Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gazpacho posted:

lol if you as a hired employee give a poo poo about your company's "mission" or "values"

even as a bottom-tier computer toucher "ship software that's good enough to make customer ops teams not hate us and really like how smart our support teams are" is a much better mission than "get customer money to make their websites and banner ads so the CEO can do coke in their Range Rover during a two hour lunch," hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

triple sulk posted:

code.org is dumb bullshit for driving down wages and making the quality of an average programmer even worse than it already is and if you think it's some noble thing then lmao

lmao that sulk is complaining about this

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Agile Vector posted:

*makes financial software gesture*

flipping off the screen? or the universal gesture for "make it rain?"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

a non-binary ELF

for storing programs for ternary computers?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

you can just say "business analyst," a data scientist is just an analyst that doesn't use excel for windows

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PokeJoe posted:

it seems bad to live in a desert

it is bad but my brother likes it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

but it's a dry heat

gently caress that poo poo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a resume has at least three audiences
  • applicant management systems

yep your poo poo is going in a database, and people are gonna search it, and it's gonna get scored for relevance / filtered out.
    you need buzzwords and stuff to survive the robots

• hr drones

i guess hr drones want your resume to resemble the job req. they don't know what anything on the resume means, nor anything on the req, but they can do dumb pattern matching. i don't know much about how hr drones think.

(is it an abuse of the word "think" to imply that human resources execs are able to do it?)

• interviewers who have no idea what to talk about

lots of interviewers don't prepare very well. i know i don't. having interesting poo poo you did on your resume is important, so that you can get THEM to ask YOU about things that build the narrative you want to communicate.

and the narrative is key to any sales process. people fuckin love stories. it turns off logic in ur brain. stories are important.

our customer wants resumes presumably so they know that they're paying for someone with the right tier of skills, so they get the resume made in ms word instead of LaTeX (that i haven't updated since the last time i needed a resume to get a job)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i've been productive on this project for four months now but only learned about a very significant part of the arch for it last week

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MeruFM posted:

we have a person with the role "distinguished architect"
he has no reports, but reports directly to the VP who reports to CTO

as far as I can tell, he basically plays with new langauges and technologies all day, create demos on the internal enterprise github, and yell at teams for how dumb they are to use some poo poo tier java infrastructure.

as a reclusive goon who can only yell at people instead of "managing" them, how do i get this position

catch a C-level with a dead girl or a live boy

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cold on a Cob posted:

someone who posts in yospos had a coworker suck off a shotgun in their car in the office parking lot, i can't remember who tho

gently caress

I had a semi-coworker gently caress up their rc car in the parking lot last year

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Iverron posted:

it's probably higher than that, 150-180 is flyover state rates from what I've seen

we bill like that for remote work

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

also dump trucks full o' cash don't make up for friends and family being hours/states/timezones away, you're dooming you and your wife to rebuilding social lives in Trump's america

unless the dump trucks of cash are euros or neo-deutschmarks 'cause the job's in berlin

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

at a google interview I pulled out my iPhone to show a picture of a project. i made a joke about it and the interviewer shrugged and held his iPhone up.

i don't think that would work at Apple with android phones!
well yeah google knows that no android is as good as an iphone and apple knows that the best phone is an iphone

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bloody posted:

static classes are super useful in specific contexts tho

i had to take one when i got a job in a factory

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Leck posted:

trying to schedule all day interviews while working is a pain in the rear end. i'm sure a random middle of the week day off won't look suspicious or anything.

call in sick with something "intensely biological"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

lancemantis posted:

LinkedIn is a social network for thinkfluencers to evangelize their Hot Takes and people to build even more superfluous professional networks than they ever would in real life now, what's this job ads thing

LinkedIn is Facebook for people with phone holsters

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

a resignation letter shouldn't be more than "I resign (job) as of (date)", who cares if it gets forwarded around

yeah this was the two weeks i emailed to my boss and his boss at my last job

quote:

To whom it may concern,

Effective DATE, I am terminating my employment at FIRM. I am thankful for
the knowledge, experiences, and opportunities we've shared in the last TERM OF EMPLOYMENT, and
wish you the best fortune in the future.

I would like to be able to continue working on PROJECT and cross-training other
members of TEAM in the meantime, although I completely understand if
that is not possible.

Best regards,
NAME

(there'd been a few people that put in two weeks' notice and were disappeared same day, hence the "not possible" bit)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

minivanmegafun posted:

it's very much this. we also have a great rep and a great office and good compensation but we have a hell of a time finding senior SREs. at least once hired they stay put.

we've more or less thrown our hands up and decided we can train juniors up, but finding good junior devops people is hard too!

in so many places devops/sre is a role you grow into at a company and not something you train for, and if you never make the "extinguishing prod fires of my own creation is devops" connection then you never think to look for an sre role

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Balobam posted:

you guys might know

whats a decent salary in nyc for an actuary?

if you can't predict it mathematically, you probably shouldn't be an actuary

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

carry on then posted:

(eat-poo poo computer-nerds)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm getting supergood at sql because that's what I do at my job all day basically. At least databases won't be one of those topics that I have to pretend to have a clue about anymore.

sql owns, it's the one language you'll never regret knowing

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ADINSX posted:

Not only does it own, but it naturally translates into a lot of the operations done in big data stacks (and obviously a lot have SQL bindings or straight up use SQL as their interface ala BigQuery). So if you know SQL but are tired of doing OLTP or whatever you can make the switch to a big data job fairly easily.

yeah I finagled my way on to the riak time series project and ended up doing a lot of the sql parser work, and that's why I have a 1400 page PDF of sql syntax specs still lying around

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ADINSX posted:

Noice. That sounds awesome, you work for Basho then? Looks like their office is in Bellevue... something to remember when I start looking for jobs again

past-tense lol, left over a year ago, and they basically shut down completely a few weeks back

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Symbolic Butt posted:

I see, but still... what bothers me is like... shouldn't the database know the optimal order (produce the 20 rows and then array_agg) to do it?

and why do I need to add score to the "group by" statement, shouldn't it know via the schema that there's only one score associated to each id? maybe I shoud denormalize score, gently caress

I tried for a while to write a lot of custom functions because ~encapsulation~ but eventually I learned that it messes up with the query planner so it's not worth it

have you been running explain?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cis autodrag posted:

apple wants me to come out for an onsite! now we find out new ways for me to embarrass myself in technical interviews. also i need to find dates i can conceivably attribute to family events.

you can always call in sick with something "intensely biological" and nobody will ask for details

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

i've taken 4-5 weeks every year for past 5 years of unlimited vacation jobs, oh well guess im lucky or smart or just filter out lovely employers when interviewing or something

yeah in 2015 i took like a week in may, week in july, three weeks in august, week in november, two weeks in december

it ruled and i miss not having to have a vacation budgeting spreadsheet

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

TerminalRaptor posted:

One of the more interesting things I've learned in the past few years is the larger international flight planes actually have sleeping bunks for the flight attendants. I didn't think there was enough room on a plane for such a thing.

they're jammed in above the fore galley/lavs usually, where there's space that's being used for overhead bins in the rest of the fuselage

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rt4 posted:

i work remote and nobody ever uses the webcam, we just use our microphones during meetings
is this typical?

we use cameras for our weekly meeting and I usually bring a cat or two in on them

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

my goth gf posted:

yep

last job, we had a guy applying for a DBA/middleware position who aced our interview (after one of the c-level idiots nixed webcam screening) and got hired

since it was a smaller company, he walked in the door, got onboarded, and was immediately asked a question about an issue we were having with oracle RAC

the ceo walked him out the door :v:

some guy on an airplane was hyping oracle rac to me and lol what trash

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

my goth gf posted:

i like to imagine that some guy just randomly came up to you during a flight and started talking about RAC for no discernible reason

i clocked in and started coding and he was like a toshiba sales guy for south and Latin America and I was super hype about riak and the cap theorem at the time

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

jre posted:

Massive lol at this

not really

adding people slows the project down, ideally temporarily (over the course of weeks) but brooks wasn't wrong and people don't still read his poo poo for fun

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PierreTheMime posted:

aaarg nyc fulltime job wants me to move to the city instead of offering remote, which is just unworkable for the salary they're offering. nice place with a good name but drat if I want to live in the city with a family for 10^5 figgies

welp there goes another one. sad too since i know their stuff really well

poo poo I'd live just about anywhere for 100000 figgies

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Doom Mathematic posted:

I'd work at Google for 101 figgies.

I'd work for ISIS for 101 figgies

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PCjr sidecar posted:

making GBS threads on airplanes is great you get to take your pants off at 35000 ft, its like science fiction

also you make the flight a little bit worse for everybody else, its like dystopian science fiction

sometimes you make the flight a lot worse by making GBS threads

quote:

According to French and German prosecutors, the crash was deliberately caused by the co-pilot, Andreas Lubitz. Brice Robin said Lubitz was initially courteous to Captain Sondenheimer during the first part of the flight, then became "curt" when the captain began the mid-flight briefing on the planned landing. Robin said when the captain returned from a probable toilet break and tried to enter the cockpit, Lubitz had locked the door.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanwings_Flight_9525#Cause_of_crash

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DuckConference posted:

companies also hire people if they're growing tho

sometimes growth is organic and you can just hire by networking

sometimes you got a truckload of vc cash and just need to desperately hire because the vc said you should

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah my rule of thumb is to exercise options asap

lol

i had basho options at like $17, then they got repriced to 28¢, and then they went under

glad i didn't exercise them ever

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bloody posted:

nah from what ive heard oracle realized they're a soul-sucking hellscape so when they built up their cloud team they just went a-poaching from amazon and microsoft and whomever by offering triple

yeah a former boss of mine is at orcl and he's become the type of guy who upgrades from a beater pickup to a boxster to a gt3

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

So say I am in a LMO situation and all of my server side programming is effectively worthless on a resume. The only "real" programming language i know is javascript, which is sad as hell. Should I just pick python or something?

get good at sql

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
knowing sql and how to reason about relational data will help you even in a nosql hell

• Locked thread