Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a choice. Those Japanese anime fighters are not accessible, and when you're making a Superman and Batman game you want to be accessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Yeah mechanically I don't think NRS is particularly accessible. Every character keying off a series of command normals that have to be cancelled into ground bounces and OTGs to combo is actually pretty up there in terms of complexity.

I mean, you can mash it out casually, but you can do that with most fighting games to about the same level of competence.

You can beat the story without doing any of that.

Playing that way will get you 2 or 3 fights into a ladder in other games.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Are the traits unbalanced? Batman's seems to be three quick weak free hits that vanish if you so much as get bumped into while Superman's appears to be a power boost that lasts loving forever

Those weak damage traits are usually meant to extend combos.

So the little bots don't do much but if you know your Batman they let you combo harder.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Calaveron posted:

I thought superman was more vulnerable to magic than a regular human. Like Zatanna could say tihs ruoy stnap and a human could probably last longer without voiding their bowels than supes

It's inconsistent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a whole year of Injustice.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Nope, he's supposed to be as vulnerable to magic as an in-shape human would be.

I'm literally impervious to magic though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I saw a documentary that confirmed they do.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I'm pretty happy the new Marvel Lego game is Super Hereos not Avengers. I liked Lego Avengers, but having a completely unique plot and the dialog isn't just taken from the movies is just so much better.

Looking like still no mutants though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a bit odd how they've just opened the X-Men cage on mobile games, and MvC and Lego Marvel 2 are both mutant-less.

Must have only been a recent decision.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Pretty disappointed by the Spider-Man gameplay demo. It really doesn't seem all that separated from the last gen of Spidey games.
Could never have guessed that I'd come away more interested in Mario/Rabbids :/

Everyone should be looking up the developers on that one before getting excited.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

Trailer was cool, made me hopeful that this'll be the Spiderman take on the Arkham games, where they just set it in an established world where Spidey has been Spidey for awhile, they can just use a bunch of his villains and make a drat good Spiderman game. Only thing I don't like is the costume, feel like the Spiderman costume has remained largely unchanged for a reason.

They actually already did that with the last Spider-Man game. It was pretty good.

(The current Spider-Man costume in the comics is a neon mess incidentally.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just to put it into perspective, Champions Online works off a character@username system, where only the latter part needs to be unique and isn't displayed above your head.

So every Deathiroth4 in the game chose that, they weren't forced to.

Champions started its life as a Marvel game though so basically every Marvel character is in the forbidden names list (even incredibly obscure ones) but they didn't bother to block anything but the major DC characters. Superman no, Superboy sure.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They'll probably release a few as DLC.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

You could even just say "Marvel wants to focus more on heroes appearing in the Marvel Cinematic Universe"

They can't blame the license holder, they need to blame the customer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

Did they give some nonsense official reason/statement? Are players being compensated?

They renewed their license and now no longer have the rights to use them.

And they're not taking it away from anyone who has it, so no.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You could read the article.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

I think they were saying that because Batman doesn't know who the guy is in the game, being his early adventures, so he goes by John Doe for most of it. They're assuming you'll get it's Joker by context.

They're not assuming anything, the article says he's Joker but they're doing their own Joker origin story.

That's why it's in quotation marks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phase one all had tie in games, and Avengers was going to but it was cancelled.

They were all as bad as you would expect and why it stopped.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

The Avengers had a flash-player tie in game on Facebook, called Avengers Alliance.

And no joke, just like the Injustice Comic, it was literally 10 billion times better than you would assume based on that summary. That game was aces and ran for about five or six years.

Avengers Alliance wasn't in the MCU though. They referenced it plenty but it had X-Men and the Fantastic Four.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PC's not so bad. Lots of goons earned almost the whole roster for free.

Not sure about the console version.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Capcom also hasn't made a good successful game in a long time so they can't afford to do anything new. Like literally can't afford.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I said good successful. They have successes, but they're not good.

Yes I mean Monster Hunter is bad. Fight me. I'll be in 2017 while you're still doing janky rear end 2003 animations and have to resort to invincibility frames.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wanderer posted:

I don't much care for the franchise either, but you and I appear to be outnumbered by--[looks out windows, counts heads, does math]--the entire population of the Japanese archipelago.

All it took last time was one fat man and one little boy.

I'm neither but I figure I have at least the combat prowess of a small child. You better bulk up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Love to advocate genocide because a country likes a video game I don't. That's a thing a healthy person does.

It's also where the people who made it live. 2 birds.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's what I would guess too, just because it's a real picture (or part of one) in a cartoon styled game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not Sony, but Microsoft was not ready and pulled it out of their rear end.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sony had been talking about the PS3 having a 10 year lifespan for years before the Wii U was a thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah I plopped a 2 TB drive into my PS4 which was the best thing I could have done.

They can also use external drives now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They showed like 15 minutes of gameplay last time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

There was regular moment to moment combat and movement in the E3 trailer. Unless you count "pressing buttons to do anything in a game" as a QTE I guess. Do agree that the actual chase part was way too QTE heavy and way too long though.

I mean, there's only so much you can do with a boss fight with a helicopter I guess.

I would imagine the boss fights against actual people are less like that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It seems to have the standard Not Naughty Dog human character look for this gen. Slightly off, kind of always look like they're making a frightened face.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samuringa posted:

78.1% of players finished the first chapter of TWD; 37.1% finished the last. That's a 40% drop on a game where all you do is click on choices, it's no surprise someone might not beat the first boss of DS3.

To be fair, that's not exclusive to games, many times I've watched a couple of episodes of some tv show and then gave up, not even because they're bad. There's just a lot of stuff to do online nowadays.

In that specific example, I think the first chapter has been offered for a free a few times.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah that makes sense.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I guess this is closer to my dream open world sandbox superhero game. Like GTA but you're Iron Man or something. You can just scoot around looking for trouble, random stuff will pop up you can do, plus missions that you can do whenever you want.

Yes I know there are Iron Man mods for GTAV.

This is what the trailer for Anthem looked like but I’m sure it’ll be disappointing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a thing in Games for some reason.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Back in my day you used to get Lego DC Heroes and Villains in the same game!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vakal posted:

Who ever has the rights to the Prototype engine should really use it to either make a Superman or the Hulk game.

They did make a Hulk game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Make a Green Arrow game.

The open world bow genre has had some really good titles, slap some Batman grapple hooking and/or toned down Spidey-swinging in there and ship it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Superman protecting the city was always dumb because he could just wait and use his wall building vision afterwards to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Spider-Man PS4 is also looking to be free flow-y.

The last multi-plat Spider-Man game or two also had that system. Spider-Sense makes more sense for the prompts than ??? though.