Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I am looking forward to the version that orders cigs or alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

side_burned posted:

I am morbidly curious to see what Amazon would do if drugs ever get legalized.

In practice they won't do any of these anytime soon because there are a wide range of liability concerns.

...but they do have a really massive range of caffeinated drinks for the same reasons.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Is that fixable? I mean, I want it to be, it's not a rhetorical question, but everybody always says the margins are crazy thin in food service. I sometimes think about ways to fix the fact that kitchen workers can never take sick days, and it seems like even if there were a pool of temps to draw from, kitchen team dynamics are so crucial that you can't really slot someone in just for the day.

Reformed labor law, including an applicable minimum wage and an end to tipping. There'd be fewer restaurants in the short term, but like any other decent labor reform there'd be a net stimulative effect.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I have a contribution to the retail thread. I got a mailer for them today. Which one should I get first?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

The gently caress did you do to get on that mailing list?

It was bundled with a bunch of other low class mail adverts.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hi there.

(read the description)

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 1, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Note their name and regdate.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Is eminent domain not a thing where you live?

eminent domain isn't simple, fast, easy, or above all, free. You have to pay for what you seize.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm curious about the relative construction cost of an open versus closed design.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm more curious what location this is with "good" organic regs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

How would that even work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VdZewCFyfg

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

WampaLord posted:

If you're mad at someone for being a Trump voter, it's not because their one vote helped him win, it's because it signifies they are an idiot. But yes, getting mad over individual votes is pointless.

I'd be mad at someone for stealing because they are a thief (barring the moral necessity scenario depicted in the documentary I linked above). The calculus here isn't complicated.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The inner harbor project worked, but no one learned its lessons.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Let's maybe split off the urban planning chat into its own thread?

blowfish posted:

Did it involve insufficient amounts of capitalism?

...kinda? Inner Harbour worked because there was a really favorable environment for it(a very complex calculus there), really tuned in and well-coordinated muni government, a ton of commercial and industry interest (there's your capitalism), and related geographic players had an interest. Most places that think they "need" or could be "saved" by an equivalent project don't know what they're doing, or the very reasons they need it mean it can't work.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 1, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Some of those regs serve legitimate interests. The location ones are tricky to evaluate without getting into the weeds.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They were all pushed by incumbent restaurants.

Restaurant employees are not required to have a mandatory food safety course or criminal background check.
Restaurants are not legally required to accept debit and credit
Restaurants are allowed to have booths at parks
Restaurants can sell oreos or bags of chips.

Forcing food trucks to buy cans instead of fountain, park far away, have to pay fees for all their employees, and accept credit cards were all just ways to increase costs that the restaurants went to after they failed to ban them outright.

Do you have a source for all of this? Because some of these I can't find in the regs, others you cite continue to have valid interests in mind. Most of the press coverage I'm seeing on this isn't...exactly neutral. Megan McArdle taking a side on something is usually a pretty good indication the other side is correct. I'm willing to buy that some of these regulations may just be obstacles put in place by brick-and-mortar, but a lot of them...aren't. They just aren't. They're the same kind of regulations you'd apply to a food truck anywhere.

axeil posted:

But now Uber/Lyft stole all their business so gently caress 'em. I'll never be stranded on U Street at 4 AM unable to hail down a cab to go home without the credit card reader being "broken" and being forced to bribe the guy $40 for what should've been a $15 ride again!

Uber/Lyft, especially Uber, are infinitely worse than taxis. The benefits you experience personally are ephemeral, or at a massive cost to others. See the unicorns thread for details.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 1, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The year is 2020. Self-driving car chat has expanded to consume all of Discussion, The Community, and most of The Finer Arts. self-posting users wander the ghostly halls of yospos. All is still.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Neon Noodle posted:

What the gently caress kind of ultramodern avant garde poo poo is that?! It rules

That's a postmodern move, if anything. Right out of the Stirling book, if it also benefits the functioning of the store.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Gehry (and a lot of the "postmodern" starchitects of today) is an absolute monster to deal with from several directions. And his projects suck. His idea of "postmodern" is "I don't have to worry about how this building will function, it will be a weird shape made of metal, pay me more".

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 21, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

There was an active shooter situation in one of Gehry's galleries. The police got lost trying to get to them. Evacuating bystanders got lost trying to escape.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Inescapable Duck posted:

Postmodern architecture must be stopped. It always results in ugly, space-wasting death traps. gently caress, look at Grenfell.

On another note, a lot of companies suffering downturns seem to be from chasing the same unicorn: the millennial with money.

Grenfell's not postmodern, nor was its facade. Postmodernists include a number of architects, James Stirling being a great example, who prioritized the effectiveness of the building in their use of postmodern methods.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

BrandorKP posted:

Experiences have been status signifiers for a while now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I can't stand monthly payments, I like to buy things once, lump sum. So it drives me nuts that so many things are turning into "services" and "subscriptions". You don't buy a piece of software for $800, you pay $100 a month to subscribe to a service that includes access to that software and now there's yearly new versions and everything is designed to keep you paying that $100 a month forever because the moment you stop your piece of software stops working or is rendered obsolete in a year. It's turning into the same with music and movies too. You pay a monthly subscription to access a library of content, but its never yours, they can take it away any time, and if you ever stop paying its gone.

Well, software's always been on a license structure due to the IP issue, so it's never been that far from it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Wegman's should become an anchor.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Wegman's is principally known for its good working conditions and for having an excellent buffet/cafeteria/sandwich shop.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm surprised Snorkzilla was shopping at Meijer at all, I didn't think they carried Soylent in bulk.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

CFox posted:

As someone that inherited a ton of those old, solid, real wood furniture pieces I can pretty safely say that your children/grandchildren won't want it since it's huge and heavy and the style clashes with what we actually like.

Unless it's mid century modern, that poo poo is timeless.

My parents are actively trying to get rid of a whole set of MCM furniture that they'd inherited from their parents.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

If you get the right grapple attachment for that tractor, you might be able to use it to start digging up now, depressed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Nah, I'm specifically referring to the people in the tech industry with sufficient power (read money) that they want to implement their methods in the public policy sphere. Hence technocrat.

I appreciate the neologism, but it's really courting confusion. Why not use the accepted term, STEMlord?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Are we sure we're not missing some part of Lampert's exit strategy on Sears?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

A complication is that Amazon (and, yes, other retailers with major market power like Wal-Mart, whether brick and mortar or online) are effectively establishing and controlling markets of their own. This is an issue unto itself, before we get into the fact that they are competitors in these markets, or that their regulation of these markets is poor.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

"global retail" is not a market individual consumers select from.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Amazon has outsized market power in a range of areas, and effectively establishes the scope of sale for those areas in a way that other companies have not been able to do. This is most prominent by their creation of their own market space. One of the ramifications of this power over distribution, market information, and market power, is the ability to distort other aspects of the market in a way that is harmful to people in any part of the process, from producers to distributors to consumers.

Amazon doesn't need to have 100% of any market to be a problem, if it has 5% of almost all markets, or if 5% of consumers now use amazon as their default market space before considering alternatives.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 29, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I just wanted to provide all of us with some thematic music for posting in this thread:

https://archive.org/details/attentionkmartshoppers

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I literally think oocc does not understand the concept of a market.

glowing-fish posted:

So it is almost 2019, and I think the thread title needs an update.

My vote is on: Sears Dead. So What?

But I don't know if that fits, just yet.

The Retail Collapse of 2019: Sears Arrears Fears

The Retail Collapse of 2019: Would you like the extended warranty?

The Retail Collapse of 2019: All those moments lost in time, like Sears in rain.

The Retail Collapse of 2019: Prime cuts of Bezos beefs

The Retail Collapse of 2019: Diagonally integrate your supply Bain

The Retail Collapse of 2019: Lambert and Bernie are Gay Married

The Retail Collapse of 2019: tbf you need a high IQ to understand Brick and Mortar

The Retail Collapse of 2019: From his lair deep within the former textile museum...

The Retail Collapse of 2017-9: Wow this is taking awhile

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 1, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The Retail Collapse of 2019: Profit? No, Money Down!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 1, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Overall retail share is not a good metric for market power. Different retail products are not part of the same market. Amazon's ability to influence markets is different from Wal-mart's (though of course Wal-mart's is incredibly problematic) because of the information medium differences between Amazon's online market controls and Wal-mart's primarily brick and mortar controls. Both offer up-chain vertical influence, but Amazon has more granular control over market information.

One way to think about this is that Wal-mart can arrange and promote products in their stores to appeal to as many customers as possible. In contrast, Amazon can tailor their market information system (including advertising) to individuals.

Another major difference facilitated by Amazon's online marketplace structure is that they facilitates a much broader scope of markets, including much lower and higher scale product areas, with a much more constrained and limited information system that Amazon fully controls. The article from a couple pages back, describing internal sabotage and arbitrage between sellers on Amazon? Review manipulation, sham sellers, etc? Wal-mart doesn't have that.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 1, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Stretch Marx posted:

What I want to know is how exactly do you plan on breaking up Amazon where it doesn't just recombine in a year or two. It's not like Bell where you have physical infrastructure around the country that can be divided up thus allow competing utilities to move in. Warehouses are useless unless managed from a central location. Their store physically doesn't exist. Amazon doesn't provide utilities or other essential services. Breaking up their website is just moving deckchairs on the Titanic.

Well, you can, in fact, break up their warehouse and delivery infrastructure. Independent of antitrust, you can also do a lot with FTC/consumer protections on online marketplace information systems - a bit like how Steam has to deal with EU regulations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

The usual 'check for violations of employment law around unionization agitators' goes without saying, but doesn't have teeth because they mostly warehouse in right to work states.

This makes me curious about the viability of a constitutionality check on right to work state legislation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wanna see what happens with two rival churches setting up in the same mall.

Might be a fun sitcom.

Frequently, the megachurch actually owns the mall as part of a real estate cutout. It works great because their worshippers effectively double-subsidize when they shop in the area after they pray.