Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

it's a goon referral. the poo poo i didn't know was hadoop, map-reduce, and python. i checked all the other boxes. i know what hadoop/map-reduce are so i assume i could probably pick it up. the challenge is really in how you apply them anyway.

python is easy to pick up anyway as long as you're not expecting to memorize the standard library but then why would you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Cold on a Cob posted:

when did "reaching out to old coworkers when you need a new job" become self-pimping?

all labor under capitalism is prostitution comrade

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

JawnV6 posted:

what to heck is a "top 10 executive"? from my linked spam:

SELECT TOP 10 * FROM Employees ORDER BY Compensation DESC

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Syntax error try again:

SELECT * FROM employees ORDER BY compensation DESC LIMIT 10

lol

rt4 posted:

it was a microsoft exec tho

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Oneiros posted:

My advice that every single Business / Financial Analyst we hire should be competent with SQL has gone unheeded.

They sure do pay me a lot to tell computers other people how to do their jobs. And build pretty dashboards for them. And then sit down and explain every aspect of the (annotated) dashboards to them. And then do their jobs.

:eng99:

at least they aren't doing your job but with spreadsheets because that way lies madness and madness is good for sales :shepicide:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I think it's been a couple years since I've had spam from my college-era resume on monster but it's always obvious because it has no relation to anything I'm interested in just college degree == qualified

sad thing is that'd be an ~8 year old resume at the time

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

ratbert90 posted:

Hello! I see you have the great experience with low-level Linux kernel C programming, here is a job that requires 10 years of Microsoft visual C++ experience, is located in the deep south, is a 6-month contract, and no possibility of working remote remote. please kindly get back to me for when we can set up an interview.

this is the sort of recruiter spam that made me aware of King of Prussia, PA

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

The Management posted:

lmao that's not golden handcuffs.

even for a router wrangler?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Larry was the only tech billionaire without one :cry:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I think I could net out a ~$13k payday just by timing my exit just right and abusing the gently caress out of PTO accrual

no vacation for a year tho :\

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

mishaq posted:

ive never recorded pto in adp/whatever at any of the last 3 companies ive worked for because my bosses never gave a poo poo

I'm doing consulting rn

Billable Hours Matter

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yoga pants tho

they don't go away completely in our winters IDK why they'd go away when it dips below 65 or whatever people think is cold there

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I'm joining you guys on the market I guess

really not looking forward to this

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I resigned on Friday the 10th and got a formal offer for a bit more than I was making a week later. still interviewing though, obvs, but I'll probably end up there

this must be a symptom of full employment in this industry, right? going from one six figure job to another in a week (or less depending on how you count) is an outlier, right?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

second interview I lined up didn't generate an offer

the world is back to normal

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

LinYutang posted:

my company can't find a talented JS dev to lead frontend work on some teams so there's a bunch of backend devs doing UI work and it's just sadface for everyone involved

pm me :grin:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

lancemantis posted:

Thanks for reminding me that the technical interview has spawned a whole branch of industry that will further serve to entrench it; more SAT prep yay!

this thread is a great reminder that the skills used to filter candidates are often the ones people need refreshed because they don't (or very rarely) use them on the job

I find it helps to laugh when faced with the kind of situation that might have been in a first draft of Brazil but got cut for being too obviously stupid

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

eh we've had roombas for a while now

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

newjob issued me a brand new laptop with a Xeon badge maxed out RAM and NVME storage and this is so different than the leftover poo poo I was issued as a staff augmentation contractor I'm still kinda freaked out by it

commute kinda sucks but at least I'm against traffic so :shrug: someday I'll find a job downtown I guess

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

hey I didn't pay for it

I think it's just an overclocked i7 with the IGPU disabled? whatever - it's nicer than my desktop

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

jre posted:

No you just have to carry it and listen to the fan noise

it's un ultrabook so it weighs like four pounds

the fans maxing out on boot are pretty loud though yeah

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Just had a pretty good technical phone screen, but I need some kind of one-liner about moving onto next steps.

"Alright, what's next?"

lol, I didn't say that but what one-liners do you guys use to wrap things up after a decent technical screen?

when does the bathing suit portion of the contest begin?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I think architect kind of works because they're the people who come up with elaborate diagrams of systems that probably won't work as delivered but it's not their problem anymore in both fields

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

cis autodrag posted:

my company just sent me on a month-long vacation they paid travel expenses for and all it did was give me enough time to come out of the fog of misery and realize it was my job that was doing that to me, lol. i spent my week slinging resumes around chicago and im going to do more this weekend.

Chicago is gr8 and all but I wouldn't leave MSP for it without a big raise

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

carry on then posted:

how is the programming up there? i'm about 1.5 hours southeast at basically the only tech company in this town and eventually i'd like to move up to the cities

in addition to what hobbesmaster said I've found it's a good market for just about any size company you want to work for which I mention because so far I think I prefer smaller shops

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I had good luck with snack overflow this last round

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

raminasi posted:

I'm at a hedge fund where we're like 9:30-5:45. 9:30 matters (standup) but as long as you're not rolling out at 4:30 every day nobody really cares about the backend. also as much wfh as you want basically as long as you're getting your work done

the other hedge fund I interviewed at was 8:30-6:30 and gently caress that

so your core hours are 9:30 to 4:30? yeah that's great compared to a ten hour day but eh

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

ADINSX posted:

Not only does it own, but it naturally translates into a lot of the operations done in big data stacks (and obviously a lot have SQL bindings or straight up use SQL as their interface ala BigQuery). So if you know SQL but are tired of doing OLTP or whatever you can make the switch to a big data job fairly easily.

the place I just started is so loving protective of their drat TSQL server it's kinda pathetic

oh don't do a query against thousands of records hourly that might stress it :ohdear:

ugh ffs we need to fix this poo poo drat

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

you can use an Excel sheet as an ADO source to do the real work in a real language and just poo poo it back out into the sheet to make the marketing VP happy

I like to think of it as a Pittsburgh database

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

JawnV6 posted:

thought i had a "long time til no" story, but checking emails it was 6 weeks from "cool we'll get back to you" to "different direction sry"

ive been at this job for 9 months, some startup just emailed me from a paper resume i gave them during the last search. they actually saw that i have a job and are asking for recommendations of other folks, which i thought had a touch of class. so, any of you goobers wanna do FW at an IoT startup?

I haven't done anything firmware related since college so what are the odds that I'd be less bad than their current team?

please tell me they're really low

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

DuckConference posted:

to be fair Tumblr is probably the best language for writing modern microaggression services

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

cinci zoo sniper posted:

oh that's trivial. black Adidas track jacket and pants with 3 straight white stripes - from belt and collar to cuffs respectively. jacket only with two side pockets, much like pants. a monochrome t-shirt underneath. white sharp-toed leather shoes (moccasin style, with no laces and mediun-height heel, shorter than half-boots. black socks and black leather beanie.

:allears:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

RISCy Business posted:

it's a union joke

p sure it's a train joke so trains have claimed another thread :rip:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Double Bill posted:

Gave notice two weeks ago, followed by meetings with manager, manager's manager and manager's manager's manager in quick succession, all "trying to understand" why I'm leaving

How could it have been a surprise you motherfuckers, the company does literally nothing to keep non-management people happy and committed

"🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 mmmnope I got nothing"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

qirex posted:

no and why would anyone see your phone since during an interview it should be on do not disturb and out of sight

because that's where I keep my checklist of interview-the-company questions because I don't trust my memory

oh or maybe someone is proud of the app or site or what they made and can demo it on a phone I guess

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

AWWNAW posted:

I hope you get the apple job and escape from mumps

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

are signing bonuses a thing outside of the big west coast tech companies?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

cis autodrag posted:

he called. figgies are in my future. he did wrestle base pay out of me during the talk though.

condragulations

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Sapozhnik posted:

also we chase randroids and "race realists" and mra shitheads out with torches and pitchforks whereas every other computer nerd forum allows those people to fester because ostracizing people is always a really mean thing to do guys

I was ostracized once in high school for expressing my love for Omigaze Tokubetsu Shin and that pain taught me that I must respect what other nerds like /u/redpilljavaguru1488 think - some reddit user, probably, when clicking the up arrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189826(v=sql.90).aspx

• Locked thread