Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Question IRL posted:

I've been watching SA Goon Slowbeef do a LP of Batman: Arkham Origins where he is going for Platinum.

It just reminds me that the game was a lot better than all the hate it got.

To be fair, it made a lot of bad choices. The basic stuff from City is all there, and that all feels good, and then you have things like certain upgrades being blocked off because you have to do something, and there's only a couple times you can do them in the entire game, or the story fizzling a bit (I thought it was... fine, but I do agree with basically every criticism of it). Of the four main games I'd personally say it's tied for the weakest (I felt that Knight's flaws dragged it down a bit), but I also feel that the worst Arkham game is still pretty drat good.

muscles like this! posted:

Marvel's Avengers is currently $29.99 on Steam.

Oof.

Edit: vv Yup, yup, yup, 100% agree with all of that.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

It’s also got better boss fights. Yes it doesn’t have the Mr. Freeze fight from City, but Deathstroke is just the combat version of Freeze’s predator boss. And a load of the other boss fights (Copperhead, Firefly, Killer Croc, Bane) all work better than the other Arkham games boss fights.

This is one part where Origins stands head and shoulders above Knight. I was pissed at Knight's Deathstroke fight. How could they mess that up that badly?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

It occurs to me, since they were talked about earlier but I don't remember seeing it mentioned, but the Arkham games just released on GOG, as part of their current sale. $5 for the first three and $10 for Knight. They also have the Telltale Game and the Lego Batman games.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

It was pretty obvious from the gameplay trailer, but "Gotham Knights co-op means it has 'entirely redesigned' combat from Arkham". Which... hm. Nothing they've said has made me turn around on my initial thoughts, namely that the story trailer got me super hyped and then the gameplay trailer basically killed it all. Maybe if we get a new gameplay trailer that doesn't look as rear end, but man, I'm tired of "and now we're co-op!"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I love co-op gameplay, there was a pretty dark period in gaming in the 2000s where basically no game was co-op, even series that had traditionally always been.

Gotham Knights looks like garbage though.

I remember that time, and frankly it's good those days are past. I always preferred single player, so it didn't bother me much, but now we have the opposite problem with games that were traditionally single player suddenly having co-op shoved in. To be fair, it's not as bad as when the trend started (Dead Space 3? Resident Evil 5 and 6?) but it still feels like them trying to get multiplayer money out of single player games to me.

Plus, as you say, it looks like garbage.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Resident Evil 5 is great. :mad:

But a nightmare to try and play solo. RE6 tried to fix that by giving AI partners infinite ammo and health (I believe, the only time I remember a partner dying was when Helena got stuck on some zombies and got creamed by an ambulance), but it was still awful and I could not complete Chris's campaign with an AI Piers because he would not do the thing he needed to do when he needed to do it.

I hope Gotham Knights manages to make its combat good, but that gameplay video just looked so bad. I hope they release a new one soon, so we could see kinda where they were with their work, but those damage numbers and Batgirl doing a finisher and the guy getting back up because he had the tiniest sliver of health... I'm a little sceptical. Which is a shame since, as everyone else has said, the elevator pitch of being able to play the Batfamily is one I really want to be good.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Eddie works out, I'd like to think the only enhancement the suit's providing is making the booty shiny.

Kraven the Hunter posted:

I thought I'd found a weak spot where there was less symbiote cover than the rest of the body, but my bullet just bounced off his glutes.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Oh, apparently Gotham Knights got delayed to 2022. At the moment I don't have a whole lot of hope for it, but I really do want it to be good. Hopefully this is a good thing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Sounds good to me. Probably the closest we'll get to a new Freedom Force, too.

I still hold out hope for a Resident Evil X-Com-style game.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

That's... weird, especially given Chimera Squad. I mean, Chimera Squad was weird when it came out, but then this got leaked and it made sense, but if they're not doing that then... well, I'm back to being a little confused.

Or maybe it's just X-Com but your starting line-up is all named after members of the Avengers. They couldn't get the MCU actor's likenesses either.

Anyway, reading the article I'm intrigued by the mention that it's going to be more supernatural Marvel, I'm very curious to see this announced.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

At the moment I'm thinking it's this:

Retro Futurist posted:

Ok after reading the article this is just a journalist apparently relating what he was told, so it could just be a misunderstanding

Everything about it sounds kinda weird so I'm waiting for a bit more confirmation about... well, anything. When are they supposedly announcing it? Not terrible far away, right?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Huh, Midnight Sons was not what I was expecting, but hearing that made that leak make so much more sense. I always liked the supernatural side of Marvel so I am glad its getting a spotlight. Those fancy black and gold costumes at the end were a little much, but all-in-all I'm very interested.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

I won't deny this is a bit of a histrionic reaction on my behalf, but finding out that the game is card-based crashed what little amount of good will I had left

A bit ironic how they're trying so hard to go "It's not just Marvel XCOM!" when that's what I loving wanted.

Yeah, I agree. I know it's my problem and all, but I loving hate card-based mechanics in video games, and especially when they are actually represented with cards. I was really looking forward to Midnight Suns, but I did kinda also just want Marvel XCOM.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Genuine question: why is card-based gameplay such a turn-off for so many people? Is it the looming threat of microtransactions and pay-to-win design?

That's part of it. Part of it is that I just don't like the look and feel of digital cards, I find them kinda... tacky, I suppose. Part if it's that I feel like card gaming is a distinct type of gameplay that I don't go to video games for. Part of it is a sorta immersion thing I figure, as cards they are a necessary abstraction on tabletop, but that kind of abstraction is unnecessary in a video game; it makes it feel like there's an artificial layer between me and the game. Mechanically, getting a +1 Sword Card may be exactly the same as getting a +1 Sword, but the +1 Sword represents something in the game world, whereas the +1 Sword Card represents an abstraction of something represented in the game world.

My one exception is the 1996 M:tG game, probably because I was a kid when I played it so it gets grandfathered in.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ok, Jesus, I'm sorry I don't like digital cards.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

It's been a while since we've seen anything from that, I wonder what it's looking like now. They said the gameplay was still seeing adjustments after the initial reaction, if I remember. It's also kinda amusing, when I heard about Midnight Suns using cards I immediately thought of how I was hype as gently caress for Gotham Knights until I saw the gameplay. I think I even said "oh man, I just got Gotham Knights'd."

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

An article with a 20 minute video on Midnught Suns gameplay. Haven't watched the video yet, but the recap article makes it sound... fine if you like that kind of gameplay.

Edit: Watched the video. I don't know, the cinematics they showed seemed... not great, I kinda wanted to skip them, especially when Sabretooth started talking. The gameplay they showed seemed pretty chopped up, and there was a lot of mechanics that didn't get any attention at all. The turn they showed off the Doctor Strange combo it looks like they didn't draw any cards for Blade, but it isn't explained how you work around that (the redraw feature that's triggered at some point but not explained, I assume, or maybe he just runs around and throws stuff like Wolverine did in his fight). Looks like you don't draw an entirely new hand each turn? I also don't love how characters get knocked around and then immediately run back to their spot, but since it looks like at that point at least you can only move one character a turn (unless I'm misunderstanding the "Move" counter in the corner) I guess that kind of thing just isn't supposed to matter at all.

catlord fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 8, 2021

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

The Wolverine game on PS2 that I think was a movie tie in was pretty bad rear end if I remember right so I'm in.

Now someone please get to work and give me my Hulk: Ultimate Destruction remake with current gen graphics so we can finally set things right.

It was the PS3/360/PC version that kicked rear end, made by Raven, and surprisingly free to do whatever I guess, since as noted Wolverine gets shredded and regens in real time and its pretty cool.

I would love to see a new Hulk: Ultimate Destruction game, I grew up on PC so I never got a chance to really play it, but I've heard nothing but good things.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

I don't know if it will happen but if it did, I'd love for them to put Shaggy from Scooby Doo in as a DLC fighter. Lean into the meme.

Seeing as Scooby-Doo seems to be allowed to pull whatever guest characters they want from WB's back library, it seems only fair.

Lobok posted:

As his normal cartoon self or in the same, realistic, grimy bad-rear end, fully 3D modeled style as the others?

I'd say normal cartoon self for the most part, but certain specials they switch to the realistic style. Or flip that, either way.

Fake Edit: Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, the second. Switch to cartoon style for the special where Shaggy's opponent gets caught in the middle of a Scooby-Doo doors gag.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

It's... one step closer to gameplay? We're finally going to see some gameplay this year, right? At least it gave a better feel for the game than the first trailer did.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Veotax posted:

And a new Gotham Knights trailer. No gameplay, but we saw some a year (or two?) ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN5uNxcHG48

Very much not in the Arkhamverse, despite Batman being dead and stuff.

Hope we get to see a new gameplay trailer, the story trailers look good to me but the gameplay they showed last time... oof. But it did sound like they were still working on it so maybe it's gotten better.

Still, compared to Suicide Squad we at least have some idea of how it'll feel.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I'm looking forward to Champions Online 2!

Was Champions Online any good? I always thought of it as the also-ran after City of Heroes/Villains but I never tried it when I was playing the free trials of various MMOs.

Edit: vv Wait, it's still around? I thought it died some time after City of Heroes. The gently caress.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 28, 2021

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Oh, a gameplay trailer for Suicide Squad? Huh.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

As I grow older, I come to believe every franchise should have a musou series. Yes even whatever you thought of to counter me.

I mean, the Murder, She Wrote musou was a pretty big disappointment after the Titus Groan musou, I can understand them stepping back a bit on their original plans.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Gotham Knights in October. Hopefully we get new gameplay footage soon.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Which is impressive because Gotham Knights kinda looked like poo poo last time they showed it off.

I suspect we might be getting some wild behind the scenes stories from these games eventually.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

I do wonder if they were originally planning it as a live service game only to see the attitude turn on those pretty hard.

Didn't they explicitly state it's supposed to be GAAS? That was part of the reason I've generally been kinda cool on it, even before being somewhat underwhelmed by the gameplay trailer.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I would be very curious to hear what's been going on behind the scenes at both Rocksteady and WB Montreal, because obviously something's gone fucky back there if even half the rumours of development are true.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Vandar posted:

Batman '89 was the only real choice of skin for Knight. :colbert:

It looked so loving good, even if it was a little weird to see him turn his head. I loved the alternate costumes, I switched them out all the time during my playthroughs of City and Knight (I wish Origins had a cheat like City to let you change before beating the game, it had some of my favourite costumes and I wish I got to spend more time with the Gotham by Gaslight costume. Also that the '66 and Knightfall stuff wasn't Playstation exclusive).

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah I'm baffled why they did a Tim/Barbara romance in the Arkham games. It makes no sense at all and is just super distracting.

It is super weird.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Abroham Lincoln posted:

afaik they planned to use Stephanie Brown and DC made them switch her out

Are you loving kidding me.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

That makes sense as DiDio had a bug up his butt about 'brand confusion' which boiled down to mean only Barbara could be Batgirl.

Yeah, Steph's one of my favourite characters, I just didn't expect the answer to this question being Didio being an rear end in a top hat about female legacy characters after New52. Again.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Sigh, well at least we're getting to see what they've done with it since last time they showed it off.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I think I might be the only person left in the world that doesn't like online co-op, PvP or even playing poo poo on my phone.

Nah, same here.

Soonmot posted:

iT'S NOT The arkham combat system though, the preview we saw didn't have any of that flow and enemies had life bars like an MMO or even an old school beat em up.

I'm curious what they've done since then, because it looked real bad and they haven't put out any gameplay since.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Maybe it'll play better than it looks?

JordanKai posted:

That just looked like a worse version of Arkham Knight with MMO stat management bolted onto it. :sigh:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I really want to know what Tim's insane thing is going to be now.

Didn't we see it briefly in the first gameplay video? Boom tubes, I believe.

Edit: Or maybe it was tapping into the Watchtower's teleporters? Something like that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Is anybody really jazzed for this new Arkham game?

To be... fair, they are adamant it's not a new Arkham game. Given the setup for the game story, I think that's a weird choice, but whatever. I wouldn't mind that if it looked any good. :shrug:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox5VgIaBSUk

Midnight Suns release date and leaked heroes confirmed

quote:

The release date for Marvel's Midnight Suns, the turn-based tactical RPG from XCOM developer Firaxis, was made official during today's Summer Game Fest stream: Midnight Suns will be out on October 7.

How Marvel's Midnight Suns is 'the complete opposite' of XCOM

quote:

Here are a few of the ways that Midnight Suns really is the Bizarro version of XCOM (excuse the DC reference):

*In XCOM, each unit acts independently with their own resources. In Midnight Suns, three heroes all share the same turn and resources.
*In XCOM, deciding who to send charging toward near-certain death to complete an objective is an essential part of the experience. In Midnight Suns, it isn't super important which hero lifts the concrete slab off a bystander, just that it gets done.
*In XCOM, you always know what each soldier can do on a turn (shoot at aliens, mostly), but there's a chance they'll miss. In Midnight Suns, your heroes never miss, but what they can do on a turn is always changing, because their abilities are cards dealt from a shuffled deck.
*XCOM concerns such as cover and sightlines mostly don't factor in Midnight Suns. If I play one of Blade's sword attacks, for example, I can pick any target on the field and he'll automatically dash up to them before striking, regardless of how far away he started. As an XCOM player, it was hard to get my head around that. I just had to keep reminding myself that it was Opposite Day.

Although range only sometimes matters in Midnight Suns, directionality often does. Knockback abilities don't do damage unless you knock the enemy backwards into something, for instance. You can only command one hero per turn to move to an arbitrary spot on the map, while the others have to be moved as a consequence of an action they take, such as an attack. My decisions therefore started to resemble those made by pro billiards players, who are not only trying to sink a ball with each shot, but also put the cue ball in an advantageous position for the next one. For example, to effectively use Captain Marvel's Photon Beam, which skewers multiple enemies in a line, I might first have played a card which sent her to punch a goon on the other side of the map so that she'd wind up facing a line of other enemies.

It's an unusual system that could lead to some fun trick shots—you can knock Hydra goons into pits, so it literally becomes like billiards at times—but the spatial complications don't feel essential to Midnight Suns. Whereas the XCOM games are combat simulations that are inextricable from game boards, you could theoretically make a version of Midnight Suns that's purely a card game.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

Sounds worse than xcom in almost every way

Maybe it will play better than it looks and sounds.

There's also a character trailer for Gotham Knights about Nightwing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz3YjAF5mrQ

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Is there a new full gameplay video or is it just the chopped up bits of footage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

RevKrule posted:

Here's 20 minutes uncut of the fight against Venom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJVPL_GisrI

I would guess there's no "raw" footage (without narration) because as mentioned in this video, part of the deal is they have to narrate the whole thing to be able to post it.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. I watched the... FextraLife and IGN previews? The IGN one finally sorta answered the question that's been bothering me since the first gameplay videos, namely 'what does a character do if you don't draw a card for them' but it sounds like the answer is "nothing."