Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Does anyone remember service merchandise? I guess it existed in some form till the early 2000s but does anyone remember it in the old days?

There's also a place in the UK called Argos which is this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I remember the first time I found a corpse. Heroin OD case in a park I was doing community service in. The hardest thing was not rolling it to see if he had any cash. After I called the cops they found $200 or so in his pants while they were looking for ID. Still half-way between pride that I didn't steal it and regret. $200 meant I wouldn't have gone to bed hungry for a couple weeks.

Next time remember, corpses don't need money.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

If you could go back in time to a Virgin Megastore, you could peel the 30% off sticker from something and put it on another thing and the person would ring it up like that.
Also, one time I was hanging out with a goon friend, and I took 5 Akira Kurosawa samurai movie DVDs, along with the english Office DVDs, to the counter. The guy at the desk demagnetized all of them, then got confused while ringing up the Office DVDs, which were on sale together, charged me for just them, and then bagged all 7 DVDs. I thanked him and walked out with the bag.

I'm not sure whether I was stealing or fighting the system or taking advantage of my lucky situations but Virgin Megastore and my friend are both dead.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Because we can get the productivity growth simply by squeezing the plebs instead of giving them anything.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

redgubbinz posted:

Where else am I going to get a lettuce sandwich on soggy bread for $9?

Panera Bread.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

eyebeem posted:

I’m at work 50 hours per week, commute 14 hours per week, spend 8 hours per week at the gym, spend an average of 4-8 hours per week cycling, and have 4 kids. My wife works about the same hours I do but commutes less.

We buy groceries online. Along with almost everything else.

I work at most three hours a day and spend the rest of my time hanging out with my two kids or having a bath or/and getting high af what are we talking about here?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Neon Noodle posted:

Market Basket loving owns. The only problem is that you have to be ready to kill or be killed in there.

Uh yeah if you like pretending you're a racist old southern lady venturing out from her normal Piggly Wiggly stop. Market Basket is literally the shittiest grocery store in the country and just barely qualifies to be in the category. Kroger is what loving owns.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

The Slack Lagoon posted:

MORE FOR YOUR DOLLAR

Is literally a lie.

Beachcomber posted:

I liked Waitrose more than the others when we were in London, but that might be because it was on the same block so we could get fresh breakfast pastries, which aren't a thing in the US.

Sainsbury's is the best of the heap. Waitrose is nice if you like paying a tenner for four meringues. Same goes for M&S but w some whipped cream pressed between them. :colbert:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Domestic Amuse posted:

When was the last time anyone went to Stein Mart? Hell, why exactly does Stein Mart still exist, other to be an upscale T.J. Maxx?

In 1994, at the age of 11, I bought a players guide for NBA Jam from a Blockbuster around the corner from my home, sat down on a bench right outside the Stein Mart further down in the strip mall to read some of it, then two big dudes came along, beat the poo poo out of me in broad daylight and took my players guide. So that's my story about Stein Mart.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

HEY NONG MAN posted:

That is a seriously good story, though. They beat you up for a guide? Like not even the actual game?

It had cheats in the back for all the systems!

Also right next to me was my locked bike. I took a good 5-10 quick punches to the face before they walked off with what I had saved a whole month for. Had I not returned home to grab an extra 10c I was short on the first time I tried to purchase it, none of this would ever have happened and my life would no doubt be on an entirely different trajectory.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Caganer posted:

This is why we should launch a total and overwhelming strike on Russia, China, Pakistan, and Pakistan.

God, Pakistan!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

It isn't a city if it doesn't have a cathedral. :colbert:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

there wolf posted:

Urban farming! Happens in a lot of cities, even New York, and it's more a network of gardens than a big field full of soybeans. People will buy/rent empty lots, weird patches of green space that can't be built on, peoples yards, or setup container or hydroponic gardens on paved spots.
This happens throughout England too, due to the shortage of available space. There are websites where you can rent out your front yard patch or offer to plant and tend to the aubergines.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

One time we were in a Subway and this couple in a lifted truck came in. After ordering, the lady said, angrily to the man, "You said I could have a footlong." Then took her sandwhich and sat at a seperate table from him.
Also Jared is in a federal prison 10 minutes down the road from our current apartment.

The end.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Neon Noodle posted:

No they don't, they lock them because people steal baby formula to cut heroin.

You can also steal baby formula to sell it. That's why Hobby Lobby has all the oil paints and copic markers locked up.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Panfilo posted:

Not every place locks up formula though.
The big tubs of the stuff aren't usually locked up at grocery stores; It's the cans of Enfamil that you can slip down your pants.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

there wolf posted:

The thing is we already subsidize daycare for kids over a certain age through the public education system. We could do the same for babies and toddlers, or at least relieve a lot of the burden with paid parental leave and free diapers.

You don't really appreciate the idea of "universal pre-k" until you are a working adult with a 4-year-old.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

anonumos posted:

I have two little boys under three. My 3yo is in daycare three days a week and the 1yo is there only one day a week. It still costs $600-700 a month and that's considered cheap. It's "only" 12% of my take home pay.

Do you also have the honor of paying them for the weeks that exist in the year but during which they are closed and do not take your children? Because that's my absolute favorite part.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What would happen if we did away with quarterly reports in favor of yearly reports?

I don’t believe quarterly reports and the focus on them have always been the status quo

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Dameius posted:

Turns out when you train people well enough, pay them decently enough and then give them enough autonomy to do the job you hired them for, they do their jobs on average pretty good.

Also, if you pay them to take a break from work every now and then they're even more keen to do it well.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Maybe they’ll adapt and become residential real estate or indoor farmers markets, things people actually like.

That’s what England did with most of its churches.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

You really dont need to be stupid rich to do this its pretty great and it makes online shopping easy

I just dont really want to go drive to the loving post office to drop off a shirt
The amount of time wasted doing this is the same as the cost.

The arch sin of Consumption manifest as a poster on the Something Awful forums. Interesting hell world we're experiencing here folks.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

crazy cloud posted:

imagine if all that effort was spent caring for each other and creating beautiful things instead of manipulating other schmucks into selling their futures away so number go up lmao

i'm starting to be fine with us being wiped out by our own actions because we chose to foster greed and power instead of life.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Paul.Power posted:

At the same time, CeX looks like it's doing pretty well (and giving other game stores extra competition for another pre-owned headache). Maybe buying/selling games and hardware from previous generations helps with that.

Last time I was in a CeX in the UK they also sold DVDs and phones it was sort of like a pawn store.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Xarn posted:

Wait, in USA the cashiers dont have chairs? What is wrong with you people?

It's not just that a cashier is standing all day; All the old people who shouldn't be working at all are working as cashiers since the recession so add that to your image of hell manifest.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

The only solution is to grow your own.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I’m fine with an Independence Day style alien invasion because of this sort of thing.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

tOMATO CHAT:

Okay listen guys, tomatoes specifically lose all their flavor when refrigerated, so the refrigerated transportation of tomatoes is the real culprit in this conspiracy BUT do a little research on the price of bell peppers in the USA and you'll find that something is seriously suspicious.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/chinese-hacking-steals-billions-u-s-businesses-turn-a-blind-eye/

America companies have been letting China hack them for two decades out of fear of losing money in the market or being punished be China for saying anything. When Google announced it had been hacked, it was actually one of 30 something companies, but every single other company was too scared to say anything.

:cawg:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

There is no such thing as "made properly" in the context of homeopathy.

tHATS THE JOKE

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2019/05/13/tasty-store-bought-tomatoes-are-making-a-comeback/

quote:

The analysis also revealed a rare form of a gene that imparts tomato flavor to the fruit is missing in most modern, domesticated tomatoes. Yet, more than 90 percent of wild tomatoes have the flavor-punching version of the gene, the researchers report today in the journal Nature Genetics. Their analysis also shows that this flavor gene, called TomLoxC, uses carotenoids — the pigments that make tomatoes red — to make tomatoes tasty.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Cicero posted:

Got a couple tomato plants this spring from a teammate who ordered like 20 different varieties in some kind of bundle and didn't want them all. Tomato discussion here has me hoping that they'll taste substantially better than standard grocery store stuff.

They will. You can bet money on it. You'll be able to eat them like apples. The study I posted went on to say that molecule was found in 2%-7% of grocery tomatoes, and while timely, doesn't explain in any way how it is that I can take a seed from a flavorless grocery tomato variety, sprout it, put it in the sun, and harvest delicious tomatoes from it several months later, but I think we covered that with discussion about refrigeration.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Pretty sure it's because they're not actually ripe when they're picked and artificially gassed with ethylene to redness.
Basically just compounding the problem.

Yes that’s got to be it; I picked a green tomato off one of my plants last year right as the first snow was falling and sat it on a window sill in the sun for the next month until it reddened. Tasted like the no-flavor grocery kinds, maybe a slight bit better

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

BrandorKP posted:

If you live in the south good luck with the army worms, tobacco worms, and various other worms that eat the roots.

You can also wake up one morning to find that a single hornworm has eaten every leaf on the plant.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think pretty much all professional jobs end up being significant down time. Like, it's good and funny to apply "you got time to lean, you got time to clean" against CEOs because they are so rich, but I am pretty sure most people in this thread are posting from work too.

I’m posting from the toilet. In France you get paid for your commute to and from work.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

you couldn't just make all advertising disappear without severely loving society up in the process
I think we'd all survive remarkably well with just a Yellow Pages phone directory.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Speaking of, did you know that in other countries, after your one-year phone contract runs out (where incoming calls and texts are not counted against your arbitrary limits), they just give you a new phone of your choosing if you agree to renew, whereas in America, after your two-year contract expires, you’re presented with the same bullshit “upgrade” options as a new customer that doesn’t even have a loving login, which amount to an overpriced, full-price phone, or an even more expensive monthly lease, because gently caress this place and everyone in it?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Baronash posted:

Hey OP, I don't know what's wrong with your account but it's reposting comments from 2009.

Imagine Bernie Sanders yelling, "Ten years! Still nothing has changed!"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Sitting and chilling is a crime in America that gets you shot in the head by a cop (if you're a person of color)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Sundae posted:

I'm the Hallmark-branded, Harry Potter-themed, FunkoPop-styled, mass-produced Christmas ornament on sale in August.

Nothing says "Christmas Tradition" like cheap plastic.

I'm the rainbow poo emoji for 7.97 because Jesus loves us.