Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Roth posted:

Yeah, Bane looks like an MK ninja in this.

I thought he looked like Cyrax or Sektor, though someone else tossed out a Fulgore comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I know I'm super late, but I have a computer capable of playing Arkham Knight now. I gotta say, I feel like it's just not as good as City. Most of my complaints are the ones that people have heard a lot, like the Batmobile not being that fun for the amount of time you have to use it, and things like that. I know that City's story gets flak around here but I thought it was fine, but Knight's story is... not great? They should have just got Paul Dini back. It's not all bad, but there's definitely enough dumb stuff to hurt it. The entire Oracle thing was dumb, I wasn't sure if she was actually dead or not, but I basically immediately went from that plot point to doing the Ra's al Ghul mission. I understand that Batman thinks using the Lazarus formula is wrong, but you'd think that this one time in this one situation he might change his mind. And then they reveal it was a Scarecrow hallucination? You'd think that Batman would have considered that possibility at some point. And I was loving pissed that Deathstroke had a Batmobile based stealth boss fight? What the gently caress, especially after the fun and cool Arkham Origins fight. And to get the full ending you have to do all the side quests, including the Riddler one, the only one I hadn't done because gently caress, I did his mission in Asylum and City. I've got 200 left to do.

I know it's not a comic (well, Moonstone puts some out on occasion but...), but the one license I would love to see Telltale tackle is Kolchak The Night Stalker, but I also haven't played much of their games so I'm not over their style either.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Ra's al Ghul stuff was all DLC so it's somewhat forgivable that it doesn't gel with the main plot at that particular point.

True, but the Mr Freeze DLC had some minor changes, voice over ones admittedly, depending on where you were at in the story. I have to say, gameplay-wise the Freeze one had problems, but I really liked the story for it. Very nice and bittersweet.

SonicRulez posted:

Knight is definitely not as good as City. The Batmobile weighs it down from a gameplay perspective and Jason weighs it down from a narrative perspective.

Even if I hadn't been spoiled on Jason, the Arkham Knight was just so whiny and unthreatening. I thought the bit immediately after you beat was decent though. Also, did they give out a story pack that took place after the game as a preorder bonus? That's pretty ballsy.

Lurdiak posted:

The stealth's also way weaker.

I've only done like, one, maybe two inverted takedowns, and that's bullshit.

Also, on the PC the controls don't feel quite as good as City, something just feels a little off, you can tell the PC port had to be massively improved, and who the gently caress would assign a combat takedown move you're supposed to do quickly to Alt-1? Thank God for key rebinding. I've also found things like environmental takedowns to be super finicky.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't feel like Jason was a spoiler, because it was the most predictable thing in the world.

They tried at least. Remember when they declared that he was a new character created by Geoff Johns? Of course, once you know it's the most obvious thing.

The bigger thing that got spoiled for me (and then turned out to be mostly pointless) was the Joker people. Yeah, Batman's bit was important but all the others? I did love Johnny Charisma's bit though, even if the stealth bit as Robin was not great. I was highly amused by getting the key code from the mirror though, you don't see mirrors often enough in games these days.

catlord fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 22, 2017

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

The best was dropping directly in front of the last guy and have him straight up drop his gun or put his hands up in terror.

Disable their gun and then drop behind and wait for them to turn around, panic, try to shoot you, and panic more when they can't.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Played A Matter of Family last night, and I can't help but feel that they should have had Jason instead of Tim as Robin in it. It would have given him a bit more to his character. Also it makes me realise that the movement abilities in Knight are pretty good, to the point where I can't think of a time when I needed the Line Launcher, so I'm always thrown when there's a puzzle I need it for because I just completely forget about it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

No, "Miss" is used for an unmarried woman (as opposed to "Mrs."). "Ms." is deliberately ambiguous and may be applied to women regardless of marital status, which is why it was adopted by feminists. They felt that women deserved an identity that was not defined by their attachment to a man.

Huh. I've been using "Miss" for unknown marital status and "Ms." for unmarried women. That's good to know.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Just finished up all of Riddler's stuff in Arkham Knight and the last three Arkham Episodes (Catwoman, Nightwing, and Robin). As much as I criticise Knight's writing, I feel like a lot of the individual beats work just fine, Batman's discussion with Catwoman after beating Riddler (which was a fun fight) was pretty good I felt. The Nightwing episode was pretty decent, if nothing spectacular. Robin had an annoying stealth section (the second one, with the three guys and the three turrets, I hosed that one up so much), but Catwoman's huge final fight loving sucked holy poo poo was that fight awful. Overall, I feel like Arkham Knight is about on par with Origins, namely it's still a really good game but with some very notable flaws that hurt it a lot.

Although, having done it in three games now, I will be perfectly happy if I never have to pick up another Riddler Trophy again.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

redbackground posted:

Are you talking about the elevator with the swarms of robots?

That one was driving me crazy until I realized that the easiest way to win is not to play not move the character AT ALL and just keep hitting the attack button and she would stay within bounds, and then I was done in no time.

Yeah, when the platform shrinks. I tried that, I did several attempts where I'd just sit in the middle and counter since hitting attack would almost always send me into the electrified portions, but I found that the electrified robots would make the counter blend in with the sparks. Eventually I saw a suggestion to just mash through as fast as you can, don't do takedowns or anything, a critical strike will generally destroy one so if you keep bouncing around you can do it. Last run I finished it before the electrified panels got anywhere near the centre.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Monaghan posted:

Having professor pig in the game as pretty awesome though

That was great because I was 100% expecting that to be the continuation of the Hush mission from City.

ImpAtom posted:

I'll probably replay AK someday if just to experience the DLC but yeah, it's by far the weakest of the games and it's almost entirely on the back of the Batmobile. If it had more good dungeons and such instead of tankfights it'd probably be easier to ignore the crap story.

I'm still pissed that you have a tankfight with Deathstroke. What a poo poo end to that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Didn't the Hulk movie game do this but with Banner?

The 2003 Hulk game had levels where you played as Banner, but I only played a little bit of the demo at a kiosk so I can't comment on how it played out.

I kinda wish the Captain America game came out on PC, it'd be nice to have something while waiting for that Damian Batman game, and as others have said, I've heard it's decent.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

I'm bad at fighting games and only played the first Injustice a grand total of about 2 hours after I bought it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_Xq17UIig

But I'll probably buy this.

What the gently caress? That's awesome, but what the gently caress?

They did say Injustice 2 was coming to PC, right? Any news on a timeframe for it, or should I expect it to be after all the DLC is done?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

They should put a Dragon's Dogma character in MvC. It should randomize the class every time you select it.

And the assist whoever they talked to most in the cinematics?

(I've not played much MvC nor played Dragon's Dogma)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Random thought: I wonder if Hellboy got into Injustice 2 over Spawn (or before Spawn) as a result of WB not being able to hammer out a deal with Todd McFarlane. He is a notorious self-styled business hardcase after all, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Didn't Todd say he'd basically hand over Spawn for MKX? I seem to remember him being really, really enthusiastic about the idea, like "I don't care about making money on this, I just want to see Spawn in this game."

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I kinda hope Spawn does make it in, I'd imagine the pre-fight banter between him and Hellboy would be great.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I'll be pissed if they ignore the Age of Wonder suit yet again.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I 100% Asylum, City, and Knight. Would have with Origins but something about combat in the main game (and only the main game, the challenge maps and Cold, Cold Heart were fine) kept me from wanting to do it.

If I never see another god drat Riddler trophy again I will die a happy man. If they have to do that again, more of the Asylum style of finding little bits that reference some comic thing would be great.

Lurdiak posted:

Bad OpenGL turn based combat?

I'm not sure what you mean by this? OpenGL? The graphics renderer?

Samuringa posted:

Have you heard of this good thing called Freedom Force, perhaps?

Freedom Force kicks rear end.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I liked all the Arkham games, but I think Origins and Knight are about on the same level for me where they're still good games, but they make some dumb decisions that drag them down to not as good as the others.

I hope we see another Batgame like them, but if I never see another Riddler Trophy it will be too soon.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

loving finally. I just hope it has more of that good Arkham gameplay.

You know, weirdly, I didn't think the Joker was a huge deal in City? His story to me felt like a smaller story, that just happened to wrap up after the main story, in a way kinda like The Dark Knight? However, I wouldn't mind in the slightest if he doesn't show up.

You know what I'd better not loving see? Any goddamn Riddler Trophies.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

A tank sneaking mission

I still cannot believe that after Origins Deathstroke fight, that your rematch in Knight is a stealth tank mission.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I thought Origins had some of the best combat in the series, the bosses weren't all fun but they were certainly better efforts than "and now fight 60 mooks because we don't know how to make a fun boss fight". The dullest part was the writing, because Batman was even more of a stubborn one dimensional rear end in a top hat than in City.

The stealth sections were kinda weak, but not as weak as the Arkham Knight ones.

Which platform did you play it on? I was on PC and for some reason I found the combat in the main campaign to be really iffy. But in Cold, Cold Heart and the challenge maps it felt good, so I don't know what the deal with that was.

Oh, I do hope that this doesn't use Origin's upgrade system, that was pretty bad how you could completely block yourself off from upgrades by accident.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I was thinking it'd be a fun way to get villains to change costumes over the course of the game, but honestly I didn't put much more thought than that into it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

That was my big problem with it. In general I prefer Jason to be dead in Batman continuity, but I get it. It's the last one. They want the whole family. So we have DLC with 3 Robins and Batgirl and Catwoman. That's fun and neat. But we really had no reason to believe Tim wasn't just the second Robin until suddenly we're getting all these Jason flashbacks. Come on. Asylum frankly pretended there wasn't even a Robin!

Wasn't there a line in Asylum where Joker suggested he killed a Robin? Anyway, I think it was a mistake for Tim to be Robin in A Matter of Family. It should have been Jason, so we could at least have seen him before he "died." As is, we never see Jason before he gets captured by the Joker (unless I'm forgetting a small scene).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

But they're pretty ambiguous.

You're all probably right, it has been a while since I last played Asylum.

FilthyImp posted:

They did an Arkham Planet in the comics. Just rounded up all the criminals, tranq'd them and dropped them off at some distant earth-like planet.

I forget how it ended because it was dumb.

It was a Countdown tie-in, that for some reason got referenced long after people decided to try to forget Countdown and all it's lovely tie-ins ever happened.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

actually Arkham World as some sort of hosed up theme park taken over by criminals could be a thing

A Matter of Family, but bigger and better?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

My money's on 1. I think this is going to be, essentially, Arkham Origins 2. Well, if it ever gets announced.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Yeah, the upgrade system in Origins was hosed up. Especially since it's super easy to accidentally make some of them impossible. I did like Origins, I put it and Knight on the same level myself, but I hope to gently caress that WB Montreal learned their lesson from that.

I was also disappointed that Joker took over Origins story. I mean, I thought it was fine, but I think a more Black Mask focused story with Joker as a side mission would have been way more interesting.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1215359587026657288

Announce the loving Batman game already, gently caress

gently caress's sake. They need better marketing, this is anti-hype.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.gamesradar.com/the-next-batman-arkham-game-is-set-to-kick-off-a-shared-dc-game-universe-claims-new-report/

Reports are saying that Montreal's new Arkham game is a soft reboot meant to kick off a shared DC game universe, including a new Superman game for next-gen from an "undisclosed studio" (come on it's Rocksteady)

Well, they're going to have loving announce the thing before they can do any of that.

No, popping up on Twitter to say "we're doing something!" and loving off for another few months doesn't count.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hm. I mean, that seems promising, but so did every other tease they did before so I think I'll hold off on getting hyped.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Mechanically I thought the Batmobile was ok, but it wore out it's welcome well before the end of the game and honestly? The gliding movement felt so good that I generally preferred to do that instead. It often felt faster too, which I'm not sure if that's because it genuinely was or if you're just able to make so many shortcuts over the city that the street-limited Batmobile felt unnecessary.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

About time they announced it. drat. Trailer looked good, haven't watched the gameplay yet but from what you're saying it's a little worrying. Batgirl's costume keeps switching from looking ok to really good to kinda bad, but I see what they're trying to do with it. Not a fan of the cowl in the late shot.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ok, having now watched the gameplay trailer, I've got some issues. Even the standard enemies seemed to be taking more of a beating than they would in the earlier games, I assume that has to do with the levelling thing they have going on there but... I'm not sure that's a great idea? I don't hate the idea on bosses like Mr. Freeze, but the standard chumps? I worry it'll do the Borderlands thing where I'd have a run of about 5 levels every... 10 or so, where the enemy health scaled higher than my damage output and were awful to fight until it managed to balance itself out again. I really don't understand why they feel like they need to shoe-horn in these extra RPG elements. Did they go into detail about the loot system? That also worries me, but I have no idea what they'd be going for with that. Also, I stand by my statement that Batgirl's cowl looks awful.

I do like the claim that you can play it solo, but I am also tired of games shoving in co-op. RE6 was awful to play solo because it was quite clearly designed around co-op, and the partner AI sucked. I hope we don't have to deal with that poo poo in this.

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Deathstroke in Origins was somewhat praised but in a real love it or hate it way.

I really liked the Deathstroke fight in Origins. Shame about the rematch in Knight.

gently caress, gently caress, gently caress Knight's Deathstroke fight. What a trash sequence, holy poo poo.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Because honestly they end up being very popular. If the core mechanics of a game end up being good enough (or even if they don't looking at you Borderlands) There's a genuine audience for those kinds of games as long as they have something to make them sell. Not every game is a success but there are enough that are successful that others want to latch on.

Are they? Or are they just in so many games that people realise they're gonna either buy a game with them or nothing?

I'm being facetious, but it feels like just about every big game has the exact same mechanics and feel, even when they're part of a series that previously hasn't been like that at all. I dunno, the only Far Cry I've played is Blood Dragon, the only Borderlands I played (well, to completion) was 2, and I completely skip the GAAS like Destiny, so it just feels weird to see everything going this way. It reminds me of how publishers keep declaring singleplayer dead, and then shock of shocks, a good singleplayer game comes out and people actually wanted that, and they'd know if they actually listened.

Also, it looks to me like in merging of the Arkham style and the Ubisoft style they've accidentally created 3D versions of those old Spider-Man beat 'em ups for the SNES/Genesis, the only thing missing is names over their life bars. Did I miss counters happening?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Well a recent example, though not multiplayer, is the new Assassin's Creed games which are heavily heavily loot/level focused now and which have been a lot more positively received than the previous attempts.

And you're not wrong but that's unfortunately a side effect of trying to chase the popular thing. Fortnite in particular is probably the golden goose a lot of people are chasing because through as much luck as anything else it not only became literally the biggest game in the world but did so by straight up copying another existing popular game and stapling it onto what was *supposed* to be a PvE horde game. Obviously not everything can be Fortnite or Angry Birds or whatever but good luck getting studio higher ups to acknowledge that, especially when their attempts tend to sell fairly well.

If The Avengers succeeds (which it probably will) it will probably be seen as due to the service model as much or moreso than the fact that it contains a bunch of incredibly popular superheroes.

Oh, I'm well aware of Ubisoft's convergence of mechanics, it's just that I've actually never heard people love the new RPG mechanics in the Assassin's Creed games, in fact, I've heard a lot of complaints about how the RPG mechanics in the new Assassin's Creeds actively hurt the assassination parts of the game. But they are still better than... Unity and Syndicate? I dunno, I only played like, 1/4 of the first one, but I heard those two were pretty crap.

The more I look at the gameplay video, the less enthused I become. I didn't even notice the two different kinds of currency you apparently get for beating enemies the first few times I examined it. I'm almost wishing we were back to the anti-hype where they make a tease then gently caress off for five months.

Edit: vv Fair.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Wait, Suicide Squad doesn't have a gameplay trailer? I thought it was just going to take a bit to drop.

Man, the video game portion of the Fandome kinda sucked.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Did they fix the PC version of Arkham Knight? I never finished that one.

More or less. I ran it fine, but I had to change the takedown buttons to what they were in the previous games. Seriously, who thought you'd be pressing Alt-1 in the middle of frantic combat?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

TBH I doubt they put much thought into keyboard controls for those games at all.

Right, but it's weird since in City and Origins that same takedown was set to 'E'. They already had keyboard controls for it! Bah, it's a 1 minute fix.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Are there any upcoming superhero games that look good? Because after this showing, Suicide Squad being a GAAS, and Avengers not only doing the same thing but sounding pretty mediocre at best, it looks pretty bleak right now. Come on, Valiant, give us that Ninjak game we've all been waiting for!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Aw, poo poo, I forgot about that because I'm a PC guy. At least the Playstation peeps have something to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

If that interview is supposed to reassure me they're taking it in the right direction, it's doing a piss-poor job of it.

quote:

Will combat feel like the Arkham games? Is this a familiar beat 'em up combat system?

Patrick Redding: "We have gone through and iterated on control schemes quite a bit over the course of the whole project, but it'll be comfortable to people who are familiar with third-person brawler type experiences."

"The way you're accessing some of your special moves and things like that can vary I'm sure, but in terms of having both attack and defensive choices, having a range of combo choices, having variations in strike types and attack types, being able to combo in your ranged attacks as well as your melee attacks - all of that is there, and I think will be comfortable for people who have played modern, contemporary third-person action-adventure style brawlers."

What the gently caress is this answer.