Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I just paid $6 a pack for a full box because they only got two in and I made the drive to get there and buy it before I found out.

gently caress it this game owns and is probably worth it. I got a second Vader and Han but I'm still missing a bunch of poo poo I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I had a 25% off thing they let me use so it wasn't quite that bad. Somewhere around $150 off the top of my head. It was still pretty lovely, but I had driven an hour from work to get there and the dude kind of convinced me that this might be it as far as stock goes. I regret it slightly. Unfortunately it also seems to be the only place in the area where a decent amount of people actually meet up and play on a regular basis, so I'm stuck going there.

If I show up for the Tuesday open play, find out he has plenty of stock and brought his price back down I'll just continue to play there but not actually spend any money. gently caress em.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
One of the local guys is going to be running a league starting next week. Part of the league is encouraging people to play different decks, so they are going to have bonus points based on the following criteria:

Play Hero characters
Play Villain characters
Play a one color deck (gray is not a color)
Play a two color deck (gray is not a color)
Play a three color deck (gray is not a color)
Play 2 characters
Play 3 characters

It's 5 games/week and you get 1 point for each of the above you play. I plan on playing a Padme/Leia deck and a Padme/Trooper/Padawan mill deck. That get's me two color, three color, 2 characters, and three characters, so I just need a one color villain deck.

I was looking probably at blue villain, but there are so many expensive cards (gently caress $40 for ONE force choke). Anyone have any ideas?

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I just finished opening my third box and have still yet to acquire a single Sith Holocron. I think I'm just going to punt the idea of ever playing Blue Villains and sell my 3 Vaders and 6 Dookus.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

I assumed it's to get people to buy 2 of each starter instead of 1 each that you normally would.

If that is the case they should have made them all starters only. The box in opened today so had 2 Rey's staff, 2 BB8, 2 Jedi Robes, 2 Tie Fighters, and an infantry grenade off the top of my head. It was super depressing.

I'm glad I got it on the cheap with those Canadian exchange rates.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

ShowTime posted:

Did you get yours from 401games the other day? Mine has a tracking number but no update on the tracking number.

Yeah, 401 games. They were great all around, called me to make sure the address was right because USPS replaces my city with the much larger one next door. The tracking did take a bit to update, though.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I think there is still too little information for anyone to know what's going to happen and either selling your stuff now or holding onto it for later is a gamble either way. Awakenings could start shipping in June and end up with plenty of product for the rest of the year, or each store could get 3 boxes again. Rebellion could be the same size as Awakenings or it could be triple.

They said a single print run without ever defining what size the print runs will be, so everything is just speculation and nobody knows what is going to happen.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Sorry about your bad luck. We still have a minimum of 10 show up to our weekly league night, 15-20 show up to bi-weekly tournaments (depending on if we have actual prizes or not), and even had 2 brand new players this week at the league.

This is all at the one store I go to, I know of a few other stores that run various things but I can't devote all my time to gaming or my wife will murder me. The game isn't dead here and I'm still optimistic about the next release. Starters coming back into stock and the June refresh of Awakenings will hopefully breathe new life into the game and expand the player base.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

bowmore posted:

I'm loving Leia/Ackbar right now

It's one of my favorite decks to play. It can do huge bursts early on and throwing down trap or all in to do 10+ damage on round 2 or 3 is so much fun.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
So our local store league is wrapping up and top 8 are playing in a single elimination tournament to determine the winner. I was 7th seed and managed to place in the finals last night with Leia Ackbar.

This is roughly what I'm playing from memory. I made last minute changes before it started and don't have it in front of me.

BATTLEFIELD
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Frozen Wastes, Starkiller Base

CHARACTER
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
2x Admiral Ackbar
2x Leia Organa

UPGRADE
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
2x Scout
2x DH-17 Blaster Pistol
2x IQA-11 Blaster Rifle
2x Promotion
1x Comlink
2x Holdout Blaster

SUPPORT
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
1x Launch Bay

EVENT
ŻŻŻŻŻ
2x Defensive Position
2x Field Medic
2x Hit and Run
2x It's a Trap!
2x Rearm
2x Dug in
2x All In
2x Block
2x Dodge

First round was against 2nd seed, he was playing eDooku/eKylo. First game I managed to get off 6 quick damage and set the pace. He didn't roll for poo poo the entire game and both of his Holocrons were buried at the bottom of his deck. I ended up winning. Second game was a blowout in his favor. He had both Holocrons early and got mind probes out. I went 4 rounds without a single upgrade. Hardest hit was when he rolled both Mind Probe specials and a whole bunch of damage and I had no way to deal with it except pitch one of my five cards on a re-roll. Third game was very close, but I eeked out a win thanks to finally remembering Ackbar had an ability and him pitching cards left and right to try and save Dooku.

Second round was once again against eDooku/eKylo (thank god I decided to slot in blocks last minute), but this guy had a bit more control. He's also a very slow player and probably thinks way too much and second guesses himself to often. I managed to win the first two out of three, but both were nail-biters. Last game came down to the end of the decks. I rolled enough damage to finish Dooku off, but he had a dodge. Next round he had plenty to finish off Leia, but I had a block. I made a clutch call to Field Medic Leia at one point, assuming he had a Power of the Force or whatever the discard one was in his hand still. I put him in a corner, with enough damage, focus, and cards in hand to re-roll that there was almost no chance I couldn't either finish off Dooku or force him to run out of cards.

Overall it was great. I love playing this deck and even against primarily melee decks where you can't take advantage of It's a Trap it still functions consistently for big bursts. All In is a clutch card and combined with Hit and Run can be devastating. If I have both in my hand I'll often roll in Ackbar to see if I can get a focus, then Hit and Run Leia followed up by an all in to put the hurt on something without them being able to do anything about it. The only downside is not drawing guns early, which I'm sure the next set will take care of. I'm probably going to completely remove Launch Bay as it never sees play and even when it does I feel like it just slows down the deck too much with to little payout. Usually if I have five resources I'm willing to blow on a single card I've already won, or lost because I've been rolling too many resources.

Unfortunately due to scheduling conflicts the finals will take place on another day and I'm not allowed to make changes to the deck in between. The guy who was running the league had an artist make up and print some really nice unofficial alternate art cards as prizes. I'll post up some pictures of the ones I've won when I get home.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

How did your league work? I want to fire one up at my store and am trying to figure out a structure.

This was kind of our first run at it, so it's still a work in progress.

It was an 8 week league. Each week you could play up to 5 games with different individuals. A win was worth 2 points, a loss worth 1. All games had to be played at the FLGS, we had a specific day most people met but you could coordinate and play games whenever. The league was meant to be more casual and the person running it wanted to promote deck variety, so there were bonus points available each week - 1 point each for playing a 2 character deck, 3 character deck, one color deck, two color deck, three color deck, heroes, and villains. At the end of the 8 weeks the top 8 were seeded into a single elimination bracket.

We're discussing and planning the next league, which we plan on running after Spirit of Rebellion drops. There are talks of opening it up to home games and Tabletop Simulator, changing it from x games a week to y games over the course of 8 weeks, and the bonus point structure opening up way more with weekly bonuses and one time bonuses.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
My pre-release packs were ok, Unkar Plutt, Guavian Enforcer, and Vibroknife. I'll probably try out a Unkar/Jabba deck at some point and Vibroknife will probably get some good use. On the other hand I got 3 Awakenings packs from our league and opened up my second Captain Phasma, first Millennium Falcon, and third Hold-out blaster. I'm going to wait until the next wave of Awakenings comes out and hope prices on singles drop so I can fill in the last of my playset.

Played in the league finals with my Leia-Ackbar deck while we were there. Managed to win the first one, then lost two close ones in a row. He was playing Rey-Han and did a really good job at avoiding It's a Trap and I never rolled well enough for All In to do much.

I never got around to posting the cool unofficial alternate art cards we got as prizes. So here you go.

First place also got a Vader, but I don't have a picture because I lost.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Hauki posted:

So this game sounded kinda cool back in December, but I was never able to find actual product for sale and apparently I still can't to this day unless I want to pay several times MSRP. Any word if this will ever be remedied, or should I just move on?

I've seen starters back in stock locally. The next set is being released in May, and a reprint of the first set is coming in June. Supposedly both of those prints will be much much larger than the first.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I think this is going to become my new Leia deck once I can get my hands on a few SoR cards:

BATTLEFIELD
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Maz's Castle, Takodana (Spirit of Rebellion #155)

CHARACTER
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
2x Leia Organa, Born Leader (Awakenings #28)
2x Mon Mothma, Skilled Politician (Spirit of Rebellion #27)

UPGRADE
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
2x DH-17 Blaster Pistol (Awakenings #54)
2x IQA-11 Blaster Rifle (Awakenings #55)
2x Promotion (Awakenings #56)
2x Holdout Blaster (Awakenings #63)
2x A180 Blaster (Spirit of Rebellion #32)
2x Overkill (Spirit of Rebellion #33)
2x Wingman (Spirit of Rebellion #126)

ŻŻ

EVENT
ŻŻŻŻŻ
2x Defensive Position (Awakenings #104)
1x Field Medic (Awakenings #105)
2x Hit and Run (Awakenings #106)
2x It's a Trap! (Awakenings #107)
2x Rearm (Awakenings #109)
2x Dug in (Awakenings #139)
2x All In (Awakenings #152)
1x Block (Awakenings #153)
2x Dodge (Awakenings #155)

It's only swapping in 6 cards. You lose Ackbar's damage sides, but pick up an extra focus side and Mon Mothma's ability is pretty good as well. Overkill is just nuts. Wingman with Hit and Run and All In will be a crazy turn. I'm not sure how much I like giving up Frozen Wastes, removing that character die has been huge so far, but gaining more consistent weapon draws and combo draws might be even better. A-180 blaster was added just because it's another Red gun.

It looks like all of the cards were added to TTS, so hopefully I'll get some playtime and tweak the deck a bit.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
They had very poor pre-order sales from distributors. When nobody seems to want to buy your product you don't decide to just mass produce it.

They didn't just go "eh, we don't know how this will do, let's not print enough." They had numbers to back it up.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Flgs said that the stock for the fourth will be light, but by the end of the month he will have a ton.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Hauki posted:

In other news, I spent way too much money on this game this week, but hopefully I'll have at least a couple actual semi-competitive decks by the end of it. Plus a couple of rad new deckboxes and enough sleeves to last me another year or more.

Oh, unrelated but I remember someone saying characters have to be sleeved differently from the rest of your deck in tournaments, is that true, and what's the reasoning behind it?

It is true, don't know that they ever said why but I'm guessing since characters and battlefields aren't part of your deck they don't need to be sleeved the same. I could see someone slipping a card in behind their battlefield, pulling the battlefield out and putting the card at the top of the deck.

I've opened 2 decent boxes so far and a handful of packs. I've got another box coming in a X-Wing trade hopefully tuesday. I think after that and a few trades I should be mostly done aside from a handful of legendaries I can pick up when the prices drop.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
TTS is a free for all lawless land. The way it's set up there really is no rule enforcement, it's just a mod someone made for TTS. There is no matchmaking, you either put up a room and wait for someone to join or you join a room already up.

That being said, I play with mostly random people on TTS and I've had mostly positive experiences. I don't think I've ever run into a person that straight didn't know the rules. There have been a few instances of certain card interactions having to be explained, especially with the new set, but for the most part things go pretty smooth. It's a great platform for testing out new ideas.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Supply issues aren't quite fixed. We should be getting a second wave of the new set in a week and a reprint of Awakenings in June.

Leia Luke probably wouldn't be great since Leia is all ranged and Luke is all melee. Leia goes really well in mono red with Ackbar or Mothma. I'm partial to mothma because of the extra focus side. Get wingman, all in, it's a trap, hit and run, and a bunch of red guns and you are pretty much set. Throw in a little survivability with field medic, dug in, and defensive position and you have a decent aggro deck. It's also fairly cheap since it doesn't require much if any legendaries.

I haven't really played luke and don't see him in my area much, but I've heard he pairs well with Maz now.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I have a store champs tomorrow and I have no idea what I'm going to play. I have a feeling there will be a lot of Poe/Maz and Palpatine, especially in our local group.

I think Poe/Maz is lame and doesn't look fun to play, and I'm missing too many Awakenings cards to make it work ( I have 0 Poes). I could technically do a Palp deck. I only have one Palp now, but I'm supposed to be getting one tomorrow. The risk is if that doesn't pull through then I'm not, plus I have no experience with it.

The deck I've played the most since SoR launched is eVader(SoR)/eKylo. That is what I was planning on bringing, but I'm worried that if I'm right about Moe/Palp then I won't have enough direct straight up remove to deal with their dice if I don't get the burst damage I need. I think I might practice a bit more with Vader/Raider tonight and see what feels right.

God this is so hard.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I've been toying around with a mono yellow deck with IG-88 that focuses on shields and armor plating. It's been doing alright. The biggest key is to hold disarms to get rid of vibroknife if you are playing against a melee deck.

With personal shield/armor plating/ammo belt IG-88 can take a lot of damage before going down.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Well store champs went poorly for me. I attribute it all to one very stupid mistake in my second game that probably cost me the game and put me on tilt. We were about 6 turns into the second round and I decided to claim and turn babby Vader to a special. It was almost immediately then that I realized my opponent hadn't rolled in his Han yet. I had a hand full of removal and I felt god drat stupid. I really need to slow down and think before making rash decisions like that.

That being said, our top 4 was very interesting:

1st: eJabba/eDooku
2nd: eHan/eRey
3rd/4th: eDooku/eVentress
3rd/4th: ePalpatine

The eJabba/eDooku deck is disgusting and I've played against it a few times now. He ended the final game with 3 specials on mind probe and cunning in two rounds with only Jabba alive.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Thermal paint is going to be bonkers on Sabine.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
We have a pretty good environment near me. Probably about 15 regulars and I think we all have full playsets, or pretty close to it (I'm missing a few legendaries from Awakenings). We have a bi-weekly event that is usually a Q3 tourney, and a couple of other stores sprinkle events throughout the month. Our season 3 league just wrapped up and we are on a break from that, but the fourth should start up in a few weeks.

We've had a couple of new players come in recently, but it definitely is stagnating in that regard. That said, the players we have are all great and everyone gets along with everyone else with the exception of one guy that we all tolerate. The new people are happy because they get showered in cards at events because a couple of us open up stuff we all have a million of and just hand them out to whoever wants them.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
There are 4 or 5 people in our group that are working from the FLGS tomorrow as a work from home day so they can knab whatever it is if it's something good. I think you are all underestimating the lengths nerds will go through to get their star wars fix.

I'm also really jealous that we have someone already out of the office tomorrow so I can't do the same thing it sounds like a blast.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

pbpancho posted:

So this happened today. Took significant card luck and a decent bit of dice luck too. Won on turn 3 having killed 2x TIE Pilots and 2x FO Stormtroopers, plus another TIE Pilot after an Endless Ranks. All this was in play, although the 2nd U-Wing would have bounced to my hand at the end of the round. Was good for 31 damage all told that round.

Can anyone figure out how I got it all played? Never fear though, this is far from typical. The very next game I lost Hera and Maz by turn 3 :( Probably my favorite of the decks we've been using at NOVA Open, it just plays so different.

I haven't sat down and done the math, but I'm assuming quad jumpers were involved. Maybe our only hope as well, or I think I saw a new card at some point but I don't remember what it was. Either way it had to involve some lucky draws.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Keep in mind nobody has any idea what the rotation is going to be like right now. As far as product availability goes, it seems to depend on your area. I can get a ton of Awakenings right now, but SoR isn't quite as plentiful.

My recommendation would be to wait for EaW and maybe buy a box. Poke around at swdestinydb.com and see what kind of deck(s) you might want to build and price them out from there. You can get the vast majority of common/uncommons/rares for dirt cheap. There are a few money rares, such as vibroknife, and legendaries range from a couple of bucks to 50+.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Does anyone know if it's possible to get those two player mats ffg uses at demos? The one for spots for all the cards? I worked gencon demoing destiny and a million people asked if they could buy them. I thought it would be pointless since they only handled two characters a piece, but now that we're getting ready to do a learn to play event at our FLGS I realize having a couple would be super helpful.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

pbpancho posted:

No, there's currently no plans to make those a product.

Source: I'm the guy that hired you at GenCon. :)

That's what I was afraid of and I figured that out a little while ago after putting two and two together :)

If I come back next year, and I hope to, I'll resist the urge to shout SA memes at you.

Ultiville posted:

I believe Inked and the other custom playmat sites have options for multiple sizes - you could probably get one made that way if you just want a few for the LGS. You'd have to do the graphic design yourself, of course.

Yeah, that is far too much work though. :effort:

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
One of the local stores that I pre-ordered from is doing a midnight release and giving a huge box discount on 3+ boxes, but there is no way in hell I'm staying there until midnight or later then driving 40 minutes home and coming to work the next day.

Another store that I like better is doing 79.99 boxes tomorrow all day. I don't want to cancel my pre-order, but I also would love to save a bunch of money.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Thrawn/Unkar and 9's were two decks that were completely unfun to play against and, with 9's at least, incredibly overpowered compared to the rest of the pool.

Good riddance to both of the decks.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
So Friday we had a charity event where you could donate canned food to get certain bonuses and bypass certain deck restrictions:

Play more than 30 cards - 1 can per 2 cards (Max 3 cans)
Play more than 30 points - 1 can per 2 points (Max 3 cans)
Ignore color restirctions for deck building - 3 cans
Play hero and villian characters on the same team - 3 cans
Start each game with a shield on each character - 1 can per character on your team
Start each game with an extra resource - 1 can (Max 1 can)
Deal 1 unblockable damage to each of your opponent's characters before the game starts - 4 cans (Max 4 cans)
Choose 1 card from your deck to be in your starting hand each game - 1 can (Max 2 cans)
Add 1 to the value of your dice during the rolloff each round - 1 can (Max 3 cans)
Draw an extra card into your starting hand after you mulligan - 1 can (Max 2 cans)

It was a blast. Breaking the 30 point rules and starting with specific cards in your hand gets crazy. I ended up playing Daddy Vader/Seventh Sister and went 5-1 to win. Someone was playing a crazy Sabine/Jango deck. I must have killed Jango about 8 times because of god drat second chance. The only reason I pulled through and won was he couldn't keep up with having actually upgrades to pump out damage and I had a Seventh Sister with 2 Shotos and 2 ancient lightsabers left in my deck that I kept looping. Game probably went for an hour+, but he eventually conceded when I had managed to get 3 shields and fully heal sister. It probably could have went on forever, though.

Another notable deck was a guy playing a 4 character list (can't remember the exact characters), and starting with a Sonic Cannon and Imperial Backing every game. Guaranteed turn 1 Cannon is hard to deal with, especially when he has a tie pilot out there. I barely squeaked that one through.

I'd highly recommend toying around with formats, especially when charity is involved.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
We did a draft on Sunday and At Peace won me a game. I didn't even remember that was a card before that day.

Draft owns.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I love destiny, but I wish it was run by anyone else. Between date fuckery, having no idea when the next set is coming out, and flip flopping on draft errata rulings I'm getting irritated. On top of that they refuse to post rulings from emails somewhere and just continue responding only by email.

They have a good thing going here and seem to be intent on continually loving it up.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I got to play one sealed event, the other got postponed due to weather. We'll probably do some drafts too. At the end of the month we're doing a Trilogy tourney. I'm very excited about doing trilogy stuff. Cutting down the card pool is great and losing all of the staple cards we've had for over a year makes deck building interesting again.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Hauki posted:

So we just got the lowdown on our regionals - $20/person entry, only the FFG-provided kit for prize support and no pre-registration.

I’m pretty frustrated with the above for a variety of reasons that I won’t dig into now, but out of curiosity does anyone know what the wholesale cost for those kits is? I’ve heard ~$150-200 for the standard kit.

The impression I’m getting is that this store only took the event to make a quick buck with minimal effort and has zero interest in the game or the community, so I’m curious how close my napkin math is on this.

The no-pre-reg thing is also bugging me (and biting them in the rear end), as we had a number of players talking about driving in from out of state, but no one wants to drive 300-450 miles for poo poo prize support and no guarantee of a seat in the first place.

/rant

I played in the Rochester Regional yesterday. It was $20, they gave away a poo poo load of packs, hundreds of dollars in store credit, had promos from old kits that were just a here take this please situation, and were doing raffles occasionally for other prizes.

They may be an outlier as I highly doubt that much is typical, but it sounds like you're getting hosed.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
While the meta is in a good place, doing card errata isn't always about something being good. Sometimes a card is so un-fun to play against (a Negative Play Experience) that it's beneficial to the game to tone it down. Take for example Hyperspace Jump.

Off the top of my head the #1 card I'd like to see something done with is Running Interference. Not because it's running rampant through the meta, but because it's completely un-fun to play against. Even the people I know that play the card a lot agree that it's a little too much and brings the game down.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
It's really cool having absolutely no idea when the next set is coming, no clue when events like store Champs will kick off, and now online events (Artificery) shut down.

Lots of people in my area have died off recently, and we never really recovered from the Spirit of Rebellion Era in the first place. The only good thing so far is that I've met a bunch of cool people I can play other games with!

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

I haven't played in a while, even though I love the game. I have almost a full set (plus some extras) of the first set, and a lot of the second set. Trying to sell them in the local groups but no one's biting. Are those cards still usable?

I'm still a member of the Destiny discussion group on Facebook, and in the past two days there's been some war going on where people are shitposting and the admins are fighting and changing the title to shitposty things. Today it was changed to "FYAD: Game Dead So What".

There are a handful of cards from both those sets that still have some value. They rotate out of standard after this block finishes (2 sets left) and the next block starts. After that, the value could easily tank, but who the hell knows. Also, that rotation could happen anywhere from early next year to never.

That particular discussion group was basically murdered when an admin decided to step down and foolishly gave someone else admin and then immediately left. On Facebook you can't remove an admin until you've been an admin for 7 days, so all hell has broken loose. It's honestly been the most fun I've had in a Destiny group in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Store champs might bring things around, but I don't think it will ever hit the point that it was at during the first set. At least not around here. A new set will bring some life into it if/when it gets released.

The good news is they finally decided to start posting rules questions and answers in threads in their forums instead of emailing them, so at least we have a show of progress and maybe things can get better down the road.