Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

actually, interviewing and job hunting owns because it's the best way to get a 40% salary bump

There is like a trio of banks in my city with a lot of tech jobs, its very common for people to just ping pong between them. It's always the fastest way to promotion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
ive stagnated already but i love my team and the pay is good, and ill probably get a raise this month

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

ask what all three meanings of "final" are

ive heard this one a lot

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

Grats bloody!!!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Lol bloody jesus

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

big companies also have big referral bonuses so everybody is on the prowl for candidates 100% of the time

yeah this

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The total compensation (salary bump/bonus) was dreadful for me this year, I think I am going to stick out the rest of this year for an easy promotion and then start looking elsewhere

I really like my boss, and my team, and the work I am doing now is actually ok. Just got burnt by the "graduate scheme"

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 29, 2017

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've been working for 17 months now and pretty much have enough to pay off the last year of my mum's mortgage for her and have enough left for a 10℅ deposit on any place that I could afford a mortgage on. My plan is to move out in a few months, but I know I'll get promoted this time year so don't know it's worth doing another year of saving and then skidaddle when my salary is higher

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I mean that's pretty common here, for a first time buyer

Different story if you are selling somewhere first and moving

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Elysiume posted:

I've heard they're next to each other on a particular android keyboard but 1) can't confirm, 2) idk if it's the case here

i did type that from my android phone with the special goog keyboard lol

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i love python

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 3, 2017

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
oh yeah so I started working on a new fresh project and was going to spend 50% of my time on that but still work on my current project

but it hasnt worked out that way, and now when I get this next release for current project out of the way then it will be full time on the new project

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
lol

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
we dont have offices but we dont have cubicles either

its cool being able to turn around, wheel over to my boss and start shooting the poo poo

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i found a nice cottage flat, with main door access, for really cheap

the area isnt great but its right next to the expressway, with about 6 different busses going along it into town. less than 10 minute by bus/car to city centre (the office too)

cheap enough that i could buy it now and pay the mortgage off in 5 years before i turn 30

only downside is there is someone living above

e; the idea being just get it paid off and then move it. either then sell this place and use as deposit for another place, or just keep the place and rent it out

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 4, 2017

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
other option is stay at home another year or two and save up and then buy a proper place

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

coffeetable posted:

your coworkers hate you

eh, we all talk. its nice actually looking forward to going into the office

whole office is open plan, guy talking next to you isnt bed when theres a guy across the floor thats loud as gently caress and annoying everyone

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
hello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Boiled Water posted:

my new job has me be data science lead in big data development in a traditional machine learning shop

no pressure

i got an email this week about a data science job up in Edinburgh

• Locked thread