Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I played a few hours, can confirm, it's fun. Looking forward to playing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just spent a few hours unlocking the Knighthood tree on Batgirl, Red Hood, and Robin. That was a ton of work, but I'm glad I got it done now in case I want to play them later. For now, though, I'm excited to continue playing this as a Nightwing game.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gaz-L posted:

I find it funny that they claim Dick's traversal is a glider when he just straight up flies. You can gain altitude and never lose it.

That was the first thing I learned when I tried it out, yeah. I was expecting to need to use momentum tricks to keep in the air like in the Arkham games, and then no, not only is that necessary, it's almost counterproductive.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Sprint is on L3 on PS5, as well.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nyeehg posted:

drat it. Gotham Knights is the sort of game me and my brother could really get into. Unfortunately I don't have a gaming pc and I'm not buying a ps5 for this.

Does anyone whos played it have any insight on the reason the game had to be exclusive to next gen platforms? Considering how hard it still is to get a ps5 I'd think making the game cross gen would have been a no brained.

The game is pretty clearly designed to be cross-gen, but considering they couldn't get the game to 60fps on a PS5 or Series X, I think they probably just couldn't get the game optimized well enough to actually run at acceptable framerates on previous gen hardware.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Soonmot posted:

drat this is making me want to buy it. Ps5 folk: do you notice the frame rate issues?

Also I reinstalled Arkham asylum and wow is the combo system in that unforgiven, you can't pause at all without your combo resetting. I'm used to the qol upgrades that have happened in every game to use that style since and it's harder than I remembered.

It feels like a relatively stable 30 to me. I haven't encountered any major dips in the performance, but it's definitely weird going back to a 30fps game after playing any of the myriad titles that run at 60 on the system.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I wish I understood the stealth in this game. Every time I try to engage with it in those big rooms, no matter how careful or observant I am, it goes sideways so fast.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

the_american_dream posted:

Robins wasn’t too bad but the drone kill has been stupid hard for me.

Also was this game like really short for anyone else? I was expecting more billions to show up after completing the three cases but nope just main story and thanks for playing

It could have been a little longer, but I like it when games don't overstay their welcome, so on the whole I'm pretty happy with its length.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dawgstar posted:

I've only heard complaints about how Callisto runs. There are complaints about Suns' performance, to be sure, but you can fix most of them on PC.

I've seen a lot of criticism about Callisto's game design, it's definitely more than just the performance.

Then again, I also saw a lot of criticism about Gotham Knights, and that game is great, so I dunno.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I basically only played Nightwing, but I'm kinda curious what the only characters play like when you have actual experience with their kit.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RevKrule posted:

Yeah, honestly Gotham Knights is a solid game. It's not going to blow any doors off but it's fine and if you have friends, co-op is very fun.

Also quite honestly, I'm thankful for how short it is. There's a bunch of artificial lengtheners and collectathons but in the end, it was definitely better than I had feared.

The gear system could've definitely used another pass though. I beat the game and then some and I still couldn't tell you just by looking whether I was picking up a mod or a blueprint.

I definitely agree. Open world games these days are all bloated as hell, even the ones I like could stand to be cut down by like 40%. Gotham Knights actually being a reasonable length is one of its best features.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

JordanKai posted:

It doesn't surprise me that Suicide Squad was made with the intent of being a live service game of some kind, but it does surprise me that they're still going in that direction after Marvel's Avengers tanked. Were it my call, I would've told the devs to start cutting all of the GaaS stuff out for fear of being compared to Avengers by the press. They must have a lot of faith in their core product to go full steam ahead on this.

The fact that they chose to half-assedly remove the GaaS stuff from Gotham Knights, but leave it in Suicide Squad, is very strange to me.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
It actually looks more fun than I was expecting, but it's still just...one of those games. Not even remotely interested.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Waffleman_ posted:

Imagine showing off a superhero live service game less than a month after a high profile failed superhero live service game announces its shutdown. I'd be so embarrassed.

This just reminds me about how obvious it was that they ripped a GaaS model out of Gotham Knights, and I can almost guarantee that KtJL will be lucky to be half as good as that game.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

For the record, I thought Gotham Knights was really good. Not without its issues, but really good.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gaz-L posted:

At best they'll pare back some of the GAAS stuff and it'll end up as a weirdly loot obsessed game a la Gotham Knights.

The problem with that is, unlike Gotham Knights there's clearly nothing salvageable here. Even if you remove the GaaS poo poo it's still gonna be a TPS featuring characters who were stripped of their identities in the service of this bullshit model.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

site posted:

i just want to check, it was always described as an open beta, or was it early access with the promise that purchases would carry over to 1.0 release?

It was always described as an open beta, they were just happy to take your money anyway.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Barry Convex posted:

an additional eight months of development certainly isn't enough time to fundamentally redesign the game and strip out the GaaS features, but I hope it somehow works out for Rocksteady. They deserve better.

That'd be nice, but it just isn't possible in that time frame. If they were really doing that, they'd have delayed the game indefinitely, not a bit over eight months

They could convert the GaaS stuff to a mediocre or ignorable loot system again.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Flesnolk posted:

on the one hand: there's no way the actual game can live up to this, right? this has to be gently misleading at best and outright false advertising at worst, like every other game trailer.

The trailer sequence looks heavily scripted, I don't see why the game couldn't have it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lobok posted:

And if you pre-order you can get all your favourite suits such as

uh well what I mean to say is you can get suits.

Tokusatsu suit...

E: Shame it doesn't look anything like the actual tokusatsu Spider-Man suit, but still!

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 9, 2023

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lobok posted:

Miles has quite a lot for only being around a bit over a decade. I don't know if you'd know them by name so I'd have to find the image post I made in the Spider-Man game thread.

[...]Edit: Japanese Spider-Man! Kicking myself already.

I'm really hoping that's a costume for Miles, at least.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Barry Convex posted:

Gotham Knights is coming to Game Pass next week. I'm not likely to get around to it for a while and I doubt it'd run well on my current PC anyway, but is it worth playing at all as a single-player game for someone not interested in the multiplayer GAAS-esque aspects?

It's pretty fun as a single-player game, yeah. Its systems invite comparison to the Arkham games due to their similarities, which isn't especially flattering to the game, but if you play it on its own terms it's a decent open world action RPG that doesn't overstay its welcome.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Azubah posted:

Honestly the best parts of the game are the cutscenes of the bat family being a family, the overall game is a poorer version of arkham knight.

I don't agree with this, because at no point does Gotham Knights force you to drag a loving car around. Or do extended car combat sequences.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

MorningMoon posted:

That sold 5 million in a month, we're not sure at this time if there's 5 million xbox series x in consumers hands

console warrior rhetoric aside, yeah i'm like 90% sure that the only reason platforms aren't announced is that there's a chance development slips and it ends up on the next gen xbox thing instead (and PC)

Microsoft's main goal right now is selling game pass subs. I don't think the number of xboxes out there really matters to their calculus

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Codependent Poster posted:

Gotham Knights suffered from the same thing Avengers did. They both had pretty good stories that worked fine as single player but the tacked on GaaS killed it. Avengers is more guilty of that, but both games really should have been released as single players or co-op story-based games with some DLC for characters and extra missions.

Guardians of the Galaxy is pretty much how both games should have been. Looks like Suicide Squad is gonna be another of those things.

Midnight Suns is great and I started to replay it because of the thread.

I mean, they removed the GaaS from Gotham Knights. It's just an action RPG with (largely easily ignored) holdover mechanics from when it WAS a GaaS title.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mr Hootington posted:

The game is good if you like those open world games. Combat is unique and fun.

It is like a much better Gotham Knights.

No chance this is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Article posted:

[J.B. Perrette] said, "We're doubling down on games as an area where we think there is a lot more growth opportunity that we can tap into with the IP that we have and some of the capabilities we have on the studio where we're uniquely positioned as both a publisher and a developer of games."

[Perrette] pointed out that one of WBD's latest big games, Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League, was a disappointment for the company.
[...]
So the plan going forward, he said, is to help reduce volatility by focusing on core franchises and bringing at least some of them to the mobile and free-to-play space, as well as continuing to invest in live-service games that people play--and spend money on--over a long period of time.
[...]
"Rather than just launching a one-and-done console game, how do we develop a game [...] that is a live-service where people can live and work and build and play in that world in an ongoing basis?" he said.

This dude definitely doesn't understand why Suicide Squad failed, :lmao: