Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I've put in well over two hundred hours, and I still haven't left the Skyrim crater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Chris is going to give a SQ42 update at CitCon, and the air will be sucked out of the room as he mentions the beta has been delayed yet another year.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

There are a few things Chris wants in the game that are a verbatim copy of his imagination. The bar and bartender are one of the more inane ones but is nothing compared to the Javelin, with the flight deck, mess hall and all the military trappings. I don't know why they are complaining though. If they are following the game closely enough to read the reddit, they know full well what they have signed up for.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Praying for Epic to buy SQ42 exclusivity

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Maybe if they were working on SSOCS it'd be in the loving roadmap

Have you no faith in the secret internal roadmap?!?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Iceclaw posted:

Jesus. SC really is a honeypot for the worst kind of gamers, isn't it? That this guy has an audience, and that he probably is constantly as much of a loving rear end in a top hat kind of sicken me.

They made their name as a pro-gamergate games 'journalist'.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:munch:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

phosdex posted:

why engage with this

Thread has a poop touching problem.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Steam literally just had a 0-day exploit where any installed game could have silently installed a trojan.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Star Citizen's pace of development follows the coastline paradox. If you are checking in every few years it looks like nothing's changed. If you return every quarter to try out the new patch, you'll notice the marquee feature, and maybe a few tweaks and quality of life improvements. And if you are checking out the reddit everyday, progress is happening so rapidly that CIG doesn't even have the time to document it.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

rePool posted:

So, is Big Benny flaunting that he's still taking backer money while "still working on Star Citizen" from home? In what capacity?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

Also, apparently, the ship is so big that you literally can't spawn it at Port Olisar. You have to make the 20+ minute flight to Loreville or Area 18 to get it spawned in- hope you bought a second ship!

You wouldn't be able to log-on if you only owned an 890J since the ship isn't packaged with a licence for the actual game.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I haven't checked the reddit but I'm guessing the hardcore defenders are gloating that this is the proof that CIG is secretly ahead of schedule. CIG is vindicated and now the complainers need to shut up.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I doubt $1000 is going to cover the price increase.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Slow_Moe posted:

That plushie is so star citizer in a nutshell. make? TBA model? TBA. But gently caress it, we'll promise it to you anyway.

Bofast posted:

You know it's low effort when they haven't even decided on what the in-game plushie is supposed to be yet.

The plushie is TBA because it will be the unannounced ~$1000 ship they sell at Citcon every year.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The site going down happens way more often than you'd expect.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Next week: mini-travelogue of the community managers at gamescom

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

brutal

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

yes

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I guess it makes sense that they are releasing this at the end of Gamescom in lieu of a September Citcon. I really want to know if the November anniversary sale ship is still going to be a $200-$400 mid tier jpg, or if they are going to double dip with another $700+ whale jpg because it's Citcon.

If you thought rockets were glitchy, mines are going to take it to a whole new level. It seems like a bad idea to release it after the last ship was something that only fired rockets. But hey, it's an alpha, so it's ok they're releasing yet another broken on arrival ship.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Hazamuth posted:

How about another ship, this time 900 dollars, that can actually remove mines?

Return of the space bulldozer!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Quavers posted:

So if I understand correctly, the missile truck has a range of 2km, but mines have a detection and movement range of 5km?

The Ballista is one third the price of the Nautilus, so by that metric it's actually overpowered.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Starcraft's spider mines, but in space.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The magic, infinitely scaling server tech is in the vague, distant future? You don't say...

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

this latest bit of drama has led to some good 'shops

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Dark Off posted:

star citizen still should run great on bulldozer APU

nothing runs great on bulldozer

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Electr0freak has spent the last few weeks furiously corn cobbing for CIG, to the point where half the posts are just made up hypotheticals.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

How the gently caress does a restaraunt run out of potatoes?

This is the most believable part of the trip report.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

They streamlined the diffuse map into a condensed map :v:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

They had two weeks and this is the best they could do? A ten minute video with Erin sounding even less lucid than Chris. Actually, everything is slower on purpose due to a new buzzword... wow

Erin is just stating the obvious, and backers will convince themselves that this was a sufficient explanation.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

What if instead of pushing back half of the features mid development cycle, we start the cycle with half the features?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

What was this again?

Nick Elms, the creative director at CIG is the Manchester connection in this entire mess. He previously founded Embryonic which was later sold and rebranded as TTFusion, and is how Erin ended up making Lego games for a living. And before that, he founded Warthog Games which worked with Erin and Digital Anvil on Starlancer. Warthog was sold to Gizmondo and went on to produce legendary games such as 'Sticky Balls'. Then Gizmondo was outed as a scheme by the Swedish Mafia, leaving the business $300m in debt. The most memorable thing about Gizmondo was the tale of Stefan Eriksson (you should really read his wiki) and the mysterious man 'Dietrich' that crashed his Ferrari.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

black is very slimming

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I've suspected for a while that they're working on a new/different engine in secret, and will announce it once they have most of the old features working on it. But that's purely a hunch based on how many people they have working there, and how slowly engine features are being dripped out. Though the more likely reality is that Chris and CIG are just incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

This is nuts. I can't wrap my head around how little you have to know about the subject matter you're ostensibly making a game about to think this is a good and normal answer to the question.

You need to come up some sort of in-game justification that allows you to limit the amount of objects the server has to actively track.