Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Getting off break, so I don't have time to read through the thread yet, but I heard on House of Cards of all places that Walmart is de facto subsidized by the government because they pay workers so little/give them so few hours they qualify for assistance.
Is that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Thank you for the answers about my Amazon question. I guess I'm just such a Northeasterner that I don't truly understand the concept of "middle of nowhere".

It's called "Ohio". :rimshot:

Middle of nowhere: any place that's landlocked, without access to the Great Lakes or the oceans. Population density is irrelevant.
(Yes, it's just my personal opinion, but I'll be damned if the city I live in is going to qualify as "somewhere")

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Horseshoe theory posted:

Speaking of Sears, it appears that Lampert is planning on stripping the last valuable asset of note, the Kenmore brand, for $400 million, along with another $80 million for Sears Home Services, which caused the stock price to crash about 13% to $1.59.

My first (and until June, my only) AC was a Kenmore, and lasted me fourteen years before I required something more portable.
Gonna be a shame when they're gone; I couldn't tell you another brand worth buying.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Gonna be another scorcher!
:(

Oh, oh it was.
(Legit glad my cat is okay while I'm at work)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why in the world would you belive some extremely outlandish story about what schools do based on some guy on the internet saying it?

and then add your own weird part about "there was a lawsuit! I blame lawsuits for this thing I just heard about!"

Uh, I'm no theologist, but uh... aren't muslims all supposed to be facing the same direction (towards Mecca) when they pray?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

im depressed lol posted:

This sounded insane to me, but it really is 5% of the retail market. But according to this techcrunch article it's quite a different story online.

The figures are kind of weird to compare though as I'm sure "e-commerce" sales includes Prime Memberships themselves and various other digital content. Maybe even server time?

https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/13/amazons-share-of-the-us-e-commerce-market-is-now-49-or-5-of-all-retail-spend/

Edit: For clarity, this is just a post highlighting how shocked I am at Amazon's share online, and how small that slice is compared to the whole of retail. This is not a cheap semantic shot.

For the sake of clarity, this includes the hundreds/thousands of independent e-tailers using Amazon as a storefront, correct?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'd be more willing to use self-checkout if I didn't need a human anyways, because their machines throw a poo poo-fit if I want to use a reusable bag.
Bags which they themselves loving sell.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Why would I want to "do the bagging [myself]?" Do people actually care that much about their groceries being bagged a certain way?

Depending on the grocery store, it's expected; you have a conveyor up to the cashier, then another 2 leading away where you bag yourself.
(NoFrills, Loblaws, Real Canadian Superstore, Fresh Co., etc.)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

EdithUpwards posted:

McDonald's switched to okay tomatoes that yield to human teeth after popularizing the poo poo ones because the poo poo ones got so disgusting that people stopped eating at McDonald's and they had to change their supply as part of a big move to make their food more edible and less characterized by the phrase "hosed up chunks."

Also, yes.

Do you have a link for this, because I'd like to read about it.

Speaking of links, maybe I missed it in the thread, but the Sears Libertarian is being sued:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/18/sears-sues-eddie-lampert-steven-mnuchin-others-for-alleged-thefts.html

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 23, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I was wrong, it looks like the active ingredient was actually Belladonna.

:stare:

What the gently caress. Giving nightshade to infants.

You'd be safer putting a loving shot of booze in their baby bottle.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Do snake oil salesmen ever try to discredit each other?

"Don't you know bleach is poison? It's an industrial chemical! Would you put something for cleaning floors in your body!? Here, try my ~ * o All Natural™ o * ~ toxin-purging colloidal silver tonic instead!"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Now I'm thinking of that "Republican Tears" image, but the bottle says Javex Bleach.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Remember the 'Doctor's Book of Home Remedies' commercials?

That thing was as thick as a Bible; did it have anything that wasn't bullshit in it?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

This seems like both good news and an incredible indictment of tomato breeding up til now.

Well to be fair, the tomato they bred for predated genetic studies by a good 70+ years.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

i am harry posted:

They will. You can bet money on it. You'll be able to eat them like apples. The study I posted went on to say that molecule was found in 2%-7% of grocery tomatoes, and while timely, doesn't explain in any way how it is that I can take a seed from a flavorless grocery tomato variety, sprout it, put it in the sun, and harvest delicious tomatoes from it several months later, but I think we covered that with discussion about refrigeration.

Pretty sure it's because they're not actually ripe when they're picked and artificially gassed with ethylene to redness.
Basically just compounding the problem.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Capfalcon posted:

Retail Collapse 2019: Tomato Slavery Advice

https://www.audible.com/pd/Tomatola...WAGPG650QZCGZKY

quote:

Throughout Tomatoland Estabrook presents a who's who cast of characters in the tomato industry: the avuncular octogenarian whose conglomerate grows one out of every eight tomatoes eaten in the United States; the ex-Marine who heads the group that dictates the size, color, and shape of every tomato shipped out of Florida; the U.S. attorney who has doggedly prosecuted human traffickers for the past decade; and the Guatemalan peasant who came north to earn money for his parents' medical bills and found himself enslaved for two years.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

And it boils down to doing the cost/benefit analysis to determine the exact number of minimum wage "associates" required to deter a sufficient number of crackheads and teenagers from stealing so that shrink remains at acceptable levels.

No one is actually trying to prevent theft in retail. They are simply reducing it to an acceptable level.

I'm more curious about employee theft; workers are payed so loving little that I'm amazed spontaneous organized crime rings don't pop up in Walmarts around the continent.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

OhFunny posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/07/business/sears-kmart-closure-list-trnd/index.html

Let's check in how Sears is doing now after coming out of bankruptcy....

26 more store closures.

Yeah, I'm not seeing a GM turnaround for this one. :rip:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I was already laughing about Halloween candy being out two weeks ago, but y'all wanna see some truly desperate poo poo?

If Christmas this year goes badly, big boxes are going to fall like dominoes.

Disney'sObligationToRaiseShareholderValueAtAllCosts.jpg

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

(meanwhile you'll see like from 2013 to 2014 the top folks basically like doubled their salaries).

"If they gently caress a thousand employees out of ten grand each, that's ten million more for them,"
- The Big Short (the book, not the movie)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I mean, that's how we teach kids about healthcare in Canada... :confused:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"That Ivory Tower nerd poo poo doesn't work in the real world of Hard Decisions and Quarterly Results!" :bahgawd:
"You treat workers nice and all they'll do is get lazy and waste time talking when they could be upselling!" :wotwot:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

Watching capitalists get hoisted with their own petard is great, but I can't allow myself to enjoy the schadenfreude because they land on the bodies of their (former) employees.

They float away on golden parachutes while the employees have to jump out of the burning plane with whatever they could bribe the pilot with.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Kids, afaik, use the Caps Lock as a shift key.

That means hitting Caps, typing one key, hitting Caps again... I literally just said "Hold the shift key that's what it's there for!" And they were like "oh but this way is better" :bernchloe:

That's more a Trump thing imho
"I'm gonna do it the wrong way anyway, cause that's how I already do it!"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Someone please explain this reference to me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I said the reference/metaphor, not the object.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Fish Mac = fishmech

It's not like it's a weathervane or anything, jesus

I just bought my first iphone recently, so I thought it was some weird Apple joke that I've never heard of. v:v:v

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

Wah, wah. Every 21 year old is broke.

"I guess human beings can't be... Forever 21."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uW47jWLMiY

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

less than three posted:

lol and 4 hours ago...

Forever 21 to close all 44 locations in Canada as retailer in bankruptcy proceedings

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/forever-21-retail-bankruptcy-1.5302554

e: welp I missed the original bankruptcy post.

Kind of impressive that it was finished off, considering how many dead companies can survive as zombies up here (The Source/Circuit City/Radio Shack, Toys "R" Us, etc.)...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

It's because Canada is gently caress for online retailers, or maybe brick and mortar still works here because we can see now much better American online store are a d just say gently caress it and drive to the mall.

My assumption was distributor exclusivity/monopoly/cartel control making it extremely hard to get all kinds of items online/directly from manufacturer websites like you can in the States..

overmind2000 posted:

Sad then that there aren't any more Kmarts left in Canada, you'd think that would be the perfect place for them

It's hard to be worse than a Zellers, but KMart went the extra mile; nobody loving shopped at them, they were already dying in the nineties, back before Walmart purchased Woolco.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 1, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Big K of Justice posted:

Same thing happened with Krispy Kreme. They scammed a ton of people with one suburban Toronto location in Mississauga for months where media was talking about 500 car lineups at the drive-through where they had to hire off duty cops to manage traffic. THE NEXT TIM HORTONS! A year later locations started popping up all over, and then quickly closed down within 2 or so years leaving just a handful left.

:rip: the single location in my city of a third of a million people.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I have a theory that places with larger denominations of coins transition to digital money more slowly, because big coins are a joy to use and make a lovely clinking in my pocket why would I ever switch to anything else?

If the smallest paper note of American money was $10 we might not have switched to digital payments nearly as quickly

We have up to 2 dollar coins and changed to debit (and then tap to pay) as soon as possible because nobody wants to carry them.

If I didn't need the laundromat, I wouldn't use cash at all.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Laundromats are actually safe in Canada.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Morbus posted:

is this before or after accounting for cocaine lol

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Cocaine is fairly insignificant on a caloric level and most users insufflate it, not ingest it.

You're still introducing it into the bloodstream though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

There are too many of the same flavours of yogurt

:hmmyes:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

We produce enough money to feed everyone in the world.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nutritional items are sold at retail. :eng101:

Where will you get your avocadoes for your french toast after the Collapse, hmmm? :smugbert:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

Don’t feel sad that malls are dieing.

My country has snow and rain though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Welp.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 2, 2019