Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Where the hell did you buy this stuff Deviant? Preordered CSI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah stores in the US were getting 1/4th what they ordered or even put on a delayed release schedule apparently going as late as January. Screws them hard when stores down the road got plenty of stock in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Deviant posted:

I don't have those cards, it's just a test deck. I have like, a starter and two boosters that i got from CCG2`

Which led to a fun conversation:

:geno:: "How much SW:Destiny can you sell me?"

:spergin:: "None, sold out."

:geno:: "Oh ok thanks anw-"

:spergin:: "We have three boxes we're holding for a tournament next week."

:geno:: "Oh...okay."

:spergin:: "We'll have more eventually, though."

:geno:: "So will Cool Stuff, and they have better prices. Bye."

Note: Cool Stuff *IS* my FLGS.

This is David doofus I know that

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm thinking about making a full proxy set for testing/casual play and then just buying singles for the deck I want to play at tournaments, since it looks like the Orlando area will have a healthy scene with 5+ stores doing OP events.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Deviant posted:

yeah i know and i dont understand why you asked then im confused

Just wondering if you were able to preorder from them. It was never available for me then automatically went to "email me when back in stock".

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I honestly think that is FFG's strategy with this game and why they went with the CCG model. They are directly competing with MtG with the only franchise that can possibly stand against it, and the mechanics and design and inclusion of dice are all super modern and fresh in a way that excites people tired of MtG's outdated mechanics. The CCG model lets them cultivate a second hand market, limited play, and "value" in collections that LCGs lack, all things that foster a community and scene around games. I hope they crush it, Wizards of the Coast is poo poo and MtG is way past it's prime.

Any word on set frequency or competitive rotation of sets down the road?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Awakenings is this core set. So 3 a year.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, and if early markets are anything to go by, even the more expensive decks will be very cheap if bought in singles vs any competitive MtG deck. It does seem pretty manageable and easy to keep up with, especially with trading and the villain/hero stuff leting you get rid of whichever side you're not as interested in to secure more cards for your side.

This is assuming that Asmodee can get off their asses and keep up with demand. They really shat the bucket on this. A local shop said today that they were just told by their distributor that the next wave of shipments will be almost entirely starter sets and no boosters. That's garbage.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 5, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a general turn by turn strategy? I've played and understand Magic but never got into advanced things. What should I be looking out for, when shouldn't I do this or that action?

Are you familiar with the terms card advantage, tempo, and action economy? SWD seems especially focused on the later two, but with 30 card decks card advantage will be big as well, just like it is in Hearthstone.

Card advantage is counting the cards in your hand/deck vs your opponents. If they discard something for a reroll and get bad value out of it, that's positive card advantage for you. If you have a hand full of cards and they only have one or two, you have more options and answers, which is another form of card advantage. Hence, drawing cards, making an opponent discard, or other ways of manipulating the decks (milling their decks before they draw cards) all create card advantage.

Tempo is probably the biggest concept in SWD due to the back and forth design of the game. It very often feels like one person is on the offense and the other person is responding to them, meaning the "attacking" player is in control of the tempo. Playing fast aggressive decks is the most simple way of controlling the tempo, unless they can stabilize and steal it via control type cards or you run out of steam by burning through stuff too quickly (losing card advantage).

Action economy goes hand in hand with tempo since the game is back and forth. Any card that lets you take another action or multiple actions is very powerful because it's basically "take another turn" in this game. That lets you control the tempo and pull off some big combo plays.

So basically, try to be on the attack/executing your deck strategy instead of reacting/defending, keep card advantage in mind, and try to make efficient use of your actions.

A SWD specific tip would be to include lots of ways to alter dice, both your own and your opponent's. And for deck building, try to keep the majority of your cards in the 0-2 cost range, anything 3+ should be one ofs or added very rarely.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 6, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Gumdrop Larry posted:

All of the elements are different enough from something like Magic to make me totally unsure how to build decks in terms of general card type, resource cost curve, effects, etc. though. Looking forward to figuring everything out over the holidays because it seems like a cool game.

Starting deck building guide:

2 colors (mono is too restricted with the current card pool I think)

~23 cards in the 0-2 cost range

15-20 dice seems to be normal

keep expensive cards with situational use to one of's, and liberally use them for rerolls

include lots of dice manipulation in your deck no matter what archetype you're building

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I've got a pretty disgusting Han + Rey deck made up. If you already have a holdout blaster or dl-44 on rey and another one in hand you can overwrite one with the other to get two actions. You then play scavenge with infamous to make it ambush to get the upgrade you overwrote back then play it again to bump yourself up to 3 more consecutive actions. You can now roll Rey and Han and resolve their dice before your opponent gets a turn. If you have another piece of ambush equipment in hand you could get yourself up to 4 turns and it would give you a chance to reroll your dice as well.

It's entirely possible to go from no characters activated to resolving 12+ damage late game. I killed a rebel trooper on the first turn before he got to activate.

How close is it to this list? I think they're going to be a staple combo in this core set. Rey's action economy enabling is really really good.

https://teamcovenant.com/star-wars-...campaign=buffer

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

No pretty sure it's a flat policy no matter what. Too easy to cleverly mark card backs otherwise.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Only in more obvious ways. Cardboard can be altered in much more subtle ways than thin shiny plastic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Covenant set is a joke anyways since it only includes 1x each legendary. That's why I decided to just go the proxxy set/singles route.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ShowTime posted:

It actually wasn't and still isn't a joke as its essentially 3 boxes of stuff presorted. If you bought a saga set and parceled it out, you'd make at least $100 off it. All the legendary cards/dice add to up to over $300, even now when prices are starting to drop. Then you have all the rares. You also have 2 starters worth of stuff and some of the starter cards are selling for $6-$8.

The saga sets don't include the starter sets, except for the starter cards that can also be found in packs. Team Covenant has confirmed that on Twitter.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You are saying you can turn the $300 set into $400, which is just not true. Even if you sell every legendary (which will take a lot of time and effort), the rares and comons/uncommons are going to be increasingly hard to move due to the rarity distribution and small card pool.

My point is that buying the saga set is not a great investment since you still have to buy the chase legendaries to get the second set or dice, which are obviously the most expensive parts of this game. In a month or so you'll be able to buy a playset of commons/uncommons for <$25, and I'm betting the second hand prices on legendaries and rares will dive quickly once demand is met. Yes, it's a good deal compared to trying to buy a playset of everything in boosters, but still not the best way to go about building a full set.

Starters x 2 (or 4 if you want 2x singles) - $25/$50

Covenent set - $300

Second playset of legendaries - $170+,

That's a minimum of $495, but once common/uncommon playsets pop up you'll be able to build a complete playset much cheaper, I would guess more in the $200-$250 range.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 9, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ShowTime posted:

How is that not true? I essentially did it. Things have started to drop, yes, but I can show you my Ebay completed sales of rares if you don't believe me. I sold each rare for at least $9, with some going as high as $17. After shipping and fees that is still plenty.

Also, PennyArcade has a comic out about Star Wars Destiny

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2016/12/09/as-father-and-son

You turned a $300 saga set (before shipping and taxes) into $400? I know you can sell off everything, but my point was that buying the covenant set is not the best way to actually build a full playset since you're still short a lot of expensive cards, it doesn't include starters, and in a few weeks the bulk of the set will be dirt cheap and buying singles will come out cheaper overall, by a lot.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 9, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You probably missed the only time where flipping boosters will be profitable overall, yeah. As demand catches up prices will plummet and with the cheapest boxes being ~86 and averaging 6 legendaries per box it's going to be hard to break even over the long haul. This is good for players, bad for resellers. The game doesn't have enough chase rares at the kind of rarity or card pool size that would create any crazy prices like MtG.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah that would still work well and how most people approach these games. Also, check for local game shops and gaming Facebook groups to find people that are doing buying/selling/trading, if you're in a larger area it should be pretty easy to move stuff without dealing with ebay or shipping.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hahaha I commented on that same post and just said lollll

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Look, he said he's not getting into a pissing match about it ok :colbert:

Anyways, the Rey/Han list is definitely getting popular, in large part to being easy to build since it uses Rey and it's got an easy to pull off strategy. Any good counters, or any other lists people are really enjoying? I'm trying to figure out who to run with Poe because vehicles seem really fun.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

3 Ttormtrooper 1 Tusken? What are you running with them and what's the general idea? I've been surprised by the amount of burst damage that can be setup in this game so far so I've been weary of low hp characters getting gibbed super fast.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Can you consistently get Endless Ranks off?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ShowTime posted:

This game is fairly easy to proxy play. Its been done in MTG for decades and you can do it in this game. All you need is a printer; there are pictures of the cards out there. All cards with dice are just charts with d6s if you really get down to it. Just make sure each d6 is discernible for when you roll a bunch at once and you can play it like that until you can buy more stuff. Gonna make playtesting for tournaments pretty easy.

I just pulled the images from swdestinydb.com but if anyone knows of any higher res images let me know. I made some pdf templates of 9 cards per page which is near perfect.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Blazing Zero posted:

a lot of card games could be expressed as magic, but ______. sw:d looks kinda like magic commander but with dice

Only if you abstract it down a lot or go by strictly table appearance and ignore all mechanics. The FFCCG does look a lot closer to MtG, Destiny is about as radically different as I've seen barring the coop LCGs.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Local places either got no cards, or sold out within 2 hours. I might as well just give up this stupid game. Hard to keep interest when you can't even get the game.

Yeah, like I said earlier (and someone disputed), they're really making GBS threads the bed here and it's killing some scenes before they can get rolling. People got their starters, found interest in the game, couldn't get their hands on boosters, and don't want to wait a month to start the game, especially with the holiday season and getting a lot of other gaming gifts.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I can share my printable pdfs for proxxying if it's not too :filez: The card images come straight from FFG's site, I just put them into a template.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This is what they look like (but higher res).

There's two pages to see them all:

https://app.box.com/s/g106nrnhfq118efk88hhgnp2x5jll49i/2/15040329172

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I may have a serious addiction.

A store in the other side of the city just advertised they had a bunch of singles they had just restocked so now I'm picking up 8 of the 9 legendaries I'm missing. I would have grabbed the 9th if they had one for sale too. Buying all 9 legendaries worked out cheaper than buying another box anyway.

I'm now officially 1 dice away from having 2 of everything.

At least the temptation to buy boosters is gone now.

alright, tell us how much you've put in to it for :science:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Multiple decks? Other than that, no.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

January but they'll sell out instantly everywhere :downs:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pretty cool deck/dice/token box I found on Etsy. It has a lid too, just not pictured

https://www.etsy.com/listing/487368506/fate-tournament-deck-box-destiny?ref=shop_home_active_1

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

SphericalDan posted:

Swiss rounds are single games and only 35 minutes long. Can't wait to start playing in some tournaments at my lgs.

:psyduck: really not understanding that decision with regards to this as a competitive game. Just do Bo3/1 hour.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ultiville posted:

FFG has a long history of doing stupid tournament setups for no reason I can determine other than wanting to reinvent the wheel. I'd hoped that they'd avoid that for Destiny, since it's not got any of the issues that sort of justified the weirdness of their other systems, but nope, they apparently decided it was critical that people not be able to get draws, so now there's all sorts of arcane end-of-time stuff that favors certain deck types, and no need for it. One of the big advantages of Swiss is that it's okay for people to get draws! Welp.

Not that it's going to stop me from playing in tournaments if I get the chance, I really enjoy the game. And I'd still play Armada tournaments, where the scoring system is just a catastrophe. I just really wish they'd start doing sensible things with their organized play.

Thank you for explaining more of what I was complaining about with their choice of bo1. FFG could have a legit MtG competitor here but not if they don't build and support a tournament scene appropriately.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ultiville posted:

I actually disagree on that point and think BO1 is largely fine for a game without sideboards. The lack of draws (apparently based on wanting to avoid "collusion") is a much bigger deal because it influences how you have to think about playing any game that looks like it has a chance of going to time, and biases some strategies over others. It also makes me just shudder as a judge, because policing slow play is one of the most difficult and obnoxious things to do, and this system frequently rewards it. I also think 35 minutes is too short for the round.

Insofar as there's a problem with BO1, it is that usually people want to do it with more Swiss rounds (the MLPCCG, which bizarrely has a small but dedicated competitive scene, does it this way) which seems rational on the surface but doesn't really work for smaller events. It's fine for larger ones, though. It also does increase variance, of course, but Swiss already reduces that since you've got a few losses to give, more if you do more rounds, and the elimination rounds are BO3. So I think that aspect is mostly fine.

That said, at the end of the day, if you want to have a competitive scene for your CCG, the more you diverge from Magic, the more likely it is you alienate some of those players, as you point out, even if their objections might not be entirely fair. So all things being equal, you probably just want to crib from the DCI. It's certainly a problem that, all things being equal, FFG seems to want to actively avoid doing anything anyone else has ever done before, sometimes including themselves: the Game of Thrones LCG, for example, uses completely different points and things than Destiny for no (to me) apparent reason, including their "modified win" nonsense.

Yeah I agree with all your points, and Bo1 is ok if it meant more rounds of Swiss, and my comment was more of a short way of complaining about all of this and FFG's tournament structure choices across their organized play.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

especially when it stifles a meta

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Net decking is essential if you plan on playing tournaments, not so you can play the popular decks, but so you can know what to expect and how to beat it. This game has a wide enough design space that I think the meta will be pretty wide and healthy, but you should still know what to expect.

If you're playing casually then yeah, ignore the tournament scene and enjoy building your own meta with your group.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone have success or fun with eKylo/Darth?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

You guys really think there's a this massive number of people that are sitting there going "welp, couldn't buy the game in December, guess I give up and just won't play for ~reasons~ when it's available in January." lol

Uh yeah, I know of one local shop that already stopped their weekly nights for Destiny because of the shortage and falling interest. The game isn't dead because of it, but it drat sure hurt the launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

If there really were manufacturing issues, that's a different story, but isn't a failure in their distribution or of the game as a whole, as you seemed to imply.

Literally no one said the game was a failure or dead. We said the launch issues hurt it, which is absolutely true.