Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It will be literal identical to Tomb Raider but with Hawkeye badly pasted over Lara Croft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is the first announcement that really fucks with the Injustice comic thing, isn't it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

People worrying about continuity in a fighting game series in this thread.

It's the Black Canary Dr Fate sent to a different universe in the comic.

Mortal Kombat is better about continuity than most comic books are, to be fair.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

http://sightlessedog.tumblr.com/post/156741184574/i-cannot-wait-to-play-as-her

Apparently it's specifically the Black Canary from the Regime universe, who Doctor Fate saved and stowed away in (yet a third) alternate universe.

Oh neat. It's dumb I know but I'm glad they're actually sticking to the comic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It really made the heroes of the Injustice-verse look super incompetent that the Regular-Verse guys could clean up their mess so easily.

The Universe A guys had a complete united Justice League. The Universe B guys didn't. It's (relatively) easy to beat Superman, Yellow Lantern Cyborg and Wonder Woman when you have Batman, Batman 2, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Shazam, and Cyborg all on your team.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

...and the pitch! posted:

What is the joke in the thread title?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBZrrdCEMwM + Batman and Superman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

They might do a TV costume and if so they'd probably get Wentworth Miller for it. They've been pretty steady about using the TV actors to do their characters when they appear in games.

In other news, during a livestream the other day a Marvel executive on the game side claimed that the PS4 Spider-Man game is going to come out this year. I'm still doubtful seeing as the only thing they've shown for it was a short E3 trailer from last year.

It's probably going to be one of their big e3 showcases.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Pre QTE Telltale strikes me as an entirely different company than the one that exists now. They had a very good sense of puzzle design and comedy. They seem really intent on going whole hog with this new choice simulator approach, whether it fits the tone of the license or not *coughJurassicParkcough*.

It's a choice between continuing to make games in a niche dying genre or making games in the exact style that made them incredibly successful. It's not really a choice unfortunately.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I wonder why Marvel pushed so hard for Nova

he was getting a major comic push at the time and Guardians of the Galaxy was in production (though the Nova Corps there of course had almost nothing to do with the comic version.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Your timeline is off. Guardians wasn't till years after MVC3.

It was already in planning though. Marvel was doing its movie announcements well in advance and GotG was one of the first they floated as early as like 2010.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Just call everyone Doctor. You'll be wrong most of the time but they'll be flattered by your assumption of their intelligence and accomplishments.

Or they think you're a Dr. Who fan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

You forgot Sigma.

Sigma is DLC and only available if you buy the season pass.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll probably replay AK someday if just to experience the DLC but yeah, it's by far the weakest of the games and it's almost entirely on the back of the Batmobile. If it had more good dungeons and such instead of tankfights it'd probably be easier to ignore the crap story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

He stripped her naked and took photos of her, but he did the same thing to Jim. It was definitely monstrous and assault but I doubt he was cumming in his pants during either of them. Especially since Batman is his main thing and all.

That is still sexual assault. Sexual assault is not synonymous with rape.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

One of Joker's many hosed up tortures that may or may not even be canon in this game's universe

It is. She got fixed after her father died but it's referenced both in-game and in-comic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That's a different Green Arrow. He's the one from the universe Black Canary was sent to.

Yep. He even mentions in his dialogue intro with Batman that he's from another universe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Green Arrow died and came back in the normal comics too.

Green Arrow died and came back because part of his goo was still stuck on Superman's cape which would be hilarious in the Injustice universe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redbackground posted:

Was Cheetah being able to slice up Kryptonians with just her claws because of "magic" a thing already? Cuz uhh okay.

And Christ, Injustice World Diana is the absolute loving worst.

Yes. Kryptonians have always (or for a very long time) had a 'weakness' to magic, insomuch as magical weapons affect them the same way they would anything or anyone else, their invulnerability doesn't work on them. The reason why Superman can tank a Captain Marvel thunderbolt basically amounts to him having invulnerability AND increased durability and the magic works on the former and not the latter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redbackground posted:

I knew that Supes was weak to magic, but just because her claws were given to her by magic doesn't make them...magic claws, is what I'm saying, I guess? It's a weird loophole.

The modern Cheetah's claws are literal magical, they can cut through almost anything. So they were both given to her by magic and are magical cut-anything claws.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redbackground posted:

Well, that is info I did not know. Thanks.

I ain't blaming a single person for not being able to keep up with Cheetah whose sole reason for existing seems to be "she was on the Superfriend's Legion of Doom."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Atrocitus' 'involvement' in the storymode is hilarious, by the way.

'hey hal i'm here oh welp later.'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I thought superman was more vulnerable to magic than a regular human. Like Zatanna could say tihs ruoy stnap and a human could probably last longer without voiding their bowels than supes

No, Superman isn't weak to magic, he's vulnerable to magic. It isn't like Kryptonite to him, he just has no special defense against it. Zatanna could turn his rear end into a rabbit but not like a double-rabbit.

(Why this never comes up when Superman Goes Rogue is because shut up.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's a whole year of Injustice.

It is but even there they basically rely on all sorts of poo poo instead of "Superman a bunny."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I'm literally impervious to magic though.

You're leaving yourself wide open for the "he said in-shape" response you know.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

That was like her main power in that Justice League dungeon crawler nobody remembers.

I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about. This exists?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Looking like still no mutants though.

God drat it Wanda.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

DC really loves those blades

Ah, it's time for Red Hood to face his ultimate challenge.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

What's the last good game they made? Dragon's Dogma?

That's a really silly comment. Dragon's Dogma came out in 2012. Since then they've put out multiple well-recieved Monster Hunter and Phoenix Wright titles and they just released Resident Evil 7 which had a pretty drat positive reception. In fact it had a significantly more positive reception than Dragon's Dogma did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

So yeah, Dragon's Dogma.

No, Lurdiak, that is not actually what I said at all. Thanks for being a pointless rear end in a top hat though because you're incapable of actually discussing a video game company without needless hyperbole.

Like it or not, Capcom has had actual successes since 2012. If you're discussing fan reception then they have. If you're discussing sales receptions then they have. And if you're waving the Dragon's Dogma flag then you probably should have some actual qualification for what you're talking about. If you, personally, don't enjoy anything Capcom has released since 2012 that basically matters jack and poo poo to a discussion like this.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 19, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the take on Bruce's parents in the first season was pretty interesting and original even if they lost the execution a bit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I think the most recent successful franchise they have is Dead Rising. Is Frank West in that game?

The most successful franchises Capcom has are Monster Hunter, Street Fighter and Resident Evil. Even with SF and Re not performing as well as they'd have liked they still performed very very well. Dead Rising isn't even close.

The highest selling game they've ever released not with one of those franchises is DMC4, though after that is DR2 before you go back to the RE and SF bloat.

Edit:
Also RE7, according to Capcom's own numbers, is the 11th best-selling game they've ever had so...

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 22, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

No I mean like, that were recently created and became successful franchises. Street Fighter is 30 goddamn years old.

Dead Rising is a decade old now, I'm not even sure that qualifes as recently created.

Regardless in that case the answer would still be Monster Hunter, it's only two years older than DR. Their three best-seller 'recent' (as in PS2-era or early 360 era) franchises are MH, DMC and DR. After that it's all semi-forgotten stuff like Onimusha, Lost Planet and Dino Crisis.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 22, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I said good successful. They have successes, but they're not good.

Yes I mean Monster Hunter is bad. Fight me. I'll be in 2017 while you're still doing janky rear end 2003 animations and have to resort to invincibility frames.

I can't think of any major action franchise on the planet that doesn't use invincibility frames. Even Dark Souls has i-frames.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

You're probably thinking of Konami, who I believe always had a gambling division but have now turned over popular franchises like Metal Gear and Castlevania to making sexy new pachislot machines rather than, like, normal video games, such as you play if you are not gambling.

That isn't quite correct. Konami has scaled back their game production (though they still have a new Metal Gear game coming out) but it isn't either/or. Castlevania and Metal Gear pachinko games were coming out even when they were releasing games. It isn't either/or.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zoro posted:

From my understanding, Pachinko is basically their equivalent to our one-arm bandits, slot machines. But, this all just begs the question. If game development is so expensive that people are going into gambling instead, why not just make games that are cheaper? Couldn't you just lower the production values and save money? Not all games need to be 4K Ultra HD on my loving God games. They could be intentionally retro graphics.

The problem is that gamers, by and large, won't accept that. Low production values from big franchises are very rarely accepted and usually only specifically if they're catering to a type of nostalgia. Metal Gear for example is a franchise that blew up with high production values for the time (MGS is what put the franchise on the map) and intentional retro throwback graphics, outside of the occasional joke, is not going to get a positive reception because part of the appeal of franchise was the high quality graphics and cinematic cutscenes and so-on.

There is very little room at the moment for 'mid-tier' games. It's a pretty well documented problem. It has been for a while but there was room to put it off with things like successful handhelds allowing for lower production value games to be created and supported, but mobile has eaten that pretty heavily. Some can succeed but they're usually established niches with built-in fanbases who they can rely on. Castlevania, just to use an example here, did try the lower-budget thing for a while (the GBA/DS games) and found increasingly diminishing returns saleswise despite positive critic and player responses.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 23, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well. poo poo.

Sold.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Saints Row has super powers and an open world, but its not exactly a super hero game.

You played as a puckish rogue who quipped a ton and killed evil invading aliens with guns and fireballs. You're basically indistinguishable from an Avenger.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest I think the Superman Returns game had the right idea. Superman is insanely strong and invincible but using your powers intelligently to minimize damage is the key. It would take some creative as hell design though but the Mongul fight in that game is the closest I think a game has come to really feeling like a superpower battle. Shame about the rest of it.

They even had the right idea for the gimmick "I want to gently caress around mode" and made it Bizarro mode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

They look like yakuza guys with embarrassing masks on to me.

So, yes, Toku mooks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Web-swinging is really fun even though I'm still learning how to work it. The plot seems neat. I'm a sucker for side-mission icons, so I'm going nuts doing all of those.

My only negative so far is combat. It looks like Arkham's combat, but it is definitely not as good in my opinion.

Full disclosure, I died in the tutorial boss. More than once. Idk, it just isn't working for me. Maybe because it's so similar to Arkham that I just don't know the iframes and stuff? I dunno. Spidey is somehow not as good at countering and dodging and in general not eating 1000 punches at once.

I think Arkham experience works against you in Spider-Man because the combat is just similar enough but the buttons are different which makes it really easy to muscle memory the wrong button.