Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
GOTG and TWD aren't, though.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's more to do with stakes and expectations. With comedy, you're not expecting there to be the risk of death or real stakes, so any that do occur, are surprising. With tragedy, you're expecting the stakes to be high, so when you can see the strings of the puppet show, it robs it of some of the tension, if you were invested in the puppets being 'alive'.

In this case, the strings are knowing that you influence the character arcs more than the plot. Though Minecraft and Batman seem to be experimenting a bit with branching paths.

EDIT: With regards to the Batman one, I think they're counting on the meta-game. The Joker's appearance is entirely based around that.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 6, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nilbop posted:

Blow His Mind and Break His Heart was were TftB won me over without reservation. It was probably my favourite part of the entire game up until Chapter 4 happened, where I just couldn't stop giggling like a maniac.

If the same creative team (Pierre Shorette, Adam Hines, Nick Herman et al) are still tickling their goofy space-opera funnybone for Guardians I can only imagine what we'll get.

I promise a section where you're controlling Groot in a tense conversation situation and all 4 options are...a) I AM GROOT or b) normal but he still says I AM GROOT

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Telltale Batman finished this week, in a surprisingly punctual fashion for TTG. I think this might be the first of their games not to have a massive delay.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It has a great cast and does some interesting things with the mythos, and the relationship between Bruce and Selina, and Bruce and Alfred is very well done. If you've never played one of their games you may want to start with season 1 of TWD, though, or maybe Tales From The Borderlands.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, they did go out of their way not to demonise the staff at Arkham as opposed to what often gets used as the excuse. The doctor working with Bruce and the Joker seemed very professional, competent and actually smart enough to not just buy whatever bullshit she's fed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

You mean the doctor who thinks Joker is a model patient?

I'm willing to buy that the Joker is smart enough to hide his worst behaviour.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Based on that trailer, Bane's back, and Robin and Ivy are in as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bullshit fighting game boss is basically Darkseid to a tee.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

The Black Canary from the A universe is still around.

The comic only deals with the Injustice universe characters.

They've not given any indication that Earth-1 characters are in this one, though. It's supposed to be about Supergirl coming to earth and busting Evil Superman out of the pokey, I think?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I would probably play Injustice 2 if the Animaniacs were playable.

Slappy Squirrel or GTFO.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Troy Baker better be playing Yondu.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
First episode of the Telltale Guardians is out. It suffers a little from the obvious issues a lot of their non-Borderlands licenses suffer from, namely that you know that some things are off-limits because they ain't killing Starlord in the first episode, but the focus is mostly on Quill and how he relates to family, both the found one in the form of the Guardians and his 'real' one, in the case of his mom and Yondu. It's clearly heavily influenced by the movie, but zigs at one point to the degree that it can't be intended to be set in the MCU. Yondu picks Peter up from his mother's funeral, and asks him to go with him, instead of kidnapping him just as Meredith dies

Otherwise, you know the drill. If you hate the formula, no reinventing the wheel here, and conversely, if the magic trick still entertains you, it's still there too.

Dialogue is mostly snappy, and Nolan North does a solid job imitating Cooper, and the dude playing Starlord does a solid Pratt. The others aren't really trying to mimic the movie actors, I don't think. (Well, Yondu still has the Michael Rooker accent/timbre, but it's obviously not Rooker)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Who are the writers? Does it share any with Borderlands?

Quick google-fu says one? Zack Keller?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Yes, I did, but his inclusion in that was very obviously meant to be a tease for an actual full game.

Not necessarily? Unless they also wanted to do a Portal and a Venture Brothers game too?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They're not the first adventure game dev to do that, though. Dreamfall did the same thing at a couple of points when the different protagonists cross paths and you play both parts of the dialogue.

And one thing I'm not sure I highlighted about GotG, but it's nice that movie-Starlord has a defined enough personality that you don't get tripped up by the brief snippits in the dialogue tree. Telling Rocket "Need a hand, buddy?" isn't misleading, because you know Peter's going to be a smug dick about it.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 22, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

It wasn't the same after they moved on from the pizza place.

You're right, it was better :colbert:

That show didn't get good until Fillion joined the cast.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Batgirl DLC felt like the best one, structure-wise, to me, because the amusement park felt like a mini-open-world, rather than the blatant on-rails aspect that the Red Hood/Harley/Dick/Tim/Selina go through.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not sure, Injustice 2 relies a lot more on meter burn stuff than the first, it feels like. Even early in story mode I feel like they want me to do combo breakers and escapes way more often than most fighting games expect from single player. Maybe that's just because you're playing mostly rushdown type characters against the big bruisers like Supes, Grodd and Swamp Thing in the early going.

Pretty Superhero Dress-up Game is more fun than it should be and I get a kick out of giving Green Arrow a dumb tacticool helmet and pouches on his thighs. It's the right sort of goofy, though it's clearly going to result in the typical loot rush of most games with such a system.

Oh, also, if anyone's not into paying 60bux for the game, it seems like the mobile version is going to have the whole story mode with identical cutscenes.

EDIT: Also, I cannot do Harley's tutorial #6 for the life of me. The game either thinks I'm doing it too slow, or if I go fast, it triggers the cupcake grenade and not the slide.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 19, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

The facial animations for Injustice 2 are so good. Probably the best I've ever seen in a video game.

They did facial capture with the voice actors for all the characters (yes, including for Deadshot, who wears his mask the whole time) and then the animators elaborated on it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also like this style of story mode because it forces you to try most characters and learn at least the bare basics of how they play, which helps idiot just-above-mashing players like me find cool dudes and dudettes I might not normally play.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Come on if you don't main Batman

Black Canary, Arrow and Flash... maybe Catwoman and Power Girl if I practice with them a bit more.

Also, GA's trait lets you burn super bar to shoot boxing glove arrows!

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 20, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Are the traits unbalanced? Batman's seems to be three quick weak free hits that vanish if you so much as get bumped into while Superman's appears to be a power boost that lasts loving forever

To some extent, I think so, but some of them are just situational. Flash's, for instance, uses the Speed Force to slow down your opponent, but it's a really long startup and if you get hit, it immediately ends. Ollie's, as I said, are trick arrows, but you need to do a command to pick which arrow type you're going to shoot next which again leaves you open.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

I actually wish the story mode was a bit longer and had you play as more characters. Thanks to the leveling stuff there's a bunch of characters I haven't even touched while I've been leveling up my main.

Even if you're just grinding offline, the multiverse thing does try to make you use new characters by having objectives or even whole ladders where you need to play as certain people. (Even so, gently caress Hal Jordan's stupid face, I HATE Green Lantern in this, he's bad at EVERYthing.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, and because the game's bad at explaining this, the 'battle simulator' in the Multiverse is the traditional arcade ladder modes, complete with goofy slideshow endings. (Sadly not with specific endings if you used like the Power Girl or Mr Freeze skins, though)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

Today I learned that Boon apparently contemplated putting Buffy the Vampire Slayer into Injustice 2, but she lost a Twitter poll. I'm really sad now.

...gently caress the internet!

Though, in fairness, I'm not sure what she'd do that Canary doesn't already.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

You shouldn't he has a lovely overhead, great cross-ups from the air, a fantastic combo extender when meter-burning db1 and maybe the best j3 in the game, which is hideously easy to combo into normal strings.

He's the only character in the story mode I have a negative W/L ratio with. I hate his ring grab thing and most of his base specials are underwhelming. It's probably less that he sucks, and more that he's the technical character for pro-strats, but as a scrublord, I hate playing as him, and that sucks cuz I was excited to use the John skin but it means I have to play as GL.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's more that they felt obligated to include at least one villain for each of the main JLA crew. Supes gets Darkseid and Brainiac, Batman has Scarecrow, Deadshot, Catwoman, Bane Ivy and Joker (I suppose you could count the latter two as shared with Harley), Flash has Grodd, Cold and Reverse Flash, GL got Atrocitus and WW has Cheetah.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Android Blues posted:

Like most Wonder Woman villains, and arguably even Wonder Woman herself, Cheetah is potentially really cool but rarely gets a consistent enough treatment to shine.

Rucka did a fairly good job with making at least the pre-Cheetah archeologist lady interesting in Wonder Woman: Year One.

Also, I think I mentioned it in another thread, but I really like some of the small details in Injustice 2, like Harley's deafault jacket now including the Bat symbol which is a neat way to show she's basically the only other member of the Bat-family at this point.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 25, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

I've been spending my lunch watching Injustice 2 Power Girl fight intros, and the actress they picked is perfect.

I like the variation of Supergirl's quick-change intro where Karen's wearing a business suit instead of Kara's sweater and blouse from the TV show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They sort of paid lip-service to it in this game with Reverse-Flash saying he's trapped in the past because Superman's crew murdered one of his ancestors and created a paradox, so maybe Booster ceased to exist or something?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

You know, I have a sneaking suspicion they're putting Atom in.

Likelihood of Brandon Routh doing the voice? (They did get the lady from LoT to do Vixen)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Pete is definitely the Spidey being controlled in that demo, he even uses that name in the dialogue, it's a Peter-Spidey colour-scheme on the suit and it's based on the late BND/early Slott run with the vigilante police captain and Mr Negative.

However, I can certainly see them doing a duelling Spider-Men thing with Mr Negative as the opening.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wait, when did they announce season 2? Like, that trailer says episode one launches 2 weeks from next Tuesday... I literally didn't know this was happening until this very moment...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They've also apparently announced season 4 of The Walking Dead and are saying this is the last one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

The first thing I think of for a Thor game is classic Thor and forced stealth sections. If you get trashed as Thor it's interpreted as you losing Mjolnir for too long and you revert back to Donald Blake, who has to hobble around sneakily to get back to his cane to transform back into Thor. Not even saying it's a good idea, that's just how "Thor" and "videogame" linked in my mind.

I guess the obvious idea is God of War Thunder but I'd rather play something more like Gauntlet Asgard Legends.

Didn't the Hulk movie game do this but with Banner?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
New episode of Batman is out. I'm still mostly enjoying it, and the new 'relationship' shtick is kind of neat in that it gives you and idea of how different characters are disposed by the end of the ep. It is a little silly how hard they both try to swerve comics fans (By say, killing off the Riddler, and having Harley apparently have her origin independent of the Joker) while trying to act like some 'twists' are a shock to the viewer when any fan would see them coming a mile away (Waller knowing Bruce's identity)
It's kind of confused in what audience they're aiming for, in a way that other properties they do aren't.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Paused posted:

Some of the rouges being focused Bruce rather than Bats is potentially a interesting take. Considering there is a 'Batman is responsible for creating half the enemies he fights' argument, I do wonder if any of the usual rouges are going to show up, not interact with Bats, and just end up 'cured' by Bruces actions alone.

It's fun. Bruce isn't enough of an rear end in a top hat whilst Bruce but around only Bat family members to me, and I don't like how the Batman is an idiot, when I'm an idiot but eh, nitpicks.

I take it Bats has the more advanced suit in this one if you went after Penguin first in the previous game?

Yes.

And it seems like where the first season had the 'are you the heroic guardian or the brutal vigilante' dichotomy with the game's approach to Batman, this season seems to be whether Bruce is a loner who won't endanger anyone else, or someone who'll build a new family to fulfil his mission.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I haven't finished the first season but I did like the Batmobile.

The car is great, and I kind of love how into it Bruce is. There's an interaction option with it in the Batcave in S2, and it's just him sighing happily at the engine sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, TT batman s2 ep2 comes out on Sept 24th. Why such a gap between epiosde darnit?

That's what, 6 weeks? Fairly standard for episodic games.