Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

poty posted:

just bombed an interview i think

like it was the whole morning, ended right at lunchtime and i didnt get invited to go have lunch with them

lmao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

make sure you expense them a $100 lunch

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm not flying 4+ hours in coach

lmao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

why do they ever hire the high-dollar remote guys in the first place?

use it or lose it headcount budgeting

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MononcQc posted:

I unironically keep paper notes of poo poo I do, experiments I run, and meetings I attend at work.

having an up to date CYA paper trail is the mark of a smart and experienced cog in the corporate machine

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i hope you at least expensed the mileage you put on your car at the IRS rate

and had a nice expensed meal

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ultravoices posted:

the librarian racket is "would you like to be considered for a job in sisterfuck, arkansas that pays about as much as a veterinary assistant but still requires a master's degree?"

no?

lol if you think arkansas still funds libraries

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

is India one of those places with a food culture thdt requires you to eat super loud? there's a couple guys who sit near me that eat so loud they can't just be not closing their mouths, it has to be that they're deliberately being noisy. it drives me insane. i think eating at your desk is really bad etiquette in a shared space, especially when you have a nonstop stream of snacks all day.

when i lived in india the corporate cafeteria where i was had a massive bank of sinks right in the middle forming a hallway that bridged to the two sections together

the sinks were for washing your hands after you ate because often you eat with your hands, makes sense

many people would groom themselves and clear their throats/sinuses really loudly and spit into the sinks, it was a constant chorus of this that echoed through the cafeteria

eventually you can tune it out

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Send it to your boss and ask them to print it for you since you're having computer issues

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

huhu posted:

I start my first FTE position on Tuesday and the company mailed me a letter with gift cards for several of the best restaurants in the area. I think I've made the right choice. Feels good to unsubscribe from all the job search emails.

no good or respectable restaurant offers gift cards

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

*takes hot date to michelin star restaurant*

*asks for check*

*plops 5 $25 plastic magstripe gift cards and then gives involved instructions to waiter on how to handle the remaining balance*

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

one time, as a result of delaying selecting an option for a work bonus, i ended up with $1400 in olive garden gift cards

lol

and you probably had to pay taxes on the value of those too

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

it eventually got formalized into a "kudos" web portal system where instead of a slip of paper it was all automated, down to radio buttons for the gift card value

there was a "$0" option, something I only knew because a guy on my team got one and he took the last 5 minutes of a technical presentation to throw it up on the screen and profusely thank our manager for the consideration

my first gig out of college had a similar kinda system, they called them "night out awards," but they were just cash

usually itd be a few hundred bucks, enough for a nice dinner and a show or whatever hence the name

that place had a company-wide freeze on raises, so my boss used that poo poo to give me a $4000 "night out" award in lieu of no raise/bonus

a cool & good boss

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

awww man, i worked hard on my av

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i too make all my fine dining choices based on how loud a man on tv screams

im sure guy fieri, wolfgang puck, and rachel ray chains have gift cards too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005