Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
No discussion of alt-Romantic Comedies would be complete without a big old mention of Hal Hartley, particularly Trust and Flirt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgv4Tvx3V0

"A family's like a gun. Point it in the wrong direction, you're gonna kill somebody."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Fried Green Tomatoes was, at the least, a strict upgrade over the novel.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LucyWanabe posted:

I actually didn't know it was a book! Now you've piqued my curiosity--what does the movie improve?

The movie has good actresses, without which the characters come off a lot more hokey.

Call it the Forrest Gump effect.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

_aaron posted:

I watched They Came Together recently and really liked it despite how dumb it was. I think Paul Rudd can sell just about anything. It pokes fun at a lot of genre conventions and common storylines.

That's one of my favorite comedies in recent memory. And a lot of it is that Paul Rudd is just amazing. And of course an insanely packed supporting cast. It's like a spiritual successor to Wet Hot American Summer in a way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Does The Birdhouse count as a "good" gay relationship? I honestly don't know, I never got around to seeing the Nathan Lane one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Stardust made me cry, more than once, and always at the same time in the movie every time.

"You know when I said I knew little about love? That wasn't true. I know a lot about love. I've seen it, centuries and centuries of it, and it was the only thing that made watching your world bearable. All those wars. Pain, lies, hate... It made me want to turn away and never look down again. But when I see the way that mankind loves... You could search to the furthest reaches of the universe and never find anything more beautiful. So yes, I know that love is unconditional. But I also know that it can be unpredictable, unexpected, uncontrollable, unbearable and strangely easy to mistake for loathing, and... What I'm trying to say, Tristan is... I think I love you. Is this love, Tristan? I never imagined I'd know it for myself. My heart... It feels like my chest can barely contain it. Like it's trying to escape because it doesn't belong to me any more. It belongs to you. And if you wanted it, I'd wish for nothing in exchange - no gifts. No goods. No demonstrations of devotion. Nothing but knowing you loved me too. Just your heart, in exchange for mine."

:qq:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Samuel Clemens posted:

I Love You Phillip Morris

gently caress you, I was gonna say that one. t:mad:t

ConfusedUs posted:

Stardust very much evokes the feeling of The Princess Bride. Stardust isn't quite as good--not as witty or snappy or quotable--but it's very, very much cut from the same cloth.

It also owes a big debt to Time Bandits and Gilliam in general.

poo poo, it's probably one of my top 5 movies of all time. The book is really good too, one of those rare times where the movie and the book are equally good. It's a quick read too, and aside from one really terrible sex scene, is really well written.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

there wolf posted:

Anyone else not like Stardust ? The way they handled whatshisname's first love interest just soured me on the whole thing.

I'm sure there are people who don't like it, as it "only" has a 77% on RT.

I do not want to be friends with any of those people though. :colbert:

Maybe expand on what you mean though? His "first love interest" is a girl he's clearly not really in love with at all (and vice versa) and his journey of discovering that (as well as how to fight like a crossdressing pirate) is like, the whole point of the story.

I've never heard anyone complain about the ending being so completely "happily literally forever after" though, which is something I expected, especially since the book doesn't end the same way at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Let's be fair, making Humphrey "probably gay" is a strict improvement over the book.

e: On thread suggestion, I watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall last night. It's good! But holy poo poo, I had to fight really hard to get past the initial scene where Jason Segel's nudity is played for laughs. Male nudity being played for laughs can work, but when we're allegedly looking at two people who have been having sex presumably for years it's tonally deaf as gently caress to have her make "gross out" faces and keep saying "You should put some clothes on".

precision fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 2, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Haven't watched it in ages but I recall But I'm a Cheerleader being absolutely brilliant. Ru Paul is a delight in it.

e: Forgot to echo earlier, that I Love You, Man is really fun. Paul Rudd is stupidly entertaining in like, everything ever.

precision fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 4, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

there wolf posted:

And it's not a rom com, but anyone looking for a fun LGBT film should try and find a copy of Killer Condom.

Yeah don't let the name fool you, Killer Condom is a seriously good movie about a gay man.

And there's also a killer condom on offer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Moreau posted:

Roxanne with Steve Martin and Daryl Hannah is sublime.

That's the re-imagining of Cyrano, right? I used to love that flick.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Actually I think Rachel Bloom and Paul Rudd would cause the :3: death of the Universe.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My two favorite goon-written things are Two Gentlemen of Lebowski and Pick's Bee Movie Review.

e: Love Actually has some gross stuff in the main plot but several of the subplots are fantastic, especially Martin Freeman's and Bill Nighy's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
500 Days of Summer is amazing and right at the very beginning it says "This is not a love story". It's really not a rom-com anymore than Eternal Sunshine is.

• Locked thread