Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
A second finn dice isn't really very good. Mind probe and force throw however are both amazing.

So far I've opened ~100 boosters and done some trading. I've got 2 Han, 3 Poe, 2 Falcons, 2 black ones, 2 of each legendary lightsabers, 2 thermal detonators, a Jabba, a one with the force and a commanding presence.

I got destroyed by my mates Luke + Launch Bay deck last night though. God drat Launch Bay is a lot of pressure when it hits the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Deviant posted:

What are the answers to Launch Bay? So far I see AT-ST and Force Throw?

Edit: And Surgical Strike

Pretty much. Otherwise your normal mitigation should work as long as you meet the requirements. If they have the battle field and roll it in first though it can be tough to stop.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
My FLGS ordered tons of stock in. I was talking to the owner and apparently he had more preorder demand for stock than any game he had sold previously.

He was saying that despite the demand, even if his suppliers could only get him half of what he ordered, he would have enough to cover all his preorders and then some.

I had 1.5 boxes on preorder but I was just able to walk into the store the other day and buy another box no problem. This is in Australia though so maybe we got more than our fair share.

e: Here is what I have after opening 99 boosters and trading with friends.

I'm only missing 7 legendary cards so far and out of the 10 I do have only 3 are single dice. I do have a third Poe I'm trying to trade though (17/34)

The only rare I have 0 of is the gaffi stick and then there are 8 others I only have 1 die for. (76/86)

I'm missing 4 uncommon cards to have a full play set of uncommons but I have at least one of everything. (80/84)

I have all the commons (116/116)

I only have 1 of each starter so I'm missing one Finn dice, a mind probe and a force throw. (25/28)

So I have 314/348 cards for a full play set of two of each card.

So that Stormtrooper deck is actually pretty doable for me.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 5, 2016

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Phrosphor posted:

Cool, all I need to do now is find a playgroup. Melbourne seems to have no games running (so far).

There area few stores around Melbourne (presuming that you are referring to the Australian Melbourne) that are supporting SWD a lot.

I'm going to be playing at Gatekeeper Games in North Fitzroy on a Thursday night and I'll probably squeeze a few games in on Tuesdays which is X-wing night. There is a good crew there that are pretty keen to play. There is also General Games in Malvern if you are on the other side of the city that I am pretty sure will have a good, regular crowd. A few of the guys I know through X-wing will definitely be playing there.

It's still early days for the game so it will be a while before the scene fully develops.

e: Gatekeeper is running a casual 3 week league starting this Thursday with one of those two player mats for the winner.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 5, 2016

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I imagine Games Lab in the cbd will have a destiny night too. They have a pretty big magic crowd and I'm sure there will be some crossover.

All I know is that destiny has been selling like hotcakes in Melbourne and I'm pretty sure we will have a good scene for it soon.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I've got a pretty disgusting Han + Rey deck made up. If you already have a holdout blaster or dl-44 on rey and another one in hand you can overwrite one with the other to get two actions. You then play scavenge with infamous to make it ambush to get the upgrade you overwrote back then play it again to bump yourself up to 3 more consecutive actions. You can now roll Rey and Han and resolve their dice before your opponent gets a turn. If you have another piece of ambush equipment in hand you could get yourself up to 4 turns and it would give you a chance to reroll your dice as well.

It's entirely possible to go from no characters activated to resolving 12+ damage late game. I killed a rebel trooper on the first turn before he got to activate.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

hanyolo posted:

Pulled off my Ace in the Hole to Crimelord to rolling the special after my opponent claimed for a 1st round kill on rey tonight :v: had 2 spare cards in my hand for rerolls as well just incase.

:feelsgood:

Deck was the Veers + Jango one I posted earlier but removed something I Can't remember for aces in the holes and an AT-ST for another crimelord

Got it off in the 3rd round in another game too, love the reaction of people who don't know its coming

Hi Jonesy, it's David the guy you crimelorded. If it isn't you then two people got crimelorded by very similar decks tonight.

What a loving game that was. 9 damage on Han turn one. Turn 2 Han kills Jango. Turn 3 and veers is half health but you pull out an ace in the hole crime lord for the win. Craziest game I've played by far.

ShowTime posted:

You shouldn't feel guilty. $90 is about what you should be paying, if you aren't trying to buy them off ebay. It's what I paid for all my boxes and is still more than what MiniatureMarket was selling them at ($86) for awhile.

Also, your store probably just had a box in the back leftover. All distributors are sold out right now, like you say. Ebay boxes are going for like $160 on average.

Edit:

So i'm trying to understand this more. You play a Holdout Blaster, then use the extra action to play another Holdout Blaster, then use that extra action to play a Infamous/Scavenge, putting Holdout Blaster back in your hand. Then you use that extra action to play the Holdout Blaster again, i'm assuming using the 2nd Holdout Blaster to pay for the first one. But you still only have 1 Holdout Blaster on the character and one extra action, right? I'm just trying to figure out what you are trying to do. After you activate Rey or Han using that extra action, your opponent gets to act, don't they? I'm just not seeing where the consecutive actions are coming from, because you are using all those actions to play the other cards and then the last one to activate a character.

g0del already covered this but it is the stacking of Rey's ability with ambush that gets you multiple unanswered actions. Hypothetically if you have a holdout blaster on rey, 2 infamous in play, a holdout blaster in hand, 2 DL-44s and two scavenges you could get 6 consecutive actions. I was reasonably consistently getting 3 or 4 though in a lot of games. 4 means you can roll rey and Han, reroll and then resolve damage. Usually you have a holdout blaster or two and/or some jet packs and DL-44s so you are often hitting between 8-12 damage with a good roll.

Bottom Liner posted:

How close is it to this list? I think they're going to be a staple combo in this core set. Rey's action economy enabling is really really good.

https://teamcovenant.com/star-wars-...campaign=buffer

They are similar. He is missing scavenge which is awesome because it let's you cycle the holdouts and DL-44s mid turn. I also don't run play the odds because I just don't find it necessary and it slows you down. My upgrades are pretty different too.

e: Han and the DL-44s have 3damage sides that cost one resource, and you want to be spending resources on upgrades early in the game before you start overwriting things and cycling them so the events I tried to keep cheap. Willpower is great for keeping things alive. Let the wookie win makes your opponent have to choose between potentially losing half their turn sometimes or putting there characters within striking range of an ambush combo.

I hard mulligan for holdout blasters and infamous because they just set you up for crazy unstoppable combos. DL-44s are nice to see but because they cost one more you won't get them popping until the second turn and this is a deck that wants to just hit hard from the get go. I have killed rebel troopers turn 1 before.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 8, 2016

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Bought two boosters at my xwing regionals and pulled Vader. Won a few more boosters in a destiny side event and pulled a Launch Bay.

Bought three boosters at my FLGS tonight and pulled Phasma and another Launch Bay.

This is only encouraging bad financial decisions to feed my addiction.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Yeah, ffg art sleeves are bad quality.

I am double sleeving everything in kmc perfect fits inside dragon shields.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Yeah aGoT has different versions of named characters. The sub-names are definitely FFG leaving themselves the option of different versions of characters.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

snuff posted:

In Europe stock seems to be fine, I know this doesn't help but it's a bit weird hearing about this low stock and seeing loads of booster boxes for sale.

We are just hitting the point now where stores are running out here in Melbourne, Australia. According to my FLGS they are expecting a big shipment in the first week of January though.

It's not like they haven't been selling either, boxes have been flying off the shelves like hotcakes.

I have personally had access to as much stock as I wanted to buy though, I'm only 9 legendary dice away from a full set of everything.

e: In other news my local store ran a 3 week casual league where they only counted the best 2 weeks you had out of the 3.

I won out of the 8 or 9 players that participated, but it was mostly through sheer volume of games played. I was usually one of the first to arrive and always the last to leave. You scored 2 points for a win, 1 for a loss and 1 for every different person you played.

Scored one of those sweet 2 player mats as the first prize.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 23, 2016

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I may have a serious addiction.

A store in the other side of the city just advertised they had a bunch of singles they had just restocked so now I'm picking up 8 of the 9 legendaries I'm missing. I would have grabbed the 9th if they had one for sale too. Buying all 9 legendaries worked out cheaper than buying another box anyway.

I'm now officially 1 dice away from having 2 of everything.

At least the temptation to buy boosters is gone now.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
It's interesting that the first tie breaker alone is damage done. Makes mill and control decks less viable especially with 35 minute rounds. You'll have to work pretty hard to get through your opponents deck fast enough.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
If you aren't milling cards of the top of the deck and you are discarding your opponents entire hand every single turn then you have to finish 6 turns to get through their whole deck. That's slightly over 5 minutes per turn and if your opponent plays slowly even a little bit, just thinking through their turn methodically, I can see it going to time no problem.

I played in a small tournament with 45 minute rounds where there wasn't a single mill deck, it was basically 100% aggro and most games took about 30-35 minutes to complete.

e: As people get better with the game it should become faster but there will always be slower players.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Because hyperloop doesn't always win. If it is in the winning position when the loop starts it wins, but if you are losing on tiebreakers the loop doesn't help much. It's also social suicide.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I went to my LGS for a prerelease, ended up getting 4 packs there. 3 were basically trash, the Delta 7, a generic astromech and supply Line but I got a tie pilot which is pretty good.

Played some games then someone mentioned another store that was having a prerelease in the city so we jumped on a tram.

Not many people turned up so after the 3 boosters I got for the event, I was able to buy 22 more! Pulled Obi Wan, Chewie's bowcaster, force speed and IG88. Slightly behind the curve on legendaries but I'm not complaining, in fact I'm loving stoked! Got eUnkar too which I was really hoping for.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Yeah, I'm very happy with force speed.

I was playing an eBala, Death trooper, TIE Pilot deck for most of the afternoon and it's strong. Not being able to remove Bala and the troopers ranged damage dice is brutal.

I beat a Han rey deck that got force speed and a vibro knife that they overwrote a holdout blaster for on rey first turn. So he had 3 actions before using force speed turn one.

I just rolled more damage.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Here you go

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 2, 2017

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I've been running something similar except eBala and a Tie Pilot instead of Jango. You don't have to worry about going fast if they can't remove your dice anyway.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Played in day 1a of destiny at world's today. Went 4-2 and came 19th out of 94 and made the second day.

One of the games I lost I had the damage to kill Bala on the table but I chose not to resolve it because he hadn't rolled Bala in. Gave my opponent the opportunity to use He Doesn't Like You and the end result was bala rolling something like 9 damage, standing up and hitting for another 3.

Brutal.

I'm not gonna get greedy again. If you can get a kill, just take it. It's not worth the risk.

I still nearly won that game too. Came close to milling and if I God rolled on the last round after he claimed with 2 rerolls I still would of had it. It was my error though and my opponent played super well. He ended up 5th overall.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Finished 24th at worlds. In my final game against Poe Rey all I had to was claim the battlefield to win as my next action. My played all in with a focus for lethal damage. I was literally one action away from making the cut.

e: my friend James is playing the Jabba Dooku on stream.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
We saw that and no one is sure. He might have just missed it, he was so focused on Jabba.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Yeah, that's my view of the meta at the moment too. Lukas did an interview with the Knights of Ren guys at worlds where he mentions he was surprised by how popular and powerful all the action cheating was, in particular how good Rey was. Now the second set was at the printers ages ago so there was no time to change things up but they basically doubled down on the action cheating in set 2 and it is going to be pretty intense for a while. Maz is just stupidly efficient at getting damage through that you cannot mitigate.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
To be fair action cheating makes sense from a design standpoint to avoid control becoming too oppressive. It was even pretty balanced in awakenings, only one rey made it to top 4 at worlds and didn't make the final. I worry that we have hit a tipping point with SoR but it won't kill the game. There is ample opportunity for new sets and erratas to get the balance right again and I have confidence that Lukas and FFG will be able to find it.

You have to remember Awakenings had an incredibly diverse meta for a new game with only a single set available. I played on the first day at worlds and there were 9 different character combinations on the top 8 tables during the last round of swiss. That is awesome for a game with such a small card pool.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

siggy2021 posted:

I have a store champs tomorrow and I have no idea what I'm going to play. I have a feeling there will be a lot of Poe/Maz and Palpatine, especially in our local group.

I think Poe/Maz is lame and doesn't look fun to play, and I'm missing too many Awakenings cards to make it work ( I have 0 Poes). I could technically do a Palp deck. I only have one Palp now, but I'm supposed to be getting one tomorrow. The risk is if that doesn't pull through then I'm not, plus I have no experience with it.

The deck I've played the most since SoR launched is eVader(SoR)/eKylo. That is what I was planning on bringing, but I'm worried that if I'm right about Moe/Palp then I won't have enough direct straight up remove to deal with their dice if I don't get the burst damage I need. I think I might practice a bit more with Vader/Raider tonight and see what feels right.

God this is so hard.

I'm going to one tomorrow too. I've got a full Poe maz built up but I'll play my ig88 + fn deck because it's more fun/I'm not an rear end in a top hat.

I did a bunch of testing against Poe maz tonight and even with bad opening hands I was able to come close to winning. Essentially, if Poe doesn't get his fast hands and I see a best defence early then I'm in with a really good chance to win. I never saw one in any of the games I played despite mulliganing my whole hand for them each time and one blow-out turn would have won me almost all of the test games.

God that deck is dumb though. So easy to pilot and stupidly efficient.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
So I've made it to the final table at the Australian National Championships. Game starts in about 15 minutes, if you search for general games on twitch you should be able to find the stream. I'm the one playing Anakin + Phasma, wish me luck!

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I was 7-1. I lost in the final sadly. I think I was one action away from a win in both games but I'll have to go back and watch the stream.

It's a big deal because the winner gets their flights to worlds next year payed for which is a lot of money from Australia. I'm pretty stoked to have gotten so close though.

Apparently I missed a chance to claim for lethal in my Thrawnkar match up in the semi final but I won anyway so it was fine.

Overall I'm really pleased with my run!

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

bowmore posted:

Changes are great (except for the Trap nerf)

Nah, the nerf was necessary. It was too swingy, if you played ranged against a mono red deck you could just get blown out way too easily. That meant the designers had to be really careful about the characters and guns they put in hero red. This reopens the design space again which is better for the long term health of the game.

It's good to see the designers being willing to make drastic changes to the game. Even if some of the nerfs are heavy handed it resets the meta and it'll be a little while until we settle back into the 'top' decks. Everything feels viable again, especially 4 character decks.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
It can potentially be worse against mill if they have discard sides showing that would otherwise go to waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Wezlar posted:

Draft is a very very slow format. Just so you're aware.

Yeah, games are much slower than normal because you aren't running heavily tuned, optimised decks. The draft itself adds a fair chunk of time and if you have never played the game before it will take even longer because you have to read all the cards. That being said, it is a very fun way to play the game.