Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
At best they'll pare back some of the GAAS stuff and it'll end up as a weirdly loot obsessed game a la Gotham Knights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They also didn't announce a studio or publisher, so it's basically like when Rob Liefeld or Valiant claim they're making a big budget blockbuster movie on Youngblood or Ninjak.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

I believe that it's happening since it's basically the #2 guy at videogames (and all the other media they consider too new) at Paramount. But the interview deffo reeks of the ink barely drying and it not being in active development quite yet. It'll be a few years before we know if this is a cool thing or if it's some small studio trying to punch way above their weight.

Oh to be clear, I meant there's probably a contract somewhere to someday make a thing, just like those movies, just that I'm sceptical about it ever getting beyond development hell.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The important difference is there's been a ton of TMNT games, many of them successful and good. TMNT is a billion dollar franchise, and Last Ronin sold pretty well, I think?

How many of those games are based on the comics?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

loving HELL, Carol is a beast. Which makes sense but drat, only Illyana and Hunter come close right now. Nico's spells so far make me wanna cry in comparison.

Captain Marvel falls off a bit later in the game and Nico's stuff is deceptively powerful.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

Gal Pals for life.

Me* and the girls bout to hit the club

(*may not actually be me)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Male Hunter is Matt Mercer, so it's not like the talent isn't there, the neutral tone is definitely a directing choice.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
FemHunter at least injects a tone into it that sounds like she's talking to a dog while ruffling their fur.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like that after the party scene you can choose not to make Magik go back and just vibe with her in her room listening to metal records.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, XCOM has that stuff too, just abstracted behind menus

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
AEW Fight Forever is tossing its hat in the ring too

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In fairness, MK11 all but said they were doing a reboot with Liu Kang becoming a god and resetting the universe at the end.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Lowenthal dancing close to "GET BACK HERE SHOCKERRRR!" energy with the Symbiote Spidey voice.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm still a little ambivalent on the direction they took with MJ in those games. Like, I get wanting her to be involved in the plot, and the twist that she broke up with Pete because he wouldn't let her be MORE involved with the Spider-Man stuff was good, but making her 'intrepid reporter' feels like they just wanted to write Lois Lane into a Spidey story. They could at least have had that role be Cindy Moon (opens up a third PC down the line) and have MJ doing something else.

It's also very funny how obvious it was when the first game went into development, considering how prominent Yuri and Mr Negative and FEAST are.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

WB copyrighted the Nemesis system, but it sounds like Cliffhanger might be attempting something vaguely similar to that; lots of vague talk about a reactive story shaped by your actions in unprecedented ways, which I guess could mean that they’re trying to apply the Nemesis concept to other systems like NPCs or even quests? Just spitballing here

This is my gaming Hot Take: the Nemesis system is vastly overrated. It's basically a D&D encounter table with basically 0 input to actually create compelling narrative. I'm very much someone who prefers bespoke writing and an end point than procedural generated 'forever games'

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

I don't think it was overrated in the Mordor games but I think people treat it as something that can naturally and easily be layered on top of just any game to spice it up when you'd usually have to redesign the whole story and gameplay mechanics and encounters to make use of it. Like was the system really so good that a game should be specifically designed around making use of it? Of the games I've played since Mordor where it could be just layered on as-is, Breath of the Wild had all the prerequisites.

Would every ten minutes fighting "Moblin The One-eyed" (a regular moblin but with the eyepatch cosmetic) really add much to BOTW? Maybe I'm the outlier because I've never been one to play action games for 'emergent gameplay'. Like, I know there's people who play GTA and literally never engage with the story at all and it baffles me. loving around with the tank or whatever is fun for like, 5 minutes, but give me a purpose, a story, and the whole Nemesis thing feels like marketing smokescreen to hide a lack of substance in the areas I care about.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Another strike against that gimmick: Eventually you end up with enemies immune to loving everything which is just painfully unfun. It's the endgame, let me be overpowered. (In case I wasn't clear: It's not 'I hate the Nemesis system in games OTHER than Mordor, I hate it in those also)

I will now shut up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I think you are the first person I've ever seen say that. The usual complaint is the game needs to be /more/ aggressive with that stuff because it is too easy to bypass instead of using weaknesses

In fairness I'm a completionist. I suspect that may also colour my opinion. If you're beelining through the story and just see it now and then, it's probably easier to ignore how simplistic and repetitive it was, but when you're on your 5th pass over the map to try and collect all the poo poo and have seen the exact same intro cutscene and canned lines a dozen times, it's really hard to buy into the 'it lets you tell ENDLESS stories' thing. But good god, I would straight up take someone saying 'it's like that but MORE aggressive' as a neon sign telling me DO NOT BUY THIS GAME.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

It's like Alpha Protocol except all your dialogue options are Man of Steel/Man of Tomorrow/Last Son of Krypton/Metropolis Kid

:( Don't make me remember that we're never getting another Alpha Protocol because Sega are squatting on the IP.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Shirkelton posted:

It goes some crazy places, fast.

There's definitely been some choices made in what they pull from the source material. I'm not sure all of it is good (last third of the game spoilers) I'm not sure essentially turning Venom into Knull is all that interesting. The design is the superficial thing that draws people to Venom but the actual interesting thing about him as a foil for Spidey is the personal connection, the way Venom can mess with Peter in a way most of his villains at that point couldn't. Plus, tbh, the back part of the game just makes me miss Web Of Shadows

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Oh I was thinking Insomniac was third party for whatever reason. Anyway, exclusives still stink

There are only 4 game companies op

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

It might just be the period of Runaways I was was most familiar with but Nico came across as a bit more hard in the game than I remembered

She must've gone through some real poo poo in the post-Vaughn runs

Although part of that might just be the difficulty in rendering really elaborate multi-textured mall goth outfits in the X-Com engine or something

She feels about right for the Rowell run.

Drax and Peter's conversation is so good

The game's version of Quill is so much better than the MCU version it's not funny. Like, they both start with the same LOL-manchild base, but Pratt never really grows beyond that. Game Peter definitely is more than that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

It's funny how Guardians just subverted my expectations so well. I didn't think it'd be any good because I'd worry they'd ape the movies too much (and Chris Pratt IS there a bit, but it's not a 1:1) or 'you ONLY play as Star-Lord, that sucks' but it's really fun calling in the team. And it made me tear up more than The Last of Us 2 - which admittedly is to say 'at all'- and just on and on.

Also the Huddle Up was great because didn't know what was on the soundtrack so I died laughing when 'Never Gonna Give You Up' came on.

And on the flipside sometimes you'd get The Warrior or something and feel 20 feet tall.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

I don't think it's really about real life. She was a character in a show that existed in a 1940s-esque setting, who was designed like a character from the '60s show, and Sorkin mostly used her real voice but was influenced by the '50s. If they've jettisoned all the mid-century stuff since Margot Robbie then why keep the exact voice.

I mean, Robbie also does the voice. Cuoco also dips her toe in when Harley's pre-Joker past comes up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I just remembered King Shark is voiced by of all people, AEW World Heavyweight Champion Samoa Joe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, if I'm working there, I'd be updating my LinkedIn and putting out feelers NOW.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Joker and his iconic weapon, an umbrella.

Not like there are any other DC characters closely associated with umbrellas

Well, I mean, c'mon, it's not like any of those characters have a TV show coming out soon that you'd expect this game to do a cross-promotion with...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The next DLC characters are gender-swapped Mr. Freeze named Victoria Fries, Deadshot's kid who is an assassin now, and Deathstroke.

I stupidly assumed they'd do something mildly clever and use Nora Fries

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As if that wasn't obvious when they tried to get people in the beta to astroturf for them when actual journalists were poo poo-talking the preview builds? The big giveaway there was them not waiving the NDA for the footage of the beta.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GateOfD posted:

If everyone that made the Arkham Games is gone, is it still Arkham Games

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Conroy said he was told to stop doing the higher Wayne voice because it 'would confuse the audience'.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Withholding review code works somewhat for games because unlike a movie, where the reviews can basically go up the day of release even if they don't do preview screenings for the press, a lot of games you need several days or even a week or two because a review really can happen. (yes, yes, joke about games journalists being bad at games, but it takes time to finish a game, and even more if you're taking notes or exploring certain aspects to help you form your review)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vandar posted:

They ignored the New 52 nonsense about new Amazons and made the Well of Souls canon again, thank god.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/s/FqhWSnPPoC

Honestly, basically everything about the Perez-era Wonder Woman is back in canon other than the clay origin. For all people crowed about how revolutionary the New 52 run was, it seems like no-one has any interest (rightly so) in keeping most of the changes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

omg chael crash posted:

The only cannon I care about is the one I’m using to fire this game into the sun with and then doing a 360 turn away from the explosion and walking away

Then you'll be walking into the explosion

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vandar posted:

Six games. We've been with this specific Batman for six games now.

And yeah, if this wasn't Arkhamverse we wouldn't be THIS mad. We'd still be upset, but not as much. There's so many annoying little story things that would have been fixed by not having this set in the Arkhamverse.

The Deadshot retcon especially is just...dumb as gently caress.

Six? Wait, are you counting Injustice? That's very explicitly not the same world.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You can't see how it makes sense for there to be a Black Gi interacting with the Wakandans and how that could be more interesting narratively?

And I say this as someone whose favourite Marvel character might actually be the Winter Soldier.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I believe they've said all 4 are playable, I'd guess stealth for the 2 normal humans and action melee stuff for Cap and Panther. Probably some early levels where you're locked to the Americans or Wakandans until they team up and then you can choose

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Remember the DC mmo? That was actually a pretty decent game. I didn't play CoH a ton but I liked the DC one better.

It's still technically running in that way that zombie MMOs do.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Oddly I think my favorite in that line might be the original with X-Men Legends.

I agree, the POV with Magma, the willingness to get weird with how the powers work, the smaller focus, all work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They supposedly are using it for an upcoming Wonder Woman game. Every games outlet drooled about that announcement while I am thoroughly meh due to the aforementioned smoke and mirrors not really working for me.