Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Baronjutter posted:

Most of the like retail pharmacies I go to have big robots in the back doing most of the work and my friend who worked at a huge hospital also mostly just supervised a big texan robot system.

The reason this is even on my radar is because a friend of mine has been a pharmacist for the better part of ten years and she's constantly telling me that she chose the wrong profession. She's not the kind of person to normally complain about automation or jobs in general, so I've mostly taken what she's said at face value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Blut posted:

Going from $60 an hour ($2400+ a week, $125k a year) to $40 an hour ($1600+ a week, $83k a year) as someone in their mid/late 20s is not a reasonable life complaint. The problem there is not low wages, they're both comparatively extremely high. The problem is the $200k of college debt.

Fix the college system, pay pharmacists less, charge poor people less for their drugs. Everyone wins.

I don't think you fully read that:

quote:

Rumor mill has Walmart targeting $30-35/hr for new grads within a couple of years, which is unconscionably low for people getting out of 7-8 years of school with $200k in debt and will have to fight for 6 months or more for jobs. I've been stuck for nearly 2 years as a PRN only pharmacist because my big blue company would rather hire new grads they can skin alive than someone who graduated in 2015. So I average between 10-40 hours per month based on how many people need to take a vacation or have to retire because they had a stroke at work and scheduling wouldn't help them find coverage.

That person isn't working full-time at $40/hour, so I'm guessing their pay is nowhere near $83k/year. Declining pay combined with declining and inconsistent hours definitely seems like a problem. At 40 hours per month the person in that quote isn't even making $20k/year.

Edit- It's also weird to automatically assume someone with an hourly pay rate is working 40 hours per week. Almost everyone that I know who isn't salaried and who works full-time works between 30-35 hours per week. The only people I know who do 40 hour work weeks are salaried.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 29, 2019

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Motronic posted:

So you think that climate change will make it impossible to retire (plausible) or cheaper (implausible).

I'm somewhere in the middle and would like to prepare.

I've usually been the guy in the climate thread telling people that the best way to prepare is to cut expenses and save because, really, what else can you do? I'm starting to wonder how meaningful that is lately, though. It's not just being cynical about our chances, it's that we've waited so long that we're now locked into either drastic societal change or catastrophic climate change. Either way, it's hard to imagine what the world will even look like in 30 years.

I wouldn't tell anyone to stop saving for retirement, but I understand why some people who can afford to aren't really bothering.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

The climate change thread is filled with misanthropes and apocalypse fetishists. It's also entirely true that sticking to even +2C warming, which was basically viewed as apocalyptically bad and unlikely a few decades ago, is going to require us to fully decarbonize in about two decades. If you disagree with some pretty mainstream stuff like the conclusions of the IPCC then I'd love to hear it, but I won't keep derailing this thread with it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Is Nordstrom even really considered high-end retail? They've always seemed like maybe half a step above a store like Macy's, but they basically run the same model of offering discounts through either semi-annual sales or rewards cards. I've never had the impression that they occupied a similar space to luxury retailers like Bloomingdale's.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Yeah, I was about to say that subsidizing wages for people who are mentally handicapped makes way the gently caress more sense. Especially since that's what already happens, except in this case it's their caretakers who are effectively subsidizing them.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yeah, I'm not an expert, but I think the logic is that basically any minimum wage work is probably going to just be taking money out of their disability payment through higher earnings so it doesn't matter who's paying them. So, store pays them a prorated wage and they get to keep their disability. Theoretically.

Still conceptually hosed, obviously and there are way better ways to do it.

The major issue with our way of doing it is that the company is effectively benefiting from exploitation even if there's technically some aid available for the disabled person and their caretakers. Wages should be entirely subsidized and businesses should be taxed to support that so that businesses aren't disincentivized from hiring disabled people, but they are still collectively paying for their labor. It's not just a conceptual problem; it's also a practical ethical issue that businesses are benefiting from near slave labor.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

This is SOP for lots of big retailers. Positive changes don't stick around because they're almost always unaffordable at the scale and profit margins that they're looking for.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

BrandorKP posted:

Why would they bother turning it around in the first place then?

You have to do something if your company is falling apart, but that doesn't mean that sooner or later someone won't come in and say "this is all too expensive. Why are we doing this?" Focusing on customer service doesn't actually create new TV customers, so at some point you're running up against diminishing returns and it's time to start making cuts.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

BrandorKP posted:

What bothers me, what really truly bothers me, is that they know better. They know they could make more loving money by doing it right. There is empirical evidence and explict papers describing why doing it right is better.

It depends on whether your goal is to run a profitable company over the long-term or to show growth right now. I know several people who work in retail middle management who will happily admit that they're actively shooting themselves in the foot to show x or y number at the end of the year. I get what you're saying, but it's not like the system doesn't incentivize the kind of behavior that leads to these boom/bust mini-cycles.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

The only person I know who's still in any kind of user facing IT constantly bitches that the young people at his company somehow manage to know less about computers than all the middle-aged office drones. It's a sample size of one, though, so eh.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

I've got an ex-coworker who retired a few years ago and still makes five digit callout fees a couple times a year because he knows FORTRAN on a practical level and can troubleshoot old systems that run it.

There are a ton of places with huge amounts of maintenance debt that are on frighteningly fragile systems to do necessary work for their core business.

I once serviced a paint tinter at Sherwin Williams that was running MSDOS in Linux shell because it was from the late 80's and wouldn't talk to anything current, but was also a $100k machine so they refused to replace it until it physically quit working.

Yeah, it's the "practical level" part that's important. It's not all that hard to find these jobs, it's just hard to come by the experience that you need to do them. Companies would be fine with telling their own people to just learn FORTRAN or whatever, but reading a book doesn't put you into a position where you can actually deal with a crumbling legacy system that no one can explain to you.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

blatman posted:

I tried to buy a pallet jack from Target when they were all closing down but they wanted like 3 grand for it and no amount of haggling could get it down under my budget of "I have 20 dollars in my wallet"

The gently caress kind of pallet jack costs $3000

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Dameius posted:

Fry's still had a number of chairs. They were all lovely gamer race car chairs. But they had them.

Hey, don't knock these things. They're ugly as poo poo, but some of them are super comfy. If I can find one that's not horrendous I might end up making it my next office chair.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Also, just good car seats are really incredibly comfortable, so anything modeled off of them is going to be awesome. If I could have turned the alcantara seats from my old car into office chairs I would have done that in a heartbeat.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I feel like everyone involved in this argument should post their definition of "healthy," because fishmech seems to be technically right if healthy just means "won't automatically make you fat." I know a guy who is chronically underweight, does literally no physical activity, lives on Celeste frozen pizzas, and probably hasn't cooked with a vegetable in thirty years. As dumb as that is, there's nothing weird about the fact that he's not fat. He just doesn't eat a lot.

I'm being kind of pedantic, but this seems important if you want to talk about nebulous ideas like why Americans (and pretty much the whole developed world at this point) are fat.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I've only been in a Fry's store maybe ten times in my whole life, but they always felt like a less focused version of Microcenter. Go to any Microcenter on a weekend and it's clear that there's a ton of demand for a brick & mortar version of Newegg, but Microcenter also doesn't seem to be actively competing with Best Buy except maybe on TVs.

A buddy of mine just recently moved to Texas and was super excited to be near a Fry's, though :smith:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Home Depot still has a lot of knowledge employees because it attracts a lot of retirees and people who used to be tradesmen and just want something to do for a couple hours a few days a week.

HD also loves them because they don't have to pay them poo poo because they're getting paid from social security or their pensions anyways.

By total coincidence I know a lot of people who work or worked retail at Home Depot or Lowe’s and this is definitely true based on what I’ve been told. Also two people that my mom knows are retirees who now work at HD.

Also, I’ve been told that most of the regular store employees hate the retirees who work there. Not personally, but because it turns out that treating a job as a hobby breeds a lot of resentment from people who need that same job to barely scrape by.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Xibanya posted:

derivatives don’t also involve basic arithmetic made faster with a calculator? What kind of derivatives have YOU been doing?

They were just poking fun because you're not really going to see derivatives like that much outside of introductory classes or calc for business majors or whatever.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

It'd be kind of weird to leave an anchor empty at the only mall on Cape Cod, though, especially in a place that's ground zero for a ton of hotels and poo poo. Malls tend to do really, really well in places that vacationers use as base camps.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

There's really nothing that rental car companies can do at this point to not get hosed. The demand isn't there and it's not going to be there at least until next year. Some of these companies were seeing a nearly 100% reduction in demand, and it's not going to matter if that "improves" up to just -50% YoY. The companies that can survive that are still going to be reducing their fleet sizes and they sure as hell aren't going to be buying new vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Noam Chomsky posted:

Do you have any information on *why* PE firms murder everything they touch? I know it's largely due to pure greed and incompetence but wouldn't it be more profitable to not murder businesses? My layman's assumption is they buy, take on huge debt, give themselves a big dividend, kill, repeat - so it's just a way to consume a business for cash.

The goal of any PE firm is to make money. If they can keep a company afloat forever and keep ripping dividends out of it then that's what they'll do, but their business model is fundamentally built on debt. PE firms couldn't operate how they do without creating a massive amount of debt for the companies that they take over, and that means that a lot of these companies are on borrowed time right from the get-go. If you're a company like Sears, and your business model is failing, then the last thing you need is a ton of debt to service when you really need lots of capital to reinvent yourself.

So it's greed and incompetence to a degree, but it's also just the inevitable consequence of their toolkit.