Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Medullah posted:

Hulk Ultimate Destruction is still the best Hulk game.

Bingo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

They expect people to redo previous stages with friends if they want to try different characters.

Also, it’s the only content in the game.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Little Mac posted:

You are the most negative individual I have ever seen on the internet, which is saying something.

I'm having a lot of fun mindlessly smashing things with friends and grinding in the Infinity things. There's a steep difficulty curve (finally wiped on the Dr. Strange fight and then wiped a few more times on the boss afterward.

You haven’t experienced much the internet has to ‘offer’, then.

Those bosses are where most people seem to be having trouble, but Ghost Rider and Scarlet Witch both perform well against them, Rider’s strong attack in particular wrecks the Mindless Ones you need to clear for the latter fight and Witch can keep everyone alive, which you need that extra buffer because the camera isn’t reliable enough to stay out of danger.

The only thing after that anywhere near as hard is the first Sniper encounter in Wakanda.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

I really don't like characters not leveling, because I like to choose characters based upon the setting. So near the end of the game, it seemed a good place to use some of the Guardians again, but I hadn't played them at all since the first level so they were all like level 7 for level 35 or something content. Not enough orbs to raise them, so blah.

Yeah, they need to give out more XP Cubes if they want to keep it like this, they also are generous with the levels of the characters as you get them, so you’re almost at a disadvantage not just using who they hand you.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I’ve been using Thor, Cap (because they’re probably the strongest characters on merit) and Black Panther and Storm because they have decent synergy coverage and you get them so late, they’re endgame level right off the bat and no one else is close.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I liked the Riddler trophy thing, but hated pretty much everything else in Origins.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I’d like a Batman game where you have to contend with fighting cops and criminals and the gameplays is mostly about using your tech and supplies to get through increasingly dangerous situations rather than just a beat em up.

A game that puts Batman on the back foot could be really exciting.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

This is just a side sequel spin off ala Uncharted: Lost Legacy so it's almost certainly just mostly reused assets in preparation for a Spider-Man 2 with both guys in it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm cool with that, I think they should just nut up and make a Miles Morales game by itself, but I like the concept and it makes sense from a business perspective.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Incredibly sad gimmick.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

No, I think I agree with you. Especially after the first movie kind of hemmed and hawwed over it and never really took a side, it would have been far more interesting to have him set the Stark stuff firmly aside.

Also, that Avengers game continues to look astoundingly dreadful, given the worm is turning pretty brutally against the whole 'games as a service' concept, I just can't imagine their implementation of it is going to wow people.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

15/16 year olds don't always make the best decisions about who to look up to

That's a nice aside, but it isn't what those films are about.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Crowetron posted:

Nice, I wonder how well it holds up after the gameplay of Injustice 2 and MK11. I'm still bitter that Hawkgirl didn't make the cut for the sequel. I liked my big mace :(

It's still alright, but Injustice 2 and MK11 are definitely the better games.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The Injustice game story is pretty threadbare and not all that interesting, but it still has one of the better moments in recent comic book adaptation memory, when they convince the other world's Batman to bring in Superman.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, it's very good. I liked what they did with the story in 2, but I was fairly disappointed they didn't include the 'real' heroes at all.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Sorry, Rocksteady, that's not the answer I have on this card. Would you like to try again?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The combat looking incredibly floaty and imprecise, the animations looking awful and the framerate tanking while a bunch of visual glitches happen throughout all the gameplay in these videos is not exactly a confidence booster, especially given they just straight up refuse to talk about their micro transaction scale and scope.

I don't know, Crystal Dynamics hasn't steered me wrong lately, so I'll probably check it out and maybe even cash in for the Beta, but man, it's insane to me that they teased this for so long and it looks so incredibly unrefined.

Also, probably not a great idea to have Casey Lynch do the voice work for your game presentation a few days after a bunch of accusations came out about him, but what do I know.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 25, 2020

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Being dead and buried in quarantine has led me to clear out the Ultimate Alliance 3 DLC for the first time and it's pretty alright, I hope the one thing that the Square Enix team take for their game is Ms Marvel unintentionally being so broken as to be the most powerful character in a game that includes God Emperor Doom, Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet and a Celestial.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Also, The Avengers has beta dates now.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1283388696750891008?s=20

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/playavengers/status/1288527207007244290?s=21

Skinhead Hawkeye is the first post-launch hero for The Avengers, plus the beta they’re putting out seems really quite significant in terms of content.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

I just hope this means that the better Hawkeye will show up soon too.

You’ll get your Ultimate Hawkeye and you’ll like it, I tell ya’.

They did have pizza dog as background graffiti in one trailer...

It would be cool if they did what Marvel Heroes did and gave you a Kate Barton or Jane Foster Thor as enhanced skins or whatever they were called.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

The devs have stated that this version is definitely supposed to be more Hawkguy than MCU Hawkeye specifically saying that they're drawing inspiration from the Fraction series.

Yeah, no kidding.

I think the gameplay they're showing off definitely looks better than what's come before, as well, it's certainly running a lot smoother. Given how gung ho they're being about how much content they have and how quickly post-launch support will come, things seem a lot more promising for the game than they did a few months ago.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I loving hate them, I don't think there's been a single one that's really excelled as anything other than a business proposition, but they are saying the right things and seem to be encouraging the right decisions, so I'm curious to see if they can pull it off.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Captain Marvel, Hawkeye, Black Panther and then I don't know, Ant-Man, Wasp or Scarlet Witch for the fourth hero in the current release slate.

Characters are a lot of work, especially in this game it seems, so I'm really curious to see how they can deliver all this content plus uphold a timely release schedule for the follow-on characters and levels, etc.

I imagine the answer's probably 'they can't', but oh well.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

omg chael crash posted:

I wonder HOW we’re getting these new characters? Did they announce a season pass? Or are they doing the whole “post launch characters are free!” nonsense that, like, For Honor did by releasing new classes that were “free” but took a poo poo load of grinding to unlock and thus encouraging you to actually pay for them.

Everything post launch is free, except for cosmetics, of which some will be paid for.

You can only pay for cosmetics, according to the developers, so as far as we can tell you just get the new content.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

And Sony being a lovely company that spearheaded the entire concept of anti-consumer exclusivity, which paid off for them repeatedly.

Someone wasn't around for the 360 era.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Is it gonna be the same Spidey from the PS4 games?

It doesn't seem like it from what they say in the article.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The Xbox and PC versions should get Bonesaw as an exclusive character.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

All the online content they've shown off so far can be done with AI controlled team-mates that operate as stand-ins for the other characters you have. There's larger stuff that you have to play with other people, but I can't imagine it'll be much more than a few raid-type content.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Avengers beta seems pretty cool? Still quite rough, but Jennifer Hale voices Maria Hill and Goose gets a mention.

Photographer mode is a little bare. Animations seem way meatier. Some of the combat could be tighter, particular Iron Man, but he as so many options some of the standard abilities feel almost superfluous.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

There's been some pretty strong rumours for a while that the first concrete information was coming at FanDome, I'm real curious to see what that game looks like, given that the idea is meant to be a GaaS type deal, where your objectives are to kill Superman, etc.

Seems like it could be either insanely cool, or really terrible.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

GaaS? Generally Accepted Auditing Standards? I guess if you're Luthor's accountant killing Superman is probably at the top of the expenses reports.

EDIT: Games as a Service. Right. I keep forgetting that's a "thing"

Sorry, it's a silly acronym (?) but it's the one I see people using all the time.

Playing more of the Avengers Beta, I am really liking what they're doing with this game. Combat feels very thoughtful, which I didn't expect.

One thing they do which I really like is that during boss battles, etc. your powers become sort of contextualised. So Hulk's charge, pick up and slam move becomes a unique grab animation when used against Abomination.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 7, 2020

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly "You are a crappy regular person with a gun who has to figure out a way to beat Superman" sounds like it could make for a fun game if done right

Like a reverse Hitman scenario.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

This is Katana, I’d advise not buying her DLC, her microtransactions trap the souls of their owners.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Still insane to me that they misjudged their own success and audience that badly.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The funniest thing about those awful looking skins is that apparently they're a timed exclusive? So you can rock a Verizon skin at some point after launch. Bizzare.

I played the beta little more this weekend, I still think that game's got something fun going on. I really wish you could play as Cap more than they give you in that beta, though.

Also, I'm really digging Miles' suit in the new game:

Infinitum posted:

Prepare for Puddlegate 2: Electric Boogaloo

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Ms Marvel and Hulk have cool intrinsic abilities, however you need to actually level them up on their skill tree to get the utility out of a lot of them. Like Ms Marvel's parry that really rounds out her intrinsic Polymorph ability, or her quick-starting block breaker attacks that make her a lot more flexible (no pun intended).

Iron Man, by contrast, has a pretty well rounded skill set to start out with and then gets more and more techniques and weapons.
Though on the flip-side, Hulk and Ms Marvel's Ultimates are both very usable right out of the gate, while Iron Man's seems to be really hurt by not having the other skill trees available.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 15, 2020

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

There's two more skill trees for each hero in the final game and you can swap out abilities that you unlock as you like, but yeah, I think if it's already getting stale for you, it's probably not going to hold your interest.

I think the other trees are mostly role-switching stuff and different effects. I know one is the Hulkbuster's weapons and upgrades.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The old ones are pretty hard to get nowadays unless they worked out something.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

They were delisted.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

No quicksilver is a weird choice.

There’s also some other stuff floating about that seems to let you in on some of the game’s story and where things go, who they fight, etc.

Also one of Cap’s unlockable suits is really close to The First Avenger suit, which is nice to see.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That Scarlet Witch didn’t?