Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I did want to flag down Jeremy McKay, since I know he's got a forums account on here, and ask how he felt about Spider-Punk becoming an alternate costume in a video game. That's gotta be a little surreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Samuringa posted:

a Daredevil Arkham game would be ideal were not for the rights issues

I mean, they could still do it. The licensed PS3/360 game for the first MCU Captain America movie is basically Cap in Arkham minus gargoyles.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Celebrity voice talent isn't typically that expensive on an absolute scale. I've heard Samuel Jackson mention that his rate for a voice-over game role is around $10K and he can knock it out in an afternoon.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

As I recall, Spider-Man's had a pretty solid overall video game average. What's the worst game he's ever headlined? Right now, I'm thinking it's Arcade's Revenge on the SNES.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

pubic works project posted:

Oh man I loved Maximum Carnage. Only beat it a couple of times though. I will admit that it was hard.

There was this weird thing going on that went from the 16-bit era all the way up to the end of the PSOne where people kept making arcade-style quarter-munchers except they weren't in arcades and they didn't offer quarters. It used to drive me insane.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Pre-Warcraft Blizzard is SO WEIRD. Like there was that and Rock N Roll Racing and Blackthorne and Lost Vikings, then they were just like "nah we are making three franchises now for the rest of time"

I'm legit surprised Blackthorne isn't in Heroes of the Storm yet.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I get to do Newsarama's review of the game, and it should go up early next week.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Is the Spider-Punk costume pre-order exclusive? I might have to pre order depending on what my bank account looks like after I pay rent.

No.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

My review of the game for Newsarama has gone live.

https://www.newsarama.com/41667-advance-review-sony-s-spider-man.html

Short version: the boss fights tend to be gimmicks, the tone's a little inconsistent, and there are a few missions that kinda suck, but it's a great game overall.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

Isn't it confirmed that the black suit isn't in?

I have unlocked almost all of the suits, besides one that is locked behind 100% map completion. There is no black suit.

(There are some really crazy deep cuts in the costume roster, though. One's from a What If, the Fear Itself and Secret War costumes are in there, the last one you unlock by leveling is the "Last Stand" outfit from JMS's run on ASM, the one with normal pants and a double-breasted jacket...)

There is a black suit, however, which as far as I know does not have a comic or film counterpart.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Oh shiiiiiitt

How do you unlock the velocity suit, that's the one I'm gunning for

Without spoilers, most of the suits get unlocked gradually as you level up, with the last one coming at level 45.

One is unlocked by finding all of a particular collectible, one is unlocked via finishing all 12 of a particular side mission, one is gated behind story completion, and one is unlocked by 100% map completion.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure which one is the "velocity suit."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Calaveron posted:

It's the one that looks like a tacticool spider suit with green tron lines

The good news for you is that there are multiple "tacticool" spider-suits, many of which look more like light armor than cloth.

The bad news is that that sounds like it's the suit you get for clearing story mode.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Ah, okay. I don't have any pre-order bonuses for my review copy, so it sounds like that might just be a pre-order suit.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Lobok posted:

What does it look like?

Black bodysuit, red spider logo across the torso on both sides, red eyes on the mask.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Supposedly the pre-order suits are all available for regular purchases, you just gotta actually fulfill the requirements for them.

You know what? I'm absolutely wrong, and I apologize.

The Velocity Suit is in the menu. I just never crafted it. It's one of the later suits you unlock just by leveling.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Full disclosure, I died in the tutorial boss. More than once. Idk, it just isn't working for me. Maybe because it's so similar to Arkham that I just don't know the iframes and stuff? I dunno. Spidey is somehow not as good at countering and dodging and in general not eating 1000 punches at once.

There aren't any i-frames. That's your problem.

The dodging in Spider-Man is entirely keyed to your spider-sense. If you hit the dodge button when the spider-sense lines flash blue, you dodge the attack. If you dodge early, you typically don't, unless the dodge happens to carry you out of the enemy's reach or line of sight. Just slapping the dodge button like it owes you money won't get you anywhere here, particularly since a lot of enemies, particularly the big guys, have attacks that are specifically meant to hit you anyway if all you're doing is random dodge-rolling.

Dan Didio posted:

I like the combat, but Spider-Man basically being a part-time cop is a really weird take on the character.

Not really. Yuri is from relatively early in Slott's run, and there have been a fair few arcs throughout the various series where Spidey's had a friend on the force. She's basically a modern update to Jean DeWolff.

I never thought it was too weird here, since Spidey's relative friendliness with the police is explicitly there to set up a few things later, not least of which is that you aren't the single person in New York City who's actually fighting crimes. That was something that used to bug me in Spider-Man 2, for example, that you couldn't go two blocks without finding a random mugger, but here, you tend to hear about street crimes from cops that are already on the job. That made it perversely easier for me to ignore them if I was already going after a specific goal.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Having a friend on the force is a lot different than being chummy with the police in general, to the point of working alongside them and taking orders from them and helping fix up their surveillance system.

George Stacy, Jean DeWolff, that one guy from Bendis's Ultimate run, and that one old dude who kept showing up during JMS's Amazing run would like to have some words with you. The character's got a rich tradition of being relatively chummy with the cops, especially when 616 DeWolff was alive.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Individuals =/= Entire police force.

Some of the first Spider-Man comics I own are from Peter David's initial run on Spectacular, when Spider-Man is close enough to the NYPD that he's privy to some of their private jokes. ("Is this the one about Jean and the Miami Dolphins?") Spidey as a hometown hero who the cops don't particularly mind most of the time, and who they'll even work with, isn't an uncommon take on the character. See also DeFalco's run, JMS's, and parts of Slott's.

I'll grant that it's not the "iconic" version of Spidey, of course.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

site posted:

What Spidey suit is this? Never seen it before

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dmf8TBDXgAA-r9f.jpg

Spider-Man Noir.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Now that the game's out, I can talk about my favorite moment in the game, which is very late in story mode:

Upon being informed about an industrial accident that happened in 1986, eight years before he was born, and which has heavily influenced much of what's happened in the game, Peter's immediate reaction is, "It's all my fault."

It is the most Peter Parker goddamn thing I have ever heard.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

You can also use web shooters on brutes to "stun" them for a second and land your basic ground combos. If you can punt a webbed brute into a wall, he'll stick if you've done enough damage beforehand.

They're a huge pain in the rear end early on, but in the mid- to late game, they tended to get shut down before I realized they were brutes, just by virtue of swinging objects at them or setting off web bombs in the middle of crowds.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Bullets still reach up there. Gotta press circle and interrupt the animation all the same. Luckily, I got an ability to disarm henchmen! Oh wait, it also needs me to have 2 seconds of nothing happening so I can do that. One at a time.

You have a lot of tools to create space and buy time, even without that. The game just outright hands you Web Blossom at the start if you repair Spidey's classic suit, which is basically a screen-clearing nuke. You can zip around the room, drop off of rooftops to circle around at a new angle, stagger a distant gunman with a single Web Shooter hit...

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

I know it's thrilling for nerds to try and gg each other, but I'm not exactly stonewalled in the game here. I paid my $65, I can complain about whatever I want. Suit powers refill incredibly fast. Mashing Web Blossom will get me through just about every fight, yes, but it isn't very fun. Neither is throwing a punch and then jumping off the building (that I may not even be on) to run around. The combat system has its advantages and has its fun and no, it's not Arkham. It's not perfect though and I can acknowledge that without "Well actually SonicRulez, have you considered pressing the jump button?"

There are valid complaints to be had with the combat system, especially later in the game once more dangerous basic enemies start showing up regularly. For real, gently caress Sable's mercenary squad right in the ear. Most of your complaints are clearly coming from a place of inexperience with a new system, and I can say that with some confidence because I was having the same problems myself early on.

Another handy tip is that you're a lot safer and a little faster if you try to use throwables from mid-air.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It does feel like a system that would benefit from some mechanic that actively rewarded you for keeping your combos varied, to encourage you to keep throwing out new moves and toying with new skills.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Calaveron posted:

I just hope the internet never finds this woman Maddie because the internet sucks

They already did, and the story's got a few additional chapters to it.

https://www.houstonpress.com/arts/the-spider-man-proposal-easter-egg-has-a-darker-side-10842784

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

pubic works project posted:

Did they ever explain how Corsair came back to life after being killed by Vulcan?

His girlfriend got him back with the techno-organic virus the Phalanx use, which was why he was on "medication" in the Cyclops mini that Greg Rucka wrote.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It's always fun when you get little time capsules in a video game like that.

Similar: one of Cap's alternate color palettes in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is the alternate-universe Cap from the Age of M crossover, which has basically been memory-holed since then.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Not just time. Specifically, your score for each henchman takedown is multiplied based on how quickly you take one down after taking another one down. Like you need to chain them to get a high score.

Yeah, stealth challenge gold runs get tricky because you basically have to play web strike pinball without being seen. It's possible with enough knowledge of the map, but you have to move so fast compared to the typical stealth run that it's super counterintuitive.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I honestly feel like Dan Slott's credit isn't for him doing any actual writing but more that the game cribs pretty heavily from his run, with FEAST, and Peter using gadgets and focusing on his science, on Ock being a big part of the game, and having Mr Negative be a big deal. Kinda like how the MCU films always give a 'Special Thanks' credit to the writers and artists whose runs get used as big inspiration for the films (like TNC, Stelfreeze, Priest, Hudlan and McGregor getting credit for Black Panther)

Nah, I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that Slott wrote most or all of the script for the ending. The painfully idealistic Peter of his ASM run feels really on-brand for how he's crying at the end of the game as he leaves Otto in a broken heap.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Gage's protagonists tend to be a lot more grimly pragmatic than that.

Like, Peter just leaving Otto lying on the floor like that is something I could see from a Gage joint, but he wouldn't be as upset.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

MJ's first level being a late '90s-style adventure game with PS4 graphics was pretty much in a sweet spot for me. The rest of them did feel a little too scripted.

Adding some more mechanics would've been a nice way to make them more freeform, like more borrowed Spider-tech or multiple ways through.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Telltale Games has announced that they're shutting down and canceling everything pending, with the exception of a Minecraft: Story Mode TV show that they were making for Netflix. This includes the "Final Season" of The Walking Dead game which will now go unfinished.

The only thing that's really surprising about this is how sudden it was. If you don't follow video game news, and some fairly inside baseball news at that, you might have missed it, but Telltale for the last year and a half or so has been a case study in systematic mismanagement on a cultural level. Despite having some well-known brands and a reasonable amount of sales success (although the last time I saw some figures, Telltale had a real problem with maintaining audiences all the way through a given episodic release), the company had serious internal problems that went unaddressed.

Of course, part of it is that Telltale made its bones off of player choice, which is one of the most time-intensive mechanics to add to a game, so even a relatively short single episode of one of their games could represent a lot more development time than you might think.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/russpitts/status/1043239439126999040

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It took me a bit to look it up, but it's from one of those three-part crossovers that they sometimes run in the annuals. It was literally in a single panel of a single comic from 2011, Incredible Hulks Annual #1, and somehow got made part of a video game.

It's an evil alternate-universe Peter who got made into a Spirit of Vengeance after he died.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Like fine the opening scene is a boy being sad because his mom died of cancer but immediately after you have the same character dancing and goofing off to come and get your love and it just doesn’t stop from there

I wonder if that's the case: some executive was too ripped on fine nose candy to watch more than the opening scene of the first movie and decided it was a tragedy.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

My one pet peeve is that the music leans heavily on Elfman's Raimi score, and there are some cues that remind me of the theme from Avengers.

I was actually wondering if anyone else thought that, but I kept forgetting to mention it. There are a lot of idle music cues as you go around the city that sound almost like the big Avengers theme.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

And mother-loving Lockjaw is in it.

Probably as a playable character, since I'm willing to bet everyone else in that picture is playable.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Lockjaw was a partner character for Crystal or something.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It really doesn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqUjebUoKrM

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Putting gratuitous fanservice aside, there's far worse fighting games than Dead or Alive now, since starting with Dead or Alive 5 Team Ninja has actually tried to make a proper fighting game besides making jiggle physics simulators and had the Virtua Fighter developers give advice to Team Ninja.

Like, I'd honestly say Dead Or Alive 5 is a better game than Street Fighter 5. Or Marvel vs Capcom Infinite.

Eh, I could fight you on that. DOA5 is definitely where the series took a distinct swerve, since its original creator left, but it's also where the series turned into a massive lootbox for alternate costumes.

It's definitely got a less embarrassing story, but the gameplay is just about the same as it was.

(DOA in general, particularly with 5, does have that peculiar issue where, because it's so driven by fanservice, it's also got a large cast of female characters who are all allowed to be major presences and players in the overarching plot. DOA5's story mode passes the Bechdel test in the first five minutes.

(Compare it, for example, to Tekken 7's story mode, where basically, if you aren't related to Heihachi and male, you don't get to do poo poo. Even Kazumi has been dead for decades.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Add Bayonetta you cowards.

The F4 seem conspicuously absent looks like, also looks like no Silver Surfer or Namor so there goes my OG Defenders team.

The Ultimate Alliance games and their antecedents always had a lot of secret characters (Iron Man was an unlock in X-Men Legends II) and DLC, so them not being on the cover doesn't exactly prove anything.