spend the rest of the money for mocapping scenes that will pad out some Hellion scripted missions and call it Squadron 42?

The backers will never know.

I was just commenting on this to my wife. How embarrassing is it for Chris that this direct competitor was green lighted like 9 months ago and already has a mechanically fleshed out alpha with full newtonian physics, FPS point of view, and multiplayer? Not to mention functioning ship systems. 9 months is less than the time between incremental patch updates for Star Citizen. And on like 1% of their budget, as well. I mean, forget Elite- this kind of thing coming out of indie studios reveals the complete balls-up he's made of Star Citizen. Like if he'd just thrown everything out and given a team like this a couple million and done nothing else, back around Gamescom-time last year, he could now have a playable game prototype and Citizens would be vomiting money at him again. But that would require abandoning his vision quest and possibly admitting that he's not very good with a budget, or game design, or management.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

HycoCam posted:

Ummmm--those Hellion devs have been working their asses off. Chris and Sandi have been vacationing every where from Hawaii to the Mediterranean. One of those CEOs is doing it right....

Well yeah but they're probably very competent. I'm just saying, Chris and Sandi literally having nothing to do with their project would have been a much bigger contribution than anything they've done to date.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

That's interesting, I used to play Planets Nu by email. I knew it was a remaster of an older game but I didn't know there was a sequel to the original.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hey, functional multicrew:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWbYSShv5to

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

My favorite is the $90 model of a ship that no longer looks anything like that due to constant refactoring.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Increasingly I'm finding that the part of this fiasco that gives me the greatest joy is watching the sparks that fly whenever the /r/SC bubble intersects with reality. Today, for example, they tried to shill an article that literally amounts to "Star Citizen announces some features that were coming soon are still coming soon." The comments in these threads are a joy to behold.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/5z4bzp/star_citizens_persistent_universe_draws_closer
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/5z4btn/star_citizens_persistent_universe_draws_closer