Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That would be kind of weird since Miles is with Ganke taking pictures from the street while Spiderman stops the helicopter from falling.

Yeah not seeing why people are saying Miles is the main Spiderman just based on that trailer (unless some official press release is saying that is the case, I can't be arsed to look right now), I saw a few game news stories with that as the headline, though looking now, they might have been deleted. Feel like they might get some backlash from that if that turns out to not be the case.

Trailer was cool, made me hopeful that this'll be the Spiderman take on the Arkham games, where they just set it in an established world where Spidey has been Spidey for awhile, they can just use a bunch of his villains and make a drat good Spiderman game. Only thing I don't like is the costume, feel like the Spiderman costume has remained largely unchanged for a reason.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Lobok posted:

He's the main villain? That' surprising. In hindsight it makes sense because his goons have now been the focus of both the first trailer and this recent demo but I thought they were just doing that to show off the game while keeping the others hidden.

There will probably be a twist, Spiderman villains traditionally team up a lot more than Batman villains so they don't have to jump through as many hoops plot wise to get a good "All of my villains are teaming up to fight me?" story going. I wouldn't be surprised if a big part of the plot is a bunch of crimelords fighting a gang war while the costumed supervillains are doing their own poo poo. Osborne is running for mayor according to that billboard as well so they might have something with him too.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The Hulk movie game wasn't complete trash, it was a less good Ultimate Destruction if you really want another one of those. I remember it had bosses that would show up while you were free roaming around, leading to some pretty cool unscripted big fights.

Prototype is pretty fun but it doesn't quite capture the Hulk feeling, main character is more of a Spawn/Venom/Carnage mix.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

15 minutes of QTEs you mean.

There was regular moment to moment combat and movement in the E3 trailer. Unless you count "pressing buttons to do anything in a game" as a QTE I guess. Do agree that the actual chase part was way too QTE heavy and way too long though.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

bessantj posted:

Does anyone remember if the first Spider-Man game on the PS2 is any good? Also is the first Marvel Alliance any good?

The first Spiderman game on the PS2 would have been the movie tie in for the first movie right? Think that was supposed to be pretty bad.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance is going to be pretty graphically dated at this point but it's still a decent little smash em up RPG through a variety of Marvel settings and characters. It's pretty funny looking at who got selected to be playable back before the MCU became a big thing.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I think everyone who's had a movie was playable. But the initial team was based on New Avengers vol. 1 and the Bendis Secret War mini.

Yeah it's no big deal I just meant they gave Elektra top billing (think she's on the cover of the game with Cap, Spiderman, Thor etc) and then had Black Panther be an unlockable, Moon Knight and Colossus were Xbox 360 exclusives, there was no playable Punisher, Scarlet Witch, Vision, etc. Just sort of amusing in hindsight who they made main characters and who didn't rate at the time. Doctor Doom being the main villain and the F4 being in it at all definitely wouldn't have happened if it had been made between 2012 and 2018 either.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'm half expecting some sort of swerve around 20% of the way through where Peter ends up incapacitated or missing and you play as Miles for some amount of game.

Then Peter returns during a big boss fight and then you can swap between them at will or something. Just feels like there's something big they aren't showing off yet.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 23, 2018

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I doubt that's how that sort of thing works or if it does then I doubt it'll be quite that clean.

I did buy the second season of Batman the other day though, just in case and then played through all of season 1 over this weekend, that was pretty drat good, a few pacing issues with certain character arcs but overall a pretty good Batman adventure. Looking forward to starting season 2 asap. I never heard anything particularly good about the GoTG game though so I take it that isn't worth getting even if it may at some point become completely unavailable?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
There's ways it could be great and ways it could be awful. WB don't have the best form in the past with this kinda thing which is troubling. If the rumors of it being initially Superman and Batman with other characters being added later are true then you could see it being a big open world (say, Gotham/Metropolis as separate big maps) with a story that involves both in a similar style to the Arkham games with a proper ending and then the "games as a service part" is them trying to convince you to buy subsequent "issues" of new story chapters or other characters that have their own missions/abilities/challenges. Could make it so you can play any characters for free in a couple challenges like the freeform combat/stealth stuff from the Arkham games but to play them in the main game and all of the challenges you have to buy them? Then support the game with new free poo poo to do for Batman/Superman and any characters you do have so people have a feeling of continued value even if they don't buy any of the additional poo poo?

I don't know, I assumed whatever they're making would be similar to the Arkham games which don't feel like they lend themselves to this sort of business model to me but the above would be my best guess at a positive implementation. In the Arkham games all the DLC was pretty underwhelming even when I got them on sale so didn't feel like Rocksteady had a great grasp on how to pull that stuff off. Usually games as a service model brings to mind loot (and loot boxes), grindable content, competitive multiplayer, lots of vanity options for customisation stuff. None of which really fits a licensed superhero game singleplayer thing but I guess we'll see at the game awards if the rumors it's being revealed there are true.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's not like the old Ultimate Alliance games were graphical powerhouses for their time either. They were OK looking. As long as it has similar feeling gameplay and the same deep cuts in terms of enemies, costumes, references and poo poo, could be good. Hopefully the F4 still get in even if they don't warrant being in a trailer these days.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I guess they could make it like, you're a shield agent but then you get dosed with one of the billions ways you get superpowers in the Marvel universe and then you get to customise your power set and get secondary mutations as you go on adventures and poo poo. Would still feel like an odd choice to me.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Well, I just finished the second level of UA3 and figured I'd give some impressions in case anyone was curious about the game. It's more UA1 (good) than UA2 (bad) so far, but again, I'm only 2 levels in so take that with a grain of salt:

[list]
[*]Characters don't level evenly, so if you want to suddenly change things up and try some other characters that you got earlier, well get ready to eat poo poo for a while doing less damage and getting wrecked easier while you grind it out. They've added a way to help catch up by letting you use these EXP cubes you collect around stages to give them a quick boost but the cubes aren't growing on trees or anything. Wouldn't it have been easier to just level all the characters evenly to just a level or two behind your mains? It just seems a shame that (if you're like me) the earlier characters get shelved and then get useless fast just because I wanted to try the shiny new characters.

Yeah the characters not levelling with you is really weird, it'd be fine if they'd be like, a level behind because that's easily remedied but Wasp just joined me and she was level 17 which implies the area I'm in would be around there, nearly everyone on my team is about 10/11 because I've just been switching as I feel like it and now I'm at a boss which feels like a hard brick wall.

It's one of those really baffling design decisions because like, did they think people would just pick a team of 4 who were available at the start and play through the whole game with them only adding new people when they joined?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

My guess is they ditch the Arkham name for the new one, and it probably isn't in continuity with those games.

People said that after City, like "how could they possibly justify calling it Arkham whatever after City was already kind of a stretch" but it's the name of the series now, if they just call it Batman whatever then people would think it's some other series on store shelves/in digital stores. They'll probably call it something like "Arkham Lives" or "Arkham Stories" or something and the justification will be that the seeds of the bad guys plot were hatched in old Arkham or something.

This is if we're talking about this supposed new game by the Montreal studio btw that's got the Court of Owls as the main villains. Whatever Rocksteady London is working on is probably something crazy and spanning the entire DC universe at this point since they've spent most of this console gen working on it now and still haven't revealed it, meaning it has to be next gen at this point. That will probably not be called Arkham whatever.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'd love a really tactical semi open world Punisher game in the vein of Punisher Max. Something like Mafia 3 or the original Crackdown where you have a bunch of targets and can take them out in any order with some scripted proper shoot em up missions for the bosses. Make Frank quite fragile so you have to really plan out the attack on targets, do some recon, interrogate the low level guys to get info, then tool up and go out, set up kill zones, put down landmines on the exits to wherever the bad guys are hiding out etc.

The original Xbox Punisher was very enjoyable back in the day so I'd also be fine with something like that again as well.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It seems too early for it to be a full open world sequel to PS4 Spider-Man to me, not even two years since that last one came out. Possibly a sort teaser thing? Like £30 and a bunch of missions with Miles and his new mechanics with a smaller chunk of open world with the story being him learning his powers with Pete as the mentor and then a sequel with both characters playable later and following up the story stuff from the first game? Sony has form doing that, they made an Infamous game with the girl with the light powers that was apparently better than the main game it was based on.

If it is actually a full sequel coming out in time for christmas then hell yeah I guess.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 11, 2020

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Well it's also one of these "games as a service" games isn't it, which for some people might be reason enough to write it off straight away. So far it seems to be a third person action game with at least 6 playable characters and a single player story where you can do some missions co-operatively, it looks like there are your scripted story missions and then things that are like "hey Hydra is attacking a dam, fight them!" that would be the latter and repeatable. Then when you finish it they would very much like you to keep playing it and spending money on it so it'll have repeatable missions and gear and stuff which I assume is what that picture is trying to show off on the characters.

They had a very bad E3 showing last year and then went radio silent pretty much, think they put out a video explaining some stuff last year and a thing that showed Ms Marvel is the main character for the initial part of the story and they seem to be failing to really explain what the game is at all. If they hit the right balance then it could be a more modern take on the Ultimate Alliance games with even more focus on repeatability and more differences in the playable characters (I'm guessing Captain Marvel and a few of the other big second tier Avengers will be playable as well) with a mix of free content being added and new characters/big story arcs being added for money. Alternatively it might be a game riddled with the modern style of FOMO bullshit, aggressive microtransactions and the content in the base game might be incredibly slight and crap. Square Enix can swing pretty wildly in the games they publish and the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games have been pretty good I think, just not sure if the style of game they're making is something I want to play.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So obviously there's nothing out about it but I really hope it isn't just very similar to the Arkham games but with a team of characters instead of Batman. They've spent 5 years making it so there's gotta be something more to it than that I would think.

Again since there's no official details this is an overreaction but the tagline or title of the game potentially being "kill the Justice League" is not getting it off to great start for me, feels a bit much. That seems like the more modern style of the Suicide Squad where they're a weird supposed "counter" to the Justice League which doesn't really make sense to me unless you pack it with power house villains (but then them being arrested and interested in the offer of reduced jail time is kinda weird). Personally I prefer the older style where they're just doing deniable ops stuff or weird high stakes heists like in the JLU episode where the government wants a thing on the JLU satellite but doesn't want them to know.

Would be really cool if it isn't purely a third person action game and has some planning stuff for missions, like a more involved version of the heist planning stuff in GTA V but not restricted to 6 missions in a 100 mission game. Have you pick from a roster for a couple specific aspects of a mission and then you play them out.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Professor Wayne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWM5uha3ZMk

More info on the Avengers game. To me, it looks like a loot-treadmill with micro-transactions that has multiplayer as an afterthought. I can look past the Spaceballs-stunt double character designs, but that doesn't exactly seem like a great gameplay formula.

Well they mention new heroes and new content being added for free as well as costumes and cosmetics (and then mentioned some of those latter will be available to buy as well which is not the worst from my perspective, depends on how good the stuff available for free is), if they stick to that promise, the content in the game at launch is substantial enough, tells a full story and the core gameplay in the game is enjoyable enough then that could be somewhat compelling, that is a lot of ifs though. Making Kamala Khan Ms Marvel the initial focus character and M.O.D.O.K the main villain is at least different enough for a story as well.

I played a shitload of the first two Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, just smashing up enemies and levelling my guys up cause it was satisfying as hell. This could scratch that same itch with a little bit more depth, main concern based on those vids however is the big robots in the Thor gameplay looked a bit too tanky imo, like they were taking quite awhile to kill. If every other fight is against a big enemy that takes that long, that could get old pretty fast.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 24, 2020

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Achernar posted:

I don't give a drat about Saints Row 5 but will immediately slam down money for Saints Row 2 Remastered.

On topic: I picked up a Switch recently and was wondering if I should pick up Ultimate Alliance 3 or track down one of the older ones instead.

Unless you really like the characters that are only in the new one, the old ones are much better imo.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Maybe I'll go back to 3 at some point but there were so many decisions that really put me off that I'm not exactly aching to go back. Making it so when you unlocked a new character they were fully levelled up to where you were but characters not on your team didn't level passively at all was a massive bummer and really made switching around my roster between missions a massive pain. I know there were those consumables for levelling but nowhere enough. Enemies just felt like they took ages to die as well.

I think I beat MUA 1 and 2 at least a couple times back in the day but only got up to the Dr Strange/Ghost Rider section of 3 I think. Probably one of the games I most regret getting at full price in the last few years.

MUA 2 was fine, definitely less good than 1 but it had some decent characters that weren't in 1 and some cool locales and the moment to moment combat was just as satisfying. Civil War is inherently a lot less fun that the big cosmic wackiness the first game had though and the last third got very generic and lost a lot of that classic comic vibe.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I hesitate to mention it, but the thing that has me most excited about Gotham Knight is no Joker so far.

There's gonna be 4 Jokers as the late game reveal. One for each of the playable protags.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
If it is straight up "you control a team of Avengers/Marvel heroes and fight through Hydra goons, Ultron robots and such" then I hope they're allowed to get weird with it and have some odder picks like Ghost Rider or Blade alongside the obvious inclusions of Iron Man, Cap, etc.

I also hope they make the characters look very different from the MCU since that Square Avengers game got way too much poo poo for having the characters look sort of like them but not really and that ended up being the least of that games problems. Just got tired of the easy dunking on them for something that was ultimately somewhat reasonable (they couldn't afford 5 mega actors likeness rights). It'd also just be good to get some more of the vibrancy and weirdness of the comic costumes in if possible.

Somebody mentioning Freedom Force has made me extremely nostalgic for those games and if an X-Com alike could capture that tone, that'd be loving great but that's probably too much to expect. To people decrying this as some utter waste of Firaxis's talents, I have to imagine they pitched Disney on something and this isn't Disney going from out of nowhere "you know what'll really sell gangbusters? A Marvel turn based strategy game by the X-Com guys, lets force them to make one!". So it might actually be good potentially.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

To be fair, I don't think anyone wanted the Square game to have actor likenesses. We would have all preferred if they didn't look like them at all. The weird half measure thing they did was distracting and bad.

Yeah, I get that somewhat but I didn't find them particularly distracting I guess? It felt like a pretty standard thing that has happened in cartoons and even the comics, the characters will vary from issue to issue. It just seemed like that game got a lot of stick for it which felt somewhat undeserved but to be fair it did debut with one of the most powerfully confusing and evasive pitches in videogame history for what should have been an easy slam dunk. I think that probably contributed, people could barely understand what the gently caress the game even was and so the "hah, they look like the Avengers stunt doubles" thing took off cause there wasn't much else to talk about.

Then it came out and was quite poo poo, probably the second worst launch of one of these games as a service games after Anthem? So ultimately, it deserved all of that mockery and more.

Also I thought I was posting the "hey guys maybe don't poo poo all over this game post" in the X-com thread and not the comic book games thread so I feel a bit stupid now cause most of the people in here aren't pre-emptively making GBS threads on it. Oops.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

GotG is a fairly darn fun game if you are okay with what amounts to Uncharted GotG edition

How long is it and is there any replayability? I know you only play as Starlord but I don't know if there's like, an upgrade tree for the rest of the team or whatever. The surprisingly positive reviews have got me tempted since this winter season is pretty quiet for games that interest me.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think Last of Us got a rerelease on PS4 which they called remastered like a year after the original, maybe a little longer.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think that could be a good game (I guess anything could be, conceptually) but it would have to overcome the intense deriding it would get from the moment it got unveiled.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Probably a bit of both, they seem to have ludicrous expectations of their games sales but also GoTG could have sold disappointingly even for a realistic expectation. I think in the same thing they did say they were going to try a long tail approach to it's sales which is probably just putting a bit of polish on it but I dunno, it could do well in the long term or not.

It's a shame if that team doesn't get to make another one but also, not every thing has to have a sequel, it told a decent, full story that had an ending (I don't actually remember if it did a sequel hook tbh, other than all the "Thanos is still alive and out there" stuff which they did throughout) so if it doesn't, ah well.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

catlord posted:

Didn't they explicitly state it's supposed to be GAAS? That was part of the reason I've generally been kinda cool on it, even before being somewhat underwhelmed by the gameplay trailer.

I can't remember if they've really said much about the structure of the game but the Batman one definitely was when they announced it and the rumors circling whatever Rocksteady was working on before they officially announced Suicide Squad was that it definitely was a games as a service game so if it isn't now it probably was at some point in it's development history.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

site posted:

i had never even heard of sunset overdrive before this humble sale. is it good?

It's an open world third person shooter made by the ratchet and clank folks with all the wacky weapons that you'd expect and a tony hawks style movement system with rewards for combos and never stopping moving, it feels quite good to play and has a pretty decent style graphically, that is married to a really, really divisive tone for the story, presentation and dialogue though, I'd recommend watching the opening cutscene on youtube, maybe the first half hour even cause it really, really turns some people off. I enjoyed it well enough but it's very much a throwaway thing, sorta reminds me of Crackdown or games of that type.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

MorningMoon posted:

Would love to be proven wrong, but at this point I'm just expecting an expose on Rocksteady to drop in the next year or so revealing it was always a shithole or something. Or on the more "positive" side that WB became hell to work with in 2013ish and everyone kept leaving Rocksteady.

That..... that already happened? There was a big thing in 2020 about how out of 200 or 300 employees only 13 or 17 (can't remember the exact numbers for either of those things but they were in those ballparks) were women and nearly all of them had suffered harassment in their roles, then some huge amount of the rest of the workforce had suffered abuse/jokes about their orientation or ethnicity or various other things and the lead writer of the suicide squad game asked for her name to be taken off the project because of the working conditions on the game.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

MorningMoon posted:

Can't wait for that trailer tomorrow because in my head this game's a Destiny style game but with melee combat from the batfamily, and I would really, really like that not to be the case. Don't want DC's take on Avengers by Crystal Dynamics.

I think that is exactly what it is so unless they've retooled it since they showed it the first time you may be disappointed. The first trailer was of a mission against Mr Freeze but at the end they were like "this is a bespoke story mission that once beaten becomes a repeatable mission you could beat again and again".

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Even the Punisher game went into black and white if you killed folks in the interrogations if I recall correctly? Was only PC where you could edit that part out and see them in colour.

I think you don't see the lesser known heroes starring in games is cause those games would kinda be B tier games and there's no/very few studios making games at that level these days, especially licensed games. It's either mobile or AAA games with very little in between.

I'm curious to see more of the Firaxis Marvel game, I should be right in the target audience for that game but the reveal kinda left me cold.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They mean the big guy next to her who isn’t venom or hulk I think?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I thought maybe Vision just cause of the yellow crystals on the wrists and scarlet witch being on the other side but he’d probably be more colourful or robot-y looking if so (I assume since it’s a crazy powerful demon lady pretty much any character is on the table in terms of “how exactly is this possession working on x character”).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I try not to be too nitpicky about preview footage because I know it's always on a super low difficulty level, early in the game or outright a basic build of the game or all three together, with that in mind that core gameplay in the Gamespot footage looks... fine but extremely long winded for what it actually was. The one RevKrule just posted was a bit better though.

The Gamespot footage was 15 minutes of 3 characters using the same moves again and again on one big enemy who got to act once each turn and two reinforcements coming in, standing right next to the main characters rather than in any position where you'd have to extend out and risk being split up a bit. Then they just get one shotted over and over again with trivial ease which makes sense since they're Hydra goons so you expect the main characters to be able to twat them pretty easily but as a result at no point did there seem to be any risk to any of the player characters really cause the max damage they were ever dealt was about a tenth of their max health. It looked like the tutorial for a phone game (not graphical quality wise but content wise) and it might actually be the tutorial to be fair I suppose.

When they announced it and it became clear it was a strategy game but different from an X-Com, I assumed it'd be a lot more dynamic and bombastic, sorta like the turn based strategy equivalent of a musou game where you'd have a tonne of the poo poo goons and they'd be trivial in the extreme but then sprinkled in would be bigger enemies, you'd have a team of 5 or 6 heroes and you'd be smashing up multi level environments, using stuff to corral enemies together and smashing them all at once, that kinda thing.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Lobok posted:

Expect them to do what to the Hydra goons?

British slang, in this context it means hit them but it's a pretty varied word in the UK contextually. Sorry, I forgot that means just one thing in the US.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It seems like each hero has a deck of cards that represent their moves/abilities and are usually pretty thematically linked as well. You go into a mission and it shuffles all of them together and you draw 5 every turn, you can play 3 of them and move 1 hero once each turn, cards that have you attacking do the movement for you so the single move is just to position for piercing beam attacks or aoe or whatever. There's a bunch of keywords that activate certain things as well (so like a fast card gives you back a card play if you kill someone with whatever the effect on the fast card is). Each hero also has a special card that ties into a unique mechanic for them, usually driven by a pool of hero points that you get for KO'ing enemies.

The "mook" enemies all die in one shot from literally anything that does damage, there's bigger minions that have actual health bars and usually special effects/abilities and then the big bosses that have multiple health bars. The environmental stuff so far looks pretty simple, knocking enemies into explosives, electrical stuff or portals into hell created by Ghost Rider, that kinda thing. It does look like there's some advance knowledge of who is targeting who on the next turn, there's some taunt abilities and some enemies have a countdown where it ticks down for every card you play and they get an action straight away on your turn if it ticks down.

All the gameplay videos I've seen so far look like it's taking part in city streets or inside/on top of buildings entirely, there's nothing that looks like you can knock a guy through a wall from the street into a convenience store or big multi level indoor environments which if true is a bit disappointing and the one thing I'd say "no that is something from X-Com you should endeavor to keep in making a superhero turn based combat game" personally. Could just be the gameplay is all from very early in the game and the environments start getting bigger and more permissive later on though, I kinda doubt it though.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

every bit of gotham knights footage that has characters like stealthing around and doing heavily scripted arkham bits makes me go "how the gently caress does this work in multiplayer"

The way they've been showing it more recently, the co-op has barely been focused on when it was the whole thing in the original first reveal. Obviously they haven't gotten rid of it but I wonder if they've just decided to de-emphasise it in trailers/pre release stuff. I guess they show the dual takedowns a lot cause those are like your big cool things but yeah hard to see how well the plot bits where you're quietly pootling around a location doing crime scene stuff will work particularly well in co-op with people talking over stuff. Aspects like player collision, animations and stuff all have the potential to look super weird and janky as well.

Might end up being one of those things where most people play the main story part solo and then the part folks play in co-op is the "endgame" which are the repeatable missions against the big ticket villains like the Freeze mission they showed off in that initial reveal. I hate that so many modern games have to answer the "but what about an endgame" question when the answer most of the time should truthfully be "you're done with the game, go play another game" but it's where we're at now apparently.

Either way I'm open to the idea of it being good, it's made by the folks who made Origins right? I enjoyed all the games and it's been 7 years since Knight, surprised they left the gap as long as they did. If it gets good reviews that say it's a decent enough time I might get it, a bit annoyed that it looks like Batgirl is very similar to how Batman played, she's probably the one I like most out of the 4 as a character but if she is pretty much just Batman then I'll probably play one of the others just to mix it up. If the co-op is good I probably won't be able to play it anyway, most of my friends play on PC but mine isn't powerful enough I think and it apparently won't have crossplay.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 25, 2022

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Soonmot posted:

chuds are gonna poo poo themselves, four characters and only one is white lololol

day 1 purchase no matter the quality

Imagine if Cap wears a combat helmet and mask for the entire game and they never mention Steve at all and then at a pivotal moment near the end he takes it off and it's Isaiah Bradley underneath.

Just make some whiners poo poo their breeches even more AND have a cool character who probably wouldn't ever star in a game otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
For the majority of the MCU's existence though, big budget licensed games have been the exception rather than the norm. As opposed to the 360 era and before where every movie got a tie in game on the big consoles of the time, for most of the 2010s you got mobile games instead so it didn't surprise me they didn't make a triple A game based on Black Panther, the Infinity Wars stuff or whatever. Obviously the Arkham games and Spiderman being the big exceptions (I'm probably forgetting one or two as well to be fair) for that era and probably the latter is what's helped convince some studios to chuck some money around a bit.

Now with this Iron Man game, the Cap/Black Panther game and such, it seems like that's turning a bit but it takes time for the big companies to make that sort of pivot, pitch stuff and then make something to the point where they can announce it, covid probably didn't help either but we're probably seeing that wave of stuff that's been worked on for the last few years start to crest now. Wouldn't surprise me if we see a few more announcements of some other big ones as well.