Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

thirsty dudes only have one writing style I guess. let's see

quote:

I loved reading your Tinder profile. Positive energy a flowing. And it seemed like you were talking directly to me about let’s do something new and cool. I had to dig deeper.
yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

job hunt status: yesterday I missed a call from a guy who was going to phone screen me, instead of rescheduling or telling me to gently caress off they're bringing me in for an in-person interview

is this what failing upwards feels like?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

let me guess: 3rd party recruiter was going to do a screen, but the client saw you in the resume stack and wanted to bring you in making it moot?

nah this was supposed to be the first call with the hiring manager, but he's seen my portfolio and knows the team I used to work on also it's a contract gig so if they hate me they can get rid of me without too much hassle

slightly lame if I end up staying in finance but w/e the figgies are legit

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

inflation-adjusted wages are still much lower than the first dotcom bubble

the first dotcom bubble only lasted like 2 years, the whole game was starting to melt down well before 9/11

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

holy poo poo I just got 4 calls in the last half hour for the same job [the job is for walmart]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

Walmart corporate is supposedly very good to work. they're basically a big data and logistics tech company. at least that's the rumor.

I know a crapload of people who used to work there, their average tenure in ux seems to be under 2 years

The Management posted:

also lol Facebook got back to me two months after I submitted an application

me too [it was to reject me]

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 22, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

have you ever gotten so exasperated with an employer that you told them "good luck in your search"? I think that would be fun to do, once.

I did once by email after a super unpleasant interview

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Do this:

The Management posted:

I've been doing half day interviews in the morning and then showing up to work like nothing happened after lunch. so far so good.
and just say "I have to run a few errands in the morning"

my worst in-person interview performance was probably when I tried to do one after a full day at the office, I was so burned out I couldn't muster much enthusiasm for the place I was talking to

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mishaq posted:

lol if a full day at the office drains you

not normally but it happens and you don't have complete control over how your day is going to go so just interview in the morning

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

third round interview today, 4 hour in person at a different company tomorrow

jobs are super different from each other so if both like me I'm honestly not sure which direction to go I guess chances are I won't get two offers so it won't be a decision anyway

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

got an offer :unsmith:

still going to the other interview tomorrow

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

please come early for the phrenology screening [short hairstlyes preferred]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ADINSX posted:

I feel like these interviews are really testing how hard you want to work somewhere. However, considering Amazon has 11k job openings in Seattle alone, the answer for most people seems to be "not very"

I wonder if there's ever moments where they're like "maybe the problem is... us? nah that can't be it we're awesome"

like I pretty much know I have been somehow deemed "non-googley" but I still get dozens of recruiter hits for google jobs that have been open for more than a year

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

welp, got the second offer from the place I didn't like as much and it's low, even accounting for it being full time instead of contract so I think I might have a new job

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

so yeah I have a new jorb, starting in 2 weeks

I remember a while back there was this guy my boss wanted to hire and the dude decided that a parking space was his #1 dealbreaker gotta have it thing but the company had a policy to not pay for parking so it took like 3 extra weeks to get the guy on board, that should have been an obvious red flag though because he ended up being a useless shitlord who got fired 6 months later and not even "scott went on to pursue other opportunities" it was like yeah we fired him

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't get how anyone who's been reading the forum for more than a month can get shaggared re: bicycles

The Management posted:

nice. I hope you're actively not caring as hard as you can at your current job
I quit my current job last year and took a few months off so I'm actually looking forward to working again

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

drat, shaggar was so right. after I said no to 8am I got this.

:siren: WARNING. DANGER. :siren:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have to get fingerprinted for the job I'm about to start which is a first for me

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DuckConference posted:

was submitting an application directly to Amazon's careers site silly, and should I be using a recruiter instead?

Also how do you find a non-garbage recruiter

I submitted approximately 50 direct applications to companies and heard back from exactly one

as far as finding a decent recruiter good luck, you just have to talk to a bunch of them until you find a few who aren't idiots

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 6, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

semon demon posted:

hello fellow nerds didnt read the thread but after 3 lackluster interviews i just got a job at a place that uses things like source control and technology newer than classic asp and i couldnt be drunker or happier praise stallman

goongratulations

my start date got pushed out a week because they don't have a computer for me yet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

marketing is bullshit but it has measurable goals at least, that job sounds hellish because the only thing they'll judge how good of a job you're doing is by how much you work

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

http://www.shingy.com/

how many figgies do you think he's pullin down

fewer than he'd like you to believe

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

do you want to work 80% more hours for 40% less money? well good news, the game industry is hiring!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

most finance jobs the base salary isn't great but you can get a good bonus, I got ~30% every year at my last place but it's completely variable and if someone else's division has a bad year that might impact the overall bonus pool and since the executives always get massive bonuses rank and file people can get kind of shafted

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DuckConference posted:

wow apple really likes masters degrees in their job postings
yeah it's weird like oh yeah my 20 years of experience is good but if I'd done way less work and had an HCI masters somehow I'd be a better designer? [bonus: most hci programs don't even require design classes to complete]

it's only certain groups I think though since I've had 2 interviews there with my scrub tier psych ba

NewForumSoftware posted:

iq isn't even a real thing, im pretty sure this is just elaborate scammery
it's a real thing in that it tests how good you are at iq test tasks and it's pretty consistent across time

it's not an actual measure of general intelligence, though

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a good 401k setup should be right behind decent health insurance in the "how to retain actual goddamn adults at your company" playbook

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

perks children care about:
- ping pong table
- free food
- happy hours
- branded hoodies

things adults like:
- retirement benefits
- flex time/remote work
- low copays
- babby leave

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

leper khan posted:

free food every day is something like $2000 over a year. way better than ping pong tables or hoodies.

sure but I'd much rather have 2 grand more in salary or 401k match

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

if I was king poo poo of the corporation I'd order hr to fire anyone stupid enough to contribute less than the maximum match because I don't want idiots working for me
if you were king poo poo of the corporation you could just give all your employees x% whether or not they put anything in themselves :unsmith:

my last employer used to just dump 1-2% in as "profit sharing" every spring it was really nice

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had a recruiter tell me her company policy was that they had to see you over video chat before placing you and she didn't understand why I was confused, I mean there's no legitimate reason to do that [and a bunch of illegal ones]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one think I like about contract jobs is there's way less lag, I went from the initial contracting agency contact to an offer in 3 weeks at my current gig

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Minnesota Mixup posted:

get it in writing.
you mean, like a... contract? :haw:

nowhere is going to guarantee you a permanent position but get your figgies while you're contract and it might work out. I've been converted to full time twice in my career and the job before this one it was the only way they hired people

JawnV6 posted:

if you DO have another offer at any point in the process, let the recruiter know and watch them bend heaven & VP schedules for you
yeah this was my experience as well

then they made a stupid lowball offer and I rejected them

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"wow this guy is perfect for this position, we'd better get an offer out for 10k less than he said his minimum was immediately"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bloody posted:

this applies to all ceos, especially f500 ceos

pitch: undercover boss except we've secretly stolen their identity and all their money and they have to successfully complete 12 months in their disguise

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

da beeper king BABY posted:

it's a financial software consultancy, so close enough

I hope you like conference calls

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

speaking of conference calls the new place uses webex which is really nice because you can finally see who is making uncomfortably loud breathing noises into their headset and forcibly mute them

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Iverron posted:

"We need an expert in X that can come in day one billing at expert hours" roughly translated is: :siren: DEATH MARCH :siren: right?
if you treat it like a consulting gig and "bill at expert hours" means you're getting paid multiple dollars a minute it could be worth it

it's pretty clear they're super screwed in one or more ways but you could be the one who solves the problem

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think a lot of "successful" people refuse to change out of fear that they'll gently caress up whatever it is they did to make it in the first place

basically c-level impostor syndrome

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sweeper posted:

the company i just joined a couple months ago was super slow about stuff also, took them a couple weeks to get the offer to me, couple weeks for confirmation the offer was approved by higher level people, etc. turned out fine, ive never worked in finance before (didn't know what a broker/dealer was before i joined up) so maybe finance is just slow. either way, the slowness hasn't seemed to be an indicator of anything

if it's a big finance company it will probably take several weeks to get all your background checks done, you might have to get fingerprinted too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

wasn't there an old twilight zone or amazing stories where a kid wishes for all the money in the world and gets it and the world falls apart

• Locked thread