Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Did a demo last friday during FNM for my buddy's store. Gave out a random promo for those that tried destiny. All the magic players loved it and started raving to eachother.

Looks like my Thursday night game night will have a lot more players than expected!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't have many contacts yet as far as Destiny goes, but I've heard of Pandemonium from Magic.

FFG did have to approve stores getting prerelease kits. Stores aren't afraid of rubbing FFG the wrong way yet, I don't think. FFG is going to have to fire some warning shots if they don't want stores to walk all over them when it comes to hoarding product to sell at inflated prices, applying for kits and selling the promos online, etc.

They could nicely alleviate the issue by providing enough stock so stores that want to run events actually can run them. Still my #1 gripe for this game is the lack of product. Hopefully once SoR fully drops we don't have a stock issue again but I'm doubtful that there won't be any shortage.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Played in my first draft today with some... rules that needed tweaking.

Went 2-1 and my loss was literally we both milled eachother and he got the claim.

We had a guy get two packs for prizes and pull an Emperor and Force speed. Holy shitballs luck!

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I swore of this after never once getting a single booster pack during release for months but gently caress if I don't miss these big chunky dice. Is supply actually sane yet or is it still impossible to find boosters?

I've finally found Awakenings to work on that set. Much better for the stock in this game.

Working on a few decks right now, thinking im going to finish up my Emo twins when I can. Buddy and I split a box and drafted the cards which was fun. I ended up with 2x Sith holocrons since he already had some.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

I gotta make a comment on the past few pages talks of Errata and changes.

I hate that they had to makes sweeping changs, but with a few of the cards I was accidentally exposed to from the player beta groups, these changes were needed especially for future balance (I'm not in a playtest group myself. Was visiting a friend he pulled out some stuff and went OH poo poo a few minutes later when I was like where the gently caress did you print these from?)

Wizards of the coast makes errors which they are fairly conservative in resolving issues until after sets have rotated. They learned the hard way through the years what some killer combos can do to the player base in the short term. The 2 year rotation of sets was a great idea for standard there and gets people to buy new cards all the time. Creating different play styles and banning X Y Z cards from different rules sets was also a great way to let people value some of their older cards but keep the newer meta fresh and in a lot of cases, more carefree.

Destiny really needs to be 3 sets a year with maybe a new 2 player starter set yearly. Honestly with Awakenings set having such a low print volume I could get my hands any cards for a few months. Then the 2nd set having some real expensive meta I couldn't even compete with people due to the card scarcity. Now I have a pile of cards I haven't played with in a few months. I love the game but my local community got burned by FFG for a few things which we are FINALLY getting some local playgroups getting together weekly again. Hopefully this Friday I'll get to play once again

Really it's how companies are upfront with their players, innovate and handle the growing pains that I look for in a TCG. I got burned bad by Blizzard on the WoW tcg, but these games really are a wallet vacuum if you aren't careful

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Just hold onto all the cards! Oh wait I've still got boxes of the SW CCG from Decipher buried in a closet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

gently caress those guys something fierce.

I run 16+ people events in games that I'll give prize support out even if the event is free. My LGS's know how to treat people here which makes it easier for event organizers like me to get things done.

I mean gently caress, we did an Xwing tourny where we BRONZED the Tantive IV to make a trophy. I think we charged $10(might have been more) a head and Had something like 90 people in the state compete in local stores then top 12 got to compete in a 2nd event for the trophy rights. We basically have the Trophy go to the winner's homestore to sit and give bragging rights.

Destiny events we basically have been doing free to $5 entry unless its a draft. All the stores I've drafted at have given us 30%+ discounts on packs and then used a tourny kit for prizes with added packs.

$25 a head and giving nothing? That's bullshit. Tournaments aren't to make money off of, it's to build a community and get customers in the door to buy product.