Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bloody posted:

I was giving examples of standard interview tropes not seeking specific interview feedback hth

*harmonica*

SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

THEEEEEEEEM

OOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

C.H.O.M.E posted:

at the school i went to computer science is in the college of natural science along with math, physics, chemistry, biology and other sciences. there is a separate computer engineering dept in the engineering school.

my degree's department was in the college of engineering, forestry, and natural science, op

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Bloody posted:

c interview s: got an onsite later today, looking forward to language trivia time and toy problem whiteboard time

flip the script, op, quiz them on the trivia about their own industry

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Uncle Enzo posted:

i was offered my position on the basis of my resume and a single 45 minute multi party audio-only telephone interview. it occurred to me as i showed up at the front desk my first day that no one had even seen a picture of me. i relocated my family 800 miles to a town i'd never heard of.

was nervous the first day, but they had everything ready for me. spent 2 hours filling out new-hire paperwork, then they showed me to my cube that a few of my co-workers had stocked with office supplies. the logins they gave me worked and i was able to get started training immediately. they handed me a 3-ring full of specifications and told me where to start.

yeah this was mine too but with the caveat that my resume was conveyed to the department on an internal recommendation so there's some good old networking involved

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

lmao if you don't have exercise for lunch and tell everyone this fact at every opportunity

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

please post the correct weight lifting routine

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

*extremely yospos voice* is labor a push day or pull day exercise

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

lmao i've been lifting amateurly for 2 years and i barely feel different and people are complaining about too much gains

:rip: me

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

you're lifting it wrong

ya think

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

lift more, eat twice as much as you think you need if you're a skinny nerd who "can't gain weight"

always be increasing something every workout. if you can't go heavier add sets and reps. get a spotter so that your dumb animal brain doesn't chicken out on giving 100% effort. if you don't feel safe you absolutely won't be able to push your limits. my bench stalled for years until i suppressed my anxiety of men enough to tolerate a spotter and then it rapidly gained like 200 pounds in a year. before that i was the stereotypical goon lifter deadlifting 500 and benching 135 lol.

learn from the knowledge i amassed doing an activity i came to regret due to injuries and intensified dysphoria :suicide:

im actually the lardlord type of nerd and need to eat a deficit just to not feel like im blowing up like a greasy ugly balloon

Elysiume posted:

I wish I hadn't picked an apartment building that has a gym in it because it's making me sufficiently complacent to not track down an actual gym. the one in my apartment building isn't terrible, but I'm really starting to feel the things it's missing

ugh so this is an issue too? it's still going to be a long time before i outgrow mine and am good enough for a real gym

onward...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

well in that case stop worrying about gains so much. losing weight is your gains. as long as youre not getting actively weaker that is good enough while trying to lose weight. trying to do both at once is just going to end in frustration unless you are on good gear or you are tremendously disciplined with building your diet around getting precise nutrition within your allotted calories. if youre just trying to be healthier focus on getting to a healthy weight and maintaining it a while before worrying about getting super strong.

good luck!

and this is where it gets iffy because i just don't know when i need to make the transition. people say im skinny but all i see when i look in the mirror is miles and miles of fat

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Bloody posted:

good news fam I got a job offer in seattle doing :jeb: stuff and I'm prob gonna take it

*golf clap*

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Elder Postsman posted:

i'm interviewing someone tomorrow who has been doing a java apprenticeship. hmm.

ask what all three meanings of "final" are

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Maximo Roboto posted:

Why do people always recommend CLRS for technical interview prep. Even for learning algorithms when in college it's like a thousand pages long and is mostly composed of mathematical proofs. Is the Algorithm Design Manual any good for brushing up for whiteboarding?

because it sounds impressive. i mean, it does cover a lot of ground but i think it's just too much to use to study for an interview. unfortunately i don't have specific recommendations but i feel like i learned most of the algorithm stuff applicable to interviews in my earlier data structures or discrete math classes. dynamic programming is probably the only thing that was new to me that could be used, stuff like algorithmic complexity they'll probably expect you to know some common stuff but not to run akra-bazzi on the whiteboard. but all this depends on the technical level of the interview.

idk about the other thing you mentioned though

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

poor minneapolis, used to be big on the hardware front but no more

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

hobbesmaster posted:

a lot of medical hardware still; that's all that was there other than 3m right?

cray and control data are the big ones, but there were also a bunch of computer manfuacturers like northgate

then you have ibm an hour away in roch, i'm sure there were others

also can't forget mecc, my 90s elementary education was basically built on their stuff lmao

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

with two Ds, as he says, for a double dose of his PMPin

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Maximo Roboto posted:

i probably need more skills/experience to get the positions I'm applying for. Too bad my work isn't motivating me to improve, nor do I think what I'm doing is teaching me the skills I need to have to pass those interviews. guess it's time to work on ~*side projects*~

does anyone work on side projects, how did you pick something that you care about

what if i just did a bunch of tutorials and read books instead. can i put tutorial programs on GitHub

i highly recommend contributing to a larger project as part of it. i think diving into an existing codebase and learning how it works in order to resolve issues or add functionality is a skill all its own, one i didn't even realize i didn't have until i got my first job. now i make awful.app worse for fun.

plus no one really cares if you take two weeks to get to the point of "fixed typo" because there was no real due date anyway

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

lancemantis posted:

tutorials and books aren't bad but they might not build your confidence in the best way, and its sometimes easy to get dunning-kruger-ed by going though exercises where lots of things are laid out for you

sometimes the easiest way to end up with a side project is to just start thinking of ideas passively, write them down, start working on what looks good, ditch it if its boring, etc

lots of peoples successful side projects come out of recognizing something interesting at work or in life that they want to pursue and the only real way to come across that moment is to explore

its yet another multi armed bandit lol

this too, starting your own stuff makes you confront architectural decisions that you don't really deal with in tutorials

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

make awful.app worse like i do

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Maximo Roboto posted:

Is awful.app open source? I hadn't seen many open source iOS apps hah

https://github.com/Awful/Awful.app

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

PokeJoe posted:

it seems bad to live in a desert

it's insanely good from october to may

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah, im only looking at jobs that would require relocation, although this job is in az which is worse than nc, imho

it would be a gigantic step up career wise though

where at in az

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

hmm, where in the city? it could make the difference between being a good or bad experience

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

it's also a long heat

JUST LIKE MY

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

well the company is in tempe, which i assume is balls

nah, tempe is pretty good, much better density of "stuff to do" than the surrounding burbs. plus you're not far from downtown phx or old town scottsdale

it's where i'd move to if i moved back

the big downside is also driving its upside: asu

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

mishaq posted:

sounds exactly like dallas/houston

explosive growth isn't all that great when everybody wants to own a home

e: also people who say it's boring, what do you like to do? cause it has p much all the same things to do as other large metros, just more spread out. i lived in the burbs for 20+ years so im used to having to dig, i guess

carry on then fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 18, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

sorry that trying to help people erodes your "hate on everything you don't know" i guess

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

mishaq posted:

im sorry you're unable to grasp how soulless and terrible suburban sprawl is

god forbid i try to use my knowledge to help someone avoid the worst of it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The Management posted:

first in person interview in years today. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be the oldest person in that office when I walk into it. good times.
          /

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

more like lockheed fartin'

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Blinkz0rz posted:

is facebook bad to work for? a recruiter reached out and while i'll probably decline because it's a relocation and i don't want to move, i feel like it's worth keeping my name in their system if they don't suck

doctor 666 or w/e in cobol literally can't stop extolling their virtues

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Maximo Roboto posted:

Anyone know how Apple compares to the other big guys?

It's pretty bad but probably marginally better than Amazon, on average

you have to run marathons, a business insider article told me so

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i've got a cube with a door but we're moving to open plan in april

:rip:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i'll be craig if he doesn't stick around

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

cis autodrag posted:

fyi, yoga pants are actually significantly warmer than jeans in the winter. women's denim is super thing compared to men's stuff but most yoga pants (lulu aside) are decently thick. it's all anyone wears in the winter around here. if u gents arent ashamed of ur junk u should try them on because they are comfortable as gently caress too.

if you wear them underneath jeans you basically reinvent long underwear, also

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

we have about 10 bands but every developer starts at band 6

i work with devs who have been here 20 years and who are band 8, because moving up to band 9 means being a senior technical leader and they don't want to do that

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

our "bonus" is called something like growth related profit sharing and mine was $500. lmao.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Chill Callahan posted:

agile is just a way to micromanage teams of low performers. cheers

lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

FrozenVent posted:

got an interview coming up for a project management role, anybody have any good intro book suggestion so i can at least understand the lingo?

i'm more of an SME type myself but hey

become a certified Project Management Professional (PMP) ®, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

you see, a PMP®'s love is very different from that of a square...

• Locked thread