Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
A lot of people are optimistic the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment will keep getting renewed and that is a serious kibosh on the DEA.

The latest DEA report basically says that juries won't even give prosecutors the time of day if they bring a weed case in front of them echoing what prosecutors have said in Texas:
https://www.leafly.com/news/politics/dea-annual-report-finds-decline-smuggling-teen-use-prosecution

quote:

“While marijuana remains illegal under federal law, many states have passed laws allowing the cultivation, possession, and use of marijuana within their respective states. Due to these varying state laws, as well as an abundance of media attention surrounding claims of possible medical benefits, the general public has been introduced to contradictory and often inaccurate information regarding the legality and benefits of marijuana use.” That, the report concludes, “has made enforcement and prosecution for marijuana-related offenses more difficult, especially in states that have approved marijuana legalization.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

American legion goes to bat for rescheduling

I think MDMA and psilocybin will get Schedule II status before weed gets Schedule III. I'm not even joking, the FDA and DEA are so inside the box that a pill no matter the effects is more "medicine" than a smoked plant.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

To be fair, effective medical treatment usually requires reasonably precise control over drug doses. That tends to be tricky when you're directly ingesting the plant instead of isolating the chemical you want from it - variations in plant genetics and growing conditions can result in wildly varying concentrations of the medicinal chemicals.

Unfortunately the DEA uses the perfectly reasonable standards of medical science to stonewall any research because they know medicalization will change the attitudes about marijuana in general. It is extremely telling how CBD was handled in the US. Raphael Mechoulam discovered the anti-seizure properties of CBD in the 70s but it wasn't until Colorado legalized and was able to manufacture huge quantities of it could anyone take advantage of it. If they really cared about "identifying which parts of the plant" they want want to legalize like they said they could have had a 40 year head start.

FreshlyShaven posted:

Not necessarily. That would be true if marijuana were used to control, say, high blood pressure or to fight off an infection. But marijuana is used medicinally as a palliative treatment, ie. to treat the symptoms. By definition, the appropriate dose is the minimum dose which eases the symptoms and since the severity of symptoms can vary widely from individual to individual and even day-to-day or hour-to-hour for an individual, that dose is impossible to standardize. Because cannabinoids enter your bloodstream very quickly when you smoke or vaporize marijuana, it's very easy for users to titrate their dosage and stop ingesting cannabis when they've taken enough to treat the symptoms. What good is a standardized dosage system if you're using cannabis for chemo-related nausea and you need one dose on Monday, a lower dose on Tuesday, a huge dose on Thursday and a tiny dose on Friday?

Also the medical marijuana community is way ahead of medical science in recognizing the "entourage effect" of different cannabinoids and terpenes.

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 12, 2016

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Toasticle posted:

I know the DEA refused to move weed from Schedule 1 recently (No recognized medicinal use) which is how they've managed to block any testing for not just marijuana but things like MDMA and I think LSD for PTSD. Its a nice catch-22, you can't have any to test for treating anything because we've already decided there is no legitimate medical use. That whole system needs to change, the DEA can 'emergency' schedule a drug but they are supposed to then prove it to keep it scheduled and for the last decade I don't think they've even bothered with step 2, nevermind they don't have to ask you know, doctors, they can just make it illegal because they say so.

If there finally was an AMA or whoever recognized use can the DEA still refuse to move it to Schedule II? It's depressing enough with THC, MDMA also because I've read that for things like PTSD its amazingly effective. To leave people struggling with PTSD because the drug happens to also really fun is just loving evil.

No the FDA has already approved Phase 2 trials for MDMA:
http://www.sciencealert.com/the-fda-just-approved-the-largest-clinical-trial-on-ecstasy-to-date

There was no NIDA research embargo on the other Schedule 1 drugs just cannabis. I'm sure you need a DEA license and everything but once they have FDA approved clinical trials they will probably reschedule. One of the problems with cannabis was that the FDA and DEA kept passing the buck to each other because there were no approved clinical trials because no lab could source it in the quantities needed.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Toasticle posted:

Excellent. I used to follow MAPS attempts at getting it approved years ago but hadn't followed up.

Bolded is my question, I'm not aware of anything that makes the DEA have to even pay attention to the FDA/AMA and I sure as hell don't expect them to do anything except ignore it. Is there anything that requires them to even listen seeing as they can ignore the medical community when 'emergency' scheduling anything.

The Federal government keeps a tight grip on the rest of the schedules too. They don't have to do anything but if it's an effective medicine they probably wont object to doctors dispensing it.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

The DEA is trying to put the clampdown on CBD:

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/12/14/2016-29941/establishment-of-a-new-drug-code-for-marihuana-extract

A lobbyist said that support for legalization is a mile wide and an inch deep but now we're talking about a medicine that families rely on to suppress seizures and can't get you high. They are trying to strangle the small producers before a pharmaceutical company can roll out a product. They have seriously misjudged the national attitude, people might feel funny about getting high but they will take notice of sick children suffering.

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 14, 2016

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Just an FYI:

Republican state legislators have filed bills in 2017 for medical in Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, Missouri, South Carolina, Indiana, and Wisconsin. There are more state legislatures that are considering full legalization. I am pretty confident that cannabis will be rescheduled during the Trump administration.

http://www.ibtimes.com/which-states-will-legalize-marijuana-next-list-east-coast-states-more-considering-2478799

https://www.mpp.org/states/key-marijuana-policy-reform/

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Remember jamming up a dispensary in Oregon means an Oregon jury voting unanimously to enforce an unpopular law. The people the feds would go after are business owners with no prior criminal history, lawyers on retainer, and community ties. It costs millions of dollars to prosecute a federal case and wasting it on a mistrial and lowering your conviction stats would be a huge black eye for the AG.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Yes Donny, put a few hundred million dollar holes in state budgets and put thousands of people out of work, there won't be any backlash.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

MGDRAGOON posted:

So what would happen if legal cannabis states just passed a law saying that it would be considered an over the counter medication with no need for a prescription?

The Feds could still jam up distributors for selling a sched 1 controlled substance

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Aging Millenial posted:

The nervous attitude the marijuana community currently has is testament to the need for more activism. This helplessness should remind us that there's no right and wrong but only power, and the nexus of the collective interests of law enforcement, career politicians, private prisons and the pharmaceutical industry are more impacting on society than the opinion of weed enthusiasts and those who happen to think marijuana legalization is fine. Sessions is the equivalent of a bigot when it comes to marijuana -- he is proud of his distaste for the substance itself. Just as gay marriage could not have passed without a substantial portion of the population respecting homosexuality itself, so too are we not likely to see marijuana legalization come about quicker without a substantial portion of the population coming to regard marijuana consumption more favorably and tolerably. We need to get to the place where Jeff Sessions feels the need to hold back his opinion on marijuana consumption just like he holds back his opinion on homosexuality.

I don't think advocating nihilism is the answer here. Prohibition and federal meddling are already unpopular, like 80% unpopular. The general sentiment is so far unconverted into political will because of the problem of diffuse costs and concentrated benefits. What is needed is letter writing campaigns to legislators, raising campaign funds for sympathetic candadites and creating lobbies and caucuses. Populist methods work for state referenda and elitist methods work on the feds.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

WV just needs the Governor's signature for mmj.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

A day early, but on 19 April, West Virginia became the 29th state to legalize medical marijuana. So now there are only four US states and two territories that have zero form of legal, decrim, or CBD: http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/04/19/west-virginia-medical-marijuana-legal/77790/

Good omen for the upcoming Kentucky and Tennessee votes.

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 20, 2017

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

It looks like Vermont is going to legalize

http://hightimes.com/news/vermont-lawmakers-approve-measure-to-legalize-recreational-marijuana/

I don't want to sound like a broken record but good omen for New Jersey

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

40% may be against adult use but only 10-20% are against medical.

Here is a good profile of arch-conservative LDS billionaire philanthropist John Huntsman Sr. coming out in favor of medical cannabis:

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2017/07/18/on-the-edge-huntsmans-stand-against-reefer-madness/#.WW4hudMrJYg

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Well, who didn't see this coming

They asked him if he was a zombie AG to his face.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

KingEup posted:

Heh:
Wonder how noted shitlord Kevin Sabet is going explain this.

It's a bug not a feature. The prohibition lobby relied on court ordered admissions to rehab to make money. Another huge misallocation of resources solved by legalization.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

Possibly. Right now, they have the votes to override in their Senate (22-9), but not the House (81-50). They need two-thirds to override, which would mean they'd need to pick up at least 7 votes in the House. It's not looking too likely. What's probably going to happen is this is going to push back retail sales in Maine until 2019 or later, giving all their legal weed business in the meantime to Mass.

e: the governors of both Vermont and New Hampshire have done this same poo poo before, single-handedly screwing up legalization several times.

Does the original referendum hold any legal weight or does it kick it all to the legislature?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Do they sell by strain name? Is there CDB and CBN available?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Tosk posted:

Unless you count Alpha/Beta, they don't sell by strain name. The difference is that one is indica and the other sativa dominant, although I've heard some odd-sounding numbers thrown around, that they're both at 2% THC, 7% and 6% CBD respectively. Seems off to me, but that might play into why people say that the quality is so low and only preferable to brickweed.

I think I've heard about plans to bring out more varieties.

I wouldn't say it's considered to literally be of Paraguayan origin, but the slang term for brickweed is "paraguayo" or "prensado" (which just means 'pressed' or 'compressed').

Sounds like Swiss style CBD cigarettes.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

LeoMarr posted:

Couldnt you just dab the oil dropper?

Does it have tobe infused into food grade oil?

No you shouldn't dab oil tinctures because it can cause lipid pneumonia.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

EDIT: Heh, the RI legislature is considering wussing out and just legalizing weed at the same time as MA's stores open up in July, but not setting up any commercial sales in RI. Like despite it being at 59% approval, politicians are so afraid of backlash that their compromise offering is "we'll agree not to arrest you if you buy your devil's lettuce in the next state over."

That seems kind of risky. In my mind it changes a culture of lawlessness with one of "ruleslessness" where people will cross state lines with product and distribute it to their friends with no expectation of checking IDs, informing people about responsible use, or rigorously testing for mold. I guess since they already have medical it won't be that bad.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

This is why mmj registries are bad.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/kandavolu/status/948938968145580033

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Martin Random posted:

Under Bush and Gonzales, a much yearned for yesteryear of comparative institutional legitimacy, hung juries meant we just didn't bother bringing weed cases unless there were accessory charges and on the east coast.

Every time we do a jury trial for pot west of the Mississippi, we get a hung jury. That really screws up my stats and chances at advancement in both public and private spheres.

I've been saying since Trump got elected, this poo poo doesn't even play in Texas anymore so what are the odds on a west coast jury.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

KingEup posted:

Sounds more like the rest of the country has a prohibition problem.

lol at 'we aren't doing a very good job at preventing cannabis from leaving the state'.

Diversion attracts federal attention. Colorado had a big problem but they limited the number of plants medical patients could grow to give less of a fig leaf to illegal grows.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/tomangell/status/953673249493258240

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

the black husserl posted:

Are you telling me they got scientists making schwaggy weed in a lab?? That's hosed up

It's not schwag it just has cbd instead of thc.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

paternity suitor posted:

I’m obsessed with CBD now. I’ve been drinking CBD infused coffee and it’s delightful. I don’t really understand how it works so well with caffeine but it does. I used to be a fan of “micro dosing” with 5mg of THC with my coffee, but I find the CBD to be a better experience all around.

It is more expensive, which kinda sucks, but after about a month I feel really great.

Go on r/cbdinfo for places to buy. Most vendors sell isolate for $30/g.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

547 people died in 2015 and 605 people died in 2016 from traffic fatalites in Colorado. I took a quick look at the numbers for the entire US and they also trended up over the same time period.

There are some pretty good statistics for this thing even though they aren't very rigorous because there is no standard procedure for THC testing in traffic fatalities: https://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/25/colorado-marijuana-traffic-fatalities/

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 3, 2018

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Another domino falls

https://twitter.com/DMVFollowers/status/960903410953457675

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

SgtScruffy posted:

Of note this just allows doctors to prescribe/recommend CBD Oil; it doesn't allow for any sort of selling etc of actual cannabis

No it has provisions for THC. It is like NY's law that allows for oil but not flower.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

I’m something of a scientist myself

idgi is that some sort of Norman Osborne reference?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Tim Raines IRL posted:

DiamondCBD appears to be a sketchy Florida-based company which is selling potentially lethal synthetic cannabinnoids as "CBD"

I am real tempted to forward the GC/MS results to their local police department, but, not sure anyone is likely to understand/care, given that it is, afterall, florida.

The problem is some nefarious person could sell products under someone elses brand. That's why it's a good idea to buy directly from a vendor's website and not at a convenience store.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

What's actually stopping the tobacco companies from just snapping up a bunch of weed companies?

Licenses to produce and sell are like liquor licenses. Generally the state won't just issue infinity licenses to a big company, part of the mandate for these government boards is fairness.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Tim Raines IRL posted:

In other, possibly worrying news, two pharmaceutical companies appear to be getting close to FDA approval for CBD:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-17/drug-made-from-cannabis-plant-gets-backing-from-fda-staff

https://globenewswire.com/news-rele...i-Syndrome.html

Are we approaching a legal war, where pharma cos with cannabinoid patents start filing patent-infringement lawsuits against hemp and cannabis processing companies? They are calling the latter a "proprietary CBD formulation", which makes me think their IP might be on the carrier and not on the molecule itself, but if we really see the emergence of pharma CBD products with RCTs backing them, I can't believe we're not going to see an attempt to drive full-plant-extract CBD makers out of the business. FWIW, I have never found CBD isolate to be nearly as effective for anything, as full-spectrum.

In my opinion this is good news because unscheduled drugs that come from botanical sources are exempt from a lot of FDA regulation. But if the drug is approved it means that people can get CBD on their insurance. Of course a lot of INSYS executives should be in prison for illegally distributing fent.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Can we just legalize it already?

https://twitter.com/OklahomaWatch/status/1011797421410717696

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

The Equal Rights Amendment is one state away from being ratified. I wonder if that is an avenue for Federal medical cannabis. If every state trying passes this year that gets to 35 so maybe in 2 years.

https://twitter.com/tomangell/status/1011990568514342912

Schumer is trying to do it the old fashioned way.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Eating straight-up flower can get you pretty blitzed, and lol if you don't think little kids will eat significant amounts of random plant matter. As a parent I'd see the risk as only marginally less than a container of concentrate (and I keep all that stuff behind multiple doors and locks).

The law sounds loving stupid, but that's a different story. It doesn't intuitively make sense to me to be worried about this in a way that we're not concerned with liquor, and I doubt if California requires your liquor bottles to be sold in sealed plastic.

Eating raw flower doesn't typically get you high because it hasn't been decarbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

So Missouri and Utah are medical and Michigan just legalized it.