Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's like FDev beating CIG to the punch broke their brains...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ramadu posted:

dont be a coward

only cowards block or ban or probate people

LoL no. Blocking people is fun. It lets them know, unequivocally, that you don't care about anything they have to say, ever.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

SoftNum posted:

No see galaxy-brain is telling them they are being blocked. The actual blocking is basically unimportant as long as they know you did it! You sure showed them!

Don't forget to accidentally respond to them 2 weeks later.

Here on SA it serves more like a little reminder that I'm about to read an extra lovely post, and I have to put out the tiniest amount of effort each time, so I'm slightly less likely to actually touch the poop and egg them on more.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
:yikes:

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

ewe2 posted:

Cargo-cult Theory of Star Citizen

That's not really a cargo cult... Cargo cult is a group of people who take on the appearance of something, thinking that will give them the "magical" powers that something has.... It was coined when indigenous natives would build effigies of cargo planes....

But if you drop that, the Cult theory of Star Citizen is pretty good... Did you ever see Prester's writings about compaction cycles?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spiderdrake posted:

The game development is the cargo cult.

SC's fanbase, yeah, they're pretty culty. We might be kinda culty too, though, it's hard to say from the inside.

Yeah maybe so... with how Full Blizzard they are going without even releasing a single game... They did spend a bundle on the trappings of success prior to actually getting there.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

ewe2 posted:

No, that is expressly not what a cargo cult is. It's that very misconception that gives it the name. You obviously couldn't be bothered reading the link. Go back and read it.

I know of PJ's narrative theory, it has been applied to SC before, I wanted to look at it another way, we just don't have a better word than "cargo-cult" even though it's a problematic term.

1. Just because a guy wrote a blog post with a theory? k, cool story. It is still the same phenomenon that doesn't really match up with jpeg spaceships, even though that guy has an alternate theory explaining the behavior.

2. So coin one instead of loading more onto a term that is already loaded.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think Star Citizen is going to be one of those games that is fun to watch other people play, but I'm never going to want to play it myself.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

monkeytek posted:

Have you seen the ones building "cockpits" in their basements and dressing as space bunnies? I'd say there is a significant number of those who believe SC will give them the magical life they've felt has been denied them so long.

I haven't looked that hard. I've been playing Elite and most of my exposure to the Star Citizen community has been from their trolls. Are they functioning simpits at least? Hell, I rigged an old SXGA projector and cannibalized an old recliner into a redneck simpit for Elite so I can understand the appeal...

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh, you were asking if there are functioning Star Citizen simpits.

I don't know. I imagine a barbecue grill and your wallet would capture the full experience pretty well

E: this looks nauseating as hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lASg2luzoE

lol Yeah that looks terrible

the thing with Star Citizen... It's like, imma wake up and stare directly at my dick while I climb out of my wank pod

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sarsapariller posted:

The problem (other than that you are a nazi) is that star citizen isn't a game where you are in the cockpit of a spaceship. It's a game where you are in the head of a spaceman.

So all these cockpit sims look hosed up and weird for like 80% of play time because they're steering a man around an FPS level using a joystick and altimeter, for some reason.

1. Yeah, it seems terrible and disappointing.

2. Wait? They are all living out space Nazi fantasies? No wonder they seem like such regressive assholes.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agony Aunt posted:

I doubt it. But i do remember some members of SDC (Smiling Dog Crew - PvP group in ED for those who don't know) saying they were quitting ED for SC because SC was already a better game and would provide a better PvP experience.... that was like well over a year ago, possibly 2.

I wonder how that is working out for them...

I suspect that a significant percentage of the hardcore griefers in the Elite world are just salty Star Citizen fanbois.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sillybones posted:

Oh, I understand why they all get scammed now. They get excited about absolutely nothing.

Cocaine does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

iron buns posted:

Imagine you're an engineer at CIG.

You have been working your rear end off the past few months to get the latest feature creep item in, just to see it getting rejected because crobberts changed his mind again.

Would you rather post on a review site to defend your lovely employer, or just crawl under your desk to get some sleep before your next 48 hour crunch shift begins?

Cloud Imperium Games, 2018 (colorized)

Only registered members can see post attachments!