Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
New thread new gifs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

No. From what was told to me, evocati were testing different builds. In a day, they send out multiple builds. Some are more focused on flight dynamics while others on FPS gameplay. The evocati have their own chat, discord, ptu forums, etc. They're all in one test group, but testing different things. The results are tabulated and they'll use those to streamline the builds so that the can get it out to PTU quicker.

Stop spitting out bullshit to save your rear end. All avocados run the same build and anyone can grab them. Even non-avocados have the client download urls in their patcher client and they aren't unique per-user.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
What do you do with the mad that you feel
When you feel so mad you could bite?
When the whole wide world seems oh, so wrong...
And nothing you do seems very right?

What do you do? Do you punch a bag?
Do you pound some clay or some dough?
Do you round up friends for a game of tag?
Or see how fast you go?

It's great to be able to stop
When you've planned a thing that's wrong,
And be able to do something else instead
And think this song:

I can stop when I want to
Can stop when I wish.
I can stop, stop, stop any time.
And what a good feeling to feel like this
And know that the feeling is really mine.
Know that there's something deep inside
That helps us become what we can.
For a girl can be someday a woman
And a boy can be someday a man.

please remember to call your parents you angry goons

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Dementropy posted:

I hope they didn't doxx him by using publicly available information.

Better get FAU on the case

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

AP posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/profile/134107/DiscoLando-CIG

Disco Lando hasn't logged in since the 12th. Kinda makes it hard to read the concern forum if you don't log in.

I hope lando didn't break his wrists :ohdear:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

AP posted:

This is a binary choice.

1> Either Derek is full of poo poo and doesn't have sources. Or 2> He does/did have sources and hence, actually knows stuff.

Now if it's 1, it difficult to explain how he knew about Star Marine I being binned 6+ months before Chris Roberts confirmed it. It's also difficult to explain how he knew about the firings/leavings last year immediately after they happened, the dispute with the contractor at CIG LA, the 20k coffee machine plus a pile of other stupid stuff.

Now maybe you could be like moma and think anyone at CIG who was leaking stuff to him has left. Personally I think that's dumb as hell because if it was stressful/annoying enough to leak poo poo over Star Marine I fuckups, I can't imagine it's less stressful/annoying now with them trying to get Star Marine II out the door in less time. But it's worth remembering that The Escapist said "seven ex-employees and two current employees" contacted them when they wrote their hit piece and they explained in detail how they verified them.

Now Citizens will brush The Escapist to one side with a load of crap about keycards etc, but if you're in the game industry I don't think it's a stretch to assume you don't actually want to be identified while moaning about what a horrible bunch of gobshites employed you. I also see no reason for The Escapist to just suddenly go after CIG as strongly as they did out of the blue and to then go one step further by refusing to back down in the face of a legal threat.

I started from the position of being cynical of Derek's claims in July 2015 and always try to independently verify things he's said, I've managed to do this a few times.

To understand why he appears to be blue balling everyone, I think you need to factor in that he's said there's stuff he just can't talk about for legal reasons, stuff he can't prove, things he can't say because it would potentially reveal sources and stuff he's told that sometimes turns out to be wrong (some of which will be CIG management changing their minds, some just wrong). Also, sure he likes trolling but if I was absolutely sure of something, 100% certain, I'd be trolling shitizens who'd setup a hate subreddit in my name too plus people here who constantly whine about him, because why the hell not?

There's two choices and it's obvious to me which is going to turn out be correct. I really do hope he writes a book after CIG goes bust as I'm sure there's more and it's worse.

Either way for the greater part of the year Derek has spent most of his time rehashing this thread on twitter or just throwing poo poo to flames to get people upset as that's what warlords/trolls do. Most every major gaff this year hasn't actually been from him which whatever, it's fine because there's always laughs to be had in this thread. As far as I'm concerned he's just fanning flames to get the internet buzzing because tomorrow will be a "big" day in terms of laughs so why not get some laughs ahead of time?

Everyone here knows the stream tomorrow will be nothing short of a poo poo show but at least CIG had the brain power this time around to not try to shove off technical debt down the road to The Next Big Stream® so really there's two things they need to hit. 2.6 and 2.6 with Star Marine. Sure 3.0 SHOULD be the main point but they've done enough smoke and mirrors to stave the faithful to where they accept the E3 Gamescom promise of 3.0 off.

In terms of him writing a book I'd rather have a post-mortem from someone/people closer to the project. There have been plenty of them for a mound of absolutely massive gently caress ups and I don't think Derek can do it without whatever book he writes turning into 400 pages of word salad and 100 pages of actual content.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
https://clips.twitch.tv/starcitizen/JoyousFoxKeepo

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I'll have you know I got the first paragraph of the stimpire text out in twitch chat before I was permabanned today o8

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Ramadu posted:

Wow. That's just discord. Who do they think they are fooling? Even the backers were like wtf.

It's not discord, there's a search feature which discord can't do. It's likely rocket chat which is a free open source discord/slack clone.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Drunk Theory posted:

I do love this "bug". I can't decide between intentionally malicious or utter incompetence. What technical reason could exist that caused 2.6 PTU to break live 2.5?

Database changes required for 2.6 and only maintaining one tree on production servers would be my guess.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
No it won't. Clouds are still computers and not magic.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Solarin posted:

:five:

Anybody see Chris in a Star Marine match yet??

It'd be hilarious if sandi ended up posting something on twitter putting them on vacation somewhere solidifying that he didn't write the post

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Madcosby posted:

Also, i dont have friends in cig but i do talk to someone who works there, and she says goons (people registered in the goon guild on their forums) have spent 55k since 2013.

Lol

Was sitting on that for a few months. Happy new years

It's almost like there are goons who haven't lost faith and don't post in this thread or are like moma too stupid to get out

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

As someone who's actual (certified) job is to build underlying infrastructure for cloud architecture that guy is full of poo poo and has no idea the massive amount of systems underlying to make AWS so easy for the end user along with the limitations AWS provides as well. Not only that the guy probably glorifies standing up a lamp stack to throw a chat app on and calls it "infrastructure"

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Ghostlight posted:

Yes, but do you understand game development?

I don't need to know poo poo about game development to comment on their choices for infrastructure and network stack

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

MedicineHut posted:

By the way, it seems that in addition to Star Marine, CIG also released full VR support you suckers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5lqjfk/just_tried_star_citizen_in_vr_and_the_feeling_is/

When asked how he did it the OP seems to dodge the question, but I am sure he is absolutely not full of poo poo.

It's the same lovely app that people use on other games and unless you like vomiting everywhere it's awful

http://www.vorpx.com/

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

-We're going to see 3.0 release much earlier than "mid-year."
-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.
-Certain evocati will begin testing 3.0 very, very soon.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

So the 3.0 from the gamescom presentation or '3.0' like the released '2.6' with half the features stripped to ship a horribly broken release?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

XK posted:

lol that the delta patcher that was coming soon is not even being mentioned anymore. The single easiest thing to make that would have the largest impact on both their customer's experience and their bandwidth bills. Do they really not have anyone capable of programming a proper patcher? How much does each 30g download likely cost them?

Dayman (ah-ah-ah)
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun! (ah-ah-ah)
You're a Master of Karate
And Friendship
For Everyone

delta patching should be easy but due to how pak files are built and likely their horrible layout of their assets the data changes so much between the pak builds that there would be no benefit to using delta patching

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

XK posted:

I really don't think there's that much data that changes between builds. All the patches do so little.

Does that statement from Roberts say Behavior Interactive made Grim HEX? That's the biggest addition that's been made to the game since 2.0, and it was done by an outside contractor. All CIG got done is clothes, shopping, and a couple ships.

so pak files are zips of assets laid out based off how the data is done in maps

at least in the past when they added new ships or changed something on a map the entire pak file for that portion of the game was completely different by gigabytes

maybe by now they've streamlined it but i highly doubt it considering nothing has changed since i last cared about laughing at this dumpster fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I don't see people talking about this little piece of ATV that absolutely could be the most important aspect of item 2.0 and more importantly, the future of Star Citizen. Forgive my formatting, I'm on mobile...

Check out the video from 20:15 - 23:05. Here, we learn the development strategy CIG is using to rework the Item 2.0 system. This strategy is considered "Best Practice" in the industry, as large companies begin to lose control and maintainability in their systems. Large applications or businesses made up of many different large applications lose the ability to create new functionality and maintain the code they have if everytime they need a task done, they write new code to do it. This sounds like the method taken in the original item system that has been a nightmare to maintain and increased time on creating new mechanics.

Breaking code out into reusable components is the way of the future... this code is then never copy pasted into new code blocks, but rather is referenced by the code that needs it. What that means, is when you go to implement a functionality in 1 ship, it carries over the existing, WORKING, logic to handle that action. If a change is needed to that functionality as a whole, it's 1 code change in 1 place for potentially DOZENS of use cases across all ships, stations, buildings, etc.

What we see here is not just an optimization for the 3.0 release, but an investment in the games future and maintainability. These kinds of development strategies mean we can see new content created faster, and existing content balanced, with fewer bugs.

That's not what they meant. They're targeting microservice architecture which makes each component of an application 100% independent so that there isn't conflicts.

What you are referencing is the node.js approach where you "never rewrite code ever" and modularize common code to import.

This is worse than monolithic architecture as it creates dependency hell on a scale you can't even begin to fathom and useless outside of front end web dev.