Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Lurdiak posted:

Because Capcom made it.

What's the last good game they made? Dragon's Dogma?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah, and even that's incredibly obviously unfinished.

As for the last good fighting game they made? I think that was Capcom vs SNK 2 EO or Third Strike, depending on how you count the releases.

I'm seriously surprised a lot of people are just now realizing modern Capcom sucks. Like how far does Playstation-era nostalgia go?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

MvCI having no assists is bananas. It's like making a Megaman game with no boss powers, or a Castlevania game with no wall turkeys.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't care how much Capcom sucks, you can pry Ace Attorney from my cold dead hands.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

That's a really silly comment. Dragon's Dogma came out in 2012. Since then they've put out multiple well-recieved Monster Hunter and Phoenix Wright titles and they just released Resident Evil 7 which had a pretty drat positive reception. In fact it had a significantly more positive reception than Dragon's Dogma did.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

That's a really silly comment. Dragon's Dogma came out in 2012. Since then they've put out multiple well-recieved Monster Hunter and Phoenix Wright titles and they just released Resident Evil 7 which had a pretty drat positive reception. In fact it had a significantly more positive reception than Dragon's Dogma did.

So yeah, Dragon's Dogma.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

So yeah, Dragon's Dogma.

No, Lurdiak, that is not actually what I said at all. Thanks for being a pointless rear end in a top hat though because you're incapable of actually discussing a video game company without needless hyperbole.

Like it or not, Capcom has had actual successes since 2012. If you're discussing fan reception then they have. If you're discussing sales receptions then they have. And if you're waving the Dragon's Dogma flag then you probably should have some actual qualification for what you're talking about. If you, personally, don't enjoy anything Capcom has released since 2012 that basically matters jack and poo poo to a discussion like this.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 19, 2017

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

So yeah, Dragon's Dogma.

Resident Evil 7 is the game of the year ya jerk.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Monaghan posted:

Couple reasons off the top of my head.
1. Graphics are sup-par
2. The roster is uninspiring
3. They made it 2v2 for no discernible reason.
4. They got rid of the fun/importance of having a good team composition by removing assists, replacing those with gems.
5. Lot of the characters are just copy and pasted from mvc 3.
6. Gameplay seems kinda clunky (at least in the video's I've seen.)

I was at E3 last week and I played both MVC:I and DBFZ.

1 & 2 I'll give you.

3: it's because the gem gives you a lot of options and the rapid-tag system lets you basically create your own assists. A lot of specials and supers aren't interrupted by tagging out, so for example, you can start up X's beam, tag out, and rush in while X is blasting.

4: nah, good team composition will still be a factor, since some characters will be a lot easier to set up assists/combos with than others. I'm not much of a theorycrafter, but I expect you'll want somebody with decent projectiles to cover for somebody without so much mobility, and your Gem selection is important enough that it'll also affect your team composition.

5: not really. A lot of them have new moves or play substantially differently due to changes in the overall mechanics; Iron Man's a lot faster (he seems to be the "Magneto" of this game, as far as rushdown goes), Captain America inherited Taskmaster's counter, Rocket lost most of his traps but gained Groot assists, etc. A lot of them may have similar-looking or -performing normals or special moves, but that was also the case from MVC2 to MVC3. I do think that it's playing its roster way too safe, especially when compared to MVC3 (no big weird dudes like MODOK, very few female characters, very few new characters at all), but it's a very different game overall and it feels like it.

6: the story demo is pretty awful, but it's not clunky. What you're seeing is the result of videos from people who are trying to figure the game out, since the button arrangements changed, and the overall game does feel a bit slower. It flows very well once you have a grasp on the basics.

Right now, I think it's that there's enough visibly wrong or weird with MVC:I that it would be concerning from any company, let alone one with Capcom's current terrible reputation. The fanbase seems to have wanted a UMVC4 that was basically the same with a larger roster and an extensive balance patch (Morrigan shouldn't be able to do half the things she does; Vergil's entire gameplay, IIRC, is based around a glitch with Round Trip), but instead, they got all this. I expect a lot of it's down to the fact that MVC3 is notorious for being so frenetic that a layman has a hard time understanding what's going onscreen at all, let alone playing it, and they're chasing those casual dollars for all they're worth. Fans are already salty about SFV and this is an excuse to vent.

MVC:I also feels a lot like it was made by pro FGC guys for pro FGC guys, as its high-level game is already pretty ridiculous. So far, I've already seen combos that contain multiple tags, baiting the burst swap so you can wipe out your opponent's whole team at once, customizing your assists, and some seriously degenerate play involving the Time Gem and projectiles. Guys like Ryu can outrun their own fireball by using the Time Gem dash and use it as a cross-up. The Reality Gem gives you a lot of weird lockdown potential since its ice trait freezes your target to the floor; Morrigan suddenly turns into UMVC3 Morrigan again if you activate the Time Gem storm, complete with 10 seconds of four to eight Soul Fists onscreen at once; and Zero can be confidently expected to be broken, because Zero is broken in every fighting game he's ever been in. It's going to be a nasty game at tournament level.

Conversely, DBFZ is basically the result of UMVC3 and Guilty Gear having a crack baby. The graphics are pretty impressive, it has stuff like projectiles and teleports as standard parts of the character set, and a lot of it feels like somebody deliberately trying to jump into the gap that UMVC3 was leaving in the market. It's only about 20% done, though, and I'm genuinely curious how it'll play once the rest of the cast is in. There's a non-trivial chance that it might be too anime for its own good, though, as it's pretty easy to get to a point where there's so much god drat Kamehameha going on that you can't see what's happening onscreen. I'd hope that future characters have less blasting and more basic variance. (Vegeta basically has Amaterasu's Cold Star assist, which is weird. I would've expected his assist to be coming onscreen to scream at you about how you shouldn't need his help.)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't know if I could ever pull it off because I've always been a fighting game scrub but there was one thing that totally sold me on DBZF and it was the fact that just before you unleash your Kamehameha as Goku you can Instant Transmission to get right up in your opponent's face (or back it seemed). Just like he did to Cell in the actual story.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Lobok posted:

I don't know if I could ever pull it off because I've always been a fighting game scrub but there was one thing that totally sold me on DBZF and it was the fact that just before you unleash your Kamehameha as Goku you can Instant Transmission to get right up in your opponent's face (or back it seemed). Just like he did to Cell in the actual story.

It's one of his supers. The teleport is baked into the move's progress; he teleports behind them right before he fires. ImpAtom hit me with it like three times in a row.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wanderer posted:

It's one of his supers. The teleport is baked into the move's progress; he teleports behind them right before he fires. ImpAtom hit me with it like three times in a row.

Does he also have a non-teleporting version so that visually your opponent can't be sure which one it will be?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Lobok posted:

Does he also have a non-teleporting version so that visually your opponent can't be sure which one it will be?

IIRC, he's got the standard Kamehameha and the dirty mixup version.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

How soon are we going to get interesting DLCs for MVC:I?

ImpAtom posted:

I've never played a Monster Hunter, and I forgot that they still made Phoenix Wrights. Also, I forgot that Dragon's Dogma came out in 2012, since I mostly play games on the PC and it hit Steam in 2016. Also not much of a RE fan.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Goku's warp kamehameha is in literally every game with dedicated moves.

Hell every move has been mined to hell in back because there has been so many fighting type games released over the years.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

I've never played a Monster Hunter, and I forgot that they still made Phoenix Wrights. Also, I forgot that Dragon's Dogma came out in 2012, since I mostly play games on the PC and it hit Steam in 2016. Also not much of a RE fan.

One of the odd things about Capcom as a company is that while its reputation is in the toilet among games enthusiasts and long-time fans of its franchises, it hasn't had an out-and-out bomb on its recent record besides 2013's Remember Me. Many of its games didn't meet their wildly enthusiastic internal sales predictions (which seems to be a widespread problem with Japanese developers in particular; see also how Hitman sold perfectly well but still got branded as a failure by Square Enix, which is why IO Interactive is now an indie studio), but on the other hand, five of Capcom's top ten best-selling games of all time were released in the last five years.

Its output has slowed to a trickle of what it was even seven or eight years ago, due to the prohibitive costs of developing on modern consoles, but all you can really say with any accuracy about its output is that it hasn't put out any games that were interesting to you. Critically and financially, Capcom's actually doing quite well, despite the fact that every decision it makes seems to piss off a brand-new segment of its audience.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Wanderer posted:

One of the odd things about Capcom as a company is that while its reputation is in the toilet among games enthusiasts and long-time fans of its franchises, it hasn't had an out-and-out bomb on its recent record besides 2013's Remember Me. Many of its games didn't meet their wildly enthusiastic internal sales predictions (which seems to be a widespread problem with Japanese developers in particular; see also how Hitman sold perfectly well but still got branded as a failure by Square Enix, which is why IO Interactive is now an indie studio), but on the other hand, five of Capcom's top ten best-selling games of all time were released in the last five years.

Its output has slowed to a trickle of what it was even seven or eight years ago, due to the prohibitive costs of developing on modern consoles, but all you can really say with any accuracy about its output is that it hasn't put out any games that were interesting to you. Critically and financially, Capcom's actually doing quite well, despite the fact that every decision it makes seems to piss off a brand-new segment of its audience.

Just to be clear, I wasn't bitching. I was just wondering. Remember that my perspective is someone who mostly plays PC games.

Also yeah, people act like Capcom is Konami, which... they aren't. I guess they're afraid that's what's going to happen in the end? Is Capcom diversified enough to just say gently caress it to the AAA game scene?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Capcom's diversified as hell in Japan. Just Resident Evil has a live-action film franchise, a computer-animated film franchise, a theme restaurant, at least one theme park ride, a clothing line, and a bunch of branded toys.

It's not really a question of diversification, though, so much as how the Japanese development industry's been changing lately. Nintendo managed to drop a grenade into the scene when they released the Wii-U, because they ended up starting the eighth console generation before anyone was at all ready for it, including third-party developers. At the same time, the Japanese development scene's been in a tailspin for years for a variety of factors, such as the ongoing Japanese demographic crisis, the rising costs of triple-A development, and losing ground to Western studios in foreign markets.

Konami mismanaged a lot of its talent and franchises (it was really weird to find its booth at E3 this year, where the only thing it had on offer was a soccer game), but frankly, if you look at the state of the scene, switching over to mobile development and pachinko machines was probably a solid move. It's easily a tenth of the initial investment in exchange for steady, dependable gains. It's not actually out of the market, of course, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them make a comeback at some point.

Capcom still has a lot of its talent and has become very good at leveraging the new digital marketplace, but to some extent, it's a victim of its own success. Most of its long-running franchises have fanatical followings, and it's impossible to keep everyone in those followings happy at once. Every decision it makes about any franchise is met with massive derision from somewhere, which serves as a big force multiplier when the company actually does poo poo the bed, as it has with Street Fighter V.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'd say that ultimately, Capcom's slow release slate is bogged down by quite a bit of it being not great or downright awful. Like 2016 had Ace Attorney and a Monster Hunter RPG, but also Dead Rising 4 which apparently is mostly just mediocre, SFV which is famously panned and Umbrella Corps, an online multiplayer shooter that is very bad and also super dead by week 1.

On the whole they are not looking good, but they release at least one good game every year.

So when will Marvel Games get Arcsys to do a Marvel Disk Wars video game?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I reinstalled Champions Online cuz I like messing with the character creator, and when I went into the game proper I immediately remembered why I don't actually play that game outside of the creator.

Off-brand Ms. Marvel, with the rear end, thigh and tit sliders maxed out, wrapped in chains, dripping with oil.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Finally a woman worthy of Knife Dad

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Vixena. Classy!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just to put it into perspective, Champions Online works off a character@username system, where only the latter part needs to be unique and isn't displayed above your head.

So every Deathiroth4 in the game chose that, they weren't forced to.

Champions started its life as a Marvel game though so basically every Marvel character is in the forbidden names list (even incredibly obscure ones) but they didn't bother to block anything but the major DC characters. Superman no, Superboy sure.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/marvel-vs-capcom-infinite-devs-on-preserving-depth/1100-6451133/

An interview with some devs on MvC:I, where they discuss such subjects as

"What's up with Chun-Li's faaaaaaace?"

quote:

Are you guys gonna look at that again, given the widespread negative response?

Michael Evans: Yes. Well when put that way, I say, I never wanted to look at it again. It's super--no, okay. It is disgusting. [Said jokingly] Of course we will look at it again. We're gonna look at it. Can't promise anything right now, but we want to make our fans happy, man. We're not an evil overlord company, despite the rumors. We do want to make our fans happy. Can't promise anything. We'll look into it. I believe Ono already said something about that.

[Michael's quote, "I never wanted to look at it again. It's super--no, okay. It is disgusting," was said in jest, which doesn't quite carry through into a written transcript.]

"What about the X-Men?"

quote:

Then the third one is obviously the popularity of these characters. X was one we had to get in there. A lot of fans wanted to see X, so we brought him back. Then also we talked with Marvel very closely about their future roadmap, about what's gonna be happening. Your modern Marvel fan, maybe they don't even remember some of the X-Men characters, but they know some of the Guardians characters or Black Panther.

(Translation: We can't just out and say that Marvel doesn't want us to push mutants so we have to pretend that people don't know who the X-Men are.)

"Hey, how about Skullomania?"

quote:

Peter Rosas: It just baffles me to this day. Why does anybody like that dude?

(loving plebeian)

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Wow. Yeah, I'm sure the modern Marvel fan has absolutely no clue who Wolverine is and is yet clamoring for Captain Marvel. You knew you were gonna get the question, I expect a better lie.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The thing is the X-Men have re-appeared in the MOBA game Future Fight. And it looks like they'll appear in Avengers Academy.

I think that Marvel are slowly starting to allow the X-Men back into some of their multi platform media. On that basis you could probably come up with a better line for why they aren't in Marvel vs Capcom. (That the time isn't right for them, or at the start of the development cycle they weren't a priority. But now might be.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They'll probably release a few as DLC.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'll buy the game once there's Wolverine DLC (Laura, not Logan).

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
The X-Men DLC pack will consist solely of All-New Wolverine and Old Man Logan

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

The thing is the X-Men have re-appeared in the MOBA game Future Fight. And it looks like they'll appear in Avengers Academy.

I think that Marvel are slowly starting to allow the X-Men back into some of their multi platform media. On that basis you could probably come up with a better line for why they aren't in Marvel vs Capcom. (That the time isn't right for them, or at the start of the development cycle they weren't a priority. But now might be.)

You could even just say "Marvel wants to focus more on heroes appearing in the Marvel Cinematic Universe"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

The X-Men DLC pack will consist solely of All-New Wolverine and Old Man Logan

Would you want their movesets to just be the same as they were in MVC3 (when they were X-23 and Wolverine) or would you want them both to have new, unique ones.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

You could even just say "Marvel wants to focus more on heroes appearing in the Marvel Cinematic Universe"

They can't blame the license holder, they need to blame the customer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhonne posted:

Would you want their movesets to just be the same as they were in MVC3 (when they were X-23 and Wolverine) or would you want them both to have new, unique ones.

It should be Wolverine (Laura), Weapon X (Logan with the weird head gear) and Old Man Logan (Old Man Logan), similar movesets, but enough difference that it matters which one you pick. There should be a bigger difference than Ken and Ryu have in any game they're both in.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This game just keeps on giving.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Marvel Heroes are removing their Fantastic Four characters from the game (Doom gets to stay though). Marvel might be easing up on the X-characters but the FF is still deep in the dumpster.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Did they give some nonsense official reason/statement? Are players being compensated?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

Did they give some nonsense official reason/statement? Are players being compensated?

They renewed their license and now no longer have the rights to use them.

And they're not taking it away from anyone who has it, so no.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
They will still be in the game if you own them, you just won't be able to buy them or any of their costumes.

quote:

FANTASTIC FOUR AND SILVER SURFER HEROES NOTICE

Under Gazillion’s renewed licensing agreement we do not have the rights to continue selling these characters moving forward. However, players who have already purchased or unlocked any of these affected characters and costumes before June 30th will be able to them continue playing them as usual.

Starting on July 1st, 2017, the following Heroes will no longer be available to purchase with Gs:

Mr. Fantastic
Invisible Woman
Thing
Human Torch
Silver Surfer
See spoiler for P.S.

As of this update these Heroes will not be available for purchase with Eternity Splinters.This change will also affect all costumes for those characters as well as Future Foundation costumes for other characters. See below for the full list. Please note that this upcoming change will not affect Doctor Doom, who will remain as a playable Villain and maintain his role in the game’s story campaign.
Here are some more details:

As mentioned, if you already own any of the affected Heroes or costumes, you won’t be losing them.
Achievements and Login Rewards that currently award a H.E.R.B.I.E. will offer new rewards.
Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer-related achievements will remain, but will not be attainable without these Heroes.
The following costumes will be affected:

These changes will bring Marvel Heroes 2016 more in line with Marvel Heroes Omega as well as other excellent Marvel licensed games and the Marvel Universe at large. Even though the Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer will be unavailable to purchase starting on June 30, Gazillion will continue to support these Heroes with the upcoming Omega items, ongoing tuning, bug fixing, and the same attention we give to all characters in our ever-growing roster of playable Heroes and Villains.

Items and achievements related to the Fantastic Four have been adjusted to account for these changes:

They removed the post later which I guess means Marvel got pissy over getting the blame or something? I don't know, gaz is pretty incompetent at the best of times :gaz:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I would say it could be a Fox thing but if that was the case you'd think Marvel would immediately point fingers, unless they're playing some kind of "I won't let you know how much I want my IP back" multidimensional chess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Just wanna say I started playing Arkham Knight a few weeks ago and it's probably my second favorite in the Arkham series after Arkham Asylum. Can't wait to get the Asylum/City remaster.