Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Dmitri-9 posted:

I think MDMA and psilocybin will get Schedule II status before weed gets Schedule III. I'm not even joking, the FDA and DEA are so inside the box that a pill no matter the effects is more "medicine" than a smoked plant.

To be fair, effective medical treatment usually requires reasonably precise control over drug doses. That tends to be tricky when you're directly ingesting the plant instead of isolating the chemical you want from it - variations in plant genetics and growing conditions can result in wildly varying concentrations of the medicinal chemicals.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

As a minor sidenote, I note the anti-weed side loves to use the David v. Goliath argument with the "poor put-upon little defenders of the right are we, facing down Big Marijuana and its profit-seekers". Instead of, you know, admitting that they basically have the entire federal government and nearly a century of legal momentum on their side. I would not be at all surprised if that was literally a provided talking point from SAM or some similar group, since it seems a recurring argument they use to try to draw sympathy.

That sounds exactly like the people arguing against gay marriage. Many of them had essentially taken the position that living in a society which doesn't force people to live by their religious doctrine was a violation of their religious freedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

radical meme posted:

So what's the level of concern here, if any, that our new law and order President is going to unleash AG Sessions to crack down on all these people violating Federal law?

It's low hanging fruit for Sessions to prove his bonafides.

Has Trump ever offered an opinion on marijuana one way or another?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Ardlen posted:

Growers also need to be aware that there are no legal pesticides or herbicides for marijuana, since the chemical labelling process is done by the EPA at the federal level.

If you're growing indoors, you shouldn't have much need for pesticides or herbicides, should you? Even outdoors, I would think that with a dozen or fewer plants to care for, you could find some way to avoid the need for chemicals (though I don't know that much about gardening, least of all cannabis).

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Baka-nin posted:

A Canadian Tory read an anti cannabis poem in parliament https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/...source=vicefbca

Reminds me of how a couple people used John Donne's "No Man is an Island" as a counter to the "my body, my business" argument for legalization.

Never mind that the proper question is not whether certain people's actions affect others at all, but whether they affect others to such a degree that prohibition is in society's best interests (and in the case of cannabis, all available evidence points toward "gently caress no"). Otherwise, the logical conclusion of using that poem like that is full-blown fascism.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Squalid posted:

this is the year legalization is finally able to win votes in legislatures, rather than only via ballot initiatives. I think the big change is that industry and capital finally became interested, and with their interest came lobbying power. Honestly I've really struggled to understand how marijuana reform, despite being so broadly popular, received so little support from our representatives. It's really paints an unflattering picture of our democracy.

Only now that people are waking up to how much loving money is at stake will lawmakers take action. By comparison all of the issues of justice and rightness are insubstantial to our leaders.

In this case, it's not necessarily that justice and rightness are insubstantial so much as there are still many people whose perception of "justice and rightness" is utterly devoid of rational thought. The US still has a massive infestation of conservative zealots who believe that marijuana is no less harmful than crystal meth, and/or that anyone caught deviating from their obsolete morals is unworthy of compassion, legal rights, or human dignity.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
All this talk of COVID-19 had me wondering: Has anyone tried experimenting to see if that could be added to the list of possible medical uses for marijuana?

A few seconds with Google, and it turns out the answer is yes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emilyprice/2020/06/27/researchers-are-looking-at-cannabis-as-a-potential-way-to-prevent-covid-19/#3ae4aa66d885

Except it sounds like they're mostly looking into using it to prevent the virus from taking root, as opposed to treating the disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Inspector Hound posted:

It's exciting but I want to keep seeing updates on it, and see it confirmed by others. The "while still just a theory" line you always see in these articles comes a little early, but I hope it turns out to be helpful.

Well, in order to have anything more than a theory now, they'd have had to have started back when China was still trying to keep the virus under wraps.

Though with cannabis as a COVID-19 prophylactic, the big question is: How hard would it be to deliver the medicinal effect without compromising one's higher brain functions? The people who'd need that the most would include healthcare workers, who obviously can't afford to be impaired in any way, shape, or form.